This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tomatobasil

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi SDN,

I have always been interested in dentistry from a young age, but allowed my family and undergrad advisor to bully me into being pre-med.
I'm in my junior year and was forcing myself to shadow, be a medical scribe, etc. And I was just hating every second of it. All the time I felt so stressed and conflicted, I cried all the time, and just felt like I was lying to myself every moment of every day.
I blamed it on the stress and rigor of my courses, told myself everyone felt this way, but something just wasn't right.
A month ago I shadowed a dentist, and everything just absolutely clicked. They reminded me not to listen to what anyone had to say, and that my career was up to me (and me only).

I just started a dental assistant job and I am absolutely loving it.
For the first time in my undergraduate career, I feel a sense of peace, belonging, and true purpose.

I read that I might get a lot of hate on here for switching from pre-med, but my intentions are very genuine so I hope people on here understand.
However, I am still very new to the pre-dental world, and I was just hoping that someone could point out weak spots in my app and give me some pointers, as there seem to be a lot of differences between pre-dent and med and I'm admittedly a little lost/overwhelmed with the amount of information.

- GPA and sGPA: 3.8
- Taking the DAT after studying over the summer
- Undergraduate research in paleontology and anatomical sciences lab (1 poster presentation on senior project, will be an author in a published paper by the time I graduate)
- Just started as a dental assistant, I plan to work this summer and throughout my senior year (I am also hoping to volunteer as a dental assistant in the coming months)
- Volunteer at natural history museum preparing fossils in paleo lab and giving tours (probably somewhere around 200 hours, will be continuing this as well my senior year)
- Barista for 3 years

I was hoping to apply after my senior year, but do you guys think I need another year to get more EC's?
I know I have a lot of shadowing to do and am missing leadership.
My advisor said people with high GPAs do not need to pad their apps with EC's, but everything I have read does not agree with this and I feel as though I can no longer rely on him for guidance.

Please no hate, thanks to anyone who took the time to read this.