NSU-COM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
the dean was probably my best impression about nova on interview day. In addition to being a dean, the guy is a private pilot, has basically traveled extensively/lived all over the place, and has a moustache that probably no other person could pull off. I remember some other epic stuff about his background but I can't remember it all now.

Actually, I know one other person so far that has been able to pull off that sort of stache. Oddly enough, they are really good friends. Dr. Stager went to medical school at Nova and now the dean and him are great friends, both with very different backgrounds, and the type of stache you mentioned.

http://www.foma.org/officers.htm : Pic at bottom

Members don't see this ad.

I meant that if they are holding off on sending out acceptances until after the 15th, as they are waiting to see how many seats are filled and what is left, then I'm contributing to your stress and I'm sorry. :p Doing my deposit by CC tomorrow afternoon.

the dean was probably my best impression about nova on interview day

I especially liked the dean. His enthusiasm and commitment to the school and its students made Nova stand out for me.

Good luck to everyone still waiting.

Hey everyone, I interview on Tuesday.

They sent the Parking Pass in the email but I didn't see anything about where to park. I pulled up the campus map online and noticed a Visitor Parking lot directly in front of the Terry administration building as well as an HPD parking garage directly to the east. Which one did you guys use?

Last time I visited Nova's HPD area I parked in the lot by the garage and paid the meter -- something I'm obviously not going to be doing now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I interview on Tuesday.

They sent the Parking Pass in the email but I didn't see anything about where to park. I pulled up the campus map online and noticed a Visitor Parking lot directly in front of the Terry administration building as well as an HPD parking garage directly to the east. Which one did you guys use?

Last time I visited Nova's HPD area I parked in the lot by the garage and paid the meter -- something I'm obviously not going to be doing now.

I parked in the HPD parking garage and used the parking pass

Has anyone received a phone call and an email from NSU asking you to send them your transcripts? I'm in the alternate list and don't know what this means. What address are we supposed to send them to?

Has anyone received a phone call and an email from NSU asking you to send them your transcripts? I'm in the alternate list and don't know what this means. What address are we supposed to send them to?

I received the email and am also on the alternate list. I was really confused. Why would I send them my transcripts if I'm not matriculating??

Makes sense to me... If they are considering people from the wait list it makes sense to get their most updated grades to see if they have still been performing well. Help to narrow down the list if someone has made bad grades this last semester.

I got this email and phonecall as well and am also on the alternate list. I think I know why the are requesting this from us. I asked the woman on the phone why they might want my official transcripts and she told me that they want to have everything organized and complete when they start pulling people off the waitlist.

It makes sense. Think about it-schools start pulling people off the waitlist quite late in the season, and very close to when classes begin. They don't want to run into some last minute problem with a student's transcripts. By asking us for it now, when they do start pulling people off the waitlist, everything will be all squared away.

Makes sense to me... If they are considering people from the wait list it makes sense to get their most updated grades to see if they have still been performing well. Help to narrow down the list if someone has made bad grades this last semester.

Yeah maybe. Also, what TheOne1979 said above makes sense.

Grrr...I thought this meant we were accepted.

heyy!!!! i may be the only super freak who is dying to know haha but can any current students post the match results???! i know its happening like now

Still no word for us feb interviews??? Anybody know when we are supposed to hear?? they said in my interview 4-5 weeks

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got "Provisionally Accepted" on Webstar!!!! Woo hooo! Well now I have to make a tough choice between here and AZCOM (anyone have to make this decision earlier want to share some insight with me?) Yay! Interviewed 2/3 btw.

Just got "Provisionally Accepted" on Webstar!!!! Woo hooo! Well now I have to make a tough choice between here and AZCOM (anyone have to make this decision earlier want to share some insight with me?) Yay!

I made a choice between these two you mentioned and I chose Nova. Cheaper tuition, great facility and reputation.... I mean, AZCOM is a good school but I just didn't click with the school when I was there.

Congrats!! Hope you a: choose AZCOM so I can go here, or b: we both get in and become classmates... :laugh:

Had a feeling we would be hearing back soon, based on the update info requested from previously waitlisted candidates.

Accepted!!! yessss...interviewed 1/27. i know another person from my interview day that was accepted as well.

mine still says invited for interview does that = alternate list or does it change to alternate list?

Just got "Provisionally Accepted" on Webstar!!!! Woo hooo! Well now I have to make a tough choice between here and AZCOM (anyone have to make this decision earlier want to share some insight with me?) Yay! Interviewed 2/3 btw.

I had the same decision and I chose Nova with almost exactly the same reasons as Lukat. Especially the fact that I just didn't click when I went on the interview there.

I made a choice between these two you mentioned and I chose Nova. Cheaper tuition, great facility and reputation.... I mean, AZCOM is a good school but I just didn't click with the school when I was there.

I had the same decision and I chose Nova with almost exactly the same reasons as Lukat. Especially the fact that I just didn't click when I went on the interview there.

What made you guys feel like you didn't "click" with the school when you got there? For me, being a FL resident which means cheaper tuition, seemingly stronger quality rotations, and having shadowed a DO who went to Nova and seeing how great she is which I think is definitely a reflection of the school, I'm definitely leaning toward the school.

I guess the one reservation I have is people on these boards and elsewhere saying how some of the classes in Year 1 and 2 aren't greatly taught and that the curriculum doesn't really help you study for Step 1; I think that's the one thing holding me back from knowing for sure I want to go to Nova since AZCOM's board scores seem really impressive.

Anyways, for anyone else waiting for a decision. I just got an e-mail a few minutes ago with acceptance letter attached and other documents.

Just got accepted and def going. I interviewed Feb 1st, so for all of you that were concerned that people were just getting waitlisted, that isn't 100% the case. Good luck all!!

What made you guys feel like you didn't "click" with the school when you got there? For me, being a FL resident which means cheaper tuition, seemingly stronger quality rotations, and having shadowed a DO who went to Nova and seeing how great she is which I think is definitely a reflection of the school, I'm definitely leaning toward the school.

I guess the one reservation I have is people on these boards and elsewhere saying how some of the classes in Year 1 and 2 aren't greatly taught and that the curriculum doesn't really help you study for Step 1; I think that's the one thing holding me back from knowing for sure I want to go to Nova since AZCOM's board scores seem really impressive.

Anyways, for anyone else waiting for a decision. I just got an e-mail a few minutes ago with acceptance letter attached and other documents.

I'll PM you

Just got my acceptance email today. Interviewed on March 4th for the Interview experience program. They said don't expect anything before 3-4 weeks. Got my response in 13 days. Super psyched about being a Shark!

anyone from 2/10 heard anything or are we still waiting...almost 6 weeks wow!

Last edited:
interviewed on 2/15 and still nothing on webstar, latest that's posted on here was from 2/3 except for the interview experience one in march

and just called, lady said they still haven't made a decision, so i guess they've just gone through the interviews up to the 3rd of feb and the interview experience participants

Last edited:
looks like it might be a minute... I interviewed on the 15th as well. There were 25 of us. If there were fewer interviewees on the 10th, :xf: that we'll hear something next time the adcom meets.

So it's official my seat as been withdrawn, I hope this helps well one of you get off a waitlist, best of luck guys.

So i've heard good/bad things about Nova, but what I really want to know is if the majority of the M2s felt that the quantity and quality of the information Nova's professors covered left them prepared for the boards? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I guess I've heard more negative comments about the curriculum and it is sorta freaking me out.

The negatives I have heard have been about inconsequential things, like having to take medical Spanish. But yea, I have not started classes yet so my opinion doesn't mean too much :laugh:

So i've heard good/bad things about Nova, but what I really want to know is if the majority of the M2s felt that the quantity and quality of the information Nova's professors covered left them prepared for the boards? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I guess I've heard more negative comments about the curriculum and it is sorta freaking me out.

I VERY much echo these sentiments....it's the only real reservation I have about Nova.

The negatives I have heard have been about inconsequential things, like having to take medical Spanish. But yea, I have not started classes yet so my opinion doesn't mean too much :laugh:

I'm not sure I agree with this. A good number of negative comments have been directed at the curriculum and especially certain departments (biochem for example). I wouldn't call these things inconsequential. Overall though, Nova has a great reputation.

