Off-Topic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
haha...pics!!

JK

I tried. My supervisor even came along for the pickup but they had it all packaged up like they were afraid of contamination or something. Silly lab people.
Apparently someone's pet got attacked by some coyotes, then started getting sick and acting strange a few days later. Suspected rabies case, and they have to be sure since it bit a couple of people.

Members don't see this ad.

I've transported blood samples from murder victims, amputated body parts, the occasional uterus or placenta, and other such goodies.
We regularly get these large grey plastic tubs full of containers of various sizes with "leftovers" from the pathology/histology lab going to....I dunno, a disposal site? Usually we have no idea what's specifically in there, but there was this one courier a year or so ago who accidentally dumped his grey tote all over the ground just outside the main entrance of the hospital, spilling the contents all over the pavement. They had to send the lab people out to clean up livers and brains and whatnot all while people were trying to pull into the hospital entryway. Lol

I've seen heart valves and amputated fingers.. That's about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen heart valves and amputated fingers.. That's about it.

I saw a kid who "amputated" a few fingers falling in front of a lawnmower. Pretty gnarly for my first day in the hopsital lol

I have felt breast calcifications on the conscious woman and then felt them after they were excised. I also gave a man a prostate exam and felt bad the entire time. No lie.

I have felt breast calcifications on the conscious woman and then felt them after they were excised. I also gave a man a prostate exam and felt bad the entire time. No lie.

Pretty sure it's 100% unethical for a physician to let a pre-med perform either of those on his/her patient. Oh well.

Pretty sure it's 100% unethical for a physician to let a pre-med perform either of those on his/her patient. Oh well.

I assisted in the removal of a chemo port. The surgeon wasn't even in the room. He left me and a nurse to do it. It was totally awesome.

I assisted in the removal of a chemo port. The surgeon wasn't even in the room. He left me and a nurse to do it. It was totally awesome.

But when you're doing something like that you actually know what your end-goal is.. to remove the port. When you're doing a prostate exam or palpating a breast (as a pre-med) you have no idea what normal is and/or what you should be feeling for.

But when you're doing something like that you actually know what your end-goal is.. to remove the port. When you're doing a prostate exam or palpating a breast (as a pre-med) you have no idea what normal is and/or what you should be feeling for.

Lol when you are a part of a competitive medical internship with the consent of patients, it's ok. I got individual lectures by the physicians since it was the best cancer center in the country. I really would suggest others to take part in such a thing because you wake at 4am and complete pre rounds, rounds, procedures, and consults with all the subspecialties and then your day ends around 7-8pm. Definitely solidified my desire to pursue something in oncology.

It is typically for premeds that don't know they want to go into med, but because I had completed lots of research, shadowing, and patho/cancer/physio courses, they pushed me towards the more advanced practice and lectures with the medical students in their respective internships.
Gotta get yourself some lenient physicians and patients who really want to help the next gen of docs. Great fun and experience.

Lol when you are a part of a competitive medical internship with the consent of patients, it's ok. I got individual lectures by the physicians since it was the best cancer center in the country. I really would suggest others to take part in such a thing because you wake at 4am and complete pre rounds, rounds, procedures, and consults with all the subspecialties and then your day ends around 7-8pm. Definitely solidified my desire to pursue something in oncology.

It is typically for premeds that don't know they want to go into med, but because I had completed lots of research, shadowing, and patho/cancer/physio courses, they pushed me towards the more advanced practice and lectures with the medical students in their respective internships.
Gotta get yourself some lenient physicians and patients who really want to help the next gen of docs. Great fun and experience.

Sounds like a good program. I personally am not letting a pre-med stick anything in any of my orifices though ;)

Sounds like a good program. I personally am not letting a pre-med stick anything in any of my orifices though ;)

HAHAHA I knooow I felt soooo bad. He was nice about it and just played it off with a joke. If you enjoy cancer medicine, I really suggest doing an internship over the summers between years during med school.

Anyone having any troubles with the SDN Mobile for Android? All I'm getting is the SDN logo page but not logging in.

Didn't want to start a thread so had to dig this up.

Anyone having any troubles with the SDN Mobile for Android? All I'm getting is the SDN logo page but not logging in.

Didn't want to start a thread so had to dig this up.

Mine is fine.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Nevermind. Did a hard reset and it started working so probably a network problem on my end.

Just something awesome from the webz...

1321987864_toad_with_a_parasite_in_eye.gif

I just got a gopro camera and am really psyched about it. I tried it for the first time this morning while scuba diving and it was rad.
That's all. Random, I know, but that's what this thread is for.

