NSU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, congrats to all of you!! Must be very excited. Did you guys do anything to increase your chances? Did they ever let you know that you are in any kind of ranking or accepted pending an open seat? Thanks for all your responses. When did you guys interview & when did you guys know your alternate status? Congrats again!!!:thumbup:

Never thought I would see this day from NSU

Pulled off the Waitlist - ACCEPTED!!!!

Accepted off the wait list. I'm totally stunned. I was just getting ready to rewrite my personal statement. :love:

Edit: Notified via email

big congrats!! i also got in off the waitlist today..i'm in freak out mode! i'm from out-of-state..have you guys thought about housing?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to everyone that just got off the wait list! I just got off the wait list at my state school, and as much as I loved Nova, I think I might withdraw. I visited a few places in the spring and ended up signing a lease at Sunforest for a 1BR on the second floor. If I head to state school I'll have to break my lease... hopefully one of you will pick it up and save me the heartbreak for having to pay rent for a place I won't step foot in:xf:

Anyway, congratulations and best of luck!!!

big congrats!! i also got in off the waitlist today..i'm in freak out mode! i'm from out-of-state..have you guys thought about housing?

Congrats on the acceptance, but about the moving I feel your pain! Although I am not out of state, I live over 4 hours away from campus but was thankfully able to make a trip there recently. It is difficult to figure out which places are great on paper/internet vs. great in person. I found a huge discrepancy between what I THOUGHT I would like, and what I actually found to be a little scary and way overpriced.

I obviously haven't moved in yet so can't speak from living experiences, but I found a great place in Plantation about 15 minutes from campus. If you are interested in particular places, I have literally probably visited them all, so feel free to private message me! Congrats again!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm getting to that freak out point to, need to secure some type of housing. I'm from chicago so this is a while away and going to be difficult to get all of this stuff set up. Any chance someone knows where I can find the academic calender or first days or orientations?

Edit:
To the person who asked about what I did, absolutely nothing. Called once in march and that's about it. This was totally unexpected!

Last edited:
hey axel86 so much for that high hold list lol. looks like we ended up in the same place, i think we're better off anyways.

hey axel86 so much for that high hold list lol. looks like we ended up in the same place, i think we're better off anyways.

Haha thats so crazy!!! I called "that school" 3 days after actual classes began because I still had not been denied or accepted, and the woman said "ohhh you were next on the list". So much for letting me know, lol. But I agree. I found a great place in S. Florida and I am starting to get really excited! I am very happy, cant wait to actually meet you :D

CONGRATULATIONS those who got accepted off the waitlist!!!! :banana:

Question: Did your status change on webstar or did you just receive an email?

I'm on the waitlist as well and I'm really hoping to get in this year.

To anyone looking for housing I know an awesome place...my friend, another M2 is looking for someone to fill the other bedroom of her place. Not sure on the specifics for rent, but the building is awesome (I live in the same place) and its 10-15minutes from campus and is just off las olas. PM me if you want to know details. She doesnt have a preference male or female.

IamAriDO

thanks, i really appreciate all the tips! i submitted my app. 10/26, was invited for interview on 1/19, interviewed 2/9, and got the alternate status email on 4/23. my portal didn't change when i got the acceptance email on 6/28, but i just checked this morning and saw "Provisionally Accepted." i sent thank you cards to my interviewers on 2/17 and then emailed and mailed a letter of interest to Ms. Rondino, Ms. Frohlinger, and Dean Silvagni on 5/4.

i was never notified of my ranking, but i did receive a couple of strange messages. on 5/6 i got an email with the subject: "IMPORTANT MESSAGE: WebSTAR and Your NSU E-Mail Account" even though my status hadn't changed. then on 6/26 i got an email stating "We are pleased to acknowledge today's receipt of the following document(s) for admission to Nova Southeastern University: Essay." i had no idea what they were referring to..my only guess is the LOI? really bizarre...

i was actually counting on going to vcom next year after i received guaranteed admission for the class of 2015. i didn't expect to hear from nsu at all, and i feel so unprepared! i'll just take it one step at a time..can't wait to meet you guys!!

