NSU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So what are the stats for NSU? I would appreciate whoever got in to send me a pm on a brief of their stats if possible. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know that if we need to write an intent letter if we are on the wait list? If we do write it, will it increase our chances of getting an acceptance? Thanks.

I just completed my background check for NSU, and while it is still "in process" I believe they may have found something when I was arrested as a minor. I was never actually convicted, so when they asked the question "have you ever been convicted of a crime" I said no, which is true. And I don't believe NSU's secondary asked "if you had ever been arrested", I believe they just asked if you've ever been convicted, but now I am just worried. And of course, you can't go back and look at your secondary anymore. Does anyone know if the secondary just asked "have you ever been convicted"? And if they can see my arrest, do you think it will matter since I was never actually proven guilty? I was thinking it would be kind of ridiculous to discipline someone for just being arrested, but not being proven guilty. It was just something dumb that happened when I was underaged and shouldn't matter, right?

I was put on the alternate status back in early January. I was reading some of the posts about some people from the alternate list receiving surveys from Nova to complete (basically asking if Nova was still their first choice). I'm really worried because I never received one of those surveys to fill out. Did everyone on the alternate list get one of those surveys to fill out or do they just send them out to a select few?

I just completed my background check for NSU, and while it is still "in process" I believe they may have found something when I was arrested as a minor. I was never actually convicted, so when they asked the question "have you ever been convicted of a crime" I said no, which is true. And I don't believe NSU's secondary asked "if you had ever been arrested", I believe they just asked if you've ever been convicted, but now I am just worried. And of course, you can't go back and look at your secondary anymore. Does anyone know if the secondary just asked "have you ever been convicted"? And if they can see my arrest, do you think it will matter since I was never actually proven guilty? I was thinking it would be kind of ridiculous to discipline someone for just being arrested, but not being proven guilty. It was just something dumb that happened when I was underaged and shouldn't matter, right?

Seems like I remember it asking if there was a "Conviction", but again I can't look at it so that might not be worth much. Any old d-bag can get arrested for some bs, but it takes a real criminal to get convicted (or really unlucky dude). That's what makes me think they wouldn't ask if you've been arrested.

Also, not sure it would matter much to them anyway, unless it was for drugs or violence or something. I don't think they'd terminate your app on the spot; they'd probably ask for clarification, which it sounds like you could easily provide.

I was put on the alternate status back in early January. I was reading some of the posts about some people from the alternate list receiving surveys from Nova to complete (basically asking if Nova was still their first choice). I'm really worried because I never received one of those surveys to fill out. Did everyone on the alternate list get one of those surveys to fill out or do they just send them out to a select few?

I never got one of those either. Kind of worries me, too, but I feel better knowing there's others out there like me. I seem to recall somebody in this years thread that had already gotten one of these surveys, though :(. Ah, wait, maybe that was for already accepted people to see how likely it is that they will stay with NSU. too lazy to search for it.

I never got one of those either. Kind of worries me, too, but I feel better knowing there's others out there like me. I seem to recall somebody in this years thread that had already gotten one of these surveys, though :(. Ah, wait, maybe that was for already accepted people to see how likely it is that they will stay with NSU. too lazy to search for it.

I remember someone from last years class saying they got the survey but I don't remember reading anyone from this years class got it yet. I'm so afraid... If I don't get into NSU I have to move back in with my parents :scared:. I wouldn't last a whole year at home so I'd plan on going to the carribeans during january if that happens

^ I got that survey a few weeks ago through through my NSU email.

I'm pretty sure the survey was just for the Accepted students to see how many were actually going to be going to NSU. Unless the alternates received a different survey than the accepted ppl. We got it through our NSU email which you need to be an accepted student to have.

Did anyone get an e-mail from NSU-COM asking for a letter of Intent to be considered as an alternate? We are required to reply by the 28th. Good luck to you all.

Did anyone get an e-mail from NSU-COM asking for a letter of Intent to be considered as an alternate? We are required to reply by the 28th. Good luck to you all.

