# of practica prior to internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roryportman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 2nd year student currently on my 1st external practicum. I'm interested in neuropsychology, but not sure if I want to have a specific NP practicum next year- I want to develop my therapy skills further. My current site has actually been great for assessments (already done several integrated reports) but unfortunately therapy has been wanting. However, that means that as a 4th year student who will hopefully be applying to internship, I'll only have had one NP practica and be in the midst of it at that. Would this potentially make me less competitive for NP internships?

Also, I'm not entirely opposed to holding a year off and applying to internship as a 5th year. But I am already a little older than the average age of 2nd years and itching to have an income again! Appreciate any thoughts, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My focus was not and is not neuropsych, but my understanding is it is EXTREMELY competitive. I think multiple neuropsych practica is the way to go - not one at the end. Can you do therapy at your program’s clinic?

Generally speaking, having only one NP practicum placement (that you're in the process of completing) will make you less competitive for neuro-focused internships, yes. If it were me, I would strongly consider completing multiple neuropsych placements, even if it meant sticking around an "extra" year (last I checked, 5+1 is closer to the norm, but that was a few years ago) or doing double-duty if possible.

NP is a very large body of knowledge. I started with it in day 1 of my graduate program (way back when), and still had substantial amounts to learn by the time I went through internship and postdoc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses!

Can you do therapy at your program’s clinic?

I can and currently am, but the experience isn't that great either. Supervision for me is pretty much last priority for my supervisor.

@AcronymAllergy yes, 5+1 definitely seems to be the norm amongst people I know. Was trying to avoid that though. Do you know if most NP ppl who apply to internship have 2.5 years of NP experience then? As in 1 year of general practicum, and 3 NP?

@AcronymAllergy yes, 5+1 definitely seems to be the norm amongst people I know. Was trying to avoid that though. Do you know if most NP ppl who apply to internship have 2.5 years of NP experience then? As in 1 year of general practicum, and 3 NP?

I would say that to be competitive for a good neuro-focused internship, you need at least 1 year of neuro practicum. Most of the higher tier applicants in this areas are more like 2 years, with 2-3 different settings.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say that to be competitive for a good neuro-focused internship, you need at least 1 year of neuro practicum. Most of the higher tier applicants in this areas are more like 2 years, with 2-3 different settings.

I would second with this, yep.

You might be able to fit in additional therapy experience by either providing it for folks at a neuropsych placement, or concurrently participating in another practicum (even if informally), depending on what your program allows.

Yep, this is what I was saying.

I did one year of a neuropsych practicum while I was working at the grad school clinic and doing another therapy-focused practicum. Not trying to say I carried water uphill both ways, but not unusual for grad students to do more than one prac to get exposure to various sites. I know grad school seems like forever now, but 5 years will go by and you’ll miss this training time. Pack in the experiences, if you can!

It is also possible to find neuro-based sites that will give you both assessment and therapy. As intervention is needed, I completed the bulk of my intervention hours at a neurorehabilitation site (which also allowed for assessment). If you do not have an internal clinic (we do and we do it in addition to our external sites), then I personally also see value in more general outpatient work as many sites, especially VAs, are going to have a significant therapy component. However, I'd be hesitant to do that in lieu of neuro work.

I'm a 2nd year student currently on my 1st external practicum. I'm interested in neuropsychology, but not sure if I want to have a specific NP practicum next year- I want to develop my therapy skills further. My current site has actually been great for assessments (already done several integrated reports) but unfortunately therapy has been wanting. However, that means that as a 4th year student who will hopefully be applying to internship, I'll only have had one NP practica and be in the midst of it at that. Would this potentially make me less competitive for NP internships?

Also, I'm not entirely opposed to holding a year off and applying to internship as a 5th year. But I am already a little older than the average age of 2nd years and itching to have an income again! Appreciate any thoughts, thanks!

I'm a neuro-focused trainee, and I did 4, year-long NP practica. In order to get sufficient therapy training, I did two practica at once (1 NP and 1 therapy). I felt really prepared for internship and still found the process incredibly competitive.

I'm a neuro-focused trainee, and I did 4, year-long NP practica. In order to get sufficient therapy training, I did two practica at once (1 NP and 1 therapy). I felt really prepared for internship and still found the process incredibly competitive.
What does your research output look like?

On a separate note - for those in the NYC area familiar with the match process here - does it REALLY matter if it takes several days past the first open day at 9am (this year 1/22 yesterday) to apply to sites? Do places really "ding" candidates that don't apply ASAP? What's the rush if the whole month of February will be interviews?

On a separate note - for those in the NYC area familiar with the match process here - does it REALLY matter if it takes several days past the first open day at 9am (this year 1/22 yesterday) to apply to sites? Do places really "ding" candidates that don't apply ASAP? What's the rush if the whole month of February will be interviews?

I would submit your apps as soon as possible. A few sites have already started extending interview invites. Also, I've heard that some sites have started emailing DCTs saying they've got enough applications already and don't want anymore so to steer any students away. If you submit too late, a lot of sites may have already made their 1st round of interview offers and may not dip back into the pool until later.

Also, though there's not an official deadline for submission, some sites have deadlines that they put on their page and won't accept applications after that

I agree with others, our program is already going through applications. Keep in mind that many programs are not just interviewing external, they are also completing internship and in some cases fellowship interviews on top of clinical/research duties. It’s a very busy time of year. Don’t delay and get them in!

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I was unsure about my application but sent it in anyway to a few sites last night, and heard back from a couple places today :)

Next year I'll remember to be more on top of this :rolleyes: