This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zidanechamp10

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

26 year old nontraditional student here. Graduated from a 4 year university back in 2013 with a double major in Economics and International Business. After graduating I played professional soccer for a couple years. Unfortunately that got cut short due to injuries. I now own my own business, a restaurant, and am doing well. Over the last year, especially due to my soccer related injuries, I've really developed an interest for the health care world. After taking Anatomy & Phys 1 this semester, dentistry specifically is something I'm interested in. Due to running my own business during the day I'm only able to take the pre-requisites at a community college. Is this okay? Can ALL my science pre-reqs be takin at a CC and still manage to get interviews to public and private dental schools?

My overall gpa is a 3.4. With all A's in the pre-reqs I should be able to get it up to a 3.6/3.7. Im hoping with a good DAT score, volunteer/shadowing hours, and LORs along with the A's in science pre reqs at CC I should be in good shape to apply right?

Please let me know what you guys think. I'd love to get some insight and guidance. Any advice you may have would be great!

Thank you!

Some schools have limits regarding how many science credits can come from CC. I would take some at CC, but for the upper level science courses, I think it would be best to take them at a four year university. Often times, state school have classes that begin at the early evening. Maybe you can try to adjust your work schedule?

Additionally, you will need shadowing and volunteer hours. Most schools have minimum requirements for shadowing, so be aware of that. As for volunteering, many schools like to see evidence that community is important to you, and this is a great way to showcase that.

Reactions: 1 users
Some schools have limits regarding how many science credits can come from CC. I would take some at CC, but for the upper level science courses, I think it would be best to take them at a four year university. Often times, state school have classes that begin at the early evening. Maybe you can try to adjust your work schedule?

Additionally, you will need shadowing and volunteer hours. Most schools have minimum requirements for shadowing, so be aware of that. As for volunteering, many schools like to see evidence that community is important to you, and this is a great way to showcase that.

Also a career changer here. I second everything said by @Carlsaganlvr10. Keep in mind that you don't have to finish all of the pre-reqs before you apply but it definitely makes sense to do all of the classes that will show up on the DAT before taking it (inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, and genetics, cell/molecular bio, and physio/anatomy). Make sure you apply early and take the DAT BEFORE you apply. If you've only taken those 2 classes/working full-time then you are probably looking to apply the 19-20 cycle? Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.6-3.7 is solid along with a 20+ AA on your DAT. I got close to 3.3-ish GPA in undergrad and working for 5 years in various industries and received 5 interviews with 3 acceptances (withdrew 1 interview invite). Convey maturity in your personal statement and get your shadowing hours (getting actual paid dental assisting hours is a plus) and you should have absolutely no problems getting interviews and eventually acceptances.

Keep in mind that I was the guy that a lot of SDN regulars threw shade at because of my low-ish GPA and "big-town" origins, but am currently thriving and kicking ass in a passive-aggressive-town dental school right now.

Reactions: 2 users
3.6-3.7 is solid along with a 20+ AA on your DAT. I got close to 3.3-ish GPA in undergrad and working for 5 years in various industries and received 5 interviews with 3 acceptances (withdrew 1 interview invite). Convey maturity in your personal statement and get your shadowing hours (getting actual paid dental assisting hours is a plus) and you should have absolutely no problems getting interviews and eventually acceptances.

Keep in mind that I was the guy that a lot of SDN regulars threw shade at because of my low-ish GPA and "big-town" origins, but am currently thriving and kicking ass in a passive-aggressive-town dental school right now.

I am in a similar situation as the OP & am currently making preparations to pursue dental full time beginning this summer. I have owned my own business & into a traveling consulting the position for a larger corporation. Nothing matures and refocus one like having to earn a profit.

How does one "convey maturity in your personal statement" as you suggest? All research agrees that maturity is a huge, massive benefit that non-traditional have & can often compensate for subpar numbers is a more mature attitude. I am just curious as to how one conveys this in writing. Discuss a passion for community involvement and society improvement with actual examples to support?

Your story is super interesting, and I can tell you from personal experience that my interviewers gushed over the unusual things about my application. I had pretty good stats, but received even more interviews than I expected due to my experiences.

But don't take all your prereqs at CC. Find a post-bacc program at a 4 year school - they'll give you night classes.

Reactions: 1 user
I am in a similar situation as the OP & am currently making preparations to pursue dental full time beginning this summer. I have owned my own business & into a traveling consulting the position for a larger corporation. Nothing matures and refocus one like having to earn a profit.

How does one "convey maturity in your personal statement" as you suggest? All research agrees that maturity is a huge, massive benefit that non-traditional have & can often compensate for subpar numbers is a more mature attitude. I am just curious as to how one conveys this in writing. Discuss a passion for community involvement and society improvement with actual examples to support?
I don't know what your story is, but here's the general concept that has worked tremendously well for me -

Demonstrate that you have a life and interests and some perspective on the world. Think of it in contrast to a fresh-faced 21 year old who has been on the straight and narrow, is shaking nervous to interview, wears the strictest SDN approved black conservative attire on the tour, all ECs have revolved around the singular goal of getting into dental school, etc.

It's no offense to that kid, because they've done a great thing in having direction at such a young age.

But if you can come across as a polished adult who (for example) doesn't need special coaching to communicate well with a 40 YO faculty or 60 YO patient, that in itself is highly appealing.

So I guess I'd say if you can project calm, confidence, enthusiasm without being desperate to prove yourself, you'll be in good shape.

Reactions: 2 users
I am also a non trad student in your situation. I debated attending CC, but ultimately decided to quit working and enrolled full-time at my state university to get the pre-reqs from a four year school. Money is tight, but I am making it work. The sacrifice in income will be worth a transcript from a four year school IMO. I do not know if I am just wasting money, but I feel like I am maximizing my application competitiveness. But maybe I'm just a sucker. Who knows.

If you search these boards, this question has been asked a million times and answered in every possible way. I think the answer is, it depends.

I would also like to apply to a few particular schools that do not accept CC credits, so do your research there.

Buy that ADEA newsletter thing if you haven't already. It conveniently lists all the pre-reqs in one place.

When you all refer to 'upper level' science courses, which are you referencing? i.e. do you mean O Chem would be looked down upon if taken at a CC? Or was that meant to say go to a 4 year university if you plan on taking classes at an even higher degree? This is coming from someone currently taking gen chem and gen bio at a CC in hopes of applying in the 2019 Summer window.