New York COM (NYCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was wondering if someone can clarify something for me. The secondary asks
1."List all volunteer (medical and other) work experience (with dates)".

2. "Indicate your extracurricular activities and the extent of your involvement (officer positions, etc.) while enrolled as a student"

How does "volunteer work experience" differentiate from "extracurricular activities"? I always included volunteer work as an extracurricular activity. Do they mean something else by "volunteer work experience". I thought if you have a volunteer position, then thats not considered to be a "work" experience.

So confused. :confused:

can I get some more input on this, please.

Members don't see this ad.

can I get some more input on this, please.

Sure the top one want all non paid experience you have. Such as volunteering in a clinic or a homeless shelter. All non paid work goes here.

The next one wants everything else such as clubs, activities you did for fun or any other note able activity.

It is that simple. School are different in how they titles things some schools want all work under work. Some have two areas one for paid work and one for non paid. Some just have work and ECs. Put it where you believe it best fits and trust that they will understand what you mean.

Members don't see this ad :)
any updates on II?

First invite last year went out on 10/6.

There's a list out there of when the first recorded invite for each program went out last year. I don't think many people know that.

First invite last year went out on 10/6.

There's a list out there of when the first recorded invite for each program went out last year. I don't think many people know that.

can you link it or pm me it? thank you in advance

can you link it or pm me it? thank you in advance

Here is a copy of the post from the "interview invites this week?" thread.

"LMU-DCOM: 08/09
Western/COMP: 08/23
OSU-COM: 09/04
UMDNJ: 08/22
TUCOM-NV: 08/30
AZCOM: 07/29
DMU-COM: 07/21
NYCOM: 10/06
LECOM-Brandenton: 07/25
NSU-COM: 08/03
PIKEVILLE: 09/01
TUCOM-CA: 08/10
WCU-COM: 08/18
LECOM-Erie: 07/07
LECOM-Seton Hill: Thread was dead. Saw no invites.
RVU-COM: 08/08
PCOM: 08/22
ATSU (Arizona): 08/10
ATSU (Kirksville): 08/05
CCOM: 08/16
PCOM-GA: 09/21
TOURO-NY: 09/13
KCUMB: 08/15
WVSOM: 08/09
MSU-COM: USUALLY NO INTERVIEWS. Decision made from primary/secondary submissions.
PNWU-COM: 09/06
VCOM: 09/07
UNECOM: 09/06
OUCOM: 08/30"

In the future you can search for things like that using the search function :).

Here is a copy of the post from the "interview invites this week?" thread.

"LMU-DCOM: 08/09
Western/COMP: 08/23
OSU-COM: 09/04
UMDNJ: 08/22
TUCOM-NV: 08/30
AZCOM: 07/29
DMU-COM: 07/21
NYCOM: 10/06
LECOM-Brandenton: 07/25
NSU-COM: 08/03
PIKEVILLE: 09/01
TUCOM-CA: 08/10
WCU-COM: 08/18
LECOM-Erie: 07/07
LECOM-Seton Hill: Thread was dead. Saw no invites.
RVU-COM: 08/08
PCOM: 08/22
ATSU (Arizona): 08/10
ATSU (Kirksville): 08/05
CCOM: 08/16
PCOM-GA: 09/21
TOURO-NY: 09/13
KCUMB: 08/15
WVSOM: 08/09
MSU-COM: USUALLY NO INTERVIEWS. Decision made from primary/secondary submissions.
PNWU-COM: 09/06
VCOM: 09/07
UNECOM: 09/06
OUCOM: 08/30"

In the future you can search for things like that using the search function :).

danke

Is this school for serious bro?

"Happy thanksgiving, and by the way we received your application, here's our secondary."

will be sending in my secondary soon. kinda makes me glad that they haven't started interviewing yet as this doesn't make my app too late. I have to say, I look forward to visiting NY for an interview:xf:. Been there once before and wasn't impressed, so will like to give NY a second shot. ;)

Anyone else have a mini-heart attack when you saw an email from "NYCOM Admissions" today? Lol

will be sending in my secondary soon. kinda makes me glad that they haven't started interviewing yet as this doesn't make my app too late. I have to say, I look forward to visiting NY for an interview:xf:. Been there once before and wasn't impressed, so will like to give NY a second shot. ;)

it's not really in a place where you'd get the "NYC" experience; it's out in long island. no doubt the area is cleaner/nicer/more calm than the nyc area though. it's in the suburbs.

gl!

Members don't see this ad :)
do we have to resubmit our secondary from the email today? What to do what to do!

I am a little bit frustrated and wondering if anyone else had this problem. I read through the thread and did not see anything like this... I tried to do the secondary twice. The first time I entered my information and then hit "save and quit" when I returned to the application my information was all blank (volunteer, work, etc.). I reentered EVERYTHING, hit "save and continue" and it brought me back to the log in screen, where I logged in and once again everything I entered was gone. Kind of frustrated. i don't know if I should even bother trying to redo it at this point. Has anyone experienced this? Any advice? Please. I was so happy that it was completed (at least I thought it was). thanks.

