NSU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ugh! Still no status change and I interviewed 2/2. Now I'm getting more nervous/anxious than ever!!!:scared: I'm almost convincing my self that I'm looking at the wrong page on webstar, lol.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed before these two applicants as well.

Should I lose hope?

Don't lose hope until August comes, or you receive an official rejection letter. Maybe they just haven't put in all of the acceptances today, or maybe you are sitting on the waitlist... Try not to stress it just yet... I know it is easier said than done! Good Luck to everyone still waiting! (If it makes you feel any better, there are only about 125 people in the Facebook group, and about same on the Nova c/o 2014 group. Would lead me to think they still have seats available!)

I found out I got accepted about 2 days after someone in the same interview group found out they got in...don't worry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 2/25 Checked my webstar status and it changed to alternate. Anyone know the chances of me moving off the alternated list?

interviewed 1/21... webstar still hasn't changed... :(

Congrats to those of you who have been accepted, or at least know a decision! :)

I interviewed 1/21 ...my status is still "invited for interview".

No acceptance yet, but at least it doesn't say denied or alternative.

Good luck to everyone...looks like we're all finally going to know our fate!!:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

it looks like they forgot about 1/21st-ers. even though i won't go there, i'm still dying to know...

I interviewed 2/16....still says invited for interview! At least it isn't a rejection! mildly encouraging. Congrats to all those who got accepted:thumbup:

Webstar updated to Alternate Status this morning. :xf: Lets hope I quickly move on to the accepted list.

Alternate Status this morning... :( Congrats to all those who got accepted!

Dont know if this helps but i got my status changed from "invited for interview" to "alternate status"...i'm assuming this means wait list? dang.

Still says "Invited for Interview" as of this morning.

Thanks for the positive vibes ditchdoc and kramerica!

But it's my birthday, so I may not check webstar again in case it's bad news.

Congrats to those accepted and good luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the stats are regarding getting accepted after being placed on the alternate list? In other words, what are the chances?:confused: Also, how long do you think it'll take before we hear either way?:shrug:

Don't lose hope! As soon as you stop stressing about it you'll probably hear something...I interviewed 2/11, but in my case I was offered an interview in December and just couldn't schedule it until Feb. I have no idea if that has anything to do with anything? Good luck to all of you! And to you all waitlisted, I know it sucks, I have been there with a different school the past 2 yrs, but don't lose hope most med school classes are full of people who got in off the waitlist!

If anybody has received an acceptance or denial today please post! Seems like everyone who was waiting was put on "alternate status". Thanks

Don't lose hope! As soon as you stop stressing about it you'll probably hear something...I interviewed 2/11, but in my case I was offered an interview in December and just couldn't schedule it until Feb. I have no idea if that has anything to do with anything? Good luck to all of you! And to you all waitlisted, I know it sucks, I have been there with a different school the past 2 yrs, but don't lose hope most med school classes are full of people who got in off the waitlist!

I don't think the interview thing would be it because I was offered an interview in December as well but couldn't schedule till 2/2. I hope this list moves quickly. :(

alternate status for me too

i guess they ran out of seats for anyone interviewing after jan

They didnt run out of seats, but rather they decided to "cherry" pick who they thought should get those seats.

They didnt run out of seats, but rather they decided to "cherry" pick who they thought should get those seats.
I spoke with my admissions counselor and she told me that alternate status means that they ran out of seats but you aren't denied nor accepted. She said that it is not ranked and therefore i have no clue how they will choose who gets seats as they become available....

alternate today as well. i'm going to email them to withdraw my app. so i'll be one less on the list for you all to compete with. good luck!

Instead of continuing with rolling admissions all applicants from Jan-Mar were batched together as one group and then decisions were made. This is a significant disadvantage to those who interviewed earlier, but great for some who could not have made an earlier date or interviewed later.

There was a March interviewee who got accepted, but many of us from January who got alternative status. Now were in an even bigger pool of alternate status applicants (since the beginning of the app cycle until now) fighting for any remaining seats as they become open.

I was told by my admissions counselor that there NO waitlist..basically all of us still waiting are from the Jan-March interview groups..not since the beginning of the app cycle

Poet---Did you get in elsewhere, or are you going to apply again next year? Just curious after seeing you on here for so long... Either way I wish the best of luck to you!

I don't want to freak anyone out with this, so just take it as info...and not a sign of impending doom! Apparently this year was much more competitive than previous years for applying to med school. I have seen several sources that are claiming they received a 15-30% INCREASE in the number of applications this year! So don't be disheartened, and don't be discouraged if you don't make it this year! I hope all of you make it in somewhere, and hopefully it will be at your preferred schools! I think this large increase in the number of applications is also causing some of the aggrevations with the adcoms. Sounds like they are just overwhelmed with the number of apps this year! So don't freak out if you are still waiting, you just happened to choose the most competitive application year in recent history! Like I said, this is not meant to scare people or upset you... I will keep my fingers crossed for all of you! :xf:

Poet---Did you get in elsewhere, or are you going to apply again next year? Just curious after seeing you on here for so long... Either way I wish the best of luck to you!

i got into wcu and lecom-e but will be attending wcu. not sure why i've been hanging around here so much either lol. i'm kind of relieved i didn't get in to nsu, because my parents are 45 minutes away and they had been all "are you sure you want to go so far away? wait until you hear from nova!" but something about wcu just felt like it was a better fit, even if i am taking a huge chance by going to a brand new school (as i like to say, someone has to be a guinea pig, might as well be me since i have 3 of them and i love my babies lolol). so at least now i can tell them that i was waitlisted and the choice wasn't mine to make (not that my parents are the clingy types that have to see me every day or anything. they love that i'm independent but i know they wish they could see me more than thanksgiving, winter break, spring break, and summer. i don't even come down for 3 day weekends).

i got into wcu and lecom-e but will be attending wcu. not sure why i've been hanging around here so much either lol. i'm kind of relieved i didn't get in to nsu, because my parents are 45 minutes away and they had been all "are you sure you want to go so far away? wait until you hear from nova!" but something about wcu just felt like it was a better fit, even if i am taking a huge chance by going to a brand new school (as i like to say, someone has to be a guinea pig, might as well be me since i have 3 of them and i love my babies lolol). so at least now i can tell them that i was waitlisted and the choice wasn't mine to make (not that my parents are the clingy types that have to see me every day or anything. they love that i'm independent but i know they wish they could see me more than thanksgiving, winter break, spring break, and summer. i don't even come down for 3 day weekends).

Well it sounds like everything worked out for the best for you! Best of luck at wcu!

Well it sounds like everything worked out for the best for you! Best of luck at wcu!

thanks. i also heard about the huge increase in applications this year. mostly from my rejections letters hahaha (i hope that doesn't upset anyone for me to mention rejection letters! i know it's like walking on eggshells in here).

For those of you on the alternate list, there is hope. I was in your situation last year. I interviewed on 1/19/09 and found in late Feb/early March I was on the alternate list. The list is not ranked, meaning they look at the whole pool of alternate students when a seat becomes available. If you can somehow find the archives to last years discussion board for NOVA you can see about how many were taken off the alternate list (I am guessing somewhere between 10-15 but that is just people who posted here).

I did not get off the alternate list but received an e-mail on May 28th stating that I had a seat in the following year's class (Aug 2010) if I wanted it. They offered this to about 30 people who were on the alternate list. It saved us from having to re-apply and saved them from having to deal with our paperwork again. It was the first year that NOVA had done this so I am not sure they will do it again BUT do not loose hope.

I can totally sympathize with your situations because NOVA was the only school where I was on the alternate list, I had been rejected from everywhere else.

Plus, I got this e-mail this morning which leads me to believe they are still trying to figure out which of the accepted students are really going to attend......

March 25, 2010

Dear Class of 2014:

Each year, NSU-COM has the difficult task of denying applicants to our school. As we prepare to inform those remaining applicants that their application has been denied or to counsel those that are on the alternate/waitlist, we ask that you complete a 4 question survey to better assist us in this dubious process.

The survey is completely confidential (the survey is set-up to not identify individual responses) and will not affect your standing in the class. Ultimately your participation in this survey will allow us to better counsel those fellow applicants that aspire to attend medical school.

Please click on the link below to access the survey.

The questions on the survey were:

Have you made a deposit at another school?
Are you on the alternate/waitlist at another school?
Are you waiting to hear from another school?
Is NOVA your top choice?

I really hope this helps you all!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

For those of you on the alternate list, there is hope. I was in your situation last year. I interviewed on 1/19/09 and found in late Feb/early March I was on the alternate list. The list is not ranked, meaning they look at the whole pool of alternate students when a seat becomes available. If you can somehow find the archives to last years discussion board for NOVA you can see about how many were taken off the alternate list (I am guessing somewhere between 10-15 but that is just people who posted here).

I did not get off the alternate list but received an e-mail on May 28th stating that I had a seat in the following year's class (Aug 2010) if I wanted it. They offered this to about 30 people who were on the alternate list. It saved us from having to re-apply and saved them from having to deal with our paperwork again. It was the first year that NOVA had done this so I am not sure they will do it again BUT do not loose hope.

I can totally sympathize with your situations because NOVA was the only school where I was on the alternate list, I had been rejected from everywhere else.

Plus, I got this e-mail this morning which leads me to believe they are still trying to figure out which of the accepted students are really going to attend......

