Official 2008 Secondary Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
for the university of chicago's additional information section, did everybody put something in there? I'm trying to decide whether its expected that everybody fill that section out or if i should consider leaving it blank...don't know what kind of information i should add in there...

Members don't see this ad.

rochester's secondary....wtf..

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an LOR request from UMich this afternoon.

for the university of chicago's additional information section, did everybody put something in there? I'm trying to decide whether its expected that everybody fill that section out or if i should consider leaving it blank...don't know what kind of information i should add in there...

I've been putting something down for those types of things. I'm sure you could find something to highlight or expand upon.

hey all, I am new so I am wondering if anyone has heard anything from these schools:

USC
Mount Sinai
NYU
Stony Brook
Temple

I read that other ppl have received invite from Georgetown and UWashington. I applied but havent heard anything from the two, but then again my AMCAS just got verified today. Should I be concerned with Georgetown and UW?

Thanks!

I read that other ppl have received invite from Georgetown and UWashington. I applied but havent heard anything from the two, but then again my AMCAS just got verified today. Should I be concerned with Georgetown and UW?

It's not a lightning quick process. Give it a little time. I didn't get the Georgetown essay for a little while after 6/21, and I was verified on 6/6.

thanks Zipmedic!

what are some suggestions for answering the secondary essay questions? i am having such a hard time answering them because i feel like i have talked about everything in my primary already. help!

what are some suggestions for answering the secondary essay questions? i am having such a hard time answering them because i feel like i have talked about everything in my primary already. help!

If you really can't find something to write about you didn't cover already in your PS (which I find unlikely), then try to expand on something. What is different or new since you submitted your primary? How can you better explain something without :beat:? Pace yourself, relax, and you'll make it. Remember -- marathon, not sprint.

thanks Zipmedic!

I've found it helpful to look at the strengths of each school and what they're looking for before deciding what to write about. I have different experiences and goals that I discuss based on which school I'm applying to. Not BS, but different facets of my life/work experience. Also, I try to think about the image that the combination of my AMCAS and secondary will present and tailor my essays to tweak that image. I'm sure you have experiences/activities that are mentioned in your AMCAS ECs and not discusses in your PS. If you managed to touch on everything in your PS, it must not have been in much detail; use the secondary to expand and flesh out a portrait of who you are, what drew you to medicine and why you're a great candidate for a given school. Even if not specifically asked, it is a good idea to work in some reasons as to why you're interested in a particular program - schools like to feel special too :).

I got EVMS's secondary today (screened-and i'm from CA) :)and michigan state's. sooo many essays! i feel like im answering the same questions over and over and over

I got EVMS's secondary today (screened-and i'm from CA) :)and michigan state's. sooo many essays! i feel like im answering the same questions over and over and over

Lucky you. :p Mine don't seem to coincide perfectly at all. I'm racking my brain over how diverse my pool of essays are. Best of luck to you, fellow Californian.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone complete at georgetown yet? I submitted my secondary but it appears they are still waiting for letters that they just haven't processed yet. Is this anyone else's case?

They all seem just different enough to make writing a new essay necessary. *sigh*

what the heck EVMS for giving us essays! :mad:

I *just* submitted mine. I felt that between my personal statement and their 3500 character "talk about a bunch of your activities and experiences and tell us your goals and how you're a good fit for Pritzker," that there really wasn't much left that I felt I needed to add. So, after agonizing about it for a few days, I just gave up and submitted it blank. What will be, will be. After all, I may have bombed the June MCAT, in which case it really won't matter what I said in my Pritzker secondary! Way to be optimistic, I know. But those May 31st score release threads have been eating away at my confidence and sanity.

I *just* submitted mine. I felt that between my personal statement and their 3500 character "talk about a bunch of your activities and experiences and tell us your goals and how you're a good fit for Pritzker," that there really wasn't much left that I felt I needed to add. So, after agonizing about it for a few days, I just gave up and submitted it blank. What will be, will be. After all, I may have bombed the June MCAT, in which case it really won't matter what I said in my Pritzker secondary! Way to be optimistic, I know. But those May 31st score release threads have been eating away at my confidence and sanity.

