NSU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not sure if this has been posted already, but I was wondering if there were any current students who could provide some information about text books incoming students will need to purchase, as well as other costs we'll face before our loan money kicks in. I'm trying to come up with a reasonable estimate of how much I need to have saved to survive those first few weeks before we receive the loan money. I know I'll need money for rent (plus security deposits, etc), to cover the move down, for a new computer (my current one has seen better days), and to be able to eat (although I may need to go back to the undergrad ramen noodle diet), but I'm not sure how much to estimate regarding books and other school fees we'll need to cover before we receive our loans.

Any insight or advice (or reminders about any obvious costs I've missed) would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if this has been posted already, but I was wondering if there were any current students who could provide some information about text books incoming students will need to purchase, as well as other costs we'll face before our loan money kicks in. I'm trying to come up with a reasonable estimate of how much I need to have saved to survive those first few weeks before we receive the loan money. I know I'll need money for rent (plus security deposits, etc), to cover the move down, for a new computer (my current one has seen better days), and to be able to eat (although I may need to go back to the undergrad ramen noodle diet), but I'm not sure how much to estimate regarding books and other school fees we'll need to cover before we receive our loans.

Any insight or advice (or reminders about any obvious costs I've missed) would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much in advance!

The only book you will ever need to buy in medical school is an anatomy book, Netters will do just fine. Save your money.

Well.....so much for March 15th being the day that NSU releases their acceptances. I have been checking my Webstar all day and nada =*(. This journey has turned into a saga, and now apparently an epic...is there no end in sight?!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well.....so much for March 15th being the day that NSU releases their acceptances. I have been checking my Webstar all day and nada =*(. This journey has turned into a saga, and now apparently an epic...is there no end in sight?!!!

I feel you! I've been silently waiting since my interview on January 21st... I feel almost resigned to the fact that we have not heard anything conrete from NSU admissions. :shrug:

I feel you! I've been silently waiting since my interview on January 21st... I feel almost resigned to the fact that we have not heard anything conrete from NSU admissions. :shrug:

hey we interviewed the same day! it was my first interview and the last for me to hear from (out of 5).

Does anyone else think all medical schools consipire to milk all our deposit money from us before they make all their decisions. What a shady process.

Last edited:
**concrete

How funny! I was wondering how many ppl from our interview day were still hanging around. How did you fare with your other interviews?

Here's my assumption: Admissions probably had to wait till the end of the day to see how many seats were available after all accepted made their second deposits. Therefore, it would make sense that we didn't hear from them yesterday. Now they need to determine who they're filling the empty seats with so unless there is already an established order of who gets accepted first then we may have to wait another day or 2.
Ugh! I just keep wishing everyone that's already been accepted has found an alternative school they'd rather go to. :)

I just called them and was told...all decisions have been made and letters have been mailed out, meaning we should get something by the end of this week.

In regards to status updates being online she said keep checking as sometimes the system takes a while to update.:rolleyes:

I just called and spoke to Ms. Dehart, she said that they are still working on calculating the number of available seats and that the decisions haven't been made. (i thought that they already made decisions prior to this?????) Anyway, seems like there is some conflicting info here from what Sohc sleeper was told. Yogi runner's assumption was spot on = ). If u ask me, they are just waiting until St. Patty's day! That way if you get in you have a reason to go drinking, and if you don't get in, you have a reason to go drinking...lol

I just called and spoke to Ms. Dehart, she said that they are still working on calculating the number of available seats and that the decisions haven't been made. (i thought that they already made decisions prior to this?????) Anyway, seems like there is some conflicting info here from what Sohc sleeper was told. Yogi runner's assumption was spot on = ). If u ask me, they are just waiting until St. Patty's day! That way if you get in you have a reason to go drinking, and if you don't get in, you have a reason to go drinking...lol

Your St. Patty's day comment was pretty funny. My andrenaline began rushing as soon as I read Sohc Sleeper's post and I checked webstar 3 times in 3 minutes, lol. Anyway, I guess I'll take it easy and check again later tonight. Can't wait for this waiting to be over. I've already started my application for their BMS program just in case I get denied. :(

It is definately lowering my stress level a little to read all of your posts and see you are all going through the same crap I am...I was starting to get paranoid that they were for some reason just not wanting to tell me I was rejected via e-mail or phone, but now I am seeing they just have no clue what's going on over there. I have now been told 3 completely different things from 3 different people in the admissions office!!! They must not have staff meetings over there! Also, I have concluded that if they are trying to figure out how many students have accepted its probably going to be another week. My reasoning is that, even though the due date for the 2nd deposit was yesterday, it prob. only needs to be postmarked by then...I hope we find out something soon!:xf:

