Official 2017-2018 Help Me Rank Megathread [Internal Medicine]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redpancreas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's get it started!

Previous years:
2016: Official 2016-2017 Help Me Rank Megathread
2015: Official 2015-2016 Help Me Rank Megathread
2014: Official 2014-2015 "Please help me rank these IM Programs" Megathread
2013: Official 2013-2014 Help Me Rank Megathread

Rules:

1. To minimize clutter, like posts if you think the original order is fine.
2. If you want substantial advice or want @gutonc to reply to you, give us an idea of why you ranked programs as you did.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can we at least wait until I eat all of my mom's holiday baking?

Members don't see this ad :)
I need help ranking my programs. I am mostly interested in primary care.
  1. Yale Primary Care Track
  2. Jacobi Primary Care Track
  3. Lenox Primary Care Track
  4. Lenox Categorical Track
  5. Rutgers RWJ Categorical Track
  6. Mt. Sinai SLR
  7. NYU Community Health Track in Brooklyn
thanks.

HELP MEEE: What's the likelihood of matching outside of top 8? Trying to decide if i should go to my next interview, which would prob be my 7th/8th choice.
AMG // 244/253 // 20th-40th percentile class rank // no red flags

1. USC
2. UIC
3. Medical College of Wisconsin
4. Indiana
5. Wisconsin
6. Saint Louis University
7. Loyola
8. Louisville
9. Mizzou
10. Stroger Cook County
11. St. Vincent (indianapolis)
12. Wright State

Reactions: 1 user
HELP MEEE: What's the likelihood of matching outside of top 8? Trying to decide if i should go to my next interview, which would prob be my 7th/8th choice.

1. USC
2. UIC
4. Indiana
5. Wisconsin
7. Loyola
8. Louisville
9. Mizzou
10. Stroger Cook County
12. Wright State

Disclaimer: Fellow Applicant.
I have a similar list in terms of quality with slightly higher scores but a lower class rank. I would actually rank them as below. Have you seen Wisconsin’s match list? That being said if you have a desire to live on the west coast, USC is a clear #1 and giving your list a second look, it looks like you have a heavy location bias but confused about MCW over Indy/Chicago then. Curious to hear your priorities.

1. Wisconsin
2. USC
3. Indiana
4. UIC
5. Loyola
6. MCW
7. Louisville
Others...

I don’t see you dropping outside of your top 6-7 which is where I see a bit of a step off. Thanks for posting this rank list because it’s the tier I’m in too. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Disclaimer: Fellow Applicant.
I have a similar list in terms of quality with slightly higher scores but a lower class rank. I would actually rank them as below. Have you seen Wisconsin’s match list? That being said if you have a desire to live on the west coast, USC is a clear #1 and giving your list a second look, it looks like you have a heavy location bias but confused about MCW over Indy/Chicago then. Curious to hear your priorities.

1. Wisconsin
2. USC
3. Indiana
4. UIC
5. Loyola
6. MCW
7. Louisville
Others...

I don’t see you dropping outside of your top 6-7 which is where I see a bit of a step off. Thanks for posting this rank list because it’s the tier I’m in too. Best of luck!
thanks, Synchronize. Fellowship match rates didn't factor into my list too much because they all seemed similar enough and I'm not even sure I want to do fellowship; I went almost entirely on vibe, location, and a little bit on call schedule/clinic schedule.

Do you know of any data that shows how far down IM applicants typically match on their rank lists?

thanks, Synchronize. Fellowship match rates didn't factor into my list too much because they all seemed similar enough and I'm not even sure I want to do fellowship; I went almost entirely on vibe, location, and a little bit on call schedule/clinic schedule.

Do you know of any data that shows how far down IM applicants typically match on their rank lists?

I think the data’s pretty readily available and off the top of my head, I think 85% match their top 3 but I don’t wanna get into too much of it here in the ranking thread. I believe NRMP is pretty transparent with this information and you can find it somewhere in their data sheets.