We finally have movement!!!!

Congrats to those who got off the waitlist!

I didn't get accepted, but to those who are still waiting. I did get an email from Dr. Whitehead:

"As we prepare to review alternates/waitlist, we would like to know if you are still interested in being considered for the Class of 2014. Please respond to this email with your intent to remain on the alternate/waitlist."

So no rejection yet!!! There's still hope.

I bet all that time waiting makes victory that much sweeter...I might cry if I get off the list this year. :soexcited:

hey Sohc sleeper,

I got the exact email today from Dr. Whitehead. I just respond back that I still have much interest in the school. Hope to hear great news soon. I love Florida and want to stay in FL.

We finally have movement!!!!

Congrats to those who got off the waitlist!

I didn't get accepted, but to those who are still waiting. I did get an email from Dr. Whitehead:

"As we prepare to review alternates/waitlist, we would like to know if you are still interested in being considered for the Class of 2014. Please respond to this email with your intent to remain on the alternate/waitlist."

So no rejection yet!!! There's still hope.

I bet all that time waiting makes victory that much sweeter...I might cry if I get off the list this year. :soexcited:

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any idea about how many people are waitlisted?

Congrats to all of you who have gotten off of the waitlist! There are several of us who have done the circuit of all of the apartment complexes around NSU. Most places in Plantation are pretty good as a general rule. I can't wait to meet all of you! Badapplestix - good luck to you at your other school!

Congrats to all of you who have gotten off of the waitlist! There are several of us who have done the circuit of all of the apartment complexes around NSU. Most places in Plantation are pretty good as a general rule. I can't wait to meet all of you! Badapplestix - good luck to you at your other school!

I'm living in rural Michigan at the moment and I'm a little concerned about housing. If you could elaborate on your impressions, I would really appreciate it.

Congrats on all the acceptances :) For the ones on the wait lists, don't give up, there's still hope!:xf:

If you're looking for a place to live, PM me. I'm renting out a room in my 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house that's about 5 miles from school. :thumbup:

To all of you who were recently accepted off the waitlist, are you from out of state? When did you interview? They said the alternate list is not ranked, but I don't see how they would go about re-evaluating all the applications again from scratch for the handful of seats that open.

I'm living in rural Michigan at the moment and I'm a little concerned about housing. If you could elaborate on your impressions, I would really appreciate it.
Here comes a looooong post...

NSU does offer graduate "on-campus" housing, but it did not meet my personal needs so I discarded this option personally. Some people love it, but I did not like that you could not move in till just before school starts, and I thought it was a little pricey for what you get. Plus I have a family, so it wasn't an option for me, but it might be for you.

Apartments - I personally only looked at 2/2 apartments, so I can not give a great impression of some places that only offer 1/1s near campus (like cameron cove). You can find cheaper apartments in Davie, but I personally felt most of the complexes were a little sketchy. Personally I liked the apartment complexes that were located in the city of Plantation. The area seems to be much nicer, and you seemed to get more bang for your buck. The criteria I used for selecting my apartment was location (had to be within 10-15 max drive from campus), overall feel of community (is it sketch or not), amenities, and overall value for the price. My favorite complexes based on those criteria were: Laurels at Jacaranda, Gatehouse on the Green, Harbor Town at Jacaranda, and Grove East in Plantation. Common amenities at almost every complex include pool(s), gym, business center, tennis court(s), basketball court(s), and usually family stuff like kid's playgrounds.

Laurels at Jacaranda (this is where I chose to live)- Nice complex, located about 5-10 minutes from campus. This property is located off of Cleary near Pine Island, it is located directly next to Central Park in Plantation (one of the bigger parks in South Florida, with almost any sport field known to man). Amenities were very nice, and staff was friendly. Apartments were recently upgraded, but the price was still reasonable (especially for NSU students, we get a 3% rent discount and significantly reduced fees, and if you register on rent.com BEFORE going there you will get a $100 rebate card card sent to you if you rent there, just tell the complex you saw their complex on rent.com). One of the best things about this location is that I will not have to drive on University to get to school (traffic on University can be TERRIBLE).

