NSU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I was you I would call the school and ask or go to NOVA's web site. Right now they seem to be on pins and needles about if they are getting accepted or not. Good luck

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to ask, but since I'm asking about a specific program from this particular school, I posted here.

I'm interested in the DO/DMD program and have a few questions on the requirements.

1. If I apply for this program through the DO school, would I still need to take the DATs?

2. Would shadowing a dentist improve the chances of getting admitted into this program?

thank you in advance ^^

Members don't see this ad.

just checked my status on webstar, it changed, surprisingly, iv been denied :( i applied in december. guess this year must of been real competitive for me not to get an interview. oh well good luck to the rest of you.

ps. just called to receive some feedback on why i may have not been offered an interview, i was told i had a real good mcat score with a 28 but my gpa isnt in the 3.4-3.5 range. I have a 3.38 gpa fml. anyways just to let others know if they didnt get an interview and maybe on the same boat.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to ask, but since I'm asking about a specific program from this particular school, I posted here.

I'm interested in the DO/DMD program and have a few questions on the requirements.

1. If I apply for this program through the DO school, would I still need to take the DATs?

2. Would shadowing a dentist improve the chances of getting admitted into this program?

thank you in advance ^^

Hi, I had a bunch of questions too, and actually still do. Are you pre-dentistry? Question about the MCAT... I read on another post, I have no idea where it's at, that a 27 is the average MCAT score, or if not it's the cut-off to what is expected. Anyone know what this could be about? I have yet to take my MCAT, and was hoping for September, but I am not sure what this 27 number means. Anyone know what they expect over at NSU? This is definitely the school I am planning to go to, so I'm wondering what the chances are in case I get something else, and hopefully above a 27. Thanks for your help.

Poopyhead, what questions do you have? Some of those acronyms I'm completely oblivious to, but are there any other questions you may have about the program or dates? It seems like everyone is still waiting for NSU, which has been a tedious process for me as well, but I heard next week something should be in the mail. Next week is towards the end of the month, so hopefully we will hear something soon.

Lily

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I had a bunch of questions too, and actually still do. Are you pre-dentistry? Question about the MCAT... I read on another post, I have no idea where it's at, that a 27 is the average MCAT score, or if not it's the cut-off to what is expected. Anyone know what this could be about? I have yet to take my MCAT, and was hoping for September, but I am not sure what this 27 number means. Anyone know what they expect over at NSU? This is definitely the school I am planning to go to, so I'm wondering what the chances are in case I get something else, and hopefully above a 27. Thanks for your help.

Poopyhead, what questions do you have? Some of those acronyms I'm completely oblivious to, but are there any other questions you may have about the program or dates? It seems like everyone is still waiting for NSU, which has been a tedious process for me as well, but I heard next week something should be in the mail. Next week is towards the end of the month, so hopefully we will hear something soon.

Lily

Did you say that you are currently waiting to hear from NSU regarding your admission into their undergraduate school? If that is the case, then most of the information here regarding admissions will probably not be very helpful. The medical school admissions department operates separately from other schools at NSU.

We've all been in your shoes of not knowing exactly what scores you need, when to take the MCAT, when to apply, or all the acronyms people talk about, but I honestly think the best thing you can do is to find forums that pertain to those specific topics. You have a lot to get familiar with and there is great information on SDN if you just take the time to read through what people have said over the years. That will probably be much more helpful than staying on a forum that is specific to a single application year at a single school.

just checked my status on webstar, it changed, surprisingly, iv been denied :( i applied in december. guess this year must of been real competitive for me not to get an interview. oh well good luck to the rest of you.

ps. just called to receive some feedback on why i may have not been offered an interview, i was told i had a real good mcat score with a 28 but my gpa isnt in the 3.4-3.5 range. I have a 3.38 gpa fml. anyways just to let others know if they didnt get an interview and maybe on the same boat.

"Denied" as well on webstar. Oh well..good luck to everyone else waiting!

to the people saying "denied" according to their webstar put on alternate status then denied or was that your decision after an interview??

Well I got denied today via regular mail. Pretty shocked to say the least considering that this was my backup school. I am a FL resident, have a 29 MCAT, 3.4 GPA, and solid extra-curriculars. Not even an interview... :confused:
****'s weak...

Are the supposed to send a formal letter of rejection or are we supposed to assume Webstar has the final decision? I haven't received anything. :scared:

Well I got denied today via regular mail. Pretty shocked to say the least considering that this was my backup school. I am a FL resident, have a 29 MCAT, 3.4 GPA, and solid extra-curriculars. Not even an interview... :confused:
****'s weak...

we been walkin the same footsteps with this school, basicly got same stats but a little diff on the mcat and no interview. its wow... i just wonder if gpa is more heavily relied upon than an mcat with this school.

we been walkin the same footsteps with this school, basicly got same stats but a little diff on the mcat and no interview. its wow... i just wonder if gpa is more heavily relied upon than an mcat with this school.

I think it is more the "whole student." My MCAT and GPA were "below normal," but I have a ton of clinical experience. I know it sucks waiting at this point, but there is not much you can do about it now... Think positive thoughts, and hopefully all of you will hear something soon! I wish all of you who are still waiting the best of luck!!!