Yeah, i got that, speak of the devil, just today. It just seems that they want you to confirm that you even care to be listed as an alternate. Doesn't seem to be a request for a formal letter of intent. At least i didn't understand it that way. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I remember someone from last years class saying they got the survey but I don't remember reading anyone from this years class got it yet. I'm so afraid... If I don't get into NSU I have to move back in with my parents :scared:. I wouldn't last a whole year at home so I'd plan on going to the carribeans during january if that happens

Yeah, I've already applied to SGU for august (though it may be a little too late in the season. The application cycle has been hellish, and I don't want to go through it again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, i got that, speak of the devil, just today. It just seems that they want you to confirm that you even care to be listed as an alternate. Doesn't seem to be a request for a formal letter of intent. At least i didn't understand it that way. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah, I've already applied to SGU for august (though it may be a little too late in the season. The application cycle has been hellish, and I don't want to go through it again.
I also got this email and it just says to email back saying you still want to remain on the alternate list. Question for you, is it still too late to apply for august at SGU, I'm in the same boat as you and don't want to have to go through this cycle again. Please let me know if there are still spots available for august otherwise january.

Question for you, is it still too late to apply for august at SGU, I'm in the same boat as you and don't want to have to go through this cycle again. Please let me know if there are still spots available for august otherwise january.

I think you can apply all the way to June 1 or thereabouts, though I got an email about the limited online application availability past a certain point. This late in the cycle, the chances of acceptance go down a good bit, but i figured it was worth it. I mean, i just applied earlier this week, on Tuesday. I figure I can just as easily go for the January application if this one doesn't work out.

So is there anything we are supposed to do before school starts. I've sent transcript and gonna do background check soon. Anything else?

I also got this email and it just says to email back saying you still want to remain on the alternate list. Question for you, is it still too late to apply for august at SGU, I'm in the same boat as you and don't want to have to go through this cycle again. Please let me know if there are still spots available for august otherwise january.

Hey guys, I also got the email today. Basically :
I would like to take this opportunity to update your application status. At this time, the Class of 2014 is full and your application continues to be considered as an ‘Alternate’ candidate.

Please take a moment to reply to this email by April 28, 2010 and notify me of your intent to be considered as an “Alternate” or whether your intentions have changed. NSUCOM does not rank order “Alternate” candidates and should a position in the class become available, all “Alternates” are considered for acceptance.

If an e-mail response is not received by April 28, 2010, you will be removed as an ‘Alternate’ candidate and your application will be withdrawn.

Your interest in NSU-COM is greatly appreciated and I wish you every success in the pursuit of attending medical school.

DOESNT seem like it asks specifically for a letter of intent but i think ill sent one in addition to this anyways.

ALSO regarding SGU i applied in early March and had an interview last week for August. Also keeping my options open just in case.

:) good luck guys!

Good luck to all of you who are still waiting! I had a friend who was accepted to SGU last year, and she didn't apply to near the end of May! Good luck to all of you in your future endeavors!

And the survey that was sent out was for those who were already accepted, and it was anonymous...

Last edited:
Yeah, I think we got our email addresses a while back. And got our society assignments just recently (I'm in Still),

Woo still!!!! :) you'll love your mentors!!! They rock.

/society promotion

back to studying (hell yeah LAST FINALS EVER)

Want to find out if anyone got admitted to NSU without prior clinical/shadow and volunteer experience ? The admission requirements at NSU do not mention these explicitly so am wondering how important these are for the application. If they are important, how may hours typically are needed? I am a non-trad applicant just starting out the process but am mainly interested in NSU because my wife, who is a physician, is interested in relocating to Ft. Lauderdale area. I work full time and am currently taking science classes at local community college - plan to write MCAT in Feb 2011. I can certainly shadow my wife (would that count?) for sometime but how much time should I plan for volunteer experience?

Thanks in advance for your time

Want to find out if anyone got admitted to NSU without prior clinical/shadow and volunteer experience ? The admission requirements at NSU do not mention these explicitly so am wondering how important these are for the application. If they are important, how may hours typically are needed? I am a non-trad applicant just starting out the process but am mainly interested in NSU because my wife, who is a physician, is interested in relocating to Ft. Lauderdale area. I work full time and am currently taking science classes at local community college - plan to write MCAT in Feb 2011. I can certainly shadow my wife (would that count?) for sometime but how much time should I plan for volunteer experience?

I do not recall if they specifically require you to shadow, or not....But it is always a good idea to shadow a DO if you are intending to apply to a DO school. Shadowing with your wife would NOT be a good idea in my opinion. It's kinda like getting a character reference from your mom! It just doesn't look good. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors, and I'm sure with your wife's connections you will not have any issues finding someone you are not related to to shadow...

I'm pretty sure at NSU you need a Rec letter from a DO, which pretty much means you need to shadow a DO for enough hours where they would be willing to reccommend you. I did around 30 hours over several months.

So is there anything we are supposed to do before school starts. I've sent transcript and gonna do background check soon. Anything else?

