NHSC Dental Scholarship Questions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D.Howard

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a pre-dental student matriculating into dental school this fall and I am planning on applying to the NHSC scholarship. I understand that there are letters of recommendation that are needed and I am wondering if they are supposed to be letters from faculty or a current dentist or anyone? I want to ask people and not re-use the ones from my dental application.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a pre-dental student matriculating into dental school this fall and I am planning on applying to the NHSC scholarship. I understand that there are letters of recommendation that are needed and I am wondering if they are supposed to be letters from faculty or a current dentist or anyone? I want to ask people and not re-use the ones from my dental application.
I always recommend getting new letters, so I think you are in the right mindset by planning that. As far as who can write it, they are classified as “academic” and “non academic,” so it is pretty open. I would get a professor to write an “academic” letter and a non-dentist to write the other. Try and find someone who is either currently involved with the NHSC, a past scholar, an MPH or just someone who can speak to your strong volunteering background. If someone is a dentist who has one or more of those qualifications or is someone with which you volunteer by giving free or discounted dental services, then even better.

Reactions: 1 user