Gatehouse on the Green - Another nice property that is located off of Broward near Pine Island. It is also close to Central Park, but not right next to it. Price was reasonable, but the "move in" fees were higher. They are also currently / recently upgrading their units. Once again, nice amenities, but it is located on a busier road (Broward). My main concern about this complex was the move in fees and the availability when I was looking. This property was my second choice.

Harbor Town at Jacaranda - An older property that was recently bought by a new management company. The new management company has put a ton of money into this complex, but they are still in the process of updating it. The units are all newly/recently upgraded. Downsides were that it is located off of University (big bummer if you HAVE to drive this road every day.) Also they are about to start building its gym and remodeling the clubhouse / pool. Nice price for what you get, and will probably be even better very soon. This was my third choice.

Grove East in Plantation - New complex. Very nice amenities, including personal trainers, sauna, etc. Price is a little high when compared with the rest. I was also concerned with the surrounding community, and you either have to take 595 or Broward/University to get to school. This was my fourth choice.

Now if money is not an option, our absolute favorite was Midtown 24, but it was not worth the extra 500-600 a month.

An average 2/2 runs about 1200-1300/month, but I do not know what 1/1s are running. I have heard they are 900-1100, but I don't know this for sure. If you have any specific questions about a complex, please feel free to ask. My wife and I looked at approximately 40 different complexes before we made our decision. I wish you the best of luck!

PS Beware of the "move-in" fees. Many complexes will nickel and dime you there. It is not uncommon for some complexes to want $100 for background check, $300 for admin fees, etc. It adds up quickly!

^^^^ Thank you so much for that. I'm a little worried about finding a place that won't mind my pet rabbit. I guess I'll have to make a trip before the big move.

To all of you who were recently accepted off the waitlist, are you from out of state? When did you interview? They said the alternate list is not ranked, but I don't see how they would go about re-evaluating all the applications again from scratch for the handful of seats that open.

Out of state, interviewed early December. I just assumed they rank the alternate list but will not disclose that information to applicants.

^^^^ Thank you so much for that. I'm a little worried about finding a place that won't mind my pet rabbit. I guess I'll have to make a trip before the big move.
Most of the complexes in the area are "pet friendly," but most I believe limited that to cats and dogs. I would definitely recommend a trip to have a look for yourself before you move. :thumbup:

Here comes a looooong post...

NSU does offer graduate "on-campus" housing, but it did not meet my personal needs so I discarded this option personally. Some people love it, but I did not like that you could not move in till just before school starts, and I thought it was a little pricey for what you get. Plus I have a family, so it wasn't an option for me, but it might be for you.

Apartments - I personally only looked at 2/2 apartments, so I can not give a great impression of some places that only offer 1/1s near campus (like cameron cove). You can find cheaper apartments in Davie, but I personally felt most of the complexes were a little sketchy. Personally I liked the apartment complexes that were located in the city of Plantation. The area seems to be much nicer, and you seemed to get more bang for your buck. The criteria I used for selecting my apartment was location (had to be within 10-15 max drive from campus), overall feel of community (is it sketch or not), amenities, and overall value for the price. My favorite complexes based on those criteria were: Laurels at Jacaranda, Gatehouse on the Green, Harbor Town at Jacaranda, and Grove East in Plantation. Common amenities at almost every complex include pool(s), gym, business center, tennis court(s), basketball court(s), and usually family stuff like kid's playgrounds.

Laurels at Jacaranda (this is where I chose to live)- Nice complex, located about 5-10 minutes from campus. This property is located off of Cleary near Pine Island, it is located directly next to Central Park in Plantation (one of the bigger parks in South Florida, with almost any sport field known to man). Amenities were very nice, and staff was friendly. Apartments were recently upgraded, but the price was still reasonable (especially for NSU students, we get a 3% rent discount and significantly reduced fees, and if you register on rent.com BEFORE going there you will get a $100 rebate card card sent to you if you rent there, just tell the complex you saw their complex on rent.com). One of the best things about this location is that I will not have to drive on University to get to school (traffic on University can be TERRIBLE).

