Odd Situation- Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zgotham1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

this is my first post in SDN and I want to say hello! So here is my odd situation.. Im a student at a University in Northern Eastern Pennsylvania currently in undergrad as Sport and Exercise Science and like I stated early in an odd situation. Currently at my university I'm following a Pre-PA track with the intended desire to go to PA school postgraduate. However, deep down inside I always desired to be a doctor rather than a PA. When I was applying for colleges, I always told myself that I "wasn't smart enough to go to med-school", but now that I'm a junior I'm a little torn that I let the fear of failure get the best of me and possibly squish my dream of ever becoming a physician.

Lately, I've been really pondering with the idea of wanting to apply to medical school and not letting the fear of failure get the best of me. To give a little bit of background, the Pre-PA track at my university is essentially a Pre-Med track (without Calculus and Physics 1 and 2 w/Lab).

I have taken thus far:
- BIO 1 and 2 w/labs (Currently in Gross Anatomy w/ lab right now)
**Also have taken a university requirement of Animal Physiology which is essentially a Human Physiology 3 credit course
- 6 Cr of Gen Chem Lecture w/ Lab
- 6 Cr of Organic Chem (in OCHEM 1 lab right now)
- 9 Cr of Psych (Intro, Developmental, Psychopath)
- 3 Cr of Trigonometry
- other courses in philosophy, theology (required Catholic University) and other humanities/lib arts.
Current GPA is 3.75

This brings me to some questions: I understand that this is the MD thread,however I've heard that LECOM has a bridge program PA to D.O. and has two routes. A route where you can apply to LECOM after 1 yer of PA school then go to 4 years of their program or finish PA school practice for 1 or 2 years then go back to med school for an accelerated program. Do any of these make sense? Could I get some advice if that sounds like a rational choice? Or does it just sound like prolonged time + extra cash. (Have you heard of any PA to MD bridge programs?)

Or should I just take an extra semester and take those required courses and then take the MCAT and maybe apply within the next 2 years?

Some advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Z.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.