Check out the Facebook and Sharklink Class of 2014 groups for more information on this topic. Some things off the top of my head are FAFSA/Financial Aid, WebCT Tutorial, Immunization/Physical, and several other small things...

The website says LOR from DO or MD. I think I should be able to find someone other than my wife to shadow. I guess I can do this next year after MCAT (March/April time-frame). But how about any other volunteer experience? Is it really important for the application? If so, what kind is most beneficial?

BTW, do you think it is insane to just target 1 school?

The website says LOR from DO or MD. I think I should be able to find someone other than my wife to shadow. I guess I can do this next year after MCAT (March/April time-frame). But how about any other volunteer experience? Is it really important for the application? If so, what kind is most beneficial?

BTW, do you think it is insane to just target 1 school?

maybe, maybe not. how are your stats looking?

maybe, maybe not. how are your stats looking?
Don't have much stats to go with yet. Have Bachelors in Computer Sc with pretty much A's in Physics & Chem. Have Masters in Computer Sc. with gpa 4.0. Have MBA with GPA 3.94. Just completed 4 credits of Bio and got an A. Plan to take 4 more credits of Bio and then 8 credits of Organic chem. MCAT is the big unknown but am hoping I can get a decent score

I'm pretty sure at NSU you need a Rec letter from a DO, which pretty much means you need to shadow a DO for enough hours where they would be willing to reccommend you. I did around 30 hours over several months.
False, MD or DO. I had a MD letter and no DO shadowing.

I shadowed an MD and got in. And he was my COUSIN! Not sure if they knew this or not but his last name was the same as mine. He wrote my LOR too.
They never asked about any of that.Shadowing your wife might not he a BAD idea but I don't think an LOR would suffice. But then again they might not ask!

I shadowed an MD and got in. And he was my COUSIN! Not sure if they knew this or not but his last name was the same as mine. He wrote my LOR too.
They never asked about any of that.Shadowing your wife might not he a BAD idea but I don't think an LOR would suffice. But then again they might not ask!

In addition to shadowing and corresponding LOR, did you have any other volunteer experience? What kind of EC do they typically look for and how important are they to the overall application? Between job, classes and MCAT prep I am just worried that I won't have any time for EC

Thanks

I feel your pain. I worked 20 hours a week but many of the ECs were in school with friends. So, it worked out for my application and socially for me as well. I researched in lab, volunteered at the hospital, was very involved in the Christian organization on campus, as well as tutored and taught Lion Dancing.

I took my MCAT right after my sophomore year so I didn't have to worry so much about studying during my upper division courses. You have to make some sacrifices obviously but try to do ECs that truly interest you and not only for medical school. A lot of people feel like I did a lot in school especially with the difficulty of my university and major but many of the things I used as ECs I would have even if I didn't apply to medical school.

I would suggest doing some ECs that don't fit the normal to stand out a little bit. Also, I believe your PS can have a great impact of getting interviews or not. Try writing something unique!

Volunteer experience is good, but by no means a necessity to get in to medical school. There are people that only have the basic requirements for med school admission that get in every year. I would emphasize on the requirements at this point (pre-reqs with good grades, decent MCAT scores, and getting the required LORs). I know that Nova will allow you to get a LOR from an MD, but I would still highly recommend getting one from a DO that you shadow. If you have time for the other "stuff," then go for it (ECs, Vounteer Experience, Research, etc). Just don't let the little things detract from the required items!

As far as targeting only one school, for most people that would be considered crazy. But you are in a unique position, so it is understandable to limit your scope of applications. If your family would like to be in Ft Lauderdale, then you still have several options for medical school (Univ of Miami, FIU, FAU, NSU). Best of Luck!

A lot of people feel like I did a lot in school especially with the difficulty of my university and major

Firstly: Go compliment yourself somewhere else... Everyone's pre-med experiece is difficult, not just yours. The faster you get over yourself the easier med school will be.

Secondly: To answer the original question: The first thing an admissions board is going to look at is your GPA and MCAT score. This can land in 3 places. 1) They're both AWFUL in which case you get disposed of. 2) They're both AMAZING in which case they interview you hands down. Chances are, if you're like most of us, you'll land in pile 3) You have average numbers (or one good one decent), and then they inspect you a little further. How were your letters of rec and how were your essays? Finally they'll then see "What else did you do?"