Just wondering, how would a mid-MS1 US MD-->DO transfer be received at NSU? Good standing, good grades, very competitive stats, not looking at a real "transfer" but to reapply and start new due to familial circumstances and wanting to be closer to home. :rolleyes:

Please don't hate ;) - I've thought this through and I was actually accepted to NSU a few years ago but decided to go elsewhere at the time for stupid reasons. :(

withdrawing my acceptance here for something closer to home. good luck everyone!

hope one of you on the waitlist gets it. nova is an awesome school and you guys will all do great there. :)

Just wondering, how would a mid-MS1 US MD-->DO transfer be received at NSU? Good standing, good grades, very competitive stats, not looking at a real "transfer" but to reapply and start new due to familial circumstances and wanting to be closer to home. :rolleyes:

Please don't hate ;) - I've thought this through and I was actually accepted to NSU a few years ago but decided to go elsewhere at the time for stupid reasons. :(

You can actually work out a transfer, I am pretty sure. Talk to admissions office, they will have you retake OPP. Don't burn any bridges though, tread carefully.

Anyone from 2/10 interview heard an ETA on when we should hear...I have emailed and called with no replies. I have a deposit due at another school very soon. They said 4-5 weeks and we are quickly approaching 6 weeks. Its super annoying when no returns your calls/emails grrrrrr!!

current NSU Students/Ft. Lauderdale Residents, I'm interested in renting a single family home within 15 minutes of campus. All that seems to be available online is resort style apartments? I've tried CL, Apartments.com ect... with no real luck. Maybe there just aren't any single family neighborhoods in that area? Any light you can shed would be helpful. Thanks!

current NSU Students/Ft. Lauderdale Residents, I'm interested in renting a single family home within 15 minutes of campus. All that seems to be available online is resort style apartments? I've tried CL, Apartments.com ect... with no real luck. Maybe there just aren't any single family neighborhoods in that area? Any light you can shed would be helpful. Thanks!
Contact a realtor down there that carters to renters. There are a lot of them.

I am getting a 3/2 house/townhome down there. You are looking at $1500+ for this option.

still no word from any post feb 3rd interviews?? seems a bit long, no?

So I understand that the COM isn't going to finalize classes until the summer, but so far they've been awful about responding to emails and phone messages.

The semester calendar for their college of arts and sciences doesn't correspond at all to any of the other professional schools....but you'd think it wouldn't be so hard to let us know when our breaks are and when classes start?

try checking out realtor.com for single family home/condo rentals

So I understand that the COM isn't going to finalize classes until the summer, but so far they've been awful about responding to emails and phone messages.

The semester calendar for their college of arts and sciences doesn't correspond at all to any of the other professional schools....but you'd think it wouldn't be so hard to let us know when our breaks are and when classes start?

Judging by the last 2 years you should start the first Monday in August. Fall semester, you'll have labor day off and Thanksgiving + the day after. Finals should end around the 2nd week of December. We started back immediately after New Years (1/2). Spring Break is a week and is the same as the rest of NSU (This year was the week of St Patricks day). You finish the end of may get a month off and go back first week of July. If you look at previous years, it's pretty standard. If you can get onto sharklink yet, they have a NSU-COM 2010-2011 academic calendar with the dates.

Does the tuition go up every year or is it fixed for 4 years?

still no word from any post feb 3rd interviews?? seems a bit long, no?

I called the admissions office again on tuesday... they said it's in the dean's hands and is a very person so they have no idea when decisions will be made for post 2/3 groups... the guy I talked to just kept repeating the dean is busy and you cant rush the dean... waiting 6+ weeks and rude/ incredibly unhelpful staff... application officially withdrawn 3/22 weak sauce Nova weak!

I called the admissions office again on tuesday... they said it's in the dean's hands and is a very person so they have no idea when decisions will be made for post 2/3 groups... the guy I talked to just kept repeating the dean is busy and you cant rush the dean... waiting 6+ weeks and rude/ incredibly unhelpful staff... application officially withdrawn 3/22 weak sauce Nova weak!

What's wrong with waiting 6 weeks? There are schools out there that make you wait 8-10 weeks for a decision. If it's in the Dean's hands it's not like any of the staff can do anything about it.