****'s weak...

Yeah I'm not too sure what they are looking for. I'm in Tampa, 3.87 GPA with prob a 3.7 Science, 27 MCAT, worked for ophthalmologist / optoemtrists for 2yrs, shadowed numerous docs, in the process of getting a pub, volunteered, solid rec letters and still denied

Not even an interview and I was complete around Sept/October. Weird.

Yeah I'm not too sure what they are looking for. I'm in Tampa, 3.87 GPA with prob a 3.7 Science, 27 MCAT, worked for ophthalmologist / optoemtrists for 2yrs, shadowed numerous docs, in the process of getting a pub, volunteered, solid rec letters and still denied

Not even an interview and I was complete around Sept/October. Weird.

Did you have DO LOR? I wonder if that may have played a role??? Just a thought...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I had the shadowing hours, volunteering and DO lor as well. So cant really looked past anything i maybe missing.

Yea I had the shadowing hours, volunteering and DO lor as well. So cant really looked past anything i maybe missing.

Wow you guys are scaring me. I had pretty similar stats and I'm still waiting on a post interview final decision :scared:

Wow you guys are scaring me. I had pretty similar stats and I'm still waiting on a post interview final decision :scared:

Don't let us scare you... I got in with a 26P, 3.0 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA (and tons of clinical experience). I think everyone is just trying to figure out what the adcoms are looking for at NSUCOM. I do not have very impressive stats, whereas kdhmed has good stats, but didn't even get an interview. If you received an interview, obviously the school wanted to meet you for a reason. Don't stress it just yet. There is still a long time until August 2!

I believe shadowing and getting a rec. from a NOVA alumni really helps you get an interview. NOVA alumni are very active with the school and I believe have a great amount of pull with the AdCom.

i hope i don't sound mean in saying this, but you all are probably just wasting your time wondering why they didn't pick you. if you don't get in anywhere, then contact the schools you applied to and ask them specifically. i've heard that many of them are willing to speak with you to find out what was missing/to be desired in your application. wondering on here isn't going to do you any good, it'll only stress you out if you think your gpa/mcat was too low, only to find out that someone with lower stats got in. again, i'm really hoping i don't sound mean by saying this, but you never know what it is exactly what the committees are looking for when they try to build their class. so don't take it personally (unless you suck as a human being, and i'm sure that that's not the case with the caliber of people i've seen on this thread!). good luck :).

I believe it depends on when u were completed. By oct they accepted me and it would have been earlier but they were waiting for a lor. Dont worry some of you will be waitlisted and you will see the list move. Good luck u will love south florida.

Last edited:
i hope i don't sound mean in saying this, but you all are probably just wasting your time wondering why they didn't pick you. if you don't get in anywhere, then contact the schools you applied to and ask them specifically. i've heard that many of them are willing to speak with you to find out what was missing/to be desired in your application. wondering on here isn't going to do you any good, it'll only stress you out if you think your gpa/mcat was too low, only to find out that someone with lower stats got in. again, i'm really hoping i don't sound mean by saying this, but you never know what it is exactly what the committees are looking for when they try to build their class. so don't take it personally (unless you suck as a human being, and i'm sure that that's not the case with the caliber of people i've seen on this thread!). good luck :).

I agree...Call and find out how you could improve your application, they might be looking at something that you never thought about... Good luck everyone!

yea i totally agree about asking the school for feedback on your application as to why you were not offered an interview or did not receive an acceptance. the admissions counselor was very nice to me when i asked about my situation. I did not mean to alarm people, just wanted to inform some of you guys about the application process in my case.

So I spoke with admissions this morning and they said they made decisions and the letters were going out today. I told the girl I called last week and they told me the exact same thing! She said they had received the notice this morning and letters would be sent out via mail today!!! Lets see about that!

I wonder if the Webstar will change by the time we receive the letter. Mine still says "Invited for Interview."

Did anyone who interviewed have either Dr. Thomas or Dr. DeGaetano? For people who have interviewed and heard a decision how did you feel your dialogue during your interview went and did you get accepted/rejected or wait listed???

Did anyone who interviewed have either Dr. Thomas or Dr. DeGaetano? For people who have interviewed and heard a decision how did you feel your dialogue during your interview went and did you get accepted/rejected or wait listed???

I had Dr. Thomas for my interivew, but I interviewed way back in august. But, to answer your question, the dialogue was very friendly and almost fatherly and caring and that would go the same for my other two faculty interviewers too (except it would be motherly, since they were women).

For those of you, who are waiting, just hope for the best at this time and good luck!!!

Dr. Thomas was one of the interviewers. He was the one leading the dialogue in my interview session relative to my other two interviewers. He was the one asking me the "tough" questions, but they were definitely fair and legitimate. I was visibly nervous during several parts of my interview and pretty confident in others. A few of my answers caused dialouge amongst the interviewers on several occassions. I was in there from anywhere to 35-45 minutes from my estimates. I felt that I faired well in the interview. P.S. It was also my first interview for medical school.