Goals:
1.) Very strong clinical training that will provide good resident autonomy and a diverse patient population with both the bread and butter, as well as the rarer cases.
2.) If possible, good opportunities for research
3.) Competitive fellowship

ROL now: (My interviews for my top 5 didn't go well, unfortunately. I'm a lousy interviewee, and just hoping to match somewhere.)
1.) UVA
2.) Mayo Rochester
3.) UAB
4.) Boston U
5.) Case UH
6.) UCSD
7.) OSU
8.) UIC
9.) Utah
10.) U Florida
11.) U Minn
12.) U Iowa
13.) MUSC
14.) Toledo
15.) Rush
16.) CCF
17.) VCU
18.) VTC

Last edited:
Goals:
1.) Very strong clinical training that will provide good resident autonomy and a diverse patient population with both the bread and butter, as well as the rarer cases.
2.) If possible, good opportunities for research
3.) Competitive fellowship

ROL now: (My interviews for my top 5 didn't go well, unfortunately. I'm a lousy interviewee, and just hoping to match somewhere.)

1.) UVA
2.) Mayo Rochester
3.) UAB
4.) Boston U
5.) Case UH
6.) UCSD
7.) OSU
8.) UIC
9.) Utah
10.) U Florida
11.) U Minn
12.) U Iowa
13.) MUSC
14.) Toledo
15.) Rush
16.) CCF
17.) VCU
18.) VTC

Outstanding list. If you're lousy I'm a dirt pile with my top choices being mainly in after your #9 with an exception. Interestingly enough, our scores were not far apart but I expect you must have honored for things and had a much higher class rank. I'll give my impressions (as a fellow applicant) and in return ask a few questions.

Impressions: Looks like you don't really care about location or else Rush and UCSD would be higher on your list. Looks like Mayo's up so high because of fellowship prospects. Have your written an LOI to Michigan? I've heard anecdotal evidence of people in your tier (based on the IVs you're pulling) having success when they've had their PD call and advocate on their behalf. This process only happens once. Don't be shy! I think Case UH should be up higher but I could be biased and all metrics say your top 5 are ranked appropriately more of less. Thanks for putting CCF in your match list so I can understand where exactly it fits in the grand scheme of things. I think Toledo is higher than it should be and belongs near the bottom purely for reputation purposes which you've stated is important to you. If you're going to hold a grudge against CCF fine, but Rush is not that weak and I'd imagine VCU is a quality program based on previous threads of people matching with good stats.

EDIT: Transferred questions to your inbox. Would love it if you could answer. Thanks! Also didn't read carefully enough to see you meant lousy interviewee

I know you may be disappointed but I think this is a great list and totally outclasses mine. You may never have a Big 4 Residency on your CV but great fellowship opportunities are still within reach in every field and you should be proud and best of luck to you :)

Last edited:
I need help ranking my programs. I am mostly interested in primary care.
  1. Yale Primary Care Track
  2. Jacobi Primary Care Track
  3. Lenox Primary Care Track
  4. Lenox Categorical Track
  5. Rutgers RWJ Categorical Track
  6. Mt. Sinai SLR
  7. NYU Community Health Track in Brooklyn
thanks.

If you're set on PC this should be fairly straight forward, no?
My opinion being a fellow applicant relatively new to the pecking order in academic medicine with limited experience on the east coast.

1. Yale- PC track
2. NYU-PC track (im guessing that since they felt the need to spam their entire applicant pool about this, it's not as competitive as Yale lol).
3. Mt. Sinai SLR
4. Jacobi PC
5. Lenox PC
6. RWJ Cat
7. Lenox Cat

Only place we have in common is RWJ. I personally loved it. Its a relatively protected environment with lots of time for research and self-studying, but many see that as cush so you have to judge what you value.

Last edited:
Outstanding list. If you're lousy I'm a dirt pile with my top choices being mainly in after your #9 with an exception. Interestingly enough, our scores were not far apart but I expect you must have honored for things and had a much higher class rank. I'll give my impressions (as a fellow applicant) and in return ask a few questions.

Impressions: Looks like you don't really care about location or else Rush and UCSD would be higher on your list. Looks like Mayo's up so high because of fellowship prospects. Have your written an LOI to Michigan? I've heard anecdotal evidence of people in your tier (based on the IVs you're pulling) having success when they've had their PD call and advocate on their behalf. This process only happens once. Don't be shy! I think Case UH should be up higher but I could be biased and all metrics say your top 5 are ranked appropriately more of less. Thanks for putting CCF in your match list so I can understand where exactly it fits in the grand scheme of things. I think Toledo is higher than it should be and belongs near the bottom purely for reputation purposes which you've stated is important to you. If you're going to hold a grudge against CCF fine, but Rush is not that weak and I'd imagine VCU is a quality program based on previous threads of people matching with good stats.

EDIT: Transferred questions to your inbox. Would love it if you could answer. Thanks!

I know you may be disappointed but I think this is a great list and totally outclasses mine. You should be proud and best of luck to you :)

Thanks for the response!
I've tried an LOI and phone call to Michigan, and got no response, so I figure that's a lost cause. I'm very lucky with what I have, and if I match anywhere, I'll be happy, to be honest. I haven't really interviewed at a place I wouldn't be happy working at.

Members don't see this ad :)
@SilverCat

Did you actually go to 18 interviews?
Yep. I'm a lousy interviewee, and know that I'll be lucky to match at all with my social awkwardness, which is why I went on so many interviews.

Yep. I'm a lousy interviewee, and know that I'll be lucky to match at all with my social awkwardness, which is why I went on so many interviews.
I see. Most of my interviews are in January, but the few ones I already attended were pretty informal. So I am not sure where one's social awkwardness will pop up...

I see. Most of my interviews are in January, but the few ones I already attended were pretty informal. So I am not sure where one's social awkwardness will pop up...

I hardly see any interviewing experience being super pressured to reveal any awkwardness. They are all asking questions to make you feel good about yourself and have your academic record in front of you, they want you, not the opposite. Also, for someone looking to do ID, I don't think mainstream charisma's that important.

I hardly see any interviewing experience being super pressured to reveal any awkwardness. They are all asking questions to make you feel good about yourself and have your academic record in front of you, they want you, not the opposite. Also, for someone looking to do ID, I don't think mainstream charisma's that important.

I haven't felt pressured during my interviews, I just tend to say stupid things. For example, I don't have any leadership experience, and when asked, I gave the best answer I could, but my interviewer was clearly not impressed. I also might have emphasized my interest in bench research too much, especially with a lack of pubs, especially at programs that aren't as research-heavy. I had little to say during pre-interview dinners, and just asked questions, whereas other applicants, I felt, could carry a conversation better than I.

I interviewed at 13 med schools, and was rejected/ waitlisted at all, if that's any indication of how poorly I interview.

1. USC
2. UIC
4. Indiana
5. Wisconsin
7. Loyola
8. Louisville
9. Mizzou
10. Stroger Cook County
12. Wright State
If Wisco is not your top choice out of this list, you're doing it wrong.

But you don't need to go on any more interviews from a numbers perspective.

Hey all, I would greatly appreciate any input on this rank list.

What I care about in a program:
1) strong reputation for a cardiology fellowship placement
2) values residents as more than 'cheap labor' and treats us well with a good work-life balance
3) you can ignore location in making the rank list (I know it's important, but opinions are too variable on this)

ROL:

-Mount Sinai
-Montefiore
-Lenox Hill
-UIC
-OHSU
-Stony Brook
-VCU
-EVMS
-Mt. Sinai - SLR
-Einstein Philly
-SUNY Downstate
-Mt Sinai - Beth Israel
-Jacobi
-Winthrop
-Waterbury Yale
-Baystate
-Albany
-Mt. Auburn
-Norwalk Yale
-Bridgeport Yale
-Maimonides

Hey guys,
In need of some assistance with my list. My goal is cards after residency as well as work-life balance and living somewhere without snow
Right now my top 2 are UT Houston or Houston Methodist (trouble deciding which to rank first)
The rest are in no particular order:
UFlorida (gainesville)
UArizona
UNew Mexico
UT San Antonio
Scripps Green
CCF
ULouisville
Henry Ford
Beaumont
Albert Einstein
Drexel

Thanks!

