NSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That seems pretty unfair since it doesn't jive with AOA rules. I'd definitely call them (if you can get through) and ask them if that's really the case. You definitely should have 30 days.

To be devil's advocate here, the "rules" people keep referring to are actually simply guidelines. It's more that the AOA "encourages" the schools to follow the set 30 days-14 days-immediate deposit suggestions.

Hell, Touro-NY gives you two weeks to cough up $2,000. At least NSU is a bit more reasonable.

Members don't see this ad.

My interview for nova was AWFUL. I was convinced I was screwed. However, I got in. Also..my LECOM-B interview was pretty flippin' awful, and my entire experience there matched. Oddly, I got in there too. Actually, thinking back, I'm not freaking sure what happened, as my only GOOD interview was WVSOM, but I got in everywhere I interviewed.

The moral of the story is: YOU JUST CAN'T TELL.

At least, I can't.

Oh good. physio is starting again.

Can you feel it? Can you feel my excitement? :D
(actually, I'm kinda sick...I like physio....)

I can feel the physio from here. woot woot.

It is odd how it works though. When I was sitting back and reflecting on interviews one day, I realized that every one of my rejections came from being interviewed by DOs. Every acceptance or waitlist came from MDs and PHDs. I hope that isn't an indicator of something? :p

Thanks, I will call the admissions office tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey singinfifi - thanks for the breakdown of your week - that was very helpful. i'm trying to decide between nova and pcom philly - deposit is due very soon. i really like nova. on my interview day, students had only one complaint - they said that they are not allowed to look at their tests after they are graded to see what questions they missed, and that they only receive a percentile score for each subject, i.e. 85% correct in physio. can you elaborate on this? is this true for all classes the first 2 yrs? what really concerns me is the fact that the students said they complained profusely regarding this policy, but that the school administration will not budge.

The MPH is online. You have to do well for a semester of med school classes before they let you do it.
Some MPH courses are online, others are not. There is an application that you must fill out after your first semester of school. Classes are free providing you're in the DO program.

on my interview day, students had only one complaint - they said that they are not allowed to look at their tests after they are graded to see what questions they missed, and that they only receive a percentile score for each subject, i.e. 85% correct in physio. can you elaborate on this? is this true for all classes the first 2 yrs? what really concerns me is the fact that the students said they complained profusely regarding this policy, but that the school administration will not budge.

I'm an M1 in my first semester so that's all I have experience with....dunno what happens next year.

We are absolutely able to see our exams. Head on up to the instructor's office and look to your heart's content. You just can't take it home.

I can easily imagine Nova not budging one inch on much of anything. The administration here has not proven itself to be particularly flexible. That said, most med students are complete jackasses so, were I dealing with them year after year, I might be inflexible too.

-Word to the wise:
When you get to medical school remember the old adage about flies and honey. Medical school seems to be jam packed with people who might otherwise be driving parking enforcement trucks. Rigid and socially stunted. Don't be that guy. I watch the approach people have when dealing with administration and instructors and have no surprise when they are told to get bent. Many valid points are drowned out by the douchebag ways of my colleagues.

Some rules to live by:
-Be nice.
-Nobody cares about the high points of your application.
-If you are doing well, don't brag. Not everyone is.
-If you are doing poorly, don't presume it's the fault of the faculty. Others are doing fine despite similar disadvantages.
-Before getting here you are That-guy-who's-going-to-be-a-doctor!!!
Now you are one of many. Your Mom still thinks you are special, but the office secretary you abuse does not. And she will make your life really, really hard. That also goes for nurses, techs, aids, housekeeping, etc. Being a med student or doctor says exactly n.o.t.h.i.n.g. about you. Sadly many seem to walk around with massive egos. It really takes a toll on the rest of the class because the jerks are often the loudest.

I'll finish my rant with a little anecdote:
A friend of mine was working in an ICU. Somebody asked one of the nurses who knew her stuff why she hadn't gone to medical school. An a-hole resident said, "because she knew she wouldn't get in, she's a nurse". She didn't say a word. The next day she walked in and handed him two pieces of paper. Her official score on the MCAT, which was a 38, and her offer of admission to John's Hopkins.

