Nova Southeastern's DO/DMD degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SmileItsLife

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All!

I just learned about NOVA's DO/DMD degree. It basically takes six years to become both a dentist and a doctor (although you'll still need residency afterwards). It sounds interesting and really different to me, but why would someone want to go through this super rigorous program?

Is there any financial upside to this? Or will you be able to come out as a better dentist?

I just can't see the reason why someone would do this... if you want to be a doctor- go to medical school. If you want to be a dentist, go to dental school... Does anyone know why you would try to get both degrees?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
One might say that it would be a pathway to oral maxillofacial surgery (somehow...) , one could also say it is a way for the school to make a lot of money.

Reactions: 6 users
The thing that comes to mind would be if you wanted to work in an underserved rural area that has a shortage of physicians and dentists. You could effectively function as a primary care doc and a general dentist for such a population. I think that's what this program is for.

I suppose ambiguous people may also pursue this program. I think that's a terrible idea, though. Do some extensive shadowing and make a decision. That is a lot of extra debt and lost time for no reason. It also would make no sense if you were trying to pursue an intense specialty in one profession or the other. You would end up doing one or the other, because there isn't enough time in a day to become skilled at two time-intensive professions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One might say that it would be a pathway to oral maxillofacial surgery (somehow...) , one could also say it is a way for the school to make a lot of money.

Okaaay... I see where you are coming from sort of, but how much schooling is one willing to take to become a surgeon....

The thing that comes to mind would be if you wanted to work in an underserved rural area that has a shortage of physicians and dentists. You could effectively function as a primary care doc and a general dentist for such a population. I think that's what this program is for.

I suppose ambiguous people may also pursue this program. I think that's a terrible idea, though. Do some extensive shadowing and make a decision. That is a lot of extra debt and lost time for no reason. It also would make no sense if you were trying to pursue an intense specialty in one profession or the other. You would end up doing one or the other, because there isn't enough time in a day to become skilled at two time-intensive professions.

Okay, I didn't think about underserved areas. This makes sense to me. Also I agree about what you are saying about just picking one and sticking with it. I don't think I would trust a doctor/dentist...

I think Nova did this program for the money but we assume they did it for this ^

Reactions: 1 users
Jack of all trades master of none.... Maybe it sounds appealing but unless your'e doing the six year OMFS programs you're stretching yourself very thin IMO in order to become both a DO and DMD.

I thought this was for to become a maxo....well, I liked the idea solely because of that.

But other than that its a silly idea.

Nova is very proud to offer a unique program like the one you mentioned. As a former undergraduate student there I cannot help but say they are doing it for the money. It's cool in concept but the tuition :hungover:. You can either be a dentist or a doctor at one time, and I find it hard to justify that time and monetary commitment.

I looked into the program... it doesn't say that you are required to go to residency if you plan on doing general dentistry afterward. If you choose to go into medicine, then you will obviously need to. Other than that... it just seems like a program that is geared toward someone that is interested in learning to be a super general dentist lol...