NHSC Scholarship 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are you applying to the NHSC this year?

• Yes

Votes: 121 62.4%
  • No

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 24 12.4%
  • already got it! :)

Votes: 18 9.3%

• Total voters
If one were to get disqualified do they tell you right away or do you wait until the end of Sept?
I’m not sure about that. I think he was only told that over the phone, but didn’t get anything official until the rejection email at the end of September.

Members don't see this ad.

How do you know that they did a credit check? My application still says "under review"?

How do you know that they did a credit check? My application still says "under review"?

You can check through Credit Karma. Just make an account and see your credit report. If it says you received a hard inquiry from Credco, then that means NHSC did a credit check on you.

Members don't see this ad :)
PA-S creeping here... received a finalist notification today! I personally received a phone call followed by an email for the finalist for award notification. Best of luck to those who are still waiting to hear :)

Reactions: 8 users
oh damn does that mean it's over for the rest of us?

I didn't get a finalist email -_-

Just updating this...

Credit Check: Shown on credit report from "Credco"
1st round - July 15
2nd round - ???
Finalist Notification: Recipients received an email to check portal for an update
1st round - Aug 6
2nd round - Aug 12
3rd round - Aug 20 - phone call before finalist email

Reactions: 4 users
So has the 3rd round of finalists been contacted yet or no?

Is it me or does it seem that more people were contacted in later rounds in previous years? Of course not everyone is on SDN but it seems that there was more activity.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else receive an email regarding a technical issue in the system with the confirmation of interest?

Did anyone else receive an email regarding a technical issue in the system with the confirmation of interest?
I didn’t, but I am a finalist. I wonder if that means I’ve been disqualified.

Anyone that received this scholarship have any tips? Any advice on making my application more competitive in 2020?

I didn’t, but I am a finalist. I wonder if that means I’ve been disqualified.

No, I doubt it. I think it's a GOOD thing you didn't get it, because that means your application/documents weren't "glitched"

The email says:
"There was a technical issue in the system with the confirmation of interest. Please accept or decline your Confirmation of interest in the NHSC scholarship award no later than Monday, August 26, 2019"

I logged in, and basically had to resubmit my w4, confirm I am interested, and EVF.. etc. I checked my new contract and my contract ID changed (went up). I hope this doesn't put me at a disadvantage. I am freaking out. :/

Reactions: 1 users
No, I doubt it. I think it's a GOOD thing you didn't get it, because that means your application/documents weren't "glitched"

The email says:
"There was a technical issue in the system with the confirmation of interest. Please accept or decline your Confirmation of interest in the NHSC scholarship award no later than Monday, August 26, 2019"

I logged in, and basically had to resubmit my w4, confirm I am interested, and EVF.. etc. I checked my new contract and my contract ID changed (went up). I hope this doesn't put me at a disadvantage. I am freaking out. :/
I feel like it’s a good thing you got the e-mail because they still want to consider you even with the glitch and not just discard you outright. I hope whatever you did this last time has gotten it taken care of!

M3, got my finalist notification a few hours ago. Wondering the same thing a few people have mentioned about what are the odds at this point of receiving or not receiving the scholarship. Anyone know how things got trimmed down last year?
Did you get an email about a technical glitch?

So this thread is focused on the scholarship but is there a thread for the loan repayment? Anyone here applying for loan repayment and heard anything?

Portal update completed. No countersignatures out yet it appears

Reactions: 3 users
I think it was August 30th for first round. And than frequent rounds came in 1st week of September!

Edit: combed thru last year's thread. The notification date was like Sep 16. That's way too long in future!

Last edited:
Would we not get an e-mail notification when countersignatures come out? Also, does receiving a countersignature mean we definitely got the scholarship?

Would we not get an e-mail notification when countersignatures come out? Also, does receiving a countersignature mean we definitely got the scholarship?
Nope. No notification of countersignatures are given. Only the final award notification.
It seems like once the countersignature is completed, because it is technically a contract, you definitely got it.

I think it was August 30th for first round. And than frequent rounds came in 1st week of September!

Edit: combed thru last year's thread. The notification date was like Sep 16. That's way too long in future!
Yes I checked earlier and it seemed to be around Friday September 14. :/

Portal scheduled maintenance for this Saturday. Maybe we'll hear some news next week!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
any news .. I havent gotten an email. but is there still hope? (just a credit check/ no offer)

Anyone that received this scholarship have any tips? Any advice on making my application more competitive in 2020?
Join a club that allows you to perform community service. I think NHSC really values service to under served populations and primary care.

Join a club that allows you to perform community service. I think NHSC really values service to under served populations and primary care.
Looks like being able to write a convincing essay carries a lot of weight.

Another portal scheduled maintenance for Saturday Sept 7th.

I don't think any updates happened after the other one, but maybe there will be some for this one. *fingers crossed*

Reactions: 2 users
Same here but I’m still hopeful.
Maybe I am missing something, but why are you still holding out hope? We already know 3 rounds of finalist emails went out and we know there is a history of 3 and only 3 rounds so why are you hoping for a 4th round with no evidence to support that hope?
Looks like being able to write a convincing essay carries a lot of weight.
I think if in all reality all you are is a middle or upper middle class suburbanite who isn't from and has no experience with rural and inner city populations then why would they give you a scholarship? The long term goal of the NHSC is to promote physicians who are going to stay in these areas for their entire careers, not just 2-4 years and then move back to the burbs. Besides, if you don't really want to work in these areas, you're not from there and have nothing in common culturally with the community, your service won't be as good and your pt's will know it. Quite honestly, if you have no intentions of staying in a rural or undeserved area after your commitment is over, I would hope you don't even apply. Every rural patient has had that doctor who can't hide that they are counting down the days until their contract is over and patients deserve better than that. You practice differently/better when you plan on staying in a community long term and in the medical field long term relationships are important.

Maybe I am missing something, but why are you still holding out hope? We already know 3 rounds of finalist emails went out and we know there is a history of 3 and only 3 rounds so why are you hoping for a 4th round with no evidence to support that hope?
Honestly, there is no reason to tear people down for holding onto hope for something they want badly. It doesn’t hurt anyone for them to think positively. They are also probably sharing so that they know they’re not alone while looking for support.

Guys who are still waiting, even if it doesn’t work out this time, I will be wishing everyone who chooses to reapply next year all the best

Reactions: 5 users

I think if in all reality all you are is a middle or upper middle class suburbanite who isn't from and has no experience with rural and inner city populations then why would they give you a scholarship? The long term goal of the NHSC is to promote physicians who are going to stay in these areas for their entire careers, not just 2-4 years and then move back to the burbs. Besides, if you don't really want to work in these areas, you're not from there and have nothing in common culturally with the community, your service won't be as good and your pt's will know it. Quite honestly, if you have no intentions of staying in a rural or undeserved area after your commitment is over, I would hope you don't even apply. Every rural patient has had that doctor who can't hide that they are counting down the days until their contract is over and patients deserve better than that. You practice differently/better when you plan on staying in a community long term and in the medical field long term relationships are important.

Are you stressed out or something? I'm not sure why you decided to tear into this person. Bullgator has a valid point that if you're not able to write a convincing essay of your future plans, you're doing yourself a disservice. That doesn't mean that you're lying in your essays.

Also - I'm middle class and got the scholarship.

Reactions: 3 users
When exactly did all three rounds of finalist emails go out?

Here's the updated timeline DentalGloss made a couple weeks ago. There hasn't been much movement after Aug 20th.

Credit Check: Shown on credit report from "Credco"
1st round - July 15
2nd round - ???
Finalist Notification: Recipients received an email to check portal for an update
1st round - Aug 6
2nd round - Aug 12
3rd round - Aug 20 - phone call before finalist email

So I don’t understand why can’t we just be notified if our applications have been denied. Why make us wait until September 30

Honestly, there is no reason to tear people down for holding onto hope for something they want badly. It doesn’t hurt anyone for them to think positively. They are also probably sharing so that they know they’re not alone while looking for support.

Guys who are still waiting, even if it doesn’t work out this time, I will be wishing everyone who chooses to reapply next year all the best

Thank you.

Are you stressed out or something? I'm not sure why you decided to tear into this person. Bullgator has a valid point that if you're not able to write a convincing essay of your future plans, you're doing yourself a disservice. That doesn't mean that you're lying in your essays.

