This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k.dot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have recently committed to NYU's 7-year BA/DDS program. I received excellent financial aid and my parents are covering the rest of the cost so I should be coming out of undergrad debt-free. I just wanted to know if there are any other people on this site that are currently in this program. How's your experience so far?

Also some other questions:
- How hard is it to maintain a 3.5 at NYU?
- Does NYUCD give financial aid?
- How many people fail to advance to NYUCD from the BA/DDS program?
- How many people get accepted to the BA/DDS program every year?
- How hard is it to specialize in endodontics or periodontics coming out of NYUCD?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say any 3/4 year "guaranteed" dual program is very competitive. Don't downplay your success. I would be more concerned about if your acceptance to NYUCD is binding, or if you can apply out of NYU if it is possible to get your BS rather than BA. I only say this because you might not want to attend NYU and go somewhere cheaper. If you do want to go to NYU, consider yourself very privileged, it is a great school

I would say any 3/4 year "guaranteed" dual program is very competitive. Don't downplay your success. I would be more concerned about if your acceptance to NYUCD is binding, or if you can apply out of NYU if it is possible to get your BS rather than BA. I only say this because you might not want to attend NYU and go somewhere cheaper. If you do want to go to NYU, consider yourself very privileged, it is a great school
I talked to the program director and he said if you maintain a 3.5, get a 20 on the dat, and have a satisfactory interview you get accepted. I think if you decide to apply out, then the acceptance is no longer guaranteed. Also, I want to go to NYUCD, but I acknowledge that I'll have to take out $$$ loans

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to the program director and he said if you maintain a 3.5, get a 20 on the dat, and have a satisfactory interview you get accepted. I think if you decide to apply out, then the acceptance is no longer guaranteed. Also, I want to go to NYUCD, but I acknowledge that I'll have to take out $$$ loans
I was in Nova's 4/4 program and was able to switch out. Although I never intended to leave unless it was going to my state school which was cheaper. Obviously things have changed. My requirements were a 3.3 and a 19 on the DAT. Albeit your requirements are higher than mine, a 20 on the DAT isn't impossible, and a 3.5 will require some work although it is doable. I have no idea how rigorous NYU is. However I can say that if you did want to attend dental school, a 3.5 and 20 DAT is about average for matriculated students, maybe slightly above average. If you can't get those marks, you may have a hard time matriculating. I don't think you will have any problems in the future though

Reactions: 1 users
If the requirements are a 3.5 and 20, what's even the purpose of that? I wouldn't restrict yourself to NYU with those stats, lmao.

Reactions: 5 users
I was in Nova's 4/4 program and was able to switch out. Although I never intended to leave unless it was going to my state school which was cheaper. Obviously things have changed. My requirements were a 3.3 and a 19 on the DAT. Albeit your requirements are higher than mine, a 20 on the DAT isn't impossible, and a 3.5 will require some work although it is doable. I have no idea how rigorous NYU is. However I can say that if you did want to attend dental school, a 3.5 and 20 DAT is about average for matriculated students, maybe slightly above average. If you can't get those marks, you may have a hard time matriculating. I don't think you will have any problems in the future though
Thanks for the info!
If the requirements are a 3.5 and 20, what's even the purpose of that? I wouldn't restrict yourself to NYU with those stats, lmao.
I think for most guaranteed programs the requirements are a 3.5 and 20 (Penn, ubuffalo, case western, etc). However, UPitt requires a 3.7 and a 22. Also, I would love to attend NYUCD in the future, so I wouldn't mind working hard to meet the requirements.

I can guarantee you when it comes time for OP to apply a 3.5 and 20 DAT will be slightly below average for matriculated students. Competition is increasing exponentially over the past few years. Go ask your dentist what his AA was on his DAT

Reactions: 1 user
I can guarantee you when it comes time for OP to apply a 3.5 and 20 DAT will be slightly below average for matriculated students. Competition is increasing exponentially over the past few years. Go ask your dentist what his AA was on his DAT

I don't need to ask my dentist. I can just ask my Father. I know his DAT score.

Strongly disagree with you. If those are the requirements, it is likely (given that the OP is generally intelligent and hard-working) that the OP will have higher numbers, which means that a 3.7 and a 21-22 is solid for virtually any school. and the fact that NYU will probably be a million dollars in tuition at that point, yeah. OP is making the wrong move here. Program ostensibly seems nice but the alternative is wayyyy better.

First off, congrats on getting in to the program! 3+4 programs are really competitive and you should be proud of getting in.