I just got a gopro camera and am really psyched about it. I tried it for the first time this morning while scuba diving and it was rad.

Where did you go scuba diving?

The Winterfell sewers, duh.

Oh yeah, me and my dry suit made it all the way to the Wall. Who knew they had such an extensive sewer system ;)
I'm in Maui and went off the coast of Lanai. Saw a few eels, turtles and a giant porcupine fish so I can't complain! I definitely need to invest in some sort of underwater color filter for the gopro though because most everything looks grayish when I look at the videos/pics
I'm taking it skydiving next week-should get some amazing footage there!.

What the heck.
Oh, when I quoted the picture I see the name of the jpg and now it makes a lot more sense.

haha...it was really weird and I didnt know where to put it, so I put it here. pretty cool (hopefully you saw its a .gif)

I just got the go pro as well! I go the hero 3 black edition to be cool...jk, I got it because it can record 120 fps in 720p for some nice slow mo action, which I like.

I havent used it yet though and I wish I could do something as cool as scuba diving. But Im going to take it on a cruise and hopefully get a nice video out of it...

I just got the go pro as well! I go the hero 3 black edition to be cool...jk, I got it because it can record 120 fps in 720p for some nice slow mo action, which I like.

I havent used it yet though and I wish I could do something as cool as scuba diving. But Im going to take it on a cruise and hopefully get a nice video out of it...

I got the same one! Unfortunately my MacBook is too old to handle the video so it looks choppy :( I've been planning on getting a new laptop for med school so hopefully that happens sooner rather than later and I can finally watch some of these damn videos! Technology-a blessing while also such a struggle at times. I guess I could get an hdmi cord in the meantime....

I got the same one! Unfortunately my MacBook is too old to handle the video so it looks choppy :( I've been planning on getting a new laptop for med school so hopefully that happens sooner rather than later and I can finally watch some of these damn videos! Technology-a blessing while also such a struggle at times. I guess I could get an hdmi cord in the meantime....

Oh nice...haha, its the truth though. Tech is both awesome and horrible, depending on if its doing what I tell it to or not!

The new macbook pros with retina displays are pretty sweet...too bad they are so expensive. Ill end up getting one before school starts, but Im going to complain about it for a while ;)

Ooh I'll have to check those out. I'm a dyed in the wool apple person so I have no doubt I'll be getting a MacBook. I've just been avoiding even checking them out because I know I'll drive myself insane wanting one and I'm trying to use my current MacBook until it really dies (I've lived though 4 hard drive crashes over the past 5 years). This thing has been through thick and thin with me so I feel like I owe it to it. I get slightly emotionally attached to my techie gadgets ;)

Ooh I'll have to check those out. I'm a dyed in the wool apple person so I have no doubt I'll be getting a MacBook. I've just been avoiding even checking them out because I know I'll drive myself insane wanting one and I'm trying to use my current MacBook until it really dies (I've lived though 4 hard drive crashes over the past 5 years). This thing has been through thick and thin with me so I feel like I owe it to it. I get slightly emotionally attached to my techie gadgets ;)

haha...I wish I could that I didnt understand...:laugh:

But, yeah, especially if you are still rocking a white pre-unibody style macbook, you should give the newer macbook pros a try.

haha...I wish I could that I didnt understand...:laugh:

But, yeah, especially if you are still rocking a white pre-unibody style macbook, you should give the newer macbook pros a try.

I've got a mid 2010 MacBook Pro and just wish I had a good excuse to get a new one. Nothing like throwing a tiny bit more debt into the mix. Lol

I've got a mid 2010 MacBook Pro and just wish I had a good excuse to get a new one. Nothing like throwing a tiny bit more debt into the mix. Lol

I've pretty much decided to get an 8GB 13" MBA. It will be my first Mac.

8GB? You're talking RAM, right?

Yea. I'll probably stick with 128GB storage. I think the upgrade the same 256 is $400 and I'd rather just get an external for alot cheaper.

Im rockin the MBA right now...and its pretty awesome. Really fast, really light. And the new ones finally have usb 3.0 along with the thunderbolt ports.

And the huge trackpad is great too...

(and yeah 8GB would be ram...the SSD would be 128GB, 256GB, or, if you really hate money, they have a 512GB option)

I have the 128GB and just use a small 500GB external hard drive for extra storage and backups.

Im rockin the MBA right now...and its pretty awesome. Really fast, really light. And the new ones finally have usb 3.0 along with the thunderbolt ports.

And the huge trackpad is great too...

(and yeah 8GB would be ram...the SSD would be 128GB, 256GB, or, if you really hate money, they have a 512GB option)

I have the 128GB and just use a small 500GB external hard drive for extra storage and backups.

Yea I have looked at alot of the pc ultrabooks and while many of them have the MBA beat in certain aspects I think the MBA is the best all around.

Do it! You will not regret this decision!

I thought I'd need a "supercomputer" for all the 3D anatomy software they told us about at interview, but it turns out that you can't get it for personal use unless you want to spend a couple grand. (we have it on computers in each of the private study rooms instead.

So I bought a 15" MacBook Pro (mid 2011). It's got the quad core i7, 16gb RAM, 750GB hard drive, 1GB video card etc. All it does is hurt my back now, I could have gotten by just fine with a little netbook for like $400.00 (but I wouldn't since I'm a Mac user).

Anyway, those air's are fast, and light. That would have been the ultimate purchase now that I can look back on it.

Oh, and anytime anyone wants to swap gore stories, I'm down. I've seen a lot of good stuff over the years.

Yea I have looked at alot of the pc ultrabooks and while many of them have the MBA beat in certain aspects I think the MBA is the best all around.

:thumbup:

Do it! You will not regret this decision!

I thought I'd need a "supercomputer" for all the 3D anatomy software they told us about at interview, but it turns out that you can't get it for personal use unless you want to spend a couple grand. (we have it on computers in each of the private study rooms instead.

So I bought a 15" MacBook Pro (mid 2011). It's got the quad core i7, 16gb RAM, 750GB hard drive, 1GB video card etc. All it does is hurt my back now, I could have gotten by just fine with a little netbook for like $400.00 (but I wouldn't since I'm a Mac user).

Anyway, those air's are fast, and light. That would have been the ultimate purchase now that I can look back on it.

Oh, and anytime anyone wants to swap gore stories, I'm down. I've seen a lot of good stuff over the years.

:thumbup::thumbup:

So true...and for day to day, the MBA is faster than almost any computer and much cooler(temperature wise)

C'mon guys, lets put our massive med school worthy heads together and come up with legitimate reasons why our next computer purchase should be a new laptop for me even though our MacBook Pro is the only computer we have (no desktop since my iMac died :() and its only 2 years old!

C'mon guys, lets put our massive med school worthy heads together and come up with legitimate reasons why our next computer purchase should be a new laptop for me even though our MacBook Pro is the only computer we have (no desktop since my iMac died :() and its only 2 years old!

You need one that you can use 24/7. Now it just comes down to who (you or your wife) gets the new one. Obviously you get the new one because you don't want to burden your wife with the anxiety of breaking a new shiny toy.

You're welcome.

You need one that you can use 24/7. Now it just comes down to who (you or your wife) gets the new one. Obviously you get the new one because you don't want to burden your wife with the anxiety of breaking a new shiny toy.

You're welcome.

Listen....you need both an iMac and a Laptop. Your wife needs a computer at home, which will be a hub for all your media (tell wife, pics of kids..."you do want pics of our kids, right?")

You need a computer for school. Period. You have to have a laptop to go back and forth to school with, and apple has several apps for medical school that you can use on your laptop. Its an investment.

Last note, youre about to get reimbursed for one of your laptops and get $20K from the DOD, a monthly stipend and no med school debt. You can afford it.

Do it for the children

Edit: Plus, Apple has the barclay card that gives you 18 months no interest, so you can get your computers and not pay for them until you get your HPSP money. Its almost irresponsible not to get them

Listen....you need both an iMac and a Laptop. Your wife needs a computer at home, which will be a hub for all your media (tell wife, pics of kids..."you do want pics of our kids, right?")

You need a computer for school. Period. You have to have a laptop to go back and forth to school with, and apple has several apps for medical school that you can use on your laptop. Its an investment.

Last note, youre about to get reimbursed for one of your laptops and get $20K from the DOD, a monthly stipend and no med school debt. You can afford it.

Do it for the children

Wait wait wait...you're telling me the HPSP will cover a new computer? Didn't know that, do you know how much they'll pay for?

We kind of could use a new car too, our CNG/gasoline bi-fuel car won't be worth nearly as much in Oregon as it is here in Utah where CNG fill stations are everywhere. I think I may have a tough time convincing the wife that we need to get a new laptop in conjunction with the new desktop we certainly need.

Plus, I'm gonna have to invest in some quality external drives. My 1TB HDD in my iMac was nearly full, and not backed up anywhere, when it failed. I use a LOT of storage...