It is definately lowering my stress level a little to read all of your posts and see you are all going through the same crap I am...I was starting to get paranoid that they were for some reason just not wanting to tell me I was rejected via e-mail or phone, but now I am seeing they just have no clue what's going on over there. I have now been told 3 completely different things from 3 different people in the admissions office!!! They must not have staff meetings over there! Also, I have concluded that if they are trying to figure out how many students have accepted its probably going to be another week. My reasoning is that, even though the due date for the 2nd deposit was yesterday, it prob. only needs to be postmarked by then...I hope we find out something soon!:xf:

Probably...I know I had a problem making my final payment via their online system...It accepted the payment (on the 14th) and then at 4pm on the 15th it told me that there was a problem, and they had cancelled the transaction! Thank god for my blackberry, or I wouldn't have known till after the deadline had passed! I am sure they are just trying to confirm with those who did not get their final deposits in to make sure of their intentions... I'm confident that all of you who are waiting should hear something soon! Best of luck to all of you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure Ms. DeHart would be the one with the best information, as the girl who told me the info this morning sounded like she was just saying anything to get me off the phone.

Plus webstar would update immediately and should not take a while...I mean its 2010, not 1994 with 14.4kbs.... haha.

So I guess we'll all hang tight, already waited this long whats another week! :luck:

So lets all promise that as soon as we find out webstar has updated we'll put up a post. I get updates to this forum on my blackberry so if someone else finds out webstar is updated I can find out immediately. Wow, this sounds so pathetic, lol.

You may want to check webstar again....I just saw someone in another thread talking about how he just found out this evening that he was rejected from Nova...Maybe they posted some decisions tonight!

Last edited:
You may want to check webstar again....I just saw someone in another thread talking about how he just found out this evening that we was rejected from Nova...Maybe they posted some decisions tonight!

Oooh...why do you tease me this way!!!! I just checked and it still says Invited for an interview! Maybe that's a good thing. :scared:

Oooh...why do you tease me this way!!!! I just checked and it still says Invited for an interview! Maybe that's a good thing. :scared:

Not meaning to tease.... Just passin on the info... :) Maybe they only posted the rejections today?!?! See it could be on the better side! lol :laugh:

Not meaning to tease.... Just passin on the info... :) Maybe they only posted the rejections today?!?! See it could be on the better side! lol :laugh:

Oh I hope so!!!!! If I get an acceptance I am throwing a huge party!!!!:laugh:

sorry to burst any bubbles here, but what if that other person was rejected pre-interview? then they'd be in a different boat than those of us who went to an interview already and have been waiting forever for a response.

sorry to burst any bubbles here, but what if that other person was rejected pre-interview? then they'd be in a different boat than those of us who went to an interview already and have been waiting forever for a response.

Dammit! You have a good point. :oops:

I know...I do not know the persons details...I only know that they posted today that they found out today that they were rejected from Nova...

I know...I do not know the persons details...I only know that they posted today that they found out today that they were rejected from Nova...

what forum did you see this on? maybe we can ask him.

what forum did you see this on? maybe we can ask him.

Sorry had to go look for it again... Here is what the person posted (they posted this on 3/16 at around 9:41 pm):

Really appreciate the advice! I was telling myself all of these things but its good hearing it come from two other people! Plus, everything besides PCOM sounds like garbage to me now. Got rejected from NOVA today and I don't even care!

Since interviews are no longer given after March 15...its likely that person who received a rejection letter probably didn't interview and was sent a general reject letter.

Maybe those are the letters admissions people said they had sent out this week.

Ok, so I'm guessing we are not hearing anything this week either:mad: Has anyone gotten a solid timeline out of Nicola? I just keep getting the run around...:luck:

Apparently someone who interviewed 3/08 received their acceptance letter yesterday. They posted the news on the Nova COM c/o 2014 forum.

This makes me uneasy b/c I interviewed over a month ago and am still waiting like many of you.

Sooo sorry, I just realized that post was on the PCOM forum!!! I was checking if kdhmed had interviewed at Nova before getting rejected on the 15th. I didn't realize I was reading another school's class forum!

I guess my nerves are starting to get the best of me.

I know, I definitely had one! But, then I was so relieved when I looked at the tab and saw PCOM!!!

Interviewed 2/11 still waiting as well... torture!:mad:
I'll take your 02/11 and raise you a 01/28! i know there are some 01/21 people on here that still haven't received any info either..all this time i thought the longest wait in this process would be to receive my MCAT scores...i remember in undegrad (while i was at Nova) one of my peers joked that Nova in spanish stood for "doesn't go"...i guess they were referring to the admissions wait..lol..please please...a decision please!

I'll take your 02/11 and raise you a 01/28! i know there are some 01/21 people on here that still haven't received any info either..all this time i thought the longest wait in this process would be to receive my MCAT scores...i remember in undegrad (while i was at Nova) one of my peers joked that Nova in spanish stood for "doesn't go"...i guess they were referring to the admissions wait..lol..please please...a decision please!

that would be me.

the chevy nova (vehicle) didn't sell well in spanish speaking countries for that reason :laugh:. it'd be like selling a car in an english speaking country and calling it the nogo. nobody would want to buy that thing.

that would be me.

the chevy nova (vehicle) didn't sell well in spanish speaking countries for that reason :laugh:. it'd be like selling a car in an english speaking country and calling it the nogo. nobody would want to buy that thing.

OMG! You guys are hilarious!!!!!:laugh:

lol @ the joke... it looks like it. But 1/21 that's crazy!

longest week of my life
Amen!

Has anyone spoken with admissions the past couple of days? I tried calling Ms. Dehart directly today and left her a message, but that was 3 hours ago and I have yet to hear back from her...I just want to know when this waiting game is going to end!!!

I really wish they would just tell the TRUTH about whats going on and stop beating around the bush.... would sure save us of all this anxiety.

If they're waiting to calculate the amount of seats post second deposit, telling us is not going to hurt anyone at least we would know whats going on instead of having to keep calling and checking webstar...driving us insane.

Something must have gone wrong...either too many people accepted their offers or not enough people accepted and so they're having to re-calculate all their numbers. In that sense, I could understand why they wouldn't be telling us anything.

Just saw a post from the guy on the pcom-ga thread who said he was rejected earlier this week, he posted he was rejected w/o an interview...I guess that glimmer of hope is gone too, but at least we know there isn't a group out there getting answers while we are in the dark!

Something must have gone wrong...either too many people accepted their offers or not enough people accepted and so they're having to re-calculate all their numbers. In that sense, I could understand why they wouldn't be telling us anything.
I hope you're right and that not enough have accepted:)!! Also, this better be the case or else they're just screwing us for the sake of it.

Apparently they are sending out letters END of this month!!!! So much for March 15th being D-day! Also, they said keep checking Webstar lol

Apparently they are sending out letters END of this month!!!! So much for March 15th being D-day! Also, they said keep checking Webstar lol
End of the month?!?..wow:( I am sorry, this is so terrible for those of you waiting.
Who did you confirm this with? The previous posters say that Ms. Dehart has not been responding.

Edit: maybe their decisions will come out via Webstar before the end of the month?

When I interviewed on 2/25 Ms. Dehart was very certain that we would hear nothing until the last week of March. But you never know......

I spoke with Ms. Dehart yesterday and she told me she had NO date for when decisions would be made!!! I could not believe this, they have got to have some sort of deadline for making admissions decisions! Hell, classes start in July, she could have even told me that was when I'd hear...it would have been a more satisfying answer than I have no clue!!! This really looks bad for their admissions dept. While they are not the only school keeping people in the dark, the others are at least giving out concrete dates or telling you you're "on hold."

I spoke with Ms. Dehart yesterday and she told me she had NO date for when decisions would be made!!! I could not believe this, they have got to have some sort of deadline for making admissions decisions! Hell, classes start in July, she could have even told me that was when I'd hear...it would have been a more satisfying answer than I have no clue!!! This really looks bad for their admissions dept. While they are not the only school keeping people in the dark, the others are at least giving out concrete dates or telling you you're "on hold."
This isn't normal..something has to be up over there. When i spoke to Ms. Dehart..i specifically asked her whether the admissions committee had already made their decisions and she responded Yes, they were just waiting to calculate the # of available seats. She said that we would prob hear something by mid week (well its fri today and still nothing). I'm no math genius, but i figure the calculation for determining available seats is: Total # of seats - accepted&paid = total seats available. They're prob trying to decide from the acceptances that they have pending, out of those, which ones will actually get a seat...thats my guess...lets hope they don't need invite us for a 2nd inteview...lol

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to ask, but since I'm asking about a specific program from this particular school, I posted here.

I'm interested in the DO/DMD program and have a few questions on the requirements.

1. If I apply for this program through the DO school, would I still need to take the DATs?

2. Would shadowing a dentist improve the chances of getting admitted into this program?

thank you in advance ^^