Hey guys so I've got a general sense for my list already but just curious if I'm making any mistakes as far as my opinion goes. IMG.
So list isn't as impressive as the others but what I'm looking for is mainly fellowship placement/opportunities. Then just non malignant. Beggars can't be choosers I guess.
My top two are in a constant battle.

1) CCF
1) VCU
3) UF Jax
4) Lehigh Valley
5) Rutgers Newark
6) ECU
7) UCF
8) UoT Chattanooga
9) FAU
10) FL Hospital
11) U Southern Alabama
12) Memorial Hospital
13) KU Wichita
14) St Peters (New Brunswick)

2) values residents as more than 'cheap labor' and treats us well with a good work-life balance
3) you can ignore location in making the rank list (I know it's important, but opinions are too variable on this)

ROL:

-Mount Sinai
-Montefiore
-Lenox Hill
-UIC
-OHSU
-Stony Brook
-VCU
-EVMS
-Mt. Sinai - SLR
-Einstein Philly
-SUNY Downstate
-Mt Sinai - Beth Israel
-Jacobi
-Winthrop
-Waterbury Yale
-Baystate
-Albany
-Mt. Auburn
-Norwalk Yale
-Bridgeport Yale
-Maimonides

Your list is a mix of solid academic programs to pretty weak community programs. Unclear how you managed to have such a spread but in any event;

As far as the university programs;

Mt Sinai
OHSU
Monte
UIC
VCU
Downstate
Stony brook
Albany
(Not sure about Evms but probably towards the bottom of the academic programs list)

Community programs;

Jacobi
Einstein philly
SLR

The rest

Interested in gi or heme/onc. Need help with sorting these 3. Dartmouth, UIC, and RWJ. Location of Dartmouth was a bit of turn off for me.

Looking for a university program with in house fellowships. As of now with 9/12 interviews done my list is as follows, what do you all think?

1. UK
  2. Maine Med
  3. UT Knoxville
  4. Mcg Augusta
  5. Memphis
  6. South Carolina palmetto
  7. Virginia tech
  8. UT Nashville
  9. South Carolina Greenville
  10. Marshall
  11. UT Chattanooga
  12. ETSU

Looking for a university program with in house fellowships. As of now with 9/12 interviews done my list is as follows, what do you all think?

1. UK
  2. Maine Med
  3. UT Knoxville
  4. Mcg Augusta
  5. Memphis
  6. South Carolina palmetto
  7. Virginia tech
  8. UT Nashville
  9. South Carolina Greenville
  10. Marshall
  11. UT Chattanooga
  12. ETSU

You’ve provided no info to us besides in house fellowships which you can look up...:confused:

You’ve provided no info to us besides in house fellowships which you can look up...:confused:
Ok, so I want pulm/cc, would prefer to stay at same residency through fellowship, looking for good work/lifestyle balance, not sure what else to include, really just looking for other people’s input who may have interviewed at these places.

Can someone comment on these northeast programs? Go to school in NY and would like to ideally stay in NY if not NJ. I am looking on going into cardiology but also open to be a hospitalist. Really value work life balance and resident happiness.

Current rankings so far:
Northwell Long Island (Northshore LIJ)
Stony Brook
Rutgers NJMS
Rutgers RWJ
Lenox Hill
SUNY Downstate
Winthrop
St. Lukes
Mt Sinai Beth Israel
NY Presbyterian Queens

1) Am I making a mistake in ranking Rutgers RWJ above NJMS?
2) How does Stony compare to Northwell in terms of academics?

