This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SubZero726

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I'm having a hard time deciding between NYU and UMB. I'm a Maryland resident, so yes large cost difference. However, I don't like Baltimore and if it doesn't negatively affect my education or cripple me with debt in the future, the extra $ may be worth it for me to live the last years of my 20s in nyc (I know this isn't an important factor to a lot of people but it is to me). I liked both schools (despite the "rumors" about nyu), and they both had a lot of features I liked such as recorded lectures. What I want to know is how big a difference (besides cost) will it make which one I went to after dental school? Am I any more or less likely to specialize or get a more competitive job after having gone to one over the other? I've heard it doesn't matter where you go. But will having gone to one look better than the other once I graduate? Also I've heard both are good clinically for the most part but is one significantly better than the other? I'm afraid of passing up such a competitive program and good price from Maryland, but I'm also afraid somewhere down the line I'll think the differences between cost/programs didn't warrant sentencing the rest of my 20s to baltimore when I could've been living in nyc and basically got the same education.
Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Maryland is a very respected dental school and would be on par, if not held to a higher standard than NYU.
As for jobs and specialization, it will make no difference where you attend.
In private practice, rarely will anyone ask where you graduated from. They are more interested if you are close to them and if you take their insurance.
NYU will cost you 500k+, while Maryland will cost you 200k. You will feel the hurt once you start paying back loans. 500k debt will cripple you.

Doing some quick calculations, a 10-year plan to pay back the loans would be..
Maryland: $2,300/month
NYU: $5,800/month

That's 3,500/month that you have to pay back for 10 years, just because you wanted to live 4 years in NYC. Ouch.

Take the Maryland offer as fast as you can.

Reactions: 1 users
Total no brainer-Baltimore. Better school for less than half the price. Your decision couldn’t be easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like you, I was deciding between the two (prior to getting off the waitlist of another school). It's always been my dream to live in nyc: my sister and best friends live there, theater, food, what's not too love?! And even though I live in the mid-atlantic (not MD though), I didn't know anything about Baltimore besides its reputation.

My interview at NYU was before my interview at UMD, and I was impressed by the school's location and its facilities. However, I personally felt that UMD's school was much better: smaller class size, newer/brighter (light is really important to me idk why) facilities, better "reputation". After exploring Baltimore, it's actually a very up and coming city -- there a resurgence, albeit slowly, to revitalize the city.

Plus, UMD is affordable. There's a difference between living in NYC as a student v. living in NYC as someone with a job. Many of the stuff I found attractive about New York costs money... A LOT of money. When you're a student, as I'm sure you know through undergrad, there's not gong to be a lot of disposable income for you to enjoy the city. NYU's costs is astronomical, like you said, so you're going to have loans. With those loans, you want to ensure that you're keeping as low of a cost as possible that way you pay less interest and you don't throw away money. Also, just to live In NYC, the cost of rent around the school is high, even with roommates. Even if you live in one of the outer boroughs to save money, that's going to be a long commute time, and in the summer (or all year, really), when the MTA is a p.o.s, and you're tired from lab or studying and just want to be home, that's going to be a headache.

In Baltimore, especially where the school is, it's a lot cheaper to have a good night out, travel around the city, go to DC (if you wanted more nightlife), or just be a regular student than it is in nyc. It's my thinking that if I really wanted to live in NYC, I will try to do so, no matter the age. So, maybe after graduation I could move there, that way I would be able to enjoy my time there (not having to study will help too). I'm also thinking that I could do a residency there, since they're not as long, and some (depending on the specialty), you get paid to do!

SOOOO, if I were you, I would stick to Maryland. But, I'm not you. So good luck with whatever choice you make and be confident with it!

Maryland. Don’t overthink it.

I'm from NYC. Not sure what all the "I want to live in NYC" hype is really about.

Didnt even bother reading the rest of your post cause none of that matters. Go to UMD. You really going to pay 300k extra to live in a box in NYC?

Hello everyone.
I'm having a hard time deciding between NYU and UMB. I'm a Maryland resident, so yes large cost difference. However, I don't like Baltimore and if it doesn't negatively affect my education or cripple me with debt in the future, the extra $ may be worth it for me to live the last years of my 20s in nyc (I know this isn't an important factor to a lot of people but it is to me). I liked both schools (despite the "rumors" about nyu), and they both had a lot of features I liked such as recorded lectures. What I want to know is how big a difference (besides cost) will it make which one I went to after dental school? Am I any more or less likely to specialize or get a more competitive job after having gone to one over the other? I've heard it doesn't matter where you go. But will having gone to one look better than the other once I graduate? Also I've heard both are good clinically for the most part but is one significantly better than the other? I'm afraid of passing up such a competitive program and good price from Maryland, but I'm also afraid somewhere down the line I'll think the differences between cost/programs didn't warrant sentencing the rest of my 20s to baltimore when I could've been living in nyc and basically got the same education.
Thanks in advance
They are both fantastic programs and you will come out a great dentist in either one. However if you go to UMD you will be a great dentist that's not as poor. DO NOT overestimate the "spending your best years in NYC" hype. You'll be so busy that you will just order takeout much of the time anyway. Staring at notes is the same whether you're in a studio for $2000 a month, or splitting a place in Baltimore for $700 a month. Maybe you'll hit a bar here or there or you'll see some attraction, but it is NOT worth the extra $$$$.
Take my word for it, I have lived most of my life in NYC. I have also lived all over the country. But the longer I was away from NYC, the less I wanted to come back. Make the financially smart move.

You will be too poor to live in NYC after you graduate if you go to NYU.

Think of all the trips to NY you could have with 300k.

You guys dont realize how much people in NY look to leave lmao. (#3 most moved out state in US)

But a quick look at Zillow should tell everyone everything they should know.

You’re going to have a mortgage, probably an auto loan, 500k in debt, if you do residency possibly 700k, then you would be in so much debt you couldnt possibly pay it back on an associate dentists salary of 140k. Then add on the fact NY has one of the highest costs of living in the country. Then in order to increase your profits you’d have to be the owner of a practice which would be another loan of let’s say 400k leaving you at over 1 million in negative net worth. Unless your parents are paying, going to NYU would be such a financially poor decision.

Didnt even bother reading the rest of your post cause none of that matters. Go to UMD. You really going to pay 300k extra to live in a box in NYC?

I second this. You could literally go to Maryland and use your extra 300k to visit the city to your hearts content.