The moral:
Don't get a big head or someone may slap it off ;)

Somebody asked one of the nurses who knew her stuff why she hadn't gone to medical school. An a-hole resident said, "because she knew she wouldn't get in, she's a nurse"

Yeah right.

She didn't say a word. The next day she walked in and handed him two pieces of paper. Her official score on the MCAT, which was a 38, and her offer of admission to John's Hopkins.

Yeah right.

I like that anecdote! Thanks for the info - definitely advice to live by when we're all attending there next year!

Tol, I do agree with your general argument. I think it is a general guideline as a human being that one should be polite to everyone. Sadly, it is something lost in the shuffle of life many times. Every profession seems to rip on the other. I have a friend with a phd in classical chinese medicine that is pursuing her ND. She rips on doctors too. I've sat around and listen to nurses talk down to people. I've heard techs in radiology do it. Everyone seems to. There is actually a story in "How to become a great boss" by Jeffery Fox that talks about listening to everyone around you and valuing their opinions equally. Not only does it make you a better boss but it can also lead to moments of inspiration or clarity that wouldn't normally happen. (It is a super cheesy book by the way, but has some great points)

The short story I'm not sure about. ;)

Oh, and no apostrophe in Johns Hopkins. :p

Yeah right.
Phew....this is precisely what I'm talking about.

Ok, I'll tell you something from my own experience. (though the earlier story is first-hand and reliable) One of the women I worked with, also a nurse, got into Stanford with a 4.0 (dunno her science gpa) and a 37 MCAT. Yup, i saw the paperwork you doubters. She chose not to go after much consideration. She has two kids and her husband's job was not very flexible.
The only thing that makes this uncommon is the numbers. There are a lot of very, very bright and hard working folks out there who choose not to go after applying. Many nursing degrees incorporate the bulk of the med school pre-reqs making an app to med school pretty straightforward. Given the GPA needed to get into many nursing clinical programs, many of those apps will yield an interview.

It appears my point got lost. I'm sorry for the rant earlier. We have spent the last bit dealing with ticked off profs. They are ticked off because of the boorish behavior of my classmates. We have some great people in our class but a lot of folks that still think the world rotates around them. Sadly, the ratio of good/bad is far in excess of what I've dealt with anywhere else.

While true that there are haughty people in every field, medicine pretty well takes the cake in the hospital. I also think that it is something that can change. As a group we tolerate the massive egos of our classmates and, ultimately, coworkers. I think it is high time to start making that behavior uncomfortably unacceptable.

btw, I just heard that during the M1 year we are able to see exams but the M2s are not able to. That must have been what they were talking about. That stinks!

Last edited:
There are a lot of very, very bright and hard working folks out there who have a lot less invested in the medical school idea than we do.

It appears my point got lost.

Oh, I get it. I'm going to study furiously for the MCAT, get into Hopkins (or Stanford), then decide, meh, that was an interesting process, but screw it, let's see what nursing has to offer.

If someone does that, then fine. But at least have the self-respect not to bring your paperwork to the hospital to prove to the world your noble superiority.

BTW, I'm actually nice in person, so bite me.

Medical school seems to be jam packed with people who might otherwise be driving parking enforcement trucks. Rigid and socially stunted. Don't be that guy. I watch the approach people have when dealing with administration and instructors and have no surprise when they are told to get bent. Many valid points are drowned out by the douchebag ways of my colleagues.

Are you generalizing or does this reflect the majority of Nova's M1 population?

Oh, I get it. I'm going to study furiously for the MCAT, get into Hopkins (or Stanford), then decide, meh, that was an interesting process, but screw it, let's see what nursing has to offer.

If someone does that, then fine. But at least have the self-respect not to bring your paperwork to the hospital to prove to the world your noble superiority.

BTW, I'm actually nice in person.

I agree with the bolded.

If I was that nurse I would've relayed the message to my nursing buddies and froze the guy out. Why bring paperwork. Just make his life hell.

Members don't see this ad :)
You know, I think you make a great point Tol. If we aren't smart enough to value all the opinions around us in the medical field, then why are we becoming doctors. Nurses spend way more time with the patients than we do, so we should use them, and others, as a valuable resource to understanding our patients. I have worked with nurses who catch mistakes doctors make and doctors who did more work than the nurses. We are not better because we are doctors....we are fortunate enough to be able to go to medical school.

Seriously, I work with women who are leaving domestic violence situations and who have been raped.....I know this is a different topic but it bears saying.....I never stop being amazed at the courage and strength these women have.....all I think is damn....people will amaze you if you allow them to open up and show you and I am really lucky to get to go and study what I love.

Sorry for the rant but hey, I love knowing that there are med students out there with good perspective....thanks for sharing....

Can we just stick to discussing NSU-COM?? I can sense tension forming and hopefully it just doesn't get out of hand. Some of us haven't gone on our interviews yet (going Dec. 9th) and haven't been accepted yet, and it's more comforting to come to a post where the main feel is positive. Any negativity should be mostly about the school itself, so as to get a full picture of what this school is about. I love the input people have given and I enjoy coming back here. Let's stay civil here, guys!! :thumbup:

I don't mean to sound ill-mannered or snappy either. I truly say this with sincerity.

Side note: I agree, nurses should be treated with respect. They can make your life a living hell. Nursing is a great ptofession and is very noble. I don't know if the "side stories" are true or not, and it doesn't matter. I'm sure many nurses could perform very well on the MCAT and could have gone to medical school but chose not to. Not everyone in the healthcare field wants to be a physician. Now back to NSU-COM!!! :D

Seriously, I work with women who are leaving domestic violence situations and who have been raped.....I know this is a different topic but it bears saying.....I never stop being amazed at the courage and strength these women have.....all I think is damn....people will amaze you if you allow them to open up and show you and I am really lucky to get to go and study what I love.

I know exactly the feeling you mean. I'm a volunteer at a domestic violence shelter and I know what you're talking about. I admire them more than I admire most people I meet.

I have NO reason to think this applies to Nova as a whole. In fact, I've gotten the opposite impression. I think our class is uniquely douchy. The M2s seem very cool!

Epic and ILikeFood,
I see why she did it. What he was saying, overtly, is that she wasn't good/smart/capable enough to fill his shoes. I think she was motivated by self-respect. Freezing him out doesn't teach him anything and is just being a girl about it. One glance at some paperwork, of which she has every reason to be proud, shut him up. (incidentally, he got nailed by his senior resident and his attending over the incident) There are a lot of physicians who truly believe that where you sit in the medical hierarchy is solely function of intelligence and/or aptitude. It just isn't. If you ever doubt that, take a look at the family income level of the average medical student. Poor folks rarely go to med school.

Keep in mind that these nurses may not have had to work hard to get into those schools. They may have just taken the MCAT and applied. The few remaining pre-reqs could be completed if they got accepted. I know at least ten nurses off of the top of my head who got accepted to med school and didn't go. Most apply right out of nursing school. By the time they are faced with a decision, they have worked in the hospital a bit and realize that they don't want the job of a physician, family is more important, they'd rather be a DNP/CNA, etc.

Aterry,
so true. People are truly amazing. Their resilience, strength, and courage are why I'm in medical school. I find it heartening.

Now back to NSU-COM!!! :D

Good call :)

The offer still stands to answer any questions people have (in my wholeheartedly biased manner).

I'm sorry I still haven't gotten a chance (I forgot ;) ) to go to admissions and ask for better contact info. I'll try to remember tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone interviewing!
Don't forget that NSU has a program to set you up with current students to stay during your interview. It's a great way to get some candid opinions, you don't have to worry about how to get to your interview, and it saves a bunch of moolah.

If anyone has time to kill in town, drop a PM and I'll show you around campus.

Good call :)

Don't forget that NSU has a program to set you up with current students to stay during your interview. It's a great way to get some candid opinions, you don't have to worry about how to get to your interview, and it saves a bunch of moolah.
WHAT?!! I asked the admissions office SPECIFICALLY about this and they said it did not exist, so I stayed at the Comfort Suite. Oh well, the Comfort Suite has a sweet free breakfast with waffles, eggs, sausage, and donuts. I doubt any med student would be willing to wake up at 7 AM and cook me an omelet.

-Word to the wise:
When you get to medical school remember the old adage about flies and honey. Medical school seems to be jam packed with people who might otherwise be driving parking enforcement trucks. Rigid and socially stunted. Don't be that guy. I watch the approach people have when dealing with administration and instructors and have no surprise when they are told to get bent. Many valid points are drowned out by the douchebag ways of my colleagues.