Hey guys! I have a pretty good idea of my list thus far but I want to make sure nothing is popping out in terms of being misplaced. Help is always appreciated from many perspectives and I'd love to hear from @gutonc because I haven't been steered wrong yet by your advice (as funny as sarcastic as it can be sometimes). Matching GI, mentorship, and space for my family/dog are the most important things. Location is secondary but I'd say the majority of the family is in Ohio. All of my interview days were amazing except Case/UH so it's kind of hard to parse out for me.

1/2. University of Wisconsin= University of Iowa- Iowa was my favorite interview day/residents and I was really impressed and wasn't expecting to be. I also really loved Madison and what they have going on at the program and it seems to have an edge in the GI match/leadership/location.
3. Ohio State
4. Jefferson- REALLY loved the program. Turns out if I want a decent sized yard though I gotta commute an hour via trains or pay $220/month for parking
5. Case/UH- Really wanted to love this program as it's close to home but the interviews themselves made it the worst interview day I had. Really awkward times.
6. Cleveland Clinic
7. University of Utah- Loved Salt Lake and the program but SO isn't fond of moving that far away
8. University of Indiana
9. Beaumont- My home program. I love this place a lot and the people are amazing. Hurts that I have it ranked so low. If I were doing cards, pulm, heme/onc this place would be atop my list because they send people everywhere, but the reality is the GI match just isn't that strong and they only have 2 slots in their GI fellowship.
10. University of Nebraska- Also loved it here but so similar to all the other midwest programs and further away.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys! I have a pretty good idea of my list thus far but I want to make sure nothing is popping out in terms of being misplaced. Help is always appreciated from many perspectives and I'd love to hear from @gutonc because I haven't been steered wrong yet by your advice (as funny as sarcastic as it can be sometimes). Matching GI, mentorship, and space for my family/dog are the most important things. Location is secondary but I'd say the majority of the family is in Ohio. All of my interview days were amazing except Case/UH so it's kind of hard to parse out for me.

1/2. University of Wisconsin= University of Iowa- Iowa was my favorite interview day/residents and I was really impressed and wasn't expecting to be. I also really loved Madison and what they have going on at the program and it seems to have an edge in the GI match/leadership/location.
3. Ohio State
4. Jefferson- REALLY loved the program. Turns out if I want a decent sized yard though I gotta commute an hour via trains or pay $220/month for parking
5. Case/UH- Really wanted to love this program as it's close to home but the interviews themselves made it the worst interview day I had. Really awkward times.
6. Cleveland Clinic
7. University of Utah- Loved Salt Lake and the program but SO isn't fond of moving that far away
8. University of Indiana
9. Beaumont- My home program. I love this place a lot and the people are amazing. Hurts that I have it ranked so low. If I were doing cards, pulm, heme/onc this place would be atop my list because they send people everywhere, but the reality is the GI match just isn't that strong and they only have 2 slots in their GI fellowship.
10. University of Nebraska- Also loved it here but so similar to all the other midwest programs and further away.
I'd put Wisco, #1. I think Utah should be higher, like 2-3, and Indy should probably move up as well. But otherwise this list is fine and if you leave it the way it is, no harm/no foul.

I applied to both coasts. GI wannabe here from low-tier MD school with step scores 230s/250s. I like less stressful programs, but am interested in matching into GI fellowships if possible. I have a feeling most of these are reaches for me which is why I don't believe the "80% match in their top 3" applies to me so I have to expect the possibility of matching further down my rank list.

1-5) Some mixture of Tufts, Cedars Sinai, Brown, USC, Harbor-UCLA,
The Rest) Montefiore, UMaryland, Tulane, Kaiser SF, Scripps Green, Kaiser-LA, USF-Morsani, Hofstra NSLIJ, Dartmouth, Rush, Providence Portland Community programs.