Gatehouse on the Green - Another nice property that is located off of Broward near Pine Island. It is also close to Central Park, but not right next to it. Price was reasonable, but the "move in" fees were higher. They are also currently / recently upgrading their units. Once again, nice amenities, but it is located on a busier road (Broward). My main concern about this complex was the move in fees and the availability when I was looking. This property was my second choice.

Harbor Town at Jacaranda - An older property that was recently bought by a new management company. The new management company has put a ton of money into this complex, but they are still in the process of updating it. The units are all newly/recently upgraded. Downsides were that it is located off of University (big bummer if you HAVE to drive this road every day.) Also they are about to start building its gym and remodeling the clubhouse / pool. Nice price for what you get, and will probably be even better very soon. This was my third choice.

Grove East in Plantation - New complex. Very nice amenities, including personal trainers, sauna, etc. Price is a little high when compared with the rest. I was also concerned with the surrounding community, and you either have to take 595 or Broward/University to get to school. This was my fourth choice.

Now if money is not an option, our absolute favorite was Midtown 24, but it was not worth the extra 500-600 a month.

An average 2/2 runs about 1200-1300/month, but I do not know what 1/1s are running. I have heard they are 900-1100, but I don't know this for sure. If you have any specific questions about a complex, please feel free to ask. My wife and I looked at approximately 40 different complexes before we made our decision. I wish you the best of luck!

PS Beware of the "move-in" fees. Many complexes will nickel and dime you there. It is not uncommon for some complexes to want $100 for background check, $300 for admin fees, etc. It adds up quickly!

I pretty much agree with this...I chose gatehouse over laurels mostly due to better move-in dates. laurels was a little cheaper (thanks to the 3% NSU discount). they were both at the top of my list though. overall, i liked plantation much better than davie, but if you want to live within walking distance...check out sunforest/palm trace landings/cameron cove.

i think someone mentioned from the class of 2013 that lakepointe at jacaranda was pet friendly as well...so you may want to check that out too

Silly Harlot-
I went apartment hunting not too long ago and found St. Tropez to be one of the nicest apt complexes in Plantation (about 15 min away from campus). It seemed to me, to be in a much safer area and was very securely gated. The apartments were nice, and the entire complex just gave me a happier feel. So although that was not listed earlier, I found that to be by far the best fit for me. Although, as they mentioned... a majority of the places in Plantation are nice. That's just another idea :thumbup: good luck!

Silly Harlot-
I went apartment hunting not too long ago and found St. Tropez to be one of the nicest apt complexes in Plantation (about 15 min away from campus). It seemed to me, to be in a much safer area and was very securely gated. The apartments were nice, and the entire complex just gave me a happier feel. So although that was not listed earlier, I found that to be by far the best fit for me. Although, as they mentioned... a majority of the places in Plantation are nice. That's just another idea :thumbup: good luck!

St Tropez is nice...It didn't make my list because they didn't have any units available when I was looking... :D

Thanks for the advice you guys. I'll be going down next week to look around and hopefully sign somewhere.

Can anyone comment on the University Parc condos? Another student and I are looking at a place here, but we only have pictures to rely on. With the distance/time crunch, we probably won't have the chance to visit before orientation starts. Thanks in advance for any help!

I was accepted today!!!!! Good luck to everyone still waiting!!!!

I received a phone call....totally unexpected, but fantastic!

I also received a phone call, yesterday at 2:05 central. However, I had to deny my acceptance, as I was just accepted in state. I know one of you lucky people will get it! Good luck, and congrats to everyone who already got accepted.

EDIT: Now I see that CODR probably was the one that got it. You're welcome dude. J/k.

Last edited:
actually, my call was at 3:01 pm Eastern time...they must have been going down the list ;)

actually, my call was at 3:01 pm Eastern time...they must have been going down the list ;)

I just checked my call log and it was actually at 1:30 p.m. central. I misread the time because I made a call at 2:05 to tell my fiancee about it, and mixed the two up.

