This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorMeowMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are so many nontrads out there with incredibly unique experiences. I've been reading many posts on this forum and finally decided it was time to share my experience and ask for a little advice.

I have been in the Veterinary field for 8 years now, but have wanted to be a physician since I was 14 years old. I am currently 27 years old. When I started in vetmed, I worked as a receptionist for about 10 months before I became a Veterinary Assistant (I showed interest and picked it up very quickly). In December 2013 I took the VTNE (last year for someone with 5+ years of experience to take the exam without schooling) and passed, becoming a Licensed Veterinary Technician.

I have experience in general practice and emergency vetmed. Currently working at a GP where I am the only LVT on staff and mainly monitor anesthetic procedures.

In 2011 I went back to school at a CC as a pre-med student and transferred to university in 2013. I have worked full time all the while I've been in school, so my GPA has suffered. I currently have a 3.1 (there is an upward trend my senior year) and am finishing my final course (calculus) to complete my BS in Biology this quarter.
I have taken the MCAT twice now and received the same score both times (489).

While I realize my current GPA and MCAT make it very unlikely for me to be accepted at this point, I refuse to give up. My current plan is to take an MCAT prep course from January to March, then retake the MCAT in April.

In addition to my vetmed experiences, I also have volunteering and shadowing experiences in human medicine. I also have some research experience from my UG. Is my current plan really achievable?

Members don't see this ad.

As many like to say on SDN, the MD ship has sailed but with retakes and an improved MCAT you could still do D.O. and trust me D.O.'s are pretty bad @!!. I just watched a D.O. OB do a C-section and tubal ligation so you can still do just about anything as a D.O., including surgery.

Reactions: 1 user
As many like to say on SDN, the MD ship has sailed but with retakes and an improved MCAT you could still do D.O. and trust me D.O.'s are pretty bad @!!. I just watched a D.O. OB do a C-section and tubal ligation so you can still do just about anything as a D.O., including surgery.

The vascular surgeon I worked for was a DO. He pioneered endovascular carotid stenting, the use of new peripheral angioplasty devices, and endovascular AAA repair at our hospital.

Reactions: 1 user
GPA and MCAT are both lethal for MD schools. Doing a postbac will afford the opportunity for improving the GPA. Your MCAT score is an 18 on the old test. I dont think DO schools would consider you with that. What went wrong? how far apart were your MCATS? how did you prep? If you can increase your GPA to 3.5ish and score 505 and above DO schools start becoming a high liklihood. Good luck.