Nova Southeastern?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who have been accepted and are going to attend the program have you received anything regarding orientation, books ect.??

Members don't see this ad.

For those who have been accepted and are going to attend the program have you received anything regarding orientation, books ect.??

Not yet. I got an email back in December saying to expect an email "after the new year" about starting the program. So far, no email.

Don't worry the emails will come. Just enjoy the time you have now! There is a Facebook page made up already for the class, join that and when book/orientation info come out some of the upperclassman will give you insight on what you really do and don't need to purchase.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
93% if memory serves me correct. I think the better programs are all in the 90's. If graduation rate is under 90% I'd be wary of that program.

Yes I think they appear to be a solid program. I went there and took a tour and the facilities are great. I was treated very well and the director is one of the nicest people I've ever met. I left there with a good feeling about the program and it seems as if they really care about their students. Plus, I've met a couple first year students on here and Facebook and they seem to be enjoying the program and doing well. Also, they assign you a faculty mentor and a student mentor to help you navigate your way through the program. Just the fact that they do that tells me they really care and want you to do well. If possible, schedule a tour of the program.

Do you think nova is a good program?

All program have their ups and downs, I think you need to be a little more specific with questions to get a better response. I'm a current first year at Nova, if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Hi everyone, I'm extremely nervous about making a decision on a school and came across this review about nsu dpt program. Do any current students have any input. This review is worrying me big time!

"I have four words to describe this program: RUN the OTHER way! Seriously, I do not know how this program is accredited. You will learn information in one class that contradicts information in the next. The lack of communication throughout the program is absurd. The lack of professionalism and appearance of favoritism is also absurd. The grading is unfair (depending on who your grader is on practical exams, depends on what grade you get. There is no consistency across the board when it comes to grading practicals). Heaven forbid you fail out, you are treated like a piece of worthless garbage (this is second hand information that I fully believe). If you are in danger of failing out, there are no tutors, no recommendations on who can help, and the faculty will tell you to “ just memorize the Power Point slides” DO NOT go to this school. All Nova cares about is money. This program is NOT student oriented in the least. Do not waste your time or money, there are MUCH better programs out there."

Hi everyone, I'm extremely nervous about making a decision on a school and came across this review about nsu dpt program. Do any current students have any input. This review is worrying me big time!

"I have four words to describe this program: RUN the OTHER way! Seriously, I do not know how this program is accredited. You will learn information in one class that contradicts information in the next. The lack of communication throughout the program is absurd. The lack of professionalism and appearance of favoritism is also absurd. The grading is unfair (depending on who your grader is on practical exams, depends on what grade you get. There is no consistency across the board when it comes to grading practicals). Heaven forbid you fail out, you are treated like a piece of worthless garbage (this is second hand information that I fully believe). If you are in danger of failing out, there are no tutors, no recommendations on who can help, and the faculty will tell you to “ just memorize the Power Point slides” DO NOT go to this school. All Nova cares about is money. This program is NOT student oriented in the least. Do not waste your time or money, there are MUCH better programs out there."
I'm starting the DPT program at Nova in May. Here are my thoughts about your post: That was ONE review from someone who obviously failed. If there were several negative reviews I would worry, but EVERY program has someone who fails. I read that same review by the way. However, I did my due diligence and RESEARCHED their program. I scheduled a tour and met with the Director. The Director is one of the kindest people I have ever met. I'm an expert on this after 17 years experience reading people as a Police Officer. You could say I have a well-tuned bull**** meter. I also toured the facility and it was top notch all the way. Everyone was extremely friendly. Over the last three years their pass rate is around 99%, but I'm not sure of the exact number. That is a great pass rate. I've also emailed a couple first year students briefly and creeped their Facebook pages (sorry first year students LOL). They also assign you a faculty advisor AND a Student Mentor from the class ahead of you. This all tells me that they want you to be successful. If they didn't want you to succeed they wouldn't do these things. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has seen a student fail and then turn around and blame everyone but themselves. I'm sure knj27 can and will chime in:). If you look you can find people who will bad mouth every program out there. Just a guess, but I believe EVERY DPT program is going to be challenging. I believe there are inevitably students who get accepted that have no idea what they are getting themselves into. Some students are just not inclined to put forth the effort that is needed to succeed. The fact that you are concerned shows me that you will do just fine in any DPT program you enter. Also, my best friend lives in Pompano Beach and said that everyone he knows thinks Nova is a step above the other South Florida schools (no disrespect to the other schools).