Also - I'm middle class and got the scholarship.
I grew up middle class too but just in a very rural and poor area. I didn't say just middle class. I said middleclass with no connections to rural or under-served areas. But that's not what I want to focus on.

What I want to say is, I apologize to everyone for the top half of my post, I did not intend to publish it because I did realized it was a little harsh. I did not realize it was still attached to the top of the post when I replied so once again I apologize. Since there is now nothing I can do to erase the comment from this thread, I want to say I know how people feel. I didn't get the scholarship last year, I didn't get accepted for the military scholarship, I did not get accepted for a 25% of tuition scholarship offered by my school even though only 4 people were eligible, and I did not get accepted into any of the medical schools I wanted. Trust me I am a very close friend with Disappointment. In fact, I go through life expecting to be told no. I assume the time I spend completing scholarship applications will just be a waste. Even as a finalist I expect to have the rug pulled out from under me. It is healthy to accept when you are not getting what you want so you can move forward and focus on the next goal, and it probably isn't right to give others a false sense of hope when there isn't any logical justification for it. So I wasn't trying to be a jerk, but yes there is a time when you let things go so you can focus on the next step.

For those of you who didn't get the scholarship this year, buck up, study hard, get involved in clubs and service projects that involve service to undeserved populations and write amazing essays next year and try try try again. Just like you, if for whatever reason I don't get it this year, (I am terrified to allow myself to hope I will because of the disappointment if I don't) I will be applying next year.

Okay so if I'm not mistaken I think somebody once posted something about how for the most part being apart of the 1st round of finalist notifications should in theory put you in the clear regarding actually getting a signed offer, then basically subsequent rounds were based on how many people they think will not accept the award from previous rounds. Just wondering if anyone else has heard anything different or if that's basically the gist of things?

I'm not sure if you're attacking what I said or not, but I'm just going to say this: I worked at a low-income clinic before applying to dental school and that is what made me work so hard to get in. I would love to go back to that same clinic and practice, with or without the NHSC, because that clinic and those doctors are what drove me to get back on the dental path. I've done a lot of volunteer work with low-income/free clinics aside from my work at the aforementioned clinic and public health is something that is very important to me. However, I know my essays weren't stellar. I have a number of reasons that I could give as to why I submitted just decent essays, but I don't see why that should carry so much weight. Anyone can fake their feelings/intentions on paper while in reality their true motivation is to just get the money and get out as soon as their time is up. If the NHSC wants people that are truly in it for the right reasons, why lean so heavily on essays?

I'm not sure if you're attacking what I said or not, but I'm just going to say this: I worked at a low-income clinic before applying to dental school and that is what made me work so hard to get in. I would love to go back to that same clinic and practice, with or without the NHSC, because that clinic and those doctors are what drove me to get back on the dental path. I've done a lot of volunteer work with low-income/free clinics aside from my work at the aforementioned clinic and public health is something that is very important to me. However, I know my essays weren't stellar. I have a number of reasons that I could give as to why I submitted just decent essays, but I don't see why that should carry so much weight. Anyone can fake their feelings/intentions on paper while in reality their true motivation is to just get the money and get out as soon as their time is up. If the NHSC wants people that are truly in it for the right reasons, why lean so heavily on essays?
Not at all! I agree with you wholeheartedly! I would hope the persons deciding who gets the NHSC scholarship put almost all the weight on actual proven dedication to underserved people & not better written essays full of fuzzy feeling future intentions that make promises which as you said are easily faked. Perhaps they do & there are still so many qualified candidates that deserving persons such as yourself don't get the scholarship. As I said, I didn't get the scholarship the first year I applied. Try again, I think they may like to see repeat applicants. In the end though, who gets selected & who doesn't is as mysterious as why 1 school admits you & another does not. I believe my LORs also had a lot to do with me getting a finalist email. The other thing I will say is I struggle to reveal my emotion in essays, I find it cheezy & like you said easily faked. I don't want anyone to think I am putting on a show. Although I made sure to list things that proved my dedication to rural healthcare, I also allowed some of my emotion to come through. Were my essays good? Maybe, maybe not, I don't consider myself a great writer, I just did the best I could, it's all we can ever do, & hope it is good enough.

I've got a good feeling about tomorrow!