Official 2015-2016 Pulm/CCM Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess a follow up to this question/answer.

Is it better to apply then anyway right when the application opens tomorrow without LORs or submit all together? Just wasn't sure if it was like first come first serve almost (how residency felt like)

Most programs won't even download until the beginning of August. I think I'd submit all at once but I'm not convinced it really matters that much except to say if they go to download they are going to pull whoever has their application complete and if it turns out they get all the invites they are looking for in that first batch they might be done or done for awhile.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what time exactly myeras opens for verification and submission tomorrow? Midnight? 7AM? 3PM?

Members don't see this ad :)
How can you read your letter of recommendations? is there any trick to that? should you ask people to show you your letter?

How can you read your letter of recommendations? is there any trick to that? should you ask people to show you your letter?
Well, you could not waive your right to see them. (Don't do this. Makes the letters completely worthless).

Otherwise, your writers could volunteer to let you see them. I wouldn't ask them for that though.

No "tricks" there. I suppose someone with access to your file (interviewers, PD at your home program, whatever) could choose to share parts of them with you as well, but still not a trick.

Do all programs require the MSPE and medical school transcript or just certain programs? If so, do I check individual program's website to find out?

What is the best timing for a supportive phone call from someone within your program to call a program you are very interested in?

Obviously at the end of interview season but pre-match there would be a time to have someone contact your favorite place on your behalf to try to influence rank lists. But, I have one place in particular I really want to be at, but it is admittedly a reach and I may not get even an invite with or without a call. Should this call occur ASAP or a little further into the season?

What is the best timing for a supportive phone call from someone within your program to call a program you are very interested in?

Obviously at the end of interview season but pre-match there would be a time to have someone contact your favorite place on your behalf to try to influence rank lists. But, I have one place in particular I really want to be at, but it is admittedly a reach and I may not get even an invite with or without a call. Should this call occur ASAP or a little further into the season?

What's the relationship?

Just got my first invite:

University of Cincinnati (7/15)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah... I was pretty shocked, but I won't complain! :)

Curious, are there any indications on your ERAS application that programs (especially Univ of Cincinnati) have downloaded your application? Looks like this year, ERAS removed the feature where you can see whether programs have downloaded your application.

Curious, are there any indications on your ERAS application that programs (especially Univ of Cincinnati) have downloaded your application? Looks like this year, ERAS removed the feature where you can see whether programs have downloaded your application.
Nope. I already checked and Cincinnati looks the same as every other program. While that's a little disappointing, it also takes away one anxiety trigger, I guess! ;)

Time for the mandatory Invite - Rejection Thread already then.

Interviews

Rejections
None

Reactions: 1 user
You can apply as soon as the first day that programs can download applications. Letters do not have to be uploaded to apply to any program, but most programs simply will not download your application unless you have the requested number of letters of recommendation there.
Thanks for the info; how much does it hurt if you don't apply right away. What would be considered a reasonable time to wait to gather things.

I have 2 years of academic hospitalist experience, not much published in pulm/cc. although i have published abstracts from residency on projects related to radiology/GI. however I am working on a ICU project now, will be submitting IRB soon and as well have QI projects as hospitalist underway but still nothing completed. my focus is going to be ICU and would like continue some clinical research.
First question is how competitive I can be and second if anyone can suggest clinical programs in the northeast willing to take me seriously. esp NJ/Philly/CT

Thanks for the info; how much does it hurt if you don't apply right away. What would be considered a reasonable time to wait to gather things.

I'd make sure your stuff is in by beginning of August. The first week or so. September is going to be pretty late I think. You might miss out.

I have 2 years of academic hospitalist experience, not much published in pulm/cc. although i have published abstracts from residency on projects related to radiology/GI. however I am working on a ICU project now, will be submitting IRB soon and as well have QI projects as hospitalist underway but still nothing completed. my focus is going to be ICU and would like continue some clinical research.
First question is how competitive I can be and second if anyone can suggest clinical programs in the northeast willing to take me seriously. esp NJ/Philly/CT

Basically anything in those spots that ISN'T UPenn

Consider tufts, umass, brown, and if you are a miserable enough bastard to work in nyc then anything that isn't Colombia or Cornell.