Some rules to live by:
-Be nice.
-Nobody cares about the high points of your application.
-If you are doing well, don't brag. Not everyone is.
-If you are doing poorly, don't presume it's the fault of the faculty. Others are doing fine despite similar disadvantages.
-Before getting here you are That-guy-who's-going-to-be-a-doctor!!!
Now you are one of many. Your Mom still thinks you are special, but the office secretary you abuse does not. And she will make your life really, really hard. That also goes for nurses, techs, aids, housekeeping, etc. Being a med student or doctor says exactly n.o.t.h.i.n.g. about you. Sadly many seem to walk around with massive egos. It really takes a toll on the rest of the class because the jerks are often the loudest.

A friend of mine was working in an ICU. Somebody asked one of the nurses who knew her stuff why she hadn't gone to medical school. An a-hole resident said, "because she knew she wouldn't get in, she's a nurse". She didn't say a word. The next day she walked in and handed him two pieces of paper. Her official score on the MCAT, which was a 38, and her offer of admission to John's Hopkins.

The moral:

That is a great story! I completely agree with you. People have their reasons for things, and we can't make judgements on people just by looking at them. A good doctor will be able to understand that people are not always what they seem and this could play into a diagnosis. I am glad I am not the only one who thinks this way!

I'm going to spend a good portion of my designated free day drinking and hitting on women. Sooo many cute girls on campus. Jesus.

WHAT?!! I asked the admissions office SPECIFICALLY about this and they said it did not exist, so I stayed at the Comfort Suite. Oh well, the Comfort Suite has a sweet free breakfast with waffles, eggs, sausage, and donuts. I doubt any med student would be willing to wake up at 7 AM and cook me an omelet.

What? Oh man, I'm sorry! Well, there are definitely people who will host students. I'll put that on my list o' things to talk to Admissions about tomorrow. From me, you'll get no damn omelet ;) But I've got cereal! Your fancy Comfort Suite didn't have that did they?...wait, they probably did..and more variety...and yogurt..bagels, cream cheese....how much was that a night?

ILikeFood:
It's much, much better than you think. In fact, it's downright distracting. When I toured I was truly impressed. When I started here I realized that there are far more beautiful women than I'd realized and had a little smile 24/7 until my girlfriend asked whether there were any cuties on campus. Now that smile is buried deep inside me. FYI, the correct answer is not, "no way baby, they are all ugly...really, really ugly. And they smell like mildew". She didn't buy it, for some reason. I also tried, "it's an all-male campus". Also a non-starter. When I graduate I'm going to write myself a note saying I have narcolepsy. Then I'll slump to the ground when asked things like that. Hey, I'll have a doctor's note!

What? Oh man, I'm sorry! Well, there are definitely people who will host students. I'll put that on my list o' things to talk to Admissions about tomorrow.

I want to go with you. come get me before you go. :)

The moral:

I love it! Since I've been working in the emergency department, I've worked with some brilliant nurses and some surprisingly incompetant doctors. I've seen experienced nurses catch potentially huge errors from careless (or sometimes just new) doctors. Respect your nurses because they may save your butt.

I put down my deposit just now. Yay for my first 950 dollars.

this debate is getting old (EDIT- the one about nurses,doctors, etc)... now that we've touched on the fact that there are lots of good looking girls on campus, can some current female student talk about the guys? i need to find a husband in the next 4 years... hahah

Last edited:
What are you talking about? Where is there a debate? A few obscure references maybe. The fact is, there is normally a direct correlation with hotness. By talking about hot girls you can be assured the guys will follow.

Does anyone know if there are ways for spouses to make friends with other NSU student spouses? I know some schools have that.

this debate is getting old (EDIT- the one about nurses,doctors, etc)... now that we've touched on the fact that there are lots of good looking girls on campus, can some current female student talk about the guys? i need to find a husband in the next 4 years... hahah

:laugh:

Gotta get married before you graduate. Changing your name after graduation is a pain in the butt, apparently. I hear most people spend their M4 year going to weddings (or having their own!).

now that we've touched on the fact that there are lots of good looking girls on campus, can some current female student talk about the guys? i need to find a husband in the next 4 years... hahah

i second that!!

