This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

queenofthenorth

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
University of Buffalo
Pros:
- Cheaper than NYU
- New facilities
- Low rent
- in-state tuition after a year I think?

Cons:
- Cold!
- the city compared to nyc

NYU
Pros:
- NYC; I've always wanted to live in a big city and a lot of my friends live there currently

Cons:
-EXPENSIVE
-large class size

I'm OOS. I think I am leaning towards Buffalo because I feel like the only pro for NYU is being in NYC.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious as I’ve seen a few posts. Why would you not go to ECU as IS, P/F and cheap!

I really thought long and hard about that as well. It’s very hard to turn it down, but I’ve lived in Greenville, NC my whole life. I think its time to experience something new!

Last edited:
I really thought long and hard about that as well. It’s very hard to turn it down, but I’ve lived in Greenville, NC my whole life. I think its time to experience something new!

I'm sorry...WHAT???? You're turning down possibly the cheapest school in the country just because you want to experience the northeast for four years!? Please consider the fact that with the kind of debt you're going to accrue by going to either one of the other schools (especially NYU) will make you a slave to paying it off. You might end up needing to go somewhere worse than Greenville just to make enough to make payments on your debt.

If I were you I would 100% go to ECU and graduate with a fraction of the debt so that you can have more freedom to experience whatever you want after school. I know an ECU grad who was able to buy a practice in a very desirable, saturated location and still pay off his debt in less than 5 years while also putting money toward his retirement and investments. All because of the relatively cheap tuition.

I don't mean to come at you so hard, but seriously consider how easy it would be to sacrifice 4 years for waaaay more freedom to go where you want after school. It should be a no-brainer.

Reactions: 4 users
ECU. Save your money in student debt and visit NYC (or Buffalo) for vacation.

Name of the game is to graduate with the least debt bc all dental schools give the same thing in the end - a dental degree.

ECU FTW

Reactions: 1 user
University of Buffalo
Pros:
- Cheaper than NYU
- New facilities
- Low rent
- in-state tuition after a year I think?

Cons:
- Cold!
- the city compared to nyc

NYU
Pros:
- NYC; I've always wanted to live in a big city and a lot of my friends live there currently

Cons:
-EXPENSIVE
-large class size

I'm OOS. I think I am leaning towards Buffalo because I feel like the only pro for NYU is being in NYC.

I'm currently in NYU dental and my close friend goes to Buffalo Dental. I will give you the breakout.

Financial:
Of course NYU is way more expensive, HOWEVER, if you can live AT HOME or rent-free and still attend NYU, the price will only be about 25k more at NYU.

That being said, if you really really want to be in manhattan, go to NYU (if you can live at home)
BUT, the price of paying rent in manhattan is way too much.. itll cost you about 120k a year .. thats insane.

Youre gonna be studying all day anyway basically so you wont have time to enjoy what manhattan has to offer and youre in dental school to work not to party.

If youre cold, wear a sweater tbh. I know it sounds mean but you have to realize that the classes and education are pretty much the same thing. So its all about the location and cost.

ON NYU Academics (since i go there):

STUDENTS LOVE TO WHINE ABOUT EVERYTHING. I'm a D1 and all the upperclassmen tell me that my class are the whinest class to date. Very entitled group of students.

You dont feel the large class size. WHY? because ONLY 20 % OF STUDENTS ATTEND LECTURE. They record everything so you can study on your own time. Its amazing.

In terms of labs and clinics:

It's a pain because they dont really teach us, we learn ourselves, practice on our own and ask for help from the TA's. It does suck but you get used to it. Everyone tells you how to "drill" differently. Thats the reality but its really not that bad. Just a little inefficient.

Quality of life
your apartment will be way nicer in buffalo due to lower rent, youre gonna be in your apartment most of the time anyway so i personally would go with buffalo.

I only went to NYU because going to school close to home was extremely crucial to me.

Reactions: 1 user
can I message you?

I'm currently in NYU dental and my close friend goes to Buffalo Dental. I will give you the breakout.

Financial:
Of course NYU is way more expensive, HOWEVER, if you can live AT HOME or rent-free and still attend NYU, the price will only be about 25k more at NYU.

That being said, if you really really want to be in manhattan, go to NYU (if you can live at home)
BUT, the price of paying rent in manhattan is way too much.. itll cost you about 120k a year .. thats insane.

Youre gonna be studying all day anyway basically so you wont have time to enjoy what manhattan has to offer and youre in dental school to work not to party.

If youre cold, wear a sweater tbh. I know it sounds mean but you have to realize that the classes and education are pretty much the same thing. So its all about the location and cost.

ON NYU Academics (since i go there):

STUDENTS LOVE TO WHINE ABOUT EVERYTHING. I'm a D1 and all the upperclassmen tell me that my class are the whinest class to date. Very entitled group of students.

You dont feel the large class size. WHY? because ONLY 20 % OF STUDENTS ATTEND LECTURE. They record everything so you can study on your own time. Its amazing.

In terms of labs and clinics:

It's a pain because they dont really teach us, we learn ourselves, practice on our own and ask for help from the TA's. It does suck but you get used to it. Everyone tells you how to "drill" differently. Thats the reality but its really not that bad. Just a little inefficient.

Quality of life
your apartment will be way nicer in buffalo due to lower rent, youre gonna be in your apartment most of the time anyway so i personally would go with buffalo.

I only went to NYU because going to school close to home was extremely crucial to me.