March 25, 2010

Dear Class of 2014:

Each year, NSU-COM has the difficult task of denying applicants to our school. As we prepare to inform those remaining applicants that their application has been denied or to counsel those that are on the alternate/waitlist, we ask that you complete a 4 question survey to better assist us in this dubious process.

The survey is completely confidential (the survey is set-up to not identify individual responses) and will not affect your standing in the class. Ultimately your participation in this survey will allow us to better counsel those fellow applicants that aspire to attend medical school.

Please click on the link below to access the survey.

The questions on the survey were:

Have you made a deposit at another school?
Are you on the alternate/waitlist at another school?
Are you waiting to hear from another school?
Is NOVA your top choice?

I really hope this helps you all!

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks so much for this info...just one question..when u say that the alternate list isn't ranked...how do they make a decision on which students will be selected for the seats as they open? I really do hope they make us an offer to for class of 2015..that would definitely jump on that ; )

Thanks so much for this info...just one question..when u say that the alternate list isn't ranked...how do they make a decision on which students will be selected for the seats as they open? I really do hope they make us an offer to for class of 2015..that would definitely jump on that ; )

They are probably going to use your file in addition to the "questionaire" to unofficially rank everyone once they get all the info from everyone...But I could be wrong...

Last edited:
From what I have been told from various adcoms schools w/ unranked alternate or waitlists periodically review all students who have been put on such status...For you this means you still have a good shot esp. if this is your first choice. Make yourself heard, write a letter of intent.

They evaluate each alternate applicant again when the seat becomes available. At least that is what I was told the numerous times I called to see if the alternate list had moved last year.

Just checked today, I got on the alternate list as well. I interviewed on 2/9/2010. I actually got an invitation on Dec 2nd 2009 but couldn't schedule any interview until Febuary.

Does anyone know that how long is the alternate list this application cycle 2009-2010?

Anyone interviewed on 2/9/2010 got accepted or alternate or reject?

Last edited:
interviewed 1/21... also got alternate status.

Congrats to those who were accepted! :)

alternate status....now we are all REALLY going to wait it out!

Just checked today, I got on the alternate list as well. I interviewed on 2/9/2010. I actually got an invitation on Dec 2nd 2009 but couldn't schedule any interview until Febuary.

Does anyone know that how long is the alternate list this application cycle 2009-2010?

Anyone interviewed on 2/9/2010 got accepted or alternate or reject?

So I'm in the same boat, invited in dec, but couldn't show til mid feb. I was told by a friend who got accepted that once you get accepted you have to register on this page with your classmates. He said now its up to 250 people which I believe is a little more than what they have room for. Theory: everyone who interviewed after jan got alternate :confused: Lesson: no more procrastination. Anyone admitted who got interviewed mid february or later???

her also

So I'm in the same boat, invited in dec, but couldn't show til mid feb. I was told by a friend who got accepted that once you get accepted you have to register on this page with your classmates. He said now its up to 250 people which I believe is a little more than what they have room for. Theory: everyone who interviewed after jan got alternate :confused: Lesson: no more procrastination. Anyone admitted who got interviewed mid february or later???

If your friend is talking about the Sharklink Class of 2014 group then that's actually not true. I just counted and there are only 183 members of that group and there are 225/230 seats(?). Unless there are a lot of people who were accepted who haven't joined the group then there may still be some seats available. Don't give up hope quite yet. As genegirl said... there are many students in med school each year that got in off the alternate list.

What's happening, everybody? Been a SDN leech for awhile, and this is my first post/reply/contribution:

Interviewed @ NSU 12/17...Alternate status

Seems like there isn't a whole lot known about the alternate list. Some ppl saying 30-40 folks max, but just looking around it seems like more. Wrote a letter of intent (was careful to say "top osteopathic choice", as I'm still waiting to hear back from UAB and South Alabama which are cheaper and much closer to home in Montgomery, AL). I'd really like to go to NSU--it seems like a great place.

All of this waiting is agonizing. I'd just love to twist the dagger a few more months waiting for someone to drop their spot.

I have a question about the rural medicine rotation. I know I am getting a little ahead of myself, but I was researching about all the rotations and saw that for the rural medicine rotation you have to live in their housing with other classmates, possibly of the opposite sex, and no pets/family members are allowed. This worries me because 1) both my boyfriend and I are in the class of 2014 and would like to try and at least get that rotation together and 2) I have a small dog that I can't just leave behind for several months. I realize that my boyfriend & I will not be on the same rotations/schedule all the time, but will they make any accomidations to send 2 people of the class who are involved/live together to the rural medicine location at the same time to avoid any problems that will cause for us? Also, if you don't want to live in the housing they provide are there any other options? Maybe hotels around or something?

Also was wondering how do they decide which rotations you're going to? Do they just randomly pick where you are going every month, or do the students themselves get any input?