What is everyone's interpretation of the Pritzker "Fit" essay; How you are good for Pritzker or how Pritzker is good for you (or both)? I'm writing it as a sales pitch for how I meet their mission, but it kind of sucks. Anyone else?

They all seem just different enough to make writing a new essay necessary. *sigh*

Guess I've been a little luckier. I've been able to cut and paste (with minor modifications - generally for length) that "tell us about a stressful/difficult/challenging situation" question. There have been other essays I've been able to reuse as well, but with more modifications.

What is everyone's interpretation of the Pritzker "Fit" essay; How you are good for Pritzker or how Pritzker is good for you (or both)? I'm writing it as a sales pitch for how I meet their mission, but it kind of sucks. Anyone else?

Both. Sounds like you've got the gist of it. And 3500 characters of it is not fun, I agree.

Ok, I know I jumped the gun last time, but UCSD has sent out their an email invitation for their secondary.

Please share the UCSD essay prompt and word limit, if that is the case.

What's up with Cornell's website, "Letters should be sent directly by the writer to the Office of Admissions." I had my writers submit the letters to my school's Career Center, which has a Refletter service, how is everyone else sending LOR's to Cornell?

Also, how do you know if a school will hate you for sending extra letters? i.e. if it will be a disadvantage vs. an advantage for your application?

I had mine sent through my school's letter service too. Hope Cornell doesn't care.

What's up with Cornell's website, "Letters should be sent directly by the writer to the Office of Admissions." I had my writers submit the letters to my school's Career Center, which has a Refletter service, how is everyone else sending LOR's to Cornell?

Also, how do you know if a school will hate you for sending extra letters? i.e. if it will be a disadvantage vs. an advantage for your application?

I think what they mean is that you shouldn't be sending it by your own hands. It should either come from the school's letter service or through something like virtualevals, interfolio, etc. that is official.

Much the same way schools send transcripts officially rather then sending it to you to mail to them.

My friend used interfolio last year when he was applying and they had no problem with it so I'd imagine you all are ok with what Cornell was saying.

yeah... i know some people have touched on this before, but what kind of things do people even submit in the 'additional information' section?
ohh columbia.
i feel like it would help to add something, and i'd love to because i want to show them who i am... but i'm completely boggled as to what to even talk about.

bueller?

yeah... i know some people have touched on this before, but what kind of things do people even submit in the 'additional information' section?
ohh columbia.
i feel like it would help to add something, and i'd love to because i want to show them who i am... but i'm completely boggled as to what to even talk about.

bueller?

Well, here are some ideas for things you could put in there:

1) information on interesting things you're doing this year (if not asked elsewhere in the app);
2) explanation you'd like to give regarding something odd or not so hot in your app and what you've learned from it/how you've grown;
3) some way in which you're an excellent match for that particular med school (if not asked elsewhere in app);
4) anything else you'd like to elaborate on from your PS or experiences that you think fleshes you out more.

*shrug* I usually leave it blank, but sometimes I use it to discuss #3. Good luck brainstorming.

I *just* submitted mine. I felt that between my personal statement and their 3500 character "talk about a bunch of your activities and experiences and tell us your goals and how you're a good fit for Pritzker," that there really wasn't much left that I felt I needed to add. So, after agonizing about it for a few days, I just gave up and submitted it blank. What will be, will be.

I second that. I think I gave them plenty to read after my PS, the 'fit' essay, and personal dilemma rambling.

I just got my secondary from UCSD, so that can be added to the list of e-mail only invites.

I haven't heard anything from:

NYU
U Colorado
UCLA
UCSF
Harvard
Penn

Anyone else have?

I just got my secondary from UCSD, so that can be added to the list of e-mail only invites.

I haven't heard anything from:

NYU
U Colorado
UCLA
UCSF
Harvard
Penn

Anyone else have?

If that's the case, do you have the prompt for the secondary for UCSD? There seems to be a lot of jumpin' the gun with UCSD's AMCAS received e-mail.

I also cannot figure out if this question on boston U's secondary is required:

Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be part of particular interest to us: (2000 character limit, approximately 400 words)

if not required do you think it is bad if we dont put anything for it

I also received the UCSD secondary...didn't receive the AMCAS acknowledgment from them though (i've even been checking the spam mail). Also got an email that their status site was having problems and told to not try accessing it until tomorrow, so no more info to share!