My most important components: Location (LA+NYC+Boston preferably) + Potential for fellowships + Non-Malignancy.
Concerns: Community programs like Scripps Green/Cedars Sinai being good enough hybrid academic programs to keep my options open for a competitive fellowship like GI.

Any critique is appreciated.
Kind of in a similar boat to you, although we both have a lot of solid mid tiers (rush, tulane, Hofstra, UMD), I am curious about how the 80% match rule applies to above avg applicants like us.

I applied to both coasts. GI wannabe here from low-tier MD school with step scores 230s/250s. I like less stressful programs, but am interested in matching into GI fellowships if possible. I have a feeling most of these are reaches for me which is why I don't believe the "80% match in their top 3" applies to me so I have to expect the possibility of matching further down my rank list.

The Rest) Montefiore, UMaryland, Tulane, Kaiser SF, Scripps Green, Kaiser-LA, USF-Morsani, Hofstra NSLIJ, Dartmouth, Rush, Providence Portland Community programs.

My most important components: Location (LA+NYC+Boston preferably) + Potential for fellowships + Non-Malignancy.
Concerns: Community programs like Scripps Green/Cedars Sinai being good enough hybrid academic programs to keep my options open for a competitive fellowship like GI.

Cedars should be number 1 for you if you are considering those 3 factors. Cedars is definitely cushier than usc and UCLA harbor and seems to do well in gi match.

All done with interviews and need some advice please.

I'm born and raised in NYC and really want to stay here for family/personal reasons. Unfortunately, I only received NYC interview invites from NYU and Montefiore (no Columbia, Cornell, or Sinai).
I also interviewed at UPenn and I did really like their program.
I want a rigorous training program (but of course some semblance of balance) that will set me up well for fellowship, and of course provide high quality training. If I have to leave NYC for residency, I'd like to go to a place that will give me the possibility of returning to NYC for a good fellowship.

Right now my #1 is NYU, but I'm not sure if I should put Montefiore or UPenn as #2 with the other one then being #3.

Would really appreciate some feedback on my ROL (all of it, not just the Monte vs. UPenn question- please and thank you!)
1. NYU
2. UPenn or Montefiore
3. UPenn or Montefiore
4. Yale
5. Beth Israel Deaconess
6. Jefferson
7. Hofstra/Northwell (main campus)
8. Rutgers RWJ
9. Brown
10. George Washington
11. Georgetown
(I have one more that I will be ranking last but I'm certain of that one)

Thank you so much, everyone!

I'm born and raised in NYC and really want to stay here for family/personal reasons. Unfortunately, I only received NYC interview invites from NYU and Montefiore (no Columbia, Cornell, or Sinai).
I want a rigorous training program (but of course some semblance of balance) that will set me up well for fellowship, and of course provide high quality training. If I have to leave NYC for residency, I'd like to go to a place that will give me the possibility of returning to NYC for a good fellowship.

Right now my #1 is NYU, but I'm not sure if I should put Montefiore or UPenn as #2 with the other one then being #3.

Would really appreciate some feedback on my ROL (all of it, not just the Monte vs. UPenn question- please and thank you!)
1. NYU
2. UPenn or Montefiore
3. UPenn or Montefiore
4. Yale
5. Beth Israel Deaconess
6. Jefferson
8. Rutgers RWJ
9. Brown
10. George Washington
11. Georgetown

Penn will almost certainly set you up to match in NYC for fellowship at any program in any specialty. I don't know that the same can be said for the other non-NYC programs on the list, although you will probably receive great training at any of these programs.

1. NYU
2. UPenn or Montefiore
3. UPenn or Montefiore
4. Yale
5. Beth Israel Deaconess
6. Jefferson
8. Rutgers RWJ
9. Brown
10. George Washington
11. Georgetown

Out of curiosity, how did you like Monte in relation to your wanting a balanced lifestyle in residency?

1. NYU
2. UPenn or Montefiore
3. UPenn or