This being said: The most important thing you can do for yourself is do well in your classes. You need to show them you can handle the course load of medical school. They care about this the most: The #1 way of doing this is GPA and MCAT. If you feel like you've got a firm grasp of your classes, then see what you can do to get involved beyond that. It can be anything from Research to Hospital volunteering, to Hospice Care, to getting EMT certified and doing EMT work occasionally, to Clubs/Activities like AMSA or sports. But try to do something that you feel really demonstrates who YOU are... it can be a nice talking point in interviews. (For example--I take interest in the underserved populations so I worked at the county health department in both the crisis councelling department and the HIV testing center.) but this is ONLY important if you have a good hold on classes. You don't want to end up in pile 1.

Good luck! Medicine is a marathon--I hope you have some Gatorade.

if you are commenting on how mean the get over yourself comment was, seriously... get over yourself!

also, noting that you attended UCLA, in the UC system which you obviously must be very bright to be accepted into, but also a place where the chemistry department handed out 66% As and Bs (http://www.newuniversity.org/2009/1...-your-a’s-and-b’s-the-weight-of-grades-at-uc/)
I personally know many incredibly smart individuals in the UC system but nonetheless it is worth nothing the system does not have a standardized bell curve (10%A, 15%B, 50%C, 15%D, 10%F- either for every test or every class grade) like some schools do.

I do not mean to further incite or insult, I simply think it is time to grow a thicker skin.

I was just kidding. But, touche. I was seriously just trying to help the guy out and used that as an example not to strut my stuff online. Didn't meant to come off like that.

But for those who are reading that article please keep in mind that UCLA has 2 different chemistry series for life science majors (which their is a straight scale: 14 series) and one for physical science majors (which their is a traditional curve in which, to my knowledge, must be enforced: 20 and 30 series).

Last edited:
I was just kidding. But, touche. I was seriously just trying to help the guy out and used that as an example not to strut my stuff online. Didn't meant to come off like that.

But for those who are reading that article please keep in mind that UCLA has 2 different chemistry series for life science majors (which their is a straight scale: 14 series) and one for physical science majors (which their is a traditional curve in which, to my knowledge, must be enforced: 20 and 30 series).

Not saying your school is bad or anything but the gen. chem. class there (i took it during the summer session many years ago) nearly killed me.
I kid, I kid. But i did gain nearly 10 pounds from all those yummy ice cream sandwiches i ate at Diddy Reese to alleviate my stress :oops:

I am also in Still! I applied for grad housing and put the requests in.

How long are we supposed to wait until we know our room assignments? I keep getting different information.
>.<

Is there a deposit return deadline for DO schools like allopathic ones? I know it's May 15th for MD, and I imagine it can't be far off from this date, I just can't seem to find a date. Anybody know when folks have to choose their DO school or lose their deposit?

Is there a deposit return deadline for DO schools like allopathic ones? I know it's May 15th for MD, and I imagine it can't be far off from this date, I just can't seem to find a date. Anybody know when folks have to choose their DO school or lose their deposit?

Pretty sure deposits are nonrefundable. You don't get them back.

Pretty sure deposits are nonrefundable. You don't get them back.

Oh, yeah, that's right. Guess there isn't a specific date to commit by then. *Sigh, the waiting could be extended in the DO department.

just curious if anyone received an email with the subject "Important Message from NSU Office of the University Registrar"...i'm still listed as an alternate, but the email contains info about WebSTAR and NSU e-mail account.

Nope, the last email I got was on April 23 "NSU Update" asking me if I still wanted to be considered as an alternate (I replied yes). When did you get this email?

just curious if anyone received an email with the subject "Important Message from NSU Office of the University Registrar"...i'm still listed as an alternate, but the email contains info about WebSTAR and NSU e-mail account.

Negative, here. Wonder if thats a good sign for you?

I also recieved this email today and I also an on alternate status. On the bottom of the email it says this does not mean any type of acceptance so maybe it was a mistake?

I also recieved this email today and I also an on alternate status. On the bottom of the email it says this does not mean any type of acceptance so maybe it was a mistake?
\

It's gotta mean something, or else we all would have gotten it. Even if that something is that they are disorganized and didn't get the message out to everyone at the same time.

\

It's gotta mean something, or else we all would have gotten it. Even if that something is that they are disorganized and didn't get the message out to everyone at the same time.

Let's hope it does mean something besides a mistake!!:xf:

i received the email at about 2:30 this morning..it says it's an automated message, so i'm not sure how hopeful i should be! confusing..

No I haven't receive anything. May be it's the automated thing or maybe it's a good sign for you. Did you call admission office and ask? I am also on the alternate.