This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D.Howard

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a pre-dental student matriculating into dental school this fall and I am planning on applying to the NHSC scholarship. I understand that there are letters of recommendation that are needed and I am wondering if they are supposed to be letters from faculty or a current dentist or anyone? I want to ask people and not re-use the ones from my dental application.
 
I am a pre-dental student matriculating into dental school this fall and I am planning on applying to the NHSC scholarship. I understand that there are letters of recommendation that are needed and I am wondering if they are supposed to be letters from faculty or a current dentist or anyone? I want to ask people and not re-use the ones from my dental application.
I always recommend getting new letters, so I think you are in the right mindset by planning that. As far as who can write it, they are classified as “academic” and “non academic,” so it is pretty open. I would get a professor to write an “academic” letter and a non-dentist to write the other. Try and find someone who is either currently involved with the NHSC, a past scholar, an MPH or just someone who can speak to your strong volunteering background. If someone is a dentist who has one or more of those qualifications or is someone with which you volunteer by giving free or discounted dental services, then even better.