Did you say that you are currently waiting to hear from NSU regarding your admission into their undergraduate school? If that is the case, then most of the information here regarding admissions will probably not be very helpful. The medical school admissions department operates separately from other schools at NSU.

We've all been in your shoes of not knowing exactly what scores you need, when to take the MCAT, when to apply, or all the acronyms people talk about, but I honestly think the best thing you can do is to find forums that pertain to those specific topics. You have a lot to get familiar with and there is great information on SDN if you just take the time to read through what people have said over the years. That will probably be much more helpful than staying on a forum that is specific to a single application year at a single school.

Hi,

The reason I am waiting for undergrad is because it is where I want to finish my requirements. I also want to apply to their DO program. I have not found any forums where pre-med students can talk about their ups and downs so I've been reading here to learn more about the school. I have to say I went on Craigslist and opened an ad for anyone studying for the MCAT and taking their reqs. There is nothing like this out there. I have looked.

Hi,

The reason I am waiting for undergrad is because it is where I want to finish my requirements. I also want to apply to their DO program. I have not found any forums where pre-med students can talk about their ups and downs so I've been reading here to learn more about the school. I have to say I went on Craigslist and opened an ad for anyone studying for the MCAT and taking their reqs. There is nothing like this out there. I have looked.

I think what she/he is saying to you is that you can probably get most of the answers you are looking for by searching under different sections of the SDN forum. For the MCAT there is an MCAT specific forum. And for the questions you have most answers can be found in the pre-osteopathic or pre-allopathic forums.

I wonder if the Webstar will change by the time we receive the letter. Mine still says "Invited for Interview."
Mine still says that as well, but I was told by one person in admissions that they would not change our webstar status until after we recieved our letters...then again a couple of days after that I was told to continue checking webstar!? I don't think they have briefed the whole staff on their procedures...Has anyone's webstar status changed who has had an interview?

I guess it depends on who you talk to in admissions and what they feel like telling you. I just spoke to Ms Ferris this morn. She basically told me to keep waiting and desicions have not been made. :confused:

I think what she/he is saying to you is that you can probably get most of the answers you are looking for by searching under different sections of the SDN forum. For the MCAT there is an MCAT specific forum. And for the questions you have most answers can be found in the pre-osteopathic or pre-allopathic forums.

Thanks

I just called NOVA and they said they decided to change when they would actually release their decisions, originally 2nd week of march. The official word (the lady told me) now is that they will finally release everything at the end of this month. so more of the waiting game :sleep:

I just called NOVA and they said they decided to change when they would actually release their decisions, originally 2nd week of march. The official word (the lady told me) now is that they will finally release everything at the end of this month. so more of the waiting game :sleep:
What was the lady's name that you spoke to? End of this month occurs in 8 days...I don't understand how one person can call and is told that letters have been sent out..another person calls and says that nothing will be done until end of the month. Btw..when did you interview? maybe they have sent out letters already for people on 01/21 and 01/28 (if i remember correctly we are bunched together) and people who interviewed in February are the ones that have to wait until the end of the month. At least that would make some type of sense........

I'm definitely in the same boat. After I saw your post I also checked webstar and saw that I've been denied without an interview as well. I submitted my secondary in January. I had a 3.39 so I definitely second that "FML."

I'm definitely in the same boat. After I saw your post I also checked webstar and saw that I've been denied without an interview as well. I submitted my secondary in January. I had a 3.39 so I definitely second that "FML."

I was complete in January, too. My GPA is 3.49, so I "third" that "FML." Lol. I haven't check Webstar until people started talking about it. Yuppers...DENIED!?! I have been waiting patiently...hoping...praying...wishing...nope, got nothing.

What was the lady's name that you spoke to? End of this month occurs in 8 days...I don't understand how one person can call and is told that letters have been sent out..another person calls and says that nothing will be done until end of the month. Btw..when did you interview? maybe they have sent out letters already for people on 01/21 and 01/28 (if i remember correctly we are bunched together) and people who interviewed in February are the ones that have to wait until the end of the month. At least that would make some type of sense........

I interviewed 1/28. That would make sense if there were more seats available. But, I'm assuming that because we are coming to the end of the interview cycle, they are trying to by time to see how many people actually accept their offer from their prior interviews.
I don't know the girls name, mighta been Millie or something. But she did they it was their original intention to send out decisions the 2nd week of march but it changed to the end of march. We can only speculate as to why :confused:
Regardless, can't do much fretting about it and just look forward to the decisions :lame:

My webstar status just changed...to ACCEPTED!!!!:D Good luck to all of you!!!

didn't you interview 02/11? i don't understand? I interviewed on 01/28 and some others on 01/21 and we still haven't heard anything? either way, congrats...

Webstar just changed....ACCEPTED! I interviewed 3/2/2010! YAY!!!

o god...you were interviewed the same day I was...but I received no update whatsoever....it worries me...:scared:

Anyways, Congrats

I interviewed before these two applicants as well.

Should I lose hope?

I interviewed before these two applicants as well.

Should I lose hope?

Well...I don't see why the admission committee would send half today and half tomorrow when they could send out all acceptances in one day....