Seems like another quiet morning in this forum. Where are all the lurkers?

How many programs did you guys apply to? Any one get any confirmation about receipt of application from anywhere?

I need to find some work to do!

How many programs did you guys apply to? Any one get any confirmation about receipt of application from anywhere?

Lurking quietly and saving lives here. :)

I applied to 40 - complete lack of self confidence cost me a lot in ERAS fees. No confirmation of receipt except for the interview invite.

In the MICU actually, saving lives.
New to SDN; read the last 3 pages, very helpful stuff!
Applying to 25. Couples matching.
Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
There you are saving lives, while I clean up the mess created by the surgeons and orthpods on my medical consultation rotation!

Reactions: 1 users
Applied to 13, having palpitations about whether I should apply to more.

Have any of you looked at the "track documents" feature on your applied programs list? It says that my MSPE is not viewable until the Oct 1st release (i.e. a la residency application). Is anyone else noticing the same thing?

Have any of you looked at the "track documents" feature on your applied programs list? It says that my MSPE is not viewable until the Oct 1st release (i.e. a la residency application). Is anyone else noticing the same thing?
Yep mine says that too.

Want to tell us which 13? Or PM me if you like.

I'd apply to 14 just so it wasn't 13. I never believed in karma until residency.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone else also in 3rd year of their residency getting invitations and calls from physician recruitment agencies, confusing and raising your hopes for a fellowship interview each time they send an email and make a call?

Hello Everybody, thank you for taking the time of sharing your experience here and helping people I have been reading this forums for a while. I am an IMG with H1b Visa applying to 40 programs that sponsor my type of visa, but most of them are big programs MGH, Brown, cincinatti, Yale, most NE programs, etc. I don't think I have good odds, but will see how it goes. When is a good time to freak out in regards to not getting interviews?

Hello Everybody, thank you for taking the time of sharing your experience here and helping people I have been reading this forums for a while. I am an IMG with H1b Visa applying to 40 programs that sponsor my type of visa, but most of them are big programs MGH, Brown, cincinatti, Yale, most NE programs, etc. I don't think I have good odds, but will see how it goes. When is a good time to freak out in regards to not getting interviews?

If you've not heard from anyone by mid september, you can freak.

For some questions up there:

Yale - if you wanna do research they have a very SOLID program that will support you/lots of resources at your disposal. The patient population is very diverse/large between Yale New Haven Hospital and the West Haven VA but fellows don't do any nights in the ICU, not a whole lot of procedures. Like most of New England, fellows don't tube their own patients. They seemed to have invited a mixed crowd last year - Ivies, state unis, other academic programs.

Why I think they didn't match last year - #1 interview day sucked! like 8 15-20 min interviews in a day #2 not a lot of people want to live in/around New Haven #3 no/fledgling transplant #4 not procedurally robust #5 don't invite IMGs/people from neighboring residency programs needing visas who might have awesome CVs and would want to stay in the region #5 probably ranked too few

UC Davis - pretty strong clinically but IMHO, in Cali programs UCLA and UCSD take the cake for being balanced/robust programs. USC will make you a pro clinically but follows the 'whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger' motto.

OHSU has taken prematches into their straight CC spots last year.

Basically anything in those spots that ISN'T UPenn

Consider tufts, umass, brown, and if you are a miserable enough bastard to work in nyc then anything that isn't Colombia or Cornell.
Uni of Rochester is a VERY solid clinical program, as is UMass. Rochester actually does a fair bit of research too. As far as I remember, both don't do Tx but are probably the strongest programs procedurally in the region.
UConn is clinically strong, you'll do a lot of bronchs, new IP guy apparently all set to train fellows, no IP fellowship, usually fills internally. No transplant. Mostly learn-on-the-job kinda place.