As for your questions:

- Aside from the ones who matriculated into NYU dental, I personally knew of one person in the NYU BA/DDS program who switched paths (e.g. decided to do med, dropped pre-health for something else, etc.) There are ten BA/DDS students accepted every year, so that's a really small minority.

- NYU's prehealth classes are pretty competitive compared to other schools, but you were accepted because the admissions folks found you to be the kind of student who can maintain a 3.5+ in that kind of program.

- If you want to specialize and do perio or endo, you will be able to do that at NYU. They also have both of those specialties, so you'll be able to talk with professors in both and find out more about the fields.

This bolded part is baloney. However, your ability to apply out if you're doing the program is severely limited.

The strength/point of the program is to get you on the fast track into NYU Dental. NYU undergrad won't give you your bachelor's degree, which is a requirement to enter any other dental school, until you've finished year 4 (source: About The Program | BA/DDS | New York University), by which point you'll already have finished your first year of dental school and have paid a year of dental school tuition.

If your dream is to be a dentist, go for this program! If you're not really sure about dentistry or have strong interests in attending a non-NYU dental school, don't do it.

Last edited:
First off, congrats on getting in to the program! 3+4 programs are really competitive and you should be proud of getting in.

As for your questions - aside from the ones who matriculated into NYU dental, I personally knew of one person in the NYU BA/DDS program and heard of another who switched paths after a year (e.g. decided to do med, dropped pre-health for something else, etc.) There are ten BA/DDS students accepted every year, so that's a really small minority.

NYU's prehealth classes are pretty competitive compared to other schools, but you were accepted because the admissions folks found you to be the kind of student who can maintain a 3.5+ in that kind of program.

If you want to specialize and do perio or endo, you will definitely be able to do that at NYU.

This bolded part is baloney. Schools don't receive reports about where else you're applying to or accepted on the AADSAS, unless you receive multiple acceptances and put down multiple deposits, then don't eventually withdraw the ones you don't want before the deadline.

However
, your ability to apply out if you're doing the program is severely limited. The strength/point of the program is to get you into NYU Dental, not "any dental school." NYU won't give you your bachelor's degree, which is a requirement to enter any dental school, until you've finished year 4 (source: About The Program | BA/DDS | New York University), by which point you'll already have finished your first year of dental school and have paid a year of dental school tuition. If you still are crazy enough to want to do that and apply to other dental schools at the end of your junior year, and you receive interviews, you'd have to be leaving your dental school classes to fly out and do them, and you'll probably face some difficulties/questions about why a current D1 dental student is applying to other schools, and wanting to repeat the first year of dental school.

My opinion; if your dream is to be a dentist, go for this program! If you're not sure about dentistry or have strong interests in attending a non-NYU school, don't do it.

If you have any more questions, go ahead and PM me, I'll be happy to answer.
Thank you for the info! And I'm pretty sure that I want to do/stay in the program, so I don't think I'll be applying out. As far as the people who switched paths while in the program, was that because they were struggling to maintain a 3.5?

Yup, it used to be that an 18 was a competitive DAT score; hell, almost every dentist I shadowed except for the recent grads had DATs in the 16-18 range. Iowa's average DAT for the class of 2000 was a 17.9 and the avg. GPA was a 3.38; now the average DAT is a 21 and the avg. GPA is a 3.75. Even today I would be nervous with a 20 AA with anything less than a 3.6, let alone think about someone's chances with a 3.5 and 20 AA in 3-4 years...

If it needs you to have a satisfactory interview to get in (in addition to DAT and GPA requirement), it is not a guaranteed admission. It is only a guaranteed interview.
Not worth it at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it needs you to have a satisfactory interview to get in (in addition to DAT and GPA requirement), it is not a guaranteed admission. It is only a guaranteed interview.
Not worth it at all.
From what I've heard the interview is more lax than a regular dental school interview because they know you're a BA/DDS student. They also consider you in a separate pool from regular applicants.

Not worth it at all.

and not sure if NYU is still cutting students and whatnot. Just a rumor from the past.

From what I've heard the interview is more lax than a regular dental school interview because they know you're a BA/DDS student. They also consider you in a separate pool from regular applicants.
No, you won't need to stress the interview for NYU; it IS guaranteed for you to get in. My interview day at Nova as an already accepted student was great and is just a formality. Everyone was so nervous about getting in and I stayed quiet scheming my weekend plans :p. Me and my interviewer chatted about cars for 20 minutes and then I walked out and got Chik-Fil-A

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the info!

I think for most guaranteed programs the requirements are a 3.5 and 20 (Penn, ubuffalo, case western, etc). However, UPitt requires a 3.7 and a 22. Also, I would love to attend NYUCD in the future, so I wouldn't mind working hard to meet the requirements.