I am a little bit frustrated and wondering if anyone else had this problem. I read through the thread and did not see anything like this... I tried to do the secondary twice. The first time I entered my information and then hit "save and quit" when I returned to the application my information was all blank (volunteer, work, etc.). I reentered EVERYTHING, hit "save and continue" and it brought me back to the log in screen, where I logged in and once again everything I entered was gone. Kind of frustrated. i don't know if I should even bother trying to redo it at this point. Has anyone experienced this? Any advice? Please. I was so happy that it was completed (at least I thought it was). thanks.

I actually got it to work. I don't know if it is my computer or what the issue is but just incase anyone has this issue, I am saving it section by section which seems to be working, thankfully :)

do we have to resubmit our secondary from the email today? What to do what to do!

No, I called the office yesterday and they said the email got sent to everyone, and to ignore it if you sent it in already.

So did you guys just upload a passport pic or any other 2x2 pic? Does it matter? Is it even necessary to upload a picture since it gives you the option to skip upload???

is it too late to submit my supplementary app now? i just got an invite sometime last week

is it too late to submit my supplementary app now? i just got an invite sometime last week
There accepting applications until 3/15/2013, why would you think it is to late to send in your secondary.
The first round of appointments went out. There is still plenty of time....

There accepting applications until 3/15/2013, why would you think it is to late to send in your secondary.
The first round of appointments went out. There is still plenty of time....

where did you read that the first round of interview invites went out?

where did you read that the first round of interview invites went out?

I was wondering the same thing, where did you read or hear about 1st round of invites being sent?

So did you guys just upload a passport pic or any other 2x2 pic? Does it matter? Is it even necessary to upload a picture since it gives you the option to skip upload???

I just put on a shirt and tie after shaving and had someone click a bunch of pictures of me from the chest up

II didn't go out yet to my knowledge. I called them last week...first interview invites in October. They interview in November, NOT IN DECEMBER, and then restart in January till they're full!

it's not really in a place where you'd get the "NYC" experience; it's out in long island. no doubt the area is cleaner/nicer/more calm than the nyc area though. it's in the suburbs.

gl!

The truth.

I grew up 5 minutes from the campus and went to school around there. It's in a reallllly nice area. 100% need a car to get around though and it's about a 40 min train ride into the city.

Yes it is a really nice and rich neighborhood and the city not far either.

Does anyone know if they will accept a LOR from an employer if I have been out of college for some time? I am in a biomedical masters program at UMDNJ so all of our classes are science.

I saw this question asked earlier but i did not see a definitive answer. I submitted my AACOMAS primary application 9/17. I am not yet verified. I am managing my LOR through my health committee and the letters have been uploaded to virtualevals. Is it ok to fill out my secondary before my primary is verified and transmitted or should I wait?

stats are 3.6cGPA 3.7sGPA 33MCAT TX resident
Thanks!

I actually got it to work. I don't know if it is my computer or what the issue is but just incase anyone has this issue, I am saving it section by section which seems to be working, thankfully :)

I'm having the same problem. I filled out entire thing which was quite lengthy, then I click on save and continue... poof! All gone! I have to log in again and I have to start all over again. What the heck!?

I saw this question asked earlier but i did not see a definitive answer. I submitted my AACOMAS primary application 9/17. I am not yet verified. I am managing my LOR through my health committee and the letters have been uploaded to virtualevals. Is it ok to fill out my secondary before my primary is verified and transmitted or should I wait?

stats are 3.6cGPA 3.7sGPA 33MCAT TX resident
Thanks!
you can submit secondary even before primary, they have the secondary available to everyone in their website

you can submit secondary even before primary, they have the secondary available to everyone in their website

Ok thank you. I just wanted to make sure before I submitted it. I want to be complete as soon as possible and I didn't want to cause any problems by submitted it before AACOMAS even verifies my application.

anyone know how they view jersey applicants? Also, how competitive is their family medicine fast track program?

This is really weird. I've gotten II from other schools (LECOM and WVSOM) but when I called NYCOM they said they haven't received my primary application? How is that the others schools have received it but they haven't? They also have my completed secondary. I really hope that this stupid thing with the primaries won't delay my II from them.

I wonder if it is even wise to apply OOS. It has a 90 % instate. I am from the west coast.

So I sent them an email with the pdf that AACOMAS said they sent to them and the date it was released. The very next day I get an email saying that they have my primary, secondary, and LORs. Interesting.

I sent in my secondary in beginning of september. But I forgot to send my LOR's until last week :eek:. Got the email an hour ago. And scheduled for an afternoon interview on Thursday Nov. 8th.

I never got an email saying I was complete for NYCOM. Submitted my secondary around Sept 19th. AACOMAS was sent out july 13th

I received an interview as well. I scheduled my interview for November 6th in the afternoon. I was completed on 9/27. Any questions feel free :)

I received an interview as well. I scheduled my interview for November 6th in the afternoon. I was completed on 9/27. Any questions feel free :)
Did you get it by email? I'm freaking out...I haven't heard anything!!! THIS IS MY NUMBER 1 CHOICE :(
around what time did you guys get the ii?

Congrats to everyone who received an interview! When were you all complete?

Never mind, now that I scrolled up I see that you all already answered that, lol.