Uni of Rochester is a VERY solid clinical program, as is UMass. Rochester actually does a fair bit of research too. As far as I remember, both don't do Tx but are probably the strongest programs procedurally in the region.
UConn is clinically strong, you'll do a lot of bronchs, new IP guy apparently all set to train fellows, no IP fellowship, usually fills internally. No transplant. Mostly learn-on-the-job kinda place.

Good point about Rochester. Sometimes forget it's up there.

Hey, whats the deal with PTAL letter? Form previous years blog, I read that its ok to get PTAL after you match in CA? is that right? any one out there [or someone's friend] who did this? who actually match first in CA , than started working on PTAL letter?

got an interview invite from Univ of Maryland today!

Hey, whats the deal with PTAL letter? Form previous years blog, I read that its ok to get PTAL after you match in CA? is that right? any one out there [or someone's friend] who did this? who actually match first in CA , than started working on PTAL letter?
Look at it like this. Yes, you can apply to programs without the PTAL, just like you could apply to residency programs (as an IMG) without Step 2 completed. There's no rule against it. But if you were a program, why would you bother with people who you weren't certain could start in July when you matched them?

If I were a PD of even a modestly competitive program in CA, I would immediately pass over applications of IMGs without a PTAL Maybe I'd check out your app on my 3rd or 4th pass, when trying to fill those last few interview spots.

Updated List

Interviews
University of Maryland (7/16)
Wash U (St Louis) (7/17)

Rejections
None

Hey guys
folks, who already received interview, do you mind sharing your credentials / publications here on this forum, so that rest can have some idea.

Thanks

Hey guys
folks, who already received interview, do you mind sharing your credentials / publications here on this forum, so that rest can have some idea.

Thanks
Edited out

Last edited:
Hey guys

Thanks

People who have already received invites are likely known entities of one stripe or another at these programs.

Don't expect invites early from programs that don't know you.

US Grad - Med-Peds resident at different program that UCincy (and not from Ohio, no ties to program). Not a chief and not well known (at least not for anything good). Strong USMLE scores, probably decent LORs (but none that have known for more than ~2 weeks). No real research, but oral presentation before med school and some soft educational research during med school, and nothing in residency except for hobbies. I like my personal statement, though! :) I have no CLUE why I got an early invite, but I'm not complaining!

I will not be able to apply for PCCM fellowship till next week. Can any one please tell me, would that be considered late?

I haven't gotten any interview invites yet. It's been 2 days, so I assume all hope is lost. I will be signing up for one of these amazing primary care jobs that I've been getting emails about for over a year. Primary care in Eastern Montana sounds pretty good, right??? LOL

Reactions: 3 users
Yes! They are ready to pay me Three hundred thousand with potential for growth! I just need to contact them with my CV now!!

Thank you jdh71 for your reply, So if I want to rank these program, will it be:
1- Wash U
2- SLU
3- U of Missouri Kansas City
4- Kansas U
5- U of Missouri Columbia

What do you think?

WashU should be a clear number one, it has everything you'd want from ECMO exposure, IP, prestige, and a robust lung transplant program. In my mind its easily a top 10 program. However the city is less than ideal.

UMKC needs to be lower than KU on your list. It's ICU experience is complete ****. At their county hospital they rarely see anything more than DKA or COPD and have very few procedures. Their unit I believe is only 10 beds. Also at their larger hospital St. Lukes its an open ICU. Had a friend who did a prelim year there, and one of their 3rd year fellows put a intubated COPD patient on I:E ratio of 2:1 for hypoxia, needless to say he was auto peeping.

KU should probably be above SLU, neither of them have lung transplant but KU has more support from a mentor standpoint in their program which would make doing research easier. Also I felt that they had a more pragmatic way of thinking than SLU.

I don't know anything about mizzou's program