Non-science major, GPA barely over 3.0, low pre-req GPA... do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chris1004

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's my story. I graduated UC Irvine with a bachelor's degree in performing arts with a GPA of 3.1. (I had some major family/social life issues during my first two years of college and got C's/D's/F's...) Even as a music major, I knew that music wasn't something that I could do to sustain a living, and kept an eye on healthcare careers. I was attracted to pharmacy from the beginning, but for some reason, I thought I was never smart enough for the "hard sciences"... So I first looked into occupational therapy. (The only sciences that are required for OT is anatomy & physiology). But I soon realized that it would be an awfully boring career to do for the rest of my life... Then I looked into nursing in hopes of becoming an NP. In order to do that, I had to take a few more science classes. (microbiology, gen chem I) I applied to direct-entry master's nursing programs for people without a bachelor's in nursing, and have been accepted into a school out of state which begins next month. But now that the reality has set in, I realized that what I REALLY want to do is pharmacy, and that I've been merely trying to "settle" as an NP... So I'm thinking about deferring my admission for a year. I know that there is a saturation of pharmacy grads right now and unless you get into the top schools, you will most likely end up in retail. (IF you're able to find a job, that is) But that doesn't matter to me... Even if it takes a few years for me to find a job, I think I am willing to risk it. Thankfully, I have parents who are willing to pay up to 50k of my tuition...

The only question is... will I ever get into a school? I know that my major isn't even in math/science yet my GPA is horribly low. Although I did get into a program for a master's in nursing this year, I was actually rejected from 5 other master's programs that I applied to which was quite a reality check. I don't know how competitive pharmacy programs are compared to direct-entry master's in nursing programs, but I'm assuming they are much more competitive. I'm willing to go to any school that accepts me as long as it's accredited.... I live in SoCal and I know that a new school called Marshall B. Ketchum just opened up... Here are my stats:

Anatomy: B
Physiology: A
Microbiology: B
Gen Chem I: C+

Still need to take gen chem II, O-chem, physics, calculus, and biology.
I have A's in most of the non-science prerequisites.

I have volunteer experience in a few hospitals in Southern California, and also some outpatient physical/occupational therapy clinics & a skilled nursing facility. I do NOT have any experience in pharmacy but am planning to get some soon.

Members don't see this ad.

So here's my story. I graduated UC Irvine with a bachelor's degree in performing arts with a GPA of 3.1. (I had some major family/social life issues during my first two years of college and got C's/D's/F's...) Even as a music major, I knew that music wasn't something that I could do to sustain a living, and kept an eye on healthcare careers. I was attracted to pharmacy from the beginning, but for some reason, I thought I was never smart enough for the "hard sciences"... So I first looked into occupational therapy. (The only sciences that are required for OT is anatomy & physiology). But I soon realized that it would be an awfully boring career to do for the rest of my life... Then I looked into nursing in hopes of becoming an NP. In order to do that, I had to take a few more science classes. (microbiology, gen chem I) I applied to direct-entry master's nursing programs for people without a bachelor's in nursing, and have been accepted into a school out of state which begins next month. But now that the reality has set in, I realized that what I REALLY want to do is pharmacy, and that I've been merely trying to "settle" as an NP... So I'm thinking about deferring my admission for a year. I know that there is a saturation of pharmacy grads right now and unless you get into the top schools, you will most likely end up in retail. (IF you're able to find a job, that is) But that doesn't matter to me... Even if it takes a few years for me to find a job, I think I am willing to risk it. Thankfully, I have parents who are willing to pay up to 50k of my tuition...

The only question is... will I ever get into a school? I know that my major isn't even in math/science yet my GPA is horribly low. Although I did get into a program for a master's in nursing this year, I was actually rejected from 5 other master's programs that I applied to which was quite a reality check. I don't know how competitive pharmacy programs are compared to direct-entry master's in nursing programs, but I'm assuming they are much more competitive. I'm willing to go to any school that accepts me as long as it's accredited.... I live in SoCal and I know that a new school called Marshall B. Ketchum just opened up... Here are my stats:

Anatomy: B
Physiology: A
Microbiology: B
Gen Chem I: C+

Still need to take gen chem II, O-chem, physics, calculus, and biology.
I have A's in most of the non-science prerequisites.

I have volunteer experience in a few hospitals in Southern California, and also some outpatient physical/occupational therapy clinics & a skilled nursing facility. I do NOT have any experience in pharmacy but am planning to get some soon.

Not sure what your expecting because your far from taking any pre-reqs worth looking at...your awfully lucky it seems to be in that masters program and NP rest assure is not a boring career (actually write scripts, something a pharmacist can't do). Once you get passed organic chemistry then bring it to light on here. A's in no science classes might as well not exist.

Shadowing won't do it you need to actually wrk as a tech for your own sake. 50k doesn't take care of the other 75% + of costs since you don't care where you go school wise. Honestly, think about what your doing, study hard as if it's med school so you meet ALL pre-reqs in any science field (at least most). If you struggle now how you gonna handle 17-19 credits of science courses in any career choice??? Really think hard on this then make a move later down the road

What is it about pharmacy exactly you would prefer over being a NP? What about NP makes you think you're "settling"?

Members don't see this ad :)
California is already extremely saturated with 8 fully accredited pharmacy schools. There are still 5 more that are yet to graduate their first class in 2018-2019. Just imagine how the job market will be when another massive wave of new grads hit the market. As a result, pharmacy school admissions have become a joke. Just about anyone can get in as long as you're willing to sign away $200k+ to any school that accepts you.

$50k in tuition is nothing compared to the total amount of tuition you will end up paying, which would be a minimum of $200k in California. Let's say you graduate with $200k in loans (remember that interest starts accruing the moment you take out those loans). You also mention that you don't mind being unemployed for a "few" years, which we'll assume 2. Over that period, your loan balance will increase by another $25-30k assuming you defer payments. Are you really planning to just sit at home as you watch your student loan interest balloon each year?

There are much better professions out there, i.e. computer programming, finance, accounting, engineering, the trades, etc. that offer better job prospects, better quality of life, gross salary as good as pharmacy if not higher, and do not require you to take out $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years in school. These jobs are in high demand especially in CA, whereas as a pharmacist you will most definitely have to move away and may be locked out of the state indefinitely due to the lack of jobs and extreme competition from a combination of new grads - that is if the jobs in BFE are not already taken.

Reactions: 1 user
What stoichiometrist says is true. But considering you really like pharmacy, then I would consider going into a state school to try to minimize your student debt. If you want to stay in CA, unfortunately the odds of you getting a staffing job right out of school are very slim without residency...and even then that's hard cause the state is the most saturated in the country. You would have to go into the boonies somewhere in Nowhereville, Wyoming.

The rigor depends on the school. If you aim for the "top" pharmacy school programs, then it would be more competitive to enter than any standard nursing program. Some people at my university, who I thought weren't the brightest in the crayon box, got into a good nursing program. That's not to say that nursing is easy. It definitely isn't. But I would say that nursing has more variety in its field because of its strong lobbying. NP is basically a product of this lobbying that nurses wanted more autonomy and pay. They got it and now they will apparently "replace" GP doctors...which won't happen for a good decade or two. And even then I'm not too sure if the general public will receive that prospect very well. But I've also seen sub-standard students get into pharmacy, med and dental.

People say pharmacy and other allied health professions are all med school rejects, but some people got into med school (check med forum) with a 3.2-3.4 GPA. So it's not always the grades, but it's sometimes connections, determination or characteristics...and luck.

If you want to be a pharmacist, go ahead and do pharmacy. But by god DO NOT go into a new school...that is nearly gambling with your time and money. Go somewhere that's accredited and well-known...and cheap. Look at their records and see how their graduates are doing. At least try UCSD or USC. If you're flexible, try to apply OOS to other state schools. People with a 3.1 GPA have gotten into good schools. Just do better on everything else.

California is already extremely saturated with 8 fully accredited pharmacy schools. There are still 5 more that are yet to graduate their first class in 2018-2019. Just imagine how the job market will be when another massive wave of new grads hit the market. As a result, pharmacy school admissions have become a joke. Just about anyone can get in as long as you're willing to sign away $200k+ to any school that accepts you.

$50k in tuition is nothing compared to the total amount of tuition you will end up paying, which would be a minimum of $200k in California. Let's say you graduate with $200k in loans (remember that interest starts accruing the moment you take out those loans). You also mention that you don't mind being unemployed for a "few" years, which we'll assume 2. Over that period, your loan balance will increase by another $25-30k assuming you defer payments. Are you really planning to just sit at home as you watch your student loan interest balloon each year?

There are much better professions out there, i.e. computer programming, finance, accounting, engineering, the trades, etc. that offer better job prospects, better quality of life, gross salary as good as pharmacy if not higher, and do not require you to take out $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years in school. These jobs are in high demand especially in CA, whereas as a pharmacist you will most definitely have to move away and may be locked out of the state indefinitely due to the lack of jobs and extreme competition from a combination of new grads - that is if the jobs in BFE are not already taken.

Why are you trolling on every post?!?? Like I literally see you write the same things

As a 3rd year pharmacy student, go into Nurse practicioner school.

The salaries are roughly the same, NP is cheaper, and you have a much braoder level of coverage.