I am getting married in May and I am totally keeping my name. That was a big conversation for me and my fiance as far as if we got married after school. I just don't want the hassle of changing your name. Its pretty simple when you leave your name the same. Plus, his last name is so long and hard to pronounce and mine is easy and simple. LOL. This is so off topic though....sorry!

, can some current female student talk about the guys? i need to find a husband in the next 4 years... hahah

Our class (at least in my society) has more males then females.

I have summed this up with the sentiment that the odds are good, but the goods are odd. I won't date w/in the class. That said, there are a LOT of people that do (two of my best friends here are dating eachother) and it works out very well for them.

As far as "talking about the guys" goes...I've kind of got tunnel vision as far as men are concerned so having a boyfriend pretty much blocks everyone else out in my poor, saturated brain (there's only room in there for so much). Upon asking some of my female peers I have recieved the following answers:

"who has time?"
"there are some cute boys around for sure but a lot of them are married" (this is very true)
"lots of goobers" (i'm not even sure what that means)
"there's boys?"
"they're as type A and neurotic as I am...I can't ever imagine that to be a good idea"
"I'm sure some of them are very nice"

A LOT of guys I know are doing the distance thing as well.

For whatever reason (maybe someone can comment on this) I find a lot more guys in relationships with girls back home in our class then I do girls. One theory for this is that men are threatend by smart women (which, in theory, those of us in medical school are) but I don't know. Interesting thing to speculate on.

Oh good. Lecture. -goes-

I was wondering if anyone knows what happens after you mail in your official acceptance letter and pay the first deposit of $950 online? I've done both alreay but just wanted to see if anyone else has done the same and heard back from nova about the next step in this whole process? The whole admin office is a lil slow so i wanted to keep on top of everything and not miss out on something. I know December 15th is the deadline for the first deposit so im assuming some correspondence from them comes after that i hope. Thanks for the help.

Contacting the admission department:
I stopped by, as promised, and was told that the best way to contact admissions to schedule your interview is via email. They said calling was not the way to go.

Ellen Rondino (Admission Counselor)
[email protected]

My suggestion (not what admission said, just my best guess) would be to send a single email with a read receipt. If you haven't heard anything in a week, follow up. Calling and emailing unnecessarily just clogs the system. Sorry you guys are dealing with this. When I would call during the interview process I got a person. When I would email I'd have a response within 10 min.

Student Ambassadors (or whatever they're called):
I'm so sorry that people got told that there are not students available to stay with. There are! I believe I've got it sorted so everyone in the admissions office knows that the program exists and to whom you'll need to speak.

There is a group for spouses, GFs, BFs. I'm not sure how active it is or isn't. I suspect it's truly a function of how much the SOs get involved. Friends of mine who are attending schools in smaller areas report MUCH more active groups like that. Here people must have more opportunities to socialize.

MissPoh, you are dead right. South Florida is loaded with good looking people, male and female. You'll not be shorted no matter your preference. The good looking women may hang out with the Dolphins. The Dolphin Cheerleaders park in the HPD garage and will be streaming out to their cars after practice. They are never accompanied by men so someone must be distracting the players.

Please don't forget:
I do NOT speak for NSU on anything at all. I'm just a dude trying to help.

I was wondering if anyone knows what happens after you mail in your official acceptance letter and pay the first deposit of $950 online? I've done both alreay but just wanted to see if anyone else has done the same and heard back from nova about the next step in this whole process? The whole admin office is a lil slow so i wanted to keep on top of everything and not miss out on something. I know December 15th is the deadline for the first deposit so im assuming some correspondence from them comes after that i hope. Thanks for the help.

I paid my deposit, and here is what happened: about a week after, my status changed from "provisionally accepted" to "please contact admissions office." I e-mailed ellen and she said it is so they can tell you they received the deposit. Then about another week later my status changed to "deposit recieved." So far, thats been it!!

congrats!!

MissPoh? Ouch.....

I am one of the biggest and hairiest Miss's since the East German swimteam.

Tol, how generous is NSU with scholarships?

And for 3/4th year, do you know if students take NBOME or NBME shelfs?

MissPoh? Ouch.....