You're welcome.

I like this. "Like"

Wait wait wait...you're telling me the HPSP will cover a new computer? Didn't know that, do you know how much they'll pay for?

We kind of could use a new car too, our CNG/gasoline bi-fuel car won't be worth nearly as much in Oregon as it is here in Utah where CNG fill stations are everywhere. I think I may have a tough time convincing the wife that we need to get a new laptop in conjunction with the new desktop we certainly need.

Plus, I'm gonna have to invest in some quality external drives. My 1TB HDD in my iMac was nearly full, and not backed up anywhere, when it failed. I use a LOT of storage...

I didn't know you were going HPSP!

They will, *if, your school lists it as required. Some dont require it, so you might not get that... but if yours does, they will give the general tech specs and a suggested price you can get such a computer for and you can have that amount reimbursed through HPSP.

honestly, I couldnt do school without a laptop...not even stretching the truth here. So, in a nice way, Id let your wife know that you need a laptop and I guess you can talk about how much to spend, but thats up to you. The laptop is for you.

Do you use TimeMachine? I like it now and it keeps you backed up without you having to think about it.

I didn't know you were going HPSP!

Yeah, Halflistic and I both. At least I think that's still the case...?
Anyway, I've passed the physical and am turning in the last paperwork this week and will be waiting to hear back from the board to see if I got it.

They will, *if, your school lists it as required. Some dont require it, so you might not get that... but if yours does, they will give the general tech specs and a suggested price you can get such a computer for and you can have that amount reimbursed through HPSP.

honestly, I couldnt do school without a laptop...not even stretching the truth here. So, in a nice way, Id let your wife know that you need a laptop and I guess you can talk about how much to spend, but thats up to you. The laptop is for you.

Do you use TimeMachine? I like it now and it keeps you backed up without you having to think about it.

Yes, my MBP is backed up on time machine now. Learned my lesson. I have been able to recover info from my old 1TB HDD though so that's good.

I'll just have to argue that our current laptop is much too heavy and "old" to carry around. Lol

Yeah, Halflistic and I both. At least I think that's still the case...?
Anyway, I've passed the physical and am turning in the last paperwork this week and will be waiting to hear back from the board to see if I got it.

Im still on the fence...but Im all complete! Everything looks awesome, the only drawback comes with the added confusion when you go to match. But, the perks and the experience are both amazing...so, we'll see come March.

Yes, my MBP is backed up on time machine now. Learned my lesson. I have been able to recover info from my old 1TB HDD though so that's good.

I'll just have to argue that our current laptop is much too heavy and "old" to carry around. Lol

Sometimes old laptops just stop working...sometimes they are really...slippery :cool:

Ugh I can't bring myself to do HPSP.. the uncertainty of where I'll get deployed isn't worth the saving.

Ugh I can't bring myself to do HPSP.. the uncertainty of where I'll get deployed isn't worth the saving.

What do you mean? The majority stay in one location stateside during their active duty and most do about 6 months overseas once. Doesn't really matter where you get sent overseas, since it isn't really that dangerous or even that long for what you get paid in return. I did some rough calculations and for the school I'm going to, and just accounting for the tuition and fees they are paying for with the interest included, by the time I finish school and residency they will have paid for ~$300K of my costs. That's not including a $20K signing bonus or the $2K/month stipend. That's a lot of reimbursement for just 4 yrs of work.
Money issues aside, I've always wanted to serve in the military, especially if I could do it as an officer. It's a win win situation for us, but to each his own.

What do you mean? The majority stay in one location stateside during their active duty and most do about 6 months overseas once. Doesn't really matter where you get sent overseas, since it isn't really that dangerous or even that long for what you get paid in return. I did some rough calculations and for the school I'm going to, and just accounting for the tuition and fees they are paying for with the interest included, by the time I finish school and residency they will have paid for ~$300K of my costs. That's not including a $20K signing bonus or the $2K/month stipend. That's a lot of reimbursement for just 4 yrs of work.
Money issues aside, I've always wanted to serve in the military, especially if I could do it as an officer. It's a win win situation for us, but to each his own.

Yea it's definitely a great situation for people who are interested in the military. Unfortunately, I am not. I'm still considering it since it is a pretty sweet deal financially.

No amount of money in the world could ever make me join the military.

My only concern is that you have to apply for a deferment if you want to match into a civilian residency. So, if you dont get the deferment, and you dont match military, then you have to spend two years or so doing GMO type tours and gain enough "points" to be granted a deferment (or match military).

I think deployment would suck in ways, but be fun in other ways...