Just curious, why are you set on NYU?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi I am currently a junior at NYU and I have several friends who are in the BA/DDS program and they all will be advancing to NYUCD next year. 3.5 is easily attainable because the classes all are curved with the average being a B. NYUCD does give some financial aid but it's mostly loans unless you really are in need. NYUCD is definitely good if you want to specialize, and the endo facilities are amazing.

Hi I am currently a junior at NYU and I have several friends who are in the BA/DDS program and they all will be advancing to NYUCD next year. 3.5 is easily attainable because the classes all are curved with the average being a B. NYUCD does give some financial aid but it's mostly loans unless you really are in need. NYUCD is definitely good if you want to specialize, and the endo facilities are amazing.
@k.dot Looks like you found the answer you are looking for fam

I got accepted to this program too when I was a senior in high school (hard to believe its been four years since). I ended up turning it down mostly due to financial reasons. Both the cost of NYU undergrad (around 70k per year) and dental school (~100k if not more per year) was just too much for me personally to go. Plus you have to factor in other things like living in NYC, food, travel to and from home, etc. Ended up choosing my local state university and going for much less which helped me and my parents save for me to go to dental school in the fall.

Normally I would say take any guaranteed program you can get. Turning down my 7 year program to SUNY Buffalo was a regret I had till the point I got accepted this cycle. However, really look at how much debt you want to be in when you graduate dental school in 7-8 years. Like people have said, NYU undergrad and dental are both great schools and you'd have an amazing experience, but its up to you if you want to take on that cost.

Hey man I'm a current high school senior who's really interested in applying to the NYU BA/DDS program. Any advice on how to get in, and would you recommend the program? I'm thinking of applying to it under early decision.

Hey man I'm a current high school senior who's really interested in applying to the NYU BA/DDS program. Any advice on how to get in, and would you recommend the program? I'm thinking of applying to it under early decision.

NYU is not a competitive dental school to get into (literally the largest in the country) plus one of the most expensive. Your goal should be to minimize your debt

Reactions: 2 users
I did this program back when it first started. I went undergrad on full ride. 4 of the 25 students went to other d schools or med school. Being the youngest in the class is not so great. Retrospectively, I should have enjoyed college more.

I did this program back when it first started. I went undergrad on full ride. 4 of the 25 students went to other d schools or med school. Being the youngest in the class is not so great. Retrospectively, I should have enjoyed college more.

Ah. This explains your grumpiness. Just kidding. I actually enjoy your colorful posts. :)

• Haha
Hi everyone!
I'm applying to the BA/DDS program rn. Does anyone have any tips for tackling the "Why NYU" essay?
should I explain my "why dentistry" or should I just skip to "why this program".

Hi everyone!
I'm applying to the BA/DDS program rn. Does anyone have any tips for tackling the "Why NYU" essay?
should I explain my "why dentistry" or should I just skip to "why this program".
I’m not familiar with the process but is that "Why NYU” essay the only essay/personal statement required?

Hi everyone!
Looks like UG at NYU is around 55k per year. with very conservative NYC living costs of 20k per year, becomes 75k *3 = 225k just for undergrad.

Dental school at NYU is estimated at 140k per year *4 = 560. not including tuition hikes. Congrats doc, you saved one year and now start your life at 785k in the hole!

I personally went to my state school for UG with a full ride scholarship living at home. No, it was not a fancy university and it was not in a cool city. It had no name recognition. But it was extremely cheap (free to be exact), and I got a degree out of it which is all I needed. I overloaded on credit hours, graduated in 3 years and got into a state dental school straight away at 19. accomplished the same goals as this BA/DDS program while saving literally hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Additionally, I mean this with all due respect, how do you even know you want to be a dentist right now? I would say give yourself some time to explore in college and see if you are even interested. There are so many different career paths to choose from. Locking yourself in this early on might be to your detriment long term, especially with such an expensive school.

Do not apply for this program unless your parents are really rich.

Hello,

I have recently committed to NYU's 7-year BA/DDS program. I received excellent financial aid and my parents are covering the rest of the cost so I should be coming out of undergrad debt-free. I just wanted to know if there are any other people on this site that are currently in this program. How's your experience so far?

Also some other questions:
- How hard is it to maintain a 3.5 at NYU?
- Does NYUCD give financial aid?
- How many people fail to advance to NYUCD from the BA/DDS program?
- How many people get accepted to the BA/DDS program every year?
- How hard is it to specialize in endodontics or periodontics coming out of NYUCD?
Hi, Can you tell me your stats and ecs that got you in and the process as well?

Thank You!