mabuakar

2+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2018
Hey everyone,

I’m applying for the 2021 cycle and when I did my AMCAS app, I selected “no” when asked if i believed I was a disadvantaged student. To my surprise, AAMC designated me as disadvantaged when my app was verified. Although I am a first-generation American born to immigrant Arabic-speaking parents who did not complete their college education and we had to rely on some social services when I was younger, my parents worked hard to still give my siblings and I good lives and helped us succeed. I saw the struggles that many others around me faced and I didn’t feel like my struggles were nearly as significant as others who are considered disadvantaged. I didn’t think I should “play that card”.

A lot of secondary apps ask a generic question like “is there anything else you want the admissions committee to be aware of?” Does anyone have any recommendations about whether or not I should talk about this and how might be the best way to approach it?

Any help would be extremely appreciated! Best of luck to everyone else applying!

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
The fact that you did not check the disadvantaged box (despite being designated EO1) is completely fine, even excellent.
You can use other places in the application to talk about your experience as a 1st generation American.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads