NSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Comfort Suites on Davie Road is less than 2 miles from the NSU campus. They also have a free shuttle to/from the airport and the campus which will save you any cab fare.
It's a little cheaper than the Hyatt (even though the Hyatt is nicer).

~$90 a night - ask for the student discount.

lately, I've been taking chances with naming my own price on priceline. It's kind of a gamble, I know, but I haven't been disappointed yet! For the NOVA interview, I put in a bid for $65 a night and got the newly remodeled Holiday Inn and Suites on University Drive in Sunrise (about 5 minutes away from NSU). No shuttle or free breakfast.... but I planned on renting a car anyway and just bought a bite to eat in the morning. Cheap stay and a little adventure with the element of surprise!

Members don't see this ad.

A waste of time? You have to be ****ing kidding me. Get a life and realize that there is more to this world than the US where most of us never have to go without, and realize that you could bring some joy to people who never get to see a doctor except the once a year when we spend our own money to go down and see them while we "waste our time."

This bothers me because the story you mentioned isn't unique to foreign countries. There are people in desperate need of help within the US that get ignored for the exotic nature of traveling abroad. Heck, I encountered a woman at a free clinic where I am with 5 kids, HIV+ from her husband who cheated on her and left, no source of income and no car. She walked 3 miles to get to a river and catch fish for dinner and then grew as much of the food as she could. She had no electricity, no phone, nothing. OH, she was also positive for HepC and about to lose her children. You don't have to pay a ton of cash to help people and healthcare in that situation is only one minor part of the equation.

I know its a little late replying to this, but I just saw the whole thing. I generally look at the last 3 posts or so.

lately, I've been taking chances with naming my own price on priceline. It's kind of a gamble, I know, but I haven't been disappointed yet! For the NOVA interview, I put in a bid for $65 a night and got the newly remodeled Holiday Inn and Suites on University Drive in Sunrise (about 5 minutes away from NSU). No shuttle or free breakfast.... but I planned on renting a car anyway and just bought a bite to eat in the morning. Cheap stay and a little adventure with the element of surprise!
I have used the Priceline name your price thing for a couple of my interviews for both car rental and hotel. I got a couple of outrageous deals out of it. Definitely worth a shot imo.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just reading the interview feedback questions and someone mentioned that they wished they had known ahead of time that biochem was a prerequisite at Nova. Is this true??

Most schools like to say that biochem is "strongly recommended" or some wording like that. It is one of those classes that isn't difficult material wise but being exposed to all of the crap before hand makes life a little easier....supposedly. I am typing this as I am staring at my cumulative final for 2 semesters worth of biochem and wishing I went without.

Another random question...

Does anyone know when the adcom last met?? Or how frequently they do so? My interview is Tuesday and I was wondering if I could figure out roughly when they may be meeting again.

I'm not certain, but I would think that since we interview on 12/9, they would want to have a decision made before Christmas break. So maybe a few weeks?

Another random question...

Does anyone know when the adcom last met?? Or how frequently they do so? My interview is Tuesday and I was wondering if I could figure out roughly when they may be meeting again.

I think they meet every Wednesday. So you may* hear soon! Good luck!

Last edited:
I keep trying to study for biochem and my mind wanders to moving down to south florida. Bah!

Hey piano man, see you then!!! I'm assuming you're a Billy Joel fan??? Long Island power, baby!! Love him... but then again, so does every Long Islander.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yeah, Billy Joel is the man...plus I've been playing for about 13 years now, hence my screen name. See you there!

Nice, nice. I used to play the piano... for a very long time. I was quite good. Now I haven't played in years. Okay, see you in a couple days!

I finished my papers and have an exam at 7:30 a.m. tomorrow and then 3 finals on Thursday...and then I get my own keg that night. woot

Thanks a lot!!!

Do you guys think this is still fairly early in the cycle to be interviewing??? I just want a really good shot at getting in here.
It's early enough (before the onslaught of pre-allo applicants comes a knockin')

Focus on the interview
1. Be yourself
2. Be honest and positive
3. Read up on the school and come prepared with questions
4. Be prepared for the "Why DO?" question. I'd advise you not to use the "whole body, patient as a person" crap. Say you like working with your hands or something of the sort. Or if you applied to both MD and DO, say you just wanted to give yourself the best chance of getting in somewhere.
5. Eat breakfast. You don't want be hungry/your stomach grumbling during the interview. There were a lot of people who skipped breakfast when I was there.
6. Relax. Take a pre-interview dump @ your hotel.
7. Wear something bold but conservative. Everyone wears black.
8. Hopefully your interview goes well. When you write the thank you note, make sure to mention a unique moment during the interview so they remember you.

It's early enough (before the onslaught of pre-allo applicants comes a knockin')

Focus on the interview
1. Be yourself
4. Be prepared for the "Why DO?" question. I'd advise you not to use the "whole body, patient as a person" crap. Say you like working with your hands or something of the sort. Or if you applied to both MD and DO, say you just wanted to give yourself the best chance of getting in somewhere.
5. Eat breakfast. You don't want be hungry/your stomach grumbling during the interview. There were a lot of people who skipped breakfast when I was there.
8. Hopefully your interview goes well. When you write the thank you note, make sure to mention a unique moment during the interview so they remember you.

Yep, I did all this for my two previous interviews so I know the routine ;) but it can never hurt to hear it again... and I'm not gonna lie, #6 made me laugh. :laugh:

Focus on the interview
1. Be yourself
I would add to catch up on the history; I don't know how this catches people off guard, but know who A.T. Still was.

Last edited:
Yeah I've heard that's a common interview question at Nova. I made sure to know the AT Still story ;)

For those of you who are moving here and are considering buying a place and are looking for a real estate agent this is the lady I used:

teri arbogast
Gabriel Real Estate Corporation, Sunrise, Florida
954-242-8030
E-mail: [email protected]

She's really fantastic. She worked with me and jumped through A LOT of hoops with me to make sure I got the house I wanted for an amazing price.

:)

Thanks a lot, I'm heading down there at the end of Jan to check places out and that's exactly what I was looking for!

Focus on the interview
1. Be yourself

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
This is funny cause when I get nervous for some strange reason I always have to poop. :smuggrin: OK I know that was TMDI.:laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
This is funny cause when I get nervous for some strange reason I always have to poop. :smuggrin: OK I know that was TMDI.:laugh:

Girls don't poop.

Watch caffeine/water intake. I tend to get cotton mouth when nervous and just keep drinking water. I also had an extra cut of coffee that morning and it was punishing me during the day.

Ok, still haven't gotten my acceptance packet! What the heck?? I want to let other schools know that I am not taking their offers (thus opening up some spots for some hopefuls!).

Ok, still haven't gotten my acceptance packet! What the heck?? I want to let other schools know that I am not taking their offers (thus opening up some spots for some hopefuls!).
+1

And an additional note about the interview... if you're on the room opposite of where they call names, be careful. I actually missed my interview because I didn't hear them call for me while I was talking to a student (they let me go later, so it worked out).

Yeah I've heard that's a common interview question at Nova. I made sure to know the AT Still story ;)

Definitely know his story. I was asked a specific detail about AT's life... and when I didn't know it, this is what the interviewer said to me:

"Everyone knows I ALWAYS ask about AT Still! Don't you read what's the name of it...doctor-student network online??"

I seriously kid you not.

Oh wow, thats kinda tricky of them. Sorry they were messing with you! If anyone wants to know the history of osteopathic medicine, the DO's by Norman Gevitz (I think thats his last name) is a great book. I am reading it now and I think it is suprisingly easy to read and very informative.

I think I will wikipedia everything in med school...lol. Does anyone know when orientation/class starts? When do people generally move down there?

Most schools like to say that biochem is "strongly recommended" or some wording like that. It is one of those classes that isn't difficult material wise but being exposed to all of the crap before hand makes life a little easier....supposedly. I am typing this as I am staring at my cumulative final for 2 semesters worth of biochem and wishing I went without.
It is a good idea to take biochem in undergrad/grad since some programs go more in depth that they do during your OMS-I year.

Girls don't poop.

Watch caffeine/water intake. I tend to get cotton mouth when nervous and just keep drinking water. I also had an extra cut of coffee that morning and it was punishing me during the day.

Yes we do.:rolleyes:

If it helps, I live IN Florida and I only got the packet late Friday afternoon by certified mail. It'll come! :D

About Biochem: The doctors that interviewed me said that it was good to take it since they know I have some background in it.

I know it's late, but thanks for the earlier info about getting on the website! It helped a lot! :D

Has anybody from the Dec 2nd interview group hear any news yet? The wait is making me antsy...

It is a good idea to take biochem in undergrad/grad since some programs go more in depth that they do during your OMS-I year.

I'm sure I'll be more thankful for my hell when I start classes. We were told by our prof. that he goes into greater detail than most med school biochem classes. I still don't care to memorize every single structure and do 12 pages of memory dump in 55 minutes. All of these structures start to look the same after a while.

Did you check online modernchemistry?

Unless I'm looking in the wrong spot, my application summary on webstar just states "Decision: Invited for an Interview".

I would call them! Or send Ellen and email. Unless something happened and the admissions committee did not meet on Wed. Dec 3rd you probably should have heard something. You need to call and make sure your file is complete and nothing is holding up a decision!

Call until you get through to someone that will answer your questions, in my experience they do NOT return phone calls!

Are you pressed by any other schools for a decision (ie a Dec 14th deadline for deposit?) You should let them know if you are and they will tell you over the phone or email is good because you have a paper trail.

Why does NSU send the acceptance packet certified mail?? No other school has done that and I have gotten my mail from them far faster. The USPS is useless about this also....what the heck??

Why does NSU send the acceptance packet certified mail?? No other school has done that and I have gotten my mail from them far faster. The USPS is useless about this also....what the heck??
Argggh!!!

Gurgle, gurgle, gurgle.

Pain, stress, PARANOIA!!!