Reactions: 3 users
I saw it on a website where students write reviews about schools and they specify which program they were in.

Members don't see this ad :)
@dptkbrown_1385 , Nova has been accredited since 1996. Their NPTE pass rate for the last 3 years is somewhere around 99%. I remember asking at open house how many students don't graduate, for whatever reason, and the director told me about 4-6 per class (personal or academic reasons). That's NOT bad at all, especially for a class of 50-60.

What I'm getting at is, a program that's been accredited for nearly 20 years isn't going to be bad. If it was, it would NOT be able to produce good PTs, and it would not still be accredited.

Bottom line, there will always be someone who complains. Think about it this way: look up your Alma Mater, favorite professor, and favorite restaurant. I can guarantee you that there will be horrible reviews thrown in. It's a fact of life.

Whatever school you end up at, don't let the negative reviews sway your decision for accepting or declining a spot in the class.

*also, statistically, who is more likely to want to post a review? someone who had no issues with Nova, or someone who did? You're seeing one side of the story.

Last edited:
Just do your own research and even take a trip there and tour the program. That's what I did. If you were going to drop $120,000 on a house you would look it over very carefully. The same applies to a DPT Program:). When you finally make your decision, buckle your chin strap, put your nose to the grind stone and don't let anyone or anything stand in your way on your path to becoming a DPT :). Just typing this revs me up even more!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sure knj27 can and will chime in

I mostly am glad to see someone with a well-tuned bull**** meter...there is way to much bull**** out there in the PT school application process...congrats on being successful at wading through it with your galoshes in tact.

Also @Lots of Praying if you're a police officer why don't you tell me about why the police force operates speed traps. Are they really just a fundraiser? You wanna talk about bull****...there are few things in this world that fall higher on the bull**** meter than speed traps.

Also @Lots of Praying if you're a police officer why don't you tell me about why the police force operates speed traps. Are they really just a fundraiser? You wanna talk about bull****...there are few things in this world that fall higher on the bull**** meter than speed traps.
Those are young police officers who get immense pleasure writing tickets. It's an adrenaline rush for most of them. You would've darn near had to crash into me to get me to write a ticket. I usually averaged writing about one ticket a year. I preferred concentrating on solving crimes and helping people. In my opinion, getting the drug dealer or burglar off the street was more important than that dastardly speeder:)

Reactions: 2 users
Those are young police officers who get immense pleasure writing tickets. It's an adrenaline rush for most of them. You would've darn near had to crash into me to get me to write a ticket. I usually averaged writing about one ticket a year. I preferred concentrating on solving crimes and helping people. In my opinion, getting the drug dealer or burglar off the street was more important than that dastardly speeder:)

You just gained 1000 cool points in my book. :horns:

You just gained 1000 cool points in my book. :horns:

Also in mine! :highfive:

Thanks, I need all the points I can get:)

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone had any information about PT students that are wait-listed. I was wait-listed back in February and was told I would know something by May 1st at the latest. I called on Monday and they told me they still would not be able to tell me anything until May 1st. Does anyone have any insight on their wait list? How often are people pulled from the wait list and accepted into the program?

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone had any information about PT students that are wait-listed. I was wait-listed back in February and was told I would know something by May 1st at the latest. I called on Monday and they told me they still would not be able to tell me anything until May 1st. Does anyone have any insight on their wait list? How often are people pulled from the wait list and accepted into the program?
I have no idea, but a few people decided to go to different schools and haven't been replaced as of yet. I would assume that means that they are looking at people on the wait list now. That's good that they gave you a firm date though! May 1 is only a couple weeks away:). I wish you the best of luck.

