-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
New York COM (NYCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013
Started by JamesLMT
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
.
Last edited:
My friends little brother is a photographer and I'm getting a nice one taken today. I'd invite you if you lived in sofla...
Thanks for looking out....
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No essays. It's more of a "CV" type of thing.
thanks! but i just browsed last year's thread and it says there is a Why NYCOM essay.
Last edited:
I havent' received a secondary from any of the DO schools I applied to except midwest chicago...am I suppose to send in LOR before they send secondaries?
No nycom you can start at anytime just go to the website. Do not send in any lors until after you send in secondaries.
"file complete, under review" e-mail just received 🙂 odd, usually NYCOM is slow with their whole process. Oh well, won't argue a good thing.
"file complete, under review" e-mail just received 🙂 odd, usually NYCOM is slow with their whole process. Oh well, won't argue a good thing.
Same here...it included a payment confirmation as well (which I payed ages ago).
But yeah, I guess Im glad its rolling here...
what did you guys put for hobbies? I like running and weight lifting?
Weight lifting +1 (but I hate running haha), snowboarding, basketball, broadway theater, and theoretical astrophysics/cosmology 🙂
I just listed them and put a quick 1 line snippet about each, since it asks to describe. For example, after basketball I mention I've played the since 6 years old and in high school and the club team in college. For theoretical astrophysics I mentioned my interest in star formation and dark matter. Etc...
No nycom you can start at anytime just go to the website. Do not send in any lors until after you send in secondaries.
So I just paid the fee. Am I suppose to send LOR after they get my secondaries? I think interfolio does it right away so i dont want to send it twice.
also there was no place to place my ID from aacomas?
Secondary submitted
So I just paid the fee. Am I suppose to send LOR after they get my secondaries? I think interfolio does it right away so i dont want to send it twice.
also there was no place to place my ID from aacomas?
You want to send lors after you get the confirmation of secondary email... takes 5 mins.
Complete today
👍 that was quick!
Complete today
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
👍 that was quick!
Hmm, I submitted everything last week. Should I worry?
Hmm, I submitted everything last week. Should I worry?
I wouldn't...still early 🙂
I called admissions today and they told me that they will start sending confirmation of apps at the middle of the august. Meanwhile, secondary app is available online @ https://guru.nyit.edu/Admissions/AdmissionsSuplementalApplication.aspx
On the website, it says I should submit my secondary after receiving confirmation from NYCOM that they have received my primary. Other DO schools have asked me to submit the secondary, so I know the AACOMA went through, but I have received no such e-mail from NYCOM. Should I submit the secondary anyway?
Representative told me that, " it is still early so we haven't looked at apps yet. However, if you are curious, you can fill out the secondary application online and submit it. we will confirm receipt at the end of the August."
So, sorry if this has already been answered, but are you all literally listing your experiences in the secondary or writing out a full description?
G
gmcguitar4
If anyone is currently attending there, did not having a DO LOR really hurt your chances? I have shadowed a DO before just one time but didn't get an LOR from him. I have an LOR from a primary care MD and another MD and professors.
Also on the application it gives 4 slots to enter the people writing you LOR's. Did any of you submit more than 4?
Also on the application it gives 4 slots to enter the people writing you LOR's. Did any of you submit more than 4?
If anyone is currently attending there, did not having a DO LOR really hurt your chances? I have shadowed a DO before just one time but didn't get an LOR from him. I have an LOR from a primary care MD and another MD and professors.
Also on the application it gives 4 slots to enter the people writing you LOR's. Did any of you submit more than 4?
Bump. I would also like to know the answer if anyone has an opinion!
If anyone is currently attending there, did not having a DO LOR really hurt your chances? I have shadowed a DO before just one time but didn't get an LOR from him. I have an LOR from a primary care MD and another MD and professors.
Also on the application it gives 4 slots to enter the people writing you LOR's. Did any of you submit more than 4?
I had more then 4, I just listed the 2 science professors they asked for, a non science, and 1 DO,
But I will send them all of my letters.
Also, I know of people who got in last year without a DO letter...but they also had a 30 MCAT and 3.8 GPA...so I don't know
Come on nycom...
If my school did a committee letter do I need to list the individuals that recommended me on the secondary?
I wonder how much longer until this school start pumping out interviews...
I submitted mine on the 7/25, didn't receive a complete email. what should I do?
Also, for their 2 science letters. can they be "other science" or "Behavioral science"?
You should ask the school about this. It would be unfortunate for your application to be delayed because you relied on a post from a forum.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
.
Last edited:
Does this mean there are no essays? These prompts just expect us to list things or do we answer in an essay format?
can someone please answer how we should approach the "list experiences" section. is it really a list?
This might be helpful in determining an II timeline:
"NYCOM has received your AACOMAS application, supplemental application and recommendation letters. The Admissions Committee continually reviews applications on a regular basis and will be interviewing students until April. We accept on a rolling basis and if there is something missing from your file the committee will make every effort to contact you.
Please be advised that we interview from November through April.
Best of luck!"
If they don't start interviewing until November, I wouldn't expect an II until late September at the earliest, what do you guys think?
"NYCOM has received your AACOMAS application, supplemental application and recommendation letters. The Admissions Committee continually reviews applications on a regular basis and will be interviewing students until April. We accept on a rolling basis and if there is something missing from your file the committee will make every effort to contact you.
Please be advised that we interview from November through April.
Best of luck!"
If they don't start interviewing until November, I wouldn't expect an II until late September at the earliest, what do you guys think?
This might be helpful in determining an II timeline:
"NYCOM has received your AACOMAS application, supplemental application and recommendation letters. The Admissions Committee continually reviews applications on a regular basis and will be interviewing students until April. We accept on a rolling basis and if there is something missing from your file the committee will make every effort to contact you.
Please be advised that we interview from November through April.
Best of luck!"
If they don't start interviewing until November, I wouldn't expect an II until late September at the earliest, what do you guys think?
This is what is was thinking however last years forum the first II did not go out until 10/6 and the majority of II until two weeks later.
So the "list" question...I just listed my experiences with dates, location (I've lived in several states) and position held. I figure that this is stuff already available on my initial application, so I'm not going crazy -- this is the down and dirty of what they need to make a decision in the 30 seconds it takes them to review my app at this point. Also, I just submitted it; I got a confirmation that my letters made it there, but nothing else. I didn't have a problem logging in so I figured just better to do so earlier than later...the worst they could do is send me a nastygram, which I don't foresee if they can't be trouble to send me an E-mail confirmation that they got my initial app in the first place...best of luck everyone...
.
Last edited:
My AACOMAS was verified on July 18th but I still haven't received a secondary, it's the last of 10 DO schools I applied to. Do they screen or are they just super slow to get them out?
My AACOMAS was verified on July 18th but I still haven't received a secondary, it's the last of 10 DO schools I applied to. Do they screen or are they just super slow to get them out?
Read the posts in the thread or use the search function...
It kinda stinks that they interview her so late since they're def in my top three. On the plus side, my D.O. may have submitted my LOR by the time the interviews roll around lol.
Yeah it does suck. Considering I can only afford to hold one DO acceptance it isn't looking to good for NYCOM. I don't know maybe they can get an interview in under the wire...
I'm curious about this school but the secondary seems to be really brief. I pretty much copy and pasted most of the information about volunteering and work experience into the application. I heard the stats for this school are really high in terms of GPA/MCAT, has anyone received an II from this school yet?
.
Last edited:
They don't send out invites since the secondary is available to everyone. Go here:
https://guru.nyit.edu/Admissions/AdmissionsSuplementalApplication.aspx
Fill it out and pay $60, it's pretty easy.
THANK YOU! I had no idea about this! I had just been impatiently checking my email a bazillion times a day for this secondary. Some other schools also have their secondaries available but they recommend for you to get an invite before filling it out, so I assumed this was also the case for this school.
.
Last edited:
I was wondering if someone can clarify something for me. The secondary asks
1."List all volunteer (medical and other) work experience (with dates)".
2. "Indicate your extracurricular activities and the extent of your involvement (officer positions, etc.) while enrolled as a student"
How does "volunteer work experience" differentiate from "extracurricular activities"? I always included volunteer work as an extracurricular activity. Do they mean something else by "volunteer work experience". I thought if you have a volunteer position, then thats not considered to be a "work" experience.
So confused. 😕
1."List all volunteer (medical and other) work experience (with dates)".
2. "Indicate your extracurricular activities and the extent of your involvement (officer positions, etc.) while enrolled as a student"
How does "volunteer work experience" differentiate from "extracurricular activities"? I always included volunteer work as an extracurricular activity. Do they mean something else by "volunteer work experience". I thought if you have a volunteer position, then thats not considered to be a "work" experience.
So confused. 😕
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
.
Last edited:
Anyone else not get a complete email? My secondary and letters have been in for a month.
Anyone else not get a complete email? My secondary and letters have been in for a month.
I got the complete email 1 day after submitting the payment.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
I talked to the director of admissions at length at a recruiting fair and she never mentioned any of this. When a school does something different than all the other schools you'd think they would at least publicize this information during recruiting fairs. At least I know how I'll be spending my Saturday now!This one was available to fill out on July 1st, i wouldn't have known if I didn't stumble on this link.
http://www.nyit.edu/images/uploads/nycom/FAQ_2012Admiss.pdf
Maybe they interview so late because it's difficult to compile enough applicants due to their poor marketing.
Anyone else not get a complete email? My secondary and letters have been in for a month.
I'm pretty sure mine's been in for multiple months at this point...
For reference the first documented interview invite last year for NYCOM was 10/6 and was for later in the month.
Pretty much forgot about NYCOM! Haha.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 270
- Views
- 71K
- Replies
- 395
- Views
- 102K
- Replies
- 2K
- Views
- 417K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 21K