This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

YuniCresta

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How many research experiences does the average medical student has when applying for residency? For example, I currently am writing an article with an ortho surgeon, which we are hoping to publish by october this year and will be presented as a poster as well in september. I am also working on academical/bench research with a profesor in my university and that will be presented as a poster in late May, after that if we receive good feedback we will try to publish it too (with me as the main author). In the summer I will be doing a surgical clinical research internship which will include my name as co-author of a paper next year.

So basicaly I will have:
-internship
-paper publication (maybe 3, but at least two are certain)
-2 poster presentations

Will that look good enough? Also, I am currently going to graduate in 5 years (May being the end of my second year) because I had to repeat a first year class. Will this amount of research (and, hopefully, a good Step 1 score) balance out the extra time I spent at medical school?