Official 2008 Secondary Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Foxit reader, so I typed everything in except my signature.

EDIT: You can download it here: http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php. You can type into the fields, but if you save it, they put a text box in the corner that says you edited it with their software. It's just a textbox, so you can delete it when you open it back up, but I'd personally just hand-fill it out (maybe not for AECOM, but maybe some of the longer ones), then go through and transfer all the answers when you finish it, then print it off right away.

If you go to adobe.com and sign up as a member, you can download a trial (30 day) version of acrobat 8.0 professional. It allows you to type straight onto a PDF and SAVE it so you can alter it later :)

For those of you who submitted secondaries before your AMCAS was verified:

If the form asked for your GPA/BCPM, did you calculate yours using the AMCAS formula or use the one from your transcript (Columbia has a question like this)? Or should I wait until my AMCAS is verified (hopefully soon sine its been under review for over a week) to enter the exact GPA they give? I really want to submit the secondary but I want to be accurate.

Any advice? :confused: Thanks

I waited until my AMCAS was verified.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, this is really embarassing, but...the Columbia secondary has a special feature that if you leave a required field blank, you can't submitt, so that you don't miss anything. One question asks you to list any collegiate honors, awards, or honor societies you belonged to. I tried to leave it blank, because i'm a loser and don't have any and clearly shouldn't be applying to columbia. it's like an idiot filter sorry you don't have awards, can't apply here! i could probably just write the word "none" but i can't bring myself to do it. It's not like I don't deserve to go to medical school, but i went to a really competitive school where there weren't a lot of awards given out and a 3.69 departmental gpa wasn't even enough to get honors in my department! what do i do?

Just put in a space for that box, it will register as an answer.

When it asks to list the courses that are required to apply to their med school, it also asks for the course Number. What is the course number? So far I've seen it for GW and Dartmouth.

Not sure if anyone has answered, or if you've figured it out yet...

at my school, for example, i would have: Life Sci 1, Hist 4, Chem 14A, as course #'s.

i would go to the AMCAS primary application printout, and follow exactly the column "Course No." in specifying your courses to those schools. that's what they use as a reference anyway, so might as well make it easier for them. :luck:

whats up with the pre req part on BU's secondary...its the most confusing thing ever...especially if you go to a quarter school

:eek:How long after verification did you guys receive Buffalo? Why has Buffalo become an obsession for me :confused::scared:

So, this is really embarassing, but...the Columbia secondary has a special feature that if you leave a required field blank, you can't submitt, so that you don't miss anything. One question asks you to list any collegiate honors, awards, or honor societies you belonged to. I tried to leave it blank, because i'm a loser and don't have any and clearly shouldn't be applying to columbia. it's like an idiot filter sorry you don't have awards, can't apply here! i could probably just write the word "none" but i can't bring myself to do it. It's not like I don't deserve to go to medical school, but i went to a really competitive school where there weren't a lot of awards given out and a 3.69 departmental gpa wasn't even enough to get honors in my department! what do i do?

"N/A" will suffice

Just got VCU's invite. :)

I posted this in the stickied thread but I don't know if anyone reads that... I got the secondary from UT-Memphis today as an attachment to the email. It had the basic citizenship questions, plus it said you could attach "additional comments" not covered in the PS if you wanted to. Very vague, I don't know if I should do it... Anyway, that looked to be it for essays.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so AECOM asks us to dicuss why you took off a year. I just kept it brief. 3 sentences. It says detailed answer that includes dates. Should I be writing more? I didnt feel like I could really discuss. I just stated the facts.

Then they ask to list schools I previously applied. When they say year. Do they mean the year I applied which would be 2006 or the year of the entering class for which I applied and that would be 2007.

You will not hear from Temple University School of Medicine regarding your application until July 16th.