I also cannot figure out if this question on boston U's secondary is required:

Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be part of particular interest to us: (2000 character limit, approximately 400 words)

if not required do you think it is bad if we dont put anything for it

It's a great way to share your elementary school and high school backgrounds. Why is this pertinent to medical school? Well, it tells a lot about your origins. Elementary school and high school are purely based on location whereas undergrad can vary nationally. If you have no experiences or influences related to medicine or your undergrad experiences at those ages, I wouldn't sweat writing about it.

As far as explaining difficulties in your undergrad or current education. That's where those issues can be discussed (ie. poor grades, etc.).

uhh so BU's app says 3 quarters = 2 semesters ratio...well how many semesters is 2 quarters and how about 1 quarter because they dont have choosing decimals as an option

Okay, I have a problem. I filled out and mailed a secondary application to a school who had posted it online for anybody to access. The problem: I somehow MISSED the bullet point on their site that says "Please do not submit the Secondary Application until you have received notification from us via email that your AMCAS application has been received." Crap. I also had my LORs sent out. So are they going to just be like "This girl's a *****" and throw my entire application out? Am I going to have to resubmit it again upon receiving an email invite? I even sent the payment with the application, so now I'm worried about whether they'll cash the check or just toss the entire thing. Thoughts? I know this was a really stupid thing to do, so no need to point that out. I'm just looking for opinions and thoughts on what might/will happen. Oyyyyy.

Which school said not to send it in?

I heard Einstein is pretty chill (my friend goes there). So probably not.

I heard Einstein is pretty chill (my friend goes there). So probably not.

God I hope you're right. I mean, I barely have any chance of getting in there anyway, but I really really want to go to school in NYC. Oy.

SLU secondary arrived this morning. No essay questions. $100 application fee. Photo upload is required.

So I sent in my secondary to MUSC last week (monday) and I had interfolio deliver my lors at the same time. They list on the web site that it was an electronic delivery and they took my money. When I check my status on the schools website it does not show they have arrived. Do you think the school just had not gotten to them yet or that they have not arrived or that they could be lost? does anyone know how this works?:confused:

So I sent in my secondary to MUSC last week (monday) and I had interfolio deliver my lors at the same time. They list on the web site that it was an electronic delivery and they took my money. When I check my status on the schools website it does not show they have arrived. Do you think the school just had not gotten to them yet or that they have not arrived or that they could be lost? does anyone know how this works?:confused:

Call up or e-mail the school asking if they've received them. I'm sure they're used to neurotic premeds. It might just be that they haven't received and processed your secondary, so they couldn't match the LORs to it (or was it electronic... I'm not applying there, so I dunno).

SLU secondary arrived this morning. No essay questions. $100 application fee. Photo upload is required.

There is an additional info essay. In which i am having troubling saving it. Anyone else sharing in the problem?

There is an additional info essay. In which i am having troubling saving it. Anyone else sharing in the problem?

i am having trouble saving the essay as well.

just got pitt today, yay!

how much time do you guys spend writing the secondary essays for each school? i tend to revise and revise and change my mind constantly. is it better to work on it for a long time, or to submit it as soon as possible?

thanks yall!

It's not accurrate to say SLU has no essays.
1. If you are not currently a full time Undergrad, they want to know what you are doing and give you 10,000 characters/~500 words to explain
2. There is an 'optional essay' and we all know that there is ALWAYS SOMETHING you can talk about. Maybe your research or your fondness for dim sum or how your cat's breath smells like cat food.

In addition, SLU's email landed in my 'spam' folder of my gmail account. I have been going through my spam folder daily but am worried I may have missed BU's email.

My question, therefore, is: other people who have or have not received BU's secondary email, do you use gmail? I think I may need to email BU if I don't hear from them soon (assuming I was given a password and log in ID for their site).

My question, therefore, is: other people who have or have not received BU's secondary email, do you use gmail? I think I may need to email BU if I don't hear from them soon (assuming I was given a password and log in ID for their site).

Don't worry I still haven't gotten it yet either.

BU is sending them out in batches. so don't worry just yet if you haven't received yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.