NSU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a question about the rural medicine rotation. I know I am getting a little ahead of myself, but I was researching about all the rotations and saw that for the rural medicine rotation you have to live in their housing with other classmates, possibly of the opposite sex, and no pets/family members are allowed. This worries me because 1) both my boyfriend and I are in the class of 2014 and would like to try and at least get that rotation together and 2) I have a small dog that I can't just leave behind for several months. I realize that my boyfriend & I will not be on the same rotations/schedule all the time, but will they make any accomidations to send 2 people of the class who are involved/live together to the rural medicine location at the same time to avoid any problems that will cause for us? Also, if you don't want to live in the housing they provide are there any other options? Maybe hotels around or something?

Also was wondering how do they decide which rotations you're going to? Do they just randomly pick where you are going every month, or do the students themselves get any input?

As far as the rotation site it is a lottery system. i'm not sure how the order of the rotations is determined once a site has been picked. The only thing i know about the rural rotations is that the lottery is reversed for picking your rural rotation site. If you picked first for your regular rotation site, then you pick last for you rural rotation site. This is how i understand it from reading what other people have posted. So you and your boyfriend could try to pick the same site if they don't just let you go to the same site automatically.

It kinda stinks but it only lasts 2 months and for ppl like me there is no chance that my wife will be able to come with me. So at least you guys have a chance.

Members don't see this ad.

Make friends with someone else who has animals, and you can watch each others pets while you are at rural rotations... Just a thought!

Received a letter from NOVA today. I was placed as an Alternate. Good luck to everyone else waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
only God knows

:idea:only osteopathic schools do this....most MD schools don't ask for the deposit until the week of classes because they know about the waiting games. My thought is a lot of people apply to DO school as a back up because there is 1/2 the competition (waaayyy less applicants) and DO schools probably capitalize on this.

Just got my letter- Alternate. Interviewed 2/25. Seems like there are a lot of us Alternates on SDN...

Just got my letter- Alternate. Interviewed 2/25. Seems like there are a lot of us Alternates on SDN...

Yeah, it does. And that's just those of us on SDN. There is no way this list is only 30-40 people. It just doesn't seem possible.

My adviser assures me that they go through quite a few people on alternates lists at DO schools, and that Nova as popular as it is wont be any different. It makes sense, especially based on some things people have said even in this thread.

I think a lot of people probably do apply to DO schools as a backup (MCAT not quite as high as expected, or what have you). Then you have people like me that are genuinely interested in Osteopathic medicine, but still would probably take a state allopathic institution (cheaper, and perhaps fewer "roadbumps", like non-DO residencies, people who say "they aren't real doctors", et cetera). Then probably a smaller portion of people didn't even apply to allopathic places, and are gung-ho osteopathic.

The first two groups seem to do a lot of waiting and changing. So it makes sense that an alternate list might see some real movement. It also makes sense as to why they require deposits so early. I think the the profit is just an added bonus. Schools like NOVA get plenty of money as it is, so I think it's more an insurance policy for them as well. It's probably a major headache to get people to commit. Just a thought.

Seems like many of us could be waiting well into May for some changes to take place. Getting good at waiting, but it still sucks.

The worst part is, I can see myself looking back and thinking "Getting into med school was nothing. It was so insignificant in the broad spectrum of all other things considered." And yet, we are all obsessively compelled to check out webstar status frequently, but not nearly as frequently as our email.

Thanks so much for this info...just one question..when u say that the alternate list isn't ranked...how do they make a decision on which students will be selected for the seats as they open? I really do hope they make us an offer to for class of 2015..that would definitely jump on that ; )
The adcom reviews the alternate/waitlist applicants paying close attention to the comments made by your interviewers. Reviews are done at regular meetings (do not know the time period) and students are selected when seats become available. If you have not sent an update letter to NSUCOM, it may be a good idea to do so to show your continued interest.

The worst part is, I can see myself looking back and thinking "Getting into med school was nothing. It was so insignificant in the broad spectrum of all other things considered." And yet, we are all obsessively compelled to check out webstar status frequently, but not nearly as frequently as our email.

You're right. :p

Declined for interview with a 3.7 GPA, 33 MCAT, 1 year medical assistant experience....wtf?!?

Sent secondary (I believe) in late January/early February. Is that what got me?

Most likely, if you apply again this next year your target should be at least sometime in August. Looks like you have good stats, it was just a time thing. I think they start interviews in Sept. so you wanna have your app in before that so you have the best chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Declined for interview with a 3.7 GPA, 33 MCAT, 1 year medical assistant experience....wtf?!?

Interesting. I would call the admissions office and ask if there was any specific reason they didn't offer you an interview. Make sure your LOR's are good, ya know? You have good stats and definitely don't want a weak LOR holding you back.

Best of luck to you.

Sent secondary (I believe) in late January/early February. Is that what got me?
Yes, that is very late to send your secondary in. As you can see by this thread probably most of the acceptances were handed out before then, which means certainly most of the interviews were handed out way before Feb. Whether you are applying DO or MD, you must apply early this is a rolling process at almost every school and there are a ton of applicants for each school to choose from.

kirby.jpg

Is that picture from NSU? That is terrible... I wanna cry!!! I have a friend going there, and that's my number one choice for various reasons. I want one of those white coats so badly!!! Congratulations to all those accepted. I think they have placed everyone on a waitlist because I'm transferring and they have me waitlisted too.

I heard going to their undergrad is good if you are applying first choice to their COM. Anyone know about this? Is anyone already in South Florida? I live here already, so some new friends would be a good thing, especially if the interests are similar.

PS... GIMME ONE OF THOSE COATS!!!:D

I just got a call from NSU confirming whether or not I intended to attend NSUCOM in the fall (They have had my deposits for over a month now). Sounds like they may be trying to get a rough number of how many people may not be planning on accepting their acceptances for the fall. I know how everyone on the Alternate list is waiting for any news, so maybe there may be some movement in the not too distant future!

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up DitchDoc...its mildly encouraging!

Are you able to pick what month you want to go to your rural medicine rotation also? Like if we were able to get the same location would we also be able to choose to go at the same time?

As far as the rotation site it is a lottery system. i'm not sure how the order of the rotations is determined once a site has been picked. The only thing i know about the rural rotations is that the lottery is reversed for picking your rural rotation site. If you picked first for your regular rotation site, then you pick last for you rural rotation site. This is how i understand it from reading what other people have posted. So you and your boyfriend could try to pick the same site if they don't just let you go to the same site automatically.

It kinda stinks but it only lasts 2 months and for ppl like me there is no chance that my wife will be able to come with me. So at least you guys have a chance.

Are you able to pick what month you want to go to your rural medicine rotation also? Like if we were able to get the same location would we also be able to choose to go at the same time?

I'm not sure how the timing works out or if you get to choose when you do your rurals. Anyone else know?

Might have been answered but when is all the transcripts and everything else due? I emailed them but they didnt give me an answer. THANKS! :laugh:

Might have been answered but when is all the transcripts and everything else due? I emailed them but they didnt give me an answer. THANKS! :laugh:

In the acceptance letter, it says "all official transcripts must be received in the Office of Admissions within 90 calendar days from the date of registration."

So, send your transcripts in ASAP as soon as you have your final grades. Hope this helps.

August is late do it in June !!!!

Most likely, if you apply again this next year your target should be at least sometime in August. Looks like you have good stats, it was just a time thing. I think they start interviews in Sept. so you wanna have your app in before that so you have the best chance.

Yea when I interviewed in September, it was all either 27+ or i think 30+ MCAT people

Edit: I got my interview invite mid August so I'd say have everything ready to be submitted to AACOMAS right when it opens...

When I interviewed in Sept the MCAT was about 27 ++. I submitted my secondary in August and scheduled for September. timuing is very important. NOVA was my first interview but most people at that interview this was already at least their second one, DO or MD.

Yea when I interviewed in September, it was all either 27+ or i think 30+ MCAT people

Edit: I got my interview invite mid August so I'd say have everything ready to be submitted to AACOMAS right when it opens...

Hey, i interview with nova a couple of months ago and am currently listed as alternate status. I'm trying to figure out around when i would be here a decision. For anyone who has already been accepted, when is your next deposit or first tuition payment due??

Also, (for anyone who might have an idea) if i get accepted later in the summer how does that affect me applying for financial aid? Should i start filling out FASFA now just in case??

Thanks in advance

still waiting...:xf:

Hey, i interview with nova a couple of months ago and am currently listed as alternate status. I'm trying to figure out around when i would be here a decision. For anyone who has already been accepted, when is your next deposit or first tuition payment due??

Also, (for anyone who might have an idea) if i get accepted later in the summer how does that affect me applying for financial aid? Should i start filling out FASFA now just in case??

Thanks in advance

still waiting...:xf:

I think that you should apply now before 4/15/2010 because there is some sort of deadline. Besides it didn't take you that long to apply, doesn't cost any money, and just you'll be on the safe side if you get accepted in the summer. I also on the alternate list several weeks ago but I applied already. You could put NSU as the school you'll go just so NSU received it. But do the FAFSA now!!! Very important.