You can get off the waitlist at anytime up until the start of classes (end of May). A few of my classmates got in the week before because a student or two decided to not come last minute. They try to have right around 55 starting so if a student drops right before they will try and get another one in to have that ideal number for their incoming class. I don't know if they have their waitlist ranked or how that works though.

Side note - Nova received over 1900 applicants this year, the competition is real. Best of luck!

I have no idea, but a few people decided to go to different schools and haven't been replaced as of yet. I would assume that means that they are looking at people on the wait list now. That's good that they gave you a firm date though! May 1 is only a couple weeks away:). I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks so much! I haven't received any calls for a phone interview, so I'm just getting nervous!

You can get off the waitlist at anytime up until the start of classes (end of May). A few of my classmates got in the week before because a student or two decided to not come last minute. They try to have right around 55 starting so if a student drops right before they will try and get another one in to have that ideal number for their incoming class. I don't know if they have their waitlist ranked or how that works though.

Side note - Nova received over 1900 applicants this year, the competition is real. Best of luck!

Wow! That's a crazy amount of applicants. I would go in a heart-beat if they accepted me -- the only thing that is tough is that we currently live in Birmingham, AL. The later they let us know, the harder it would be for us just to pack up all our stuff and head down to Ft. Lauderdale (especially without investigating any housing options yet).

Thanks so much! I haven't received any calls for a phone interview, so I'm just getting nervous!

They don't really do interviews for the Ft. Lauderdale campus, only if something needs to be clarified on the application or something. Best of luck.

So.. I still have not heard from anyone at Nova, even though the lady I talked to said she would contact me by May 1st. Does anyone know if the class if full or if there are still any spots open?

i'm pretty sure the class is full, but people may or may not be still making up their minds...

So.. I still have not heard from anyone at Nova, even though the lady I talked to said she would contact me by May 1st. Does anyone know if the class if full or if there are still any spots open?
I'm not sure, but if someone told me they would call me by May 1 and didn't, I would call them. It'll at least show you're interested and keep your name in the front of their mind in case someone does withdrawal

Not wonderful actually.
My Overall GPA is 3.45
Science GPA is 3.44
GRE is 147V, 146Q, and 4AW

I have an interview to Midwestern. I'm hoping my essay and letters help me a lot. I've heard a lot of encouraging words that stats aren't everything, which I'm hoping is true.
In my opinion, if you've gotten an interview somewhere then they are done looking at your stats and are more concerned with the kind of person you are. They are already pleased with the way you look on paper. That's why the schools that don't do interviews make me nervous.
If I don't get in this round I will be retaking the GRE, getting more volunteer/observation experience, and probably moving to Florida. :)
Did you get accepted anywhere?

I'm not sure, but if someone told me they would call me by May 1 and didn't, I would call them. It'll at least show you're interested and keep your name in the front of their mind in case someone does withdrawal

What were your stats?

What were your stats? gre? gpa?

My stats:.
Overall GPA: 3.57
Prerequisite GPA (ptcas): 3.28
Self-calculated pre-req GPA: ~3.33

GRE; Q: 148 V: 153 A: 4

~175 observation hours. All outpatient, but varied settings. Ortho, pediatric, & geriatric. I also went out-of-state to observe a PT this summer for a few weeks.

3 LoR: Pediatric PT, PT I observed out-of-state, and professor I did research with.

I'm also a contributing author of an undergraduate research study that gained a lot of media attention here in my home city, as well as a research assistant for my professor and a research assistant for a physical therapist conducting a study on children.

So, though my stats are not necessarily the strongest, I like to think I made up for it in other ways. There is hope, guys! Just keep the positive energy going! :)

Good luck to all of you :)
Did they say anything about your GRE?