Judging on how fast they called you, they must have an ordered ranking (unofficial). Either that, or you were an easy choice.

I emailed a letter of intent to Ellen Rondino

Just want to say Congrats to all the new admits....welcome to (along with Lebron) to South Florida.

Also wanted to repeat that one of my classmates is seriously looking for a roommate for a 2/2 near downtown. Its actually a quick drive to class and its amazing. PM me if interested and again congrats!!

IamAriDO

For people still looking for a place to live, I was reading past posts and need to add my $.02. Try to live South of 595. Regarding the post saying with apts by Jacaranda you don't have to take University, etc: I'm assuming they are planning on taking Pine Island Rd to school. Well Pine Island isn't much better. The big issue on any of those roads is the traffic right at 595, so by living closer to school than 595 you bypass all the traffic. If you already found housing North of 595, don't worry, I did it my first year too, in the Colonnades, but it'll take you 30 minutes to get to school even though you're less than 5 miles away.

For people still looking for a place to live, I was reading past posts and need to add my $.02. Try to live South of 595. Regarding the post saying with apts by Jacaranda you don't have to take University, etc: I'm assuming they are planning on taking Pine Island Rd to school. Well Pine Island isn't much better. The big issue on any of those roads is the traffic right at 595, so by living closer to school than 595 you bypass all the traffic. If you already found housing North of 595, don't worry, I did it my first year too, in the Colonnades, but it'll take you 30 minutes to get to school even though you're less than 5 miles away.

What complexes south of 595 do you recommend? Most of the ones I looked at I found to be sketchy or overpriced...

For those who just got accepted this last week:
Have you received any emails with information on orientation and first day of classes? I haven't received anything and I was wondering if maybe we'll get it to our NSU email (not even sure if that will be activated for us yet). I tried to access the email but I need the sharklink ID and I can't get it.

For those who have been accepted prior to us when exactly does orientation start and is the first day of classes 8/5?

For those who just got accepted this last week:
Have you received any emails with information on orientation and first day of classes? I haven't received anything and I was wondering if maybe we'll get it to our NSU email (not even sure if that will be activated for us yet). I tried to access the email but I need the sharklink ID and I can't get it.

For those who have been accepted prior to us when exactly does orientation start and is the first day of classes 8/5?

Orientation starts on August 2nd at 8:00am. Some of the classes start that week, and some start the week after. White Coat will be the morning of August 8th.

Orientation starts on August 2nd at 8:00am. Some of the classes start that week, and some start the week after. White Coat will be the morning of August 8th.

Thank You! Ms. Rondino also informed me that I can join the DO group in sharklink to get all the info I need but I can't even get my sharklink ID. After I input my information to retrieve the ID it takes me to a page that says "Sorry cannot proceed." I emailed help desk to try to get this sorted out.

Is anyone else having (or had) this same sharklink issue?

Thank You! Ms. Rondino also informed me that I can join the DO group in sharklink to get all the info I need but I can't even get my sharklink ID. After I input my information to retrieve the ID it takes me to a page that says "Sorry cannot proceed." I emailed help desk to try to get this sorted out.

Is anyone else having (or had) this same sharklink issue?

I get the same error when I try to sign in using the mozzilla browser. So, I tried using google chrome and it works.

I get the same error when I try to sign in using the mozzilla browser. So, I tried using google chrome and it works.

Tried with Safari and Google Chrome as well and they don't work either :(. Guess I'll have to wait for IT to get back to me.

hey there..i had the same issue, but i think it was because my deposit was still being processed. after a couple days i was finally able to retrieve my user name. best of luck with getting everything together..i feel so behind in the game!

hey there..i had the same issue, but i think it was because my deposit was still being processed. after a couple days i was finally able to retrieve my user name. best of luck with getting everything together..i feel so behind in the game!

i know exactly how you feel! I just got accepted last thursday so all i've done is pay my deposit (on Friday), request my transcripts and buy my lab coat. I still need to turn in my residency forms, do all the immunization stuff and register for my classes. Ugh! At least this is no where near as frustrating as waiting to get in. :)