This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zgotham1

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello All,

this is my first post in SDN and I want to say hello! So here is my odd situation.. Im a student at a University in Northern Eastern Pennsylvania currently in undergrad as Sport and Exercise Science and like I stated early in an odd situation. Currently at my university I'm following a Pre-PA track with the intended desire to go to PA school postgraduate. However, deep down inside I always desired to be a doctor rather than a PA. When I was applying for colleges, I always told myself that I "wasn't smart enough to go to med-school", but now that I'm a junior I'm a little torn that I let the fear of failure get the best of me and possibly squish my dream of ever becoming a physician.

Lately, I've been really pondering with the idea of wanting to apply to medical school and not letting the fear of failure get the best of me. To give a little bit of background, the Pre-PA track at my university is essentially a Pre-Med track (without Calculus and Physics 1 and 2 w/Lab).

I have taken thus far:
- BIO 1 and 2 w/labs (Currently in Gross Anatomy w/ lab right now)
**Also have taken a university requirement of Animal Physiology which is essentially a Human Physiology 3 credit course
- 6 Cr of Gen Chem Lecture w/ Lab
- 6 Cr of Organic Chem (in OCHEM 1 lab right now)
- 9 Cr of Psych (Intro, Developmental, Psychopath)
- 3 Cr of Trigonometry
- other courses in philosophy, theology (required Catholic University) and other humanities/lib arts.
Current GPA is 3.75

This brings me to some questions: I understand that this is the MD thread,however I've heard that LECOM has a bridge program PA to D.O. and has two routes. A route where you can apply to LECOM after 1 yer of PA school then go to 4 years of their program or finish PA school practice for 1 or 2 years then go back to med school for an accelerated program. Do any of these make sense? Could I get some advice if that sounds like a rational choice? Or does it just sound like prolonged time + extra cash. (Have you heard of any PA to MD bridge programs?)

Or should I just take an extra semester and take those required courses and then take the MCAT and maybe apply within the next 2 years?

Some advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Z.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.