I'm thinking about living on campus but don't want to make the deposit for the housing yet. Does anyone know or have experience with the grad housing at NSU? I want to wait till mid May since I got some things to pay for but don't want the housing to fill up. Any suggestions on what to do? THANKS! :D

I'm thinking about living on campus but don't want to make the deposit for the housing yet. Does anyone know or have experience with the grad housing at NSU? I want to wait till mid May since I got some things to pay for but don't want the housing to fill up. Any suggestions on what to do? THANKS! :D
From what I was told from a friend who lived there Rolling Hills is abysmal and pretty much sucks. I think my friend moved out within 6 months.

Hm I've heard the opposite about rolling hills.. But anyway I'm gonna live there cuz it's cheap 640 a month including utilities and Internet.. And I don't know anybody so this seems like the easiest option

From what I was told from a friend who lived there Rolling Hills is abysmal and pretty much sucks. I think my friend moved out within 6 months.

My fiancee and I took a look at rolling hills after my interview (they had a model set up for touring), and it looked pretty nice. I asked two grad students (i dont think either were med students) about the place, and they loved it. Both said it was a great deal, and since med students don't really spend a lot of time at home (well I guess some might) anyway I can't imagine why someone would think of it as abysmal. Of course, because of scholarship money i've lived in dorms all four years of undergad, so anything might seem like a step up for me.

We aren't from anywhere near Ft. Lauderdale, and it seemed to be the best deal and least headache-inducing option, at least for the first portion of our time there.

agree on the grad housing! i am for sure trying to live there. i'm not really trying to pay a cable and electric bill every month at an apartment, and do all the upkeep and crap that comes with renting...i think it'll also be good to have a bunch of people around all the time who are in the same boat.

also, i've lived in some pretty ganrly places and on floors and such, so Rolling hills seems like a palace.

I'll have to dig up exactly what my friend had said but he basically complained of how the doors beep if they are kept open. The windows don't open, being treated like a kid regarding signing people in and all, and the room not being worth the $ for the size. Also if you aren't living with people in your field of study it can get noisy.

Though, to each his own. I mean it doesn't sound terrible but I feel like I can find better options.

I'll have to dig up exactly what my friend had said but he basically complained of how the doors beep if they are kept open. The windows don't open, being treated like a kid regarding signing people in and all, and the room not being worth the $ for the size. Also if you aren't living with people in your field of study it can get noisy.

Though, to each his own. I mean it doesn't sound terrible but I feel like I can find better options.

I know what you mean; the signing people in stuff sounds dumb. Being able to crank the AC on high and not have to worry about the huge electric bill sounds nice though.

Those of you on SDN who are leaning towards rolling hills... fellow D.O. roommates would be nice. So PM me if your looking for a roommate I guess...

word. i payed my deposit a bit ago and did all the housing contract stuff as well...honestly, the housing dept. has been super helpful too, and much easier to get in touch with than admission, haha.

word. i payed my deposit a bit ago and did all the housing contract stuff as well...honestly, the housing dept. has been super helpful too, and much easier to get in touch with than admission, haha.

Are most of you living on campus? I'm still trying to decide which route to go here. Has anyone seen the on-campus living arrangements for grad students...what are they like? Pro's/cons?

So are M1s going to have a test every Monday? Or is there a test every 3 weeks? I've heard both.

I got the rejection letter in the mail a few days ago. Ha, I forgot I even applied here. Didn't even get an interview. Prob bc I haven't shadowed any DOs.... oh well

Have all of the accepted students received their nova email accounts yet? Have any of you gotten your society assignments yet?

Have all of the accepted students received their nova email accounts yet? Have any of you gotten your society assignments yet?

Yeah, I think we got our email addresses a while back. And got our society assignments just recently (I'm in Still),

Yeah, I think we got our email addresses a while back. And got our society assignments just recently (I'm in Still),

I have my e-mail account, but how do I see what society i've been placed into?

Haha, nevermind. I just checked my nova e-mail, and have also been placed in Still Society. Anyone know the purpose of these?

I have my e-mail account, but how do I see what society i've been placed into?

Haha, nevermind. I just checked my nova e-mail, and have also been placed in Still Society. Anyone know the purpose of these?

i think it is to help break the large class into smaller groups so that we are more likely to form study groups and do activities together. also, there are M2-M4's in the group as well, so you have some sort of mentors to go to and seek advice. i am in anderson.

i think it is to help break the large class into smaller groups so that we are more likely to form study groups and do activities together. also, there are M2-M4's in the group as well, so you have some sort of mentors to go to and seek advice. i am in anderson.

Yea, that makes sense. I appreciate the info.

WOOHOO Still! (clearly the best society)

Be sure to check your emails periodically because your peer mentors and administration will be sending you important updates throughout the spring/summer.

WOOHOO Still! (clearly the best society)

Be sure to check your emails periodically because your peer mentors and administration will be sending you important updates throughout the spring/summer.

Sounds good. Thanks link...probably be seeing you in not too long then.