I am one of the biggest and hairiest Miss's since the East German swimteam.

ha! sorry about that :)

ILikeFood,
No clue on either.

Of course, I have more questions, here goes:

A preface: I was very unprepared for applying to medical school in the sense that I had no idea there was a game to be played. This really has screwed me over; I had to reapply and have spent thousands of dollars when, had I known better, I could have simply applied to my state schools and gotten accepted to one of them. Alas, hindsight is 20/20.

That being said, I'm already thinking down the line to residencies and it seems to be important to get in a rotation during the M3 year in whatever specialty you're thinking of doing. I was looking at NSU's website for clerkship info, and it appears that there are zero electives during the M3 year. Does that put me at a large disadvantage if I want to apply for, say, EM yet I don't get a chance to even do an EM rotation until my M4 year?

(For other applicants who don't know, here's the M3 list from the handbook: 12 wks IM, 8 wk Surgery, 8 wk Peds, 4 wk Psych, 4 wk OB/GYN, 4 wk Geriactrics, 8 wk Family med)

I keep reading about how you have to get in a grade or two for whatever you're applying for before your M4 year, or at least at the very beginning so that your letters and whatnot will be ready for apps. Every other school I've been seriously considering allows for at least one elective during the M3 year. What do current students think about the lack of early electives, especially those who aren't interested in IM/Ped/Obgyn?

Most schools I've encountered DON'T have much flexibility during third year. The 4th year is where you get your audition rotations in. It helps to have a solid letter writer from your 3rd year for whatever field you're interested in. Some fields are a little more merciful than others I think. Programs know that not every school will have 3rd year rotations in orthopedic surgery or radiology or something.

If I'm wrong then I'm sure someone will correct me. That is just what I've gathered.

Tol, (or for any current medical student at NOVA)
Are there a lot of opportunities to get involved in medical mission studies abroad? Do they cost a significant amount? Lastly, aside from the the numerous amount of clinical exposure that you would receive on these mission trips, is it worth it (in your opinion) in regards to matching into a specialty?

I know that there are medical missions. They talked about them on interview day. I think they have gone to Guatemala, Ecuador and others places. I think they might be adding new ones too. I think they are shorter (like a week) so that it can be fit into the schedule easily. Thats all I know but I would love to know more if someone has more info!!

Of course, I have more questions, here goes:

A preface: I was very unprepared for applying to medical school in the sense that I had no idea there was a game to be played. This really has screwed me over; I had to reapply and have spent thousands of dollars when, had I known better, I could have simply applied to my state schools and gotten accepted to one of them. Alas, hindsight is 20/20.

That being said, I'm already thinking down the line to residencies and it seems to be important to get in a rotation during the M3 year in whatever specialty you're thinking of doing. I was looking at NSU's website for clerkship info, and it appears that there are zero electives during the M3 year. Does that put me at a large disadvantage if I want to apply for, say, EM yet I don't get a chance to even do an EM rotation until my M4 year?

(For other applicants who don't know, here's the M3 list from the handbook: 12 wks IM, 8 wk Surgery, 8 wk Peds, 4 wk Psych, 4 wk OB/GYN, 4 wk Geriactrics, 8 wk Family med)

I keep reading about how you have to get in a grade or two for whatever you're applying for before your M4 year, or at least at the very beginning so that your letters and whatnot will be ready for apps. Every other school I've been seriously considering allows for at least one elective during the M3 year. What do current students think about the lack of early electives, especially those who aren't interested in IM/Ped/Obgyn?
It is possible to schedule your ER during your OMS-III year. It just takes planning and the ability to negotiate with the coordinator.

Did anyone pay their acceptance fee online? If so, where did you find your NSU ID number? thanks!

I am interviewing Dec. 12... anyone else?

Did anyone pay their acceptance fee online? If so, where did you find your NSU ID number? thanks!

It was present in the email correspondences top right corner.

It was present in the email correspondences top right corner.
Unfortunately I didn't get an email... just online status change and a packet. There's a number on both the letters in the packet -- on the bottom, right corner. Could this be it?

Unfortunately I didn't get an email... just online status change and a packet. There's a number on both the letters in the packet -- on the bottom, right corner. Could this be it?

You have to have received at least one email from NSU during your time. It will start with an "N"

I know it is on the documents received email for sure.