The Rush Medical College
Online Supplemental Application System for 2008
Is Currently CLOSED
2008 Application Forms will be available by July 31, 2008

just for those wondering when secondaries for those schools will be out

if you don't have a premed committee at your school do you have to list your lor writers on the Albert Einstein app?

does cornell, columbia, aecom screen? my amcas hasn't been verified yet, but i'm anxious to hear from cornell...

thanks, sorry if it's a repeat

You should get the invite for the Columbia secondary even before verification...I did, and it seems that a number of others did as well.

does cornell, columbia, aecom screen? my amcas hasn't been verified yet, but i'm anxious to hear from cornell...

thanks, sorry if it's a repeat

I don't know about Columbia (I don't think so), but I'm pretty sure Cornell does not, and AECOM doesn't either. They just wait until they receive your verified application.

Ok so AECOM asks us to dicuss why you took off a year. I just kept it brief. 3 sentences. It says detailed answer that includes dates. Should I be writing more? I didnt feel like I could really discuss. I just stated the facts.

Then they ask to list schools I previously applied. When they say year. Do they mean the year I applied which would be 2006 or the year of the entering class for which I applied and that would be 2007.

My year off was pretty brief also maybe 4 or 5 sentences.. I worded it for the previously applied schools so i said for the 2007 application cycle or something to that extent.. if that makes sense.. i'm not sure if it is right just what i did... hope that helps

Has SLU fixed their glitch with entering new info for the secondary yet?

sorry for the delay--ucsd's secondary is pretty much what their website says it is. the main essay part says:
This should be a true autobiographical statement. Topics to be included are family, childhood, primary and secondary school years, early adult years, and future career goals in medicine. You should also discuss the motivational factors which led you to a career in medicine including any disadvantages or obstacles which might put your accomplishments into context. A repeat of your AMCAS statement will not be acceptable.
Limit the autobiographical sketch to two pages only and use a font size that is easily readable.

For those who got UCSD's secondary... are you guys Californians? I am still waiting to hear from all the UC's.

Thanks for posting the prompt.

For those who got UCSD's secondary... are you guys Californians? I am still waiting to hear from all the UC's.

I still haven't received any UC secondaries either. UCSD received my application on June 25. So maybe in a couple of days.

yes, I am (shout out to the people in CALI-calleyy hah)...but I still have set myself up for the majority of UC's not sending secondaries until september at the earliest. definitely don't fret (if you are)

Received University of Arizona secondary in the mail today. No essays just a criminal disclosure, letter writers, check and domicile affidavit required.

SLU's site is now error-free (at least I was finally able to submit).

Yup, I haven't gotten it yet. But I'm not stressing about it. I figure it'll come when it comes, since I don't believe they screen.

They don't screen. Last year they were sent in batches from what I remember. So hopefully we are in the next batch :luck:

Got VCU's e-mail secondary yesterday.

1. Please share with us your thoughts on specialties and how you plan to choose yours (limit of 250 words).

2. The admissions committee requests that you write another essay that provides us with some insight into you as a person. The content should NOT repeat anything that we can learn from the AMCAS essay. However, other than that you may discuss any topic you choose. The essay has a limited length, so be certain that you know your material will fit in the allotted space (approximately 500-600 words).

3. Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education

MD/PhD Supplemental Question: Please list any publications which may have resulted from your research experiences

In the e-mail they inform you that you have 45 days to complete your file, or they drop your app. That means all LOR must be received. My Pre-med committee interview isn't for another 20 days and it takes them 21-28 days to write the letter and VCU needs 7-10 days to process it when they arrive... ouch.:scared:
I'm going to contact them and ask about extensions. I'll let everyone know what I hear in case anyone else is in my boat.

Oddly, I got an email from GW today saying that my application is now complete and will be reviewed. Eh? My MCAT score doesn't come out for another week. I guess when they see that, my app will go into a hold file or something. *shrug* Oh, and I submitted my secondary on 6/25.

Got VCU's e-mail secondary yesterday.

1. Please share with us your thoughts on specialties and how you plan to choose yours (limit of 250 words).

2. The admissions committee requests that you write another essay that provides us with some insight into you as a person. The content should NOT repeat anything that we can learn from the AMCAS essay. However, other than that you may discuss any topic you choose. The essay has a limited length, so be certain that you know your material will fit in the allotted space (approximately 500-600 words).

3. Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education

MD/PhD Supplemental Question: Please list any publications which may have resulted from your research experiences

In the e-mail they inform you that you have 45 days to complete your file, or they drop your app. That means all LOR must be received. My Pre-med committee interview isn't for another 20 days and it takes them 21-28 days to write the letter and VCU needs 7-10 days to process it when they arrive... ouch.:scared:
I'm going to contact them and ask about extensions. I'll let everyone know what I hear in case anyone else is in my boat.

The very nice woman in the admissions office at VCU (they are very nice) informed me that one can request an extension as the deadline approaches. Phew...

i got an email from USF asking me to email them ASAP to ask for a secondary application.
Thank you for your application to the University Of South Florida College Of Medicine’s M.D. Program. While the majority of our matriculating class will be residents of the state of Florida (since we are a state-supported school), highly qualified non-Florida residents are encouraged to apply.

If you meet our minimum GPA (BCPM, TOTAL)/MCAT requirements (3.0, 3.0/24), simply request the Secondary Application Link via email reply to this message. (If you do not meet both our minimum GPA/MCAT requirements, and you are very strong in one category and barely miss the minimum in the other category you may request a Secondary Link.) Be sure to give your name or AMCAS ID number with the request. We will provide you with the link via email ASAP. Note that all application materials must be received in our office no later than January 15, 2008. Similarly, updated AMCAS information (e.g. MCAT scores) that is to be forwarded to our Medical Student Selection Committee must be into AMCAS by February 28, 2008. Early Decision deadline is August 15, 2007.

In the meantime, it is critical that qualified applicants continue to work within the AMCAS System to complete their applications. Please know that AMCAS must verify your AMCAS file before we can make any final decisions regarding your status. After your file has been verified you should continue to keep your contact information up-to-date in AMCAS so that schools can contact you.

If you DO NOT meet our minimum requirements, we request that you withdraw your initial application. We encourage you to re-apply to our program next year if you meet the eligibility requirements.

We look forward to working with you in the medical school admissions process and suggest you visit our Admissions Web Site for additional information. The site is located at: www.hsc.usf.edu/medicine/mdadmissions/applicant_requirements.html

does anyone remember if URochester asked for names of LOR writers... I already submitted it and I cant remember which names I Put down if i did.

ETSU just emailed me an invite for their secondary. Three essays, 2250 characters each:

4.* What characteristics or abilities do you possess that you believe will most contribute to your success as a physician?

5.* As the profession of medicine demands physical, intellectual, and emotional commitment, what have you done in your life to demonstrate dedication to the achievement of a life objective?

6.* QCOM is recognized as a leader in primary health care education and some of our students choose QCOM for that reason. Other than that as a motivation, what is your rationale for applying to QCOM?

I'm drawing blanks on how to answer that second question...

Got VCU yesterday, and just got EVMS....

Did all those who applied to UCSD get a secondary yesterday? I am still waiting for mine.

Anyone receive U Penn yet?

Their website says that it should be emailed to us this week.

For the people who have received VCU- are you all in-state?

I also received the email from GW that my application was complete despite not having MCAT scores yet. I'm assuming that "complete" means they have your secondary, payment, and LOR.

I got Penn. I gave it a REALLY quick glance, and it seemed like they asked for names of recommenders, asked you to check off which three activities you listed on AMCAS have been most important to you, and to list what you will be doing over the next year if you will not be in school. Also asked about parental penn affiliations and sibling ages. There might be more that I missed, but I don't think so...

I got Penn. I gave it a REALLY quick glance, and it seemed like they asked for names of recommenders, asked you to check off which three activities you listed on AMCAS have been most important to you, and to list what you will be doing over the next year if you will not be in school. Also asked about parental penn affiliations and sibling ages. There might be more that I missed, but I don't think so...

When did you receive it?

Is anyone else having trouble logging into the Wake Forest applicant website? Do they screen secondaries?

How long after you submitted your amcas and they got your transcripts was it reviewed/verified. It has been quite a while that my status has said "ready for review", and I think i've gotten all of the secondaries that i'm going to get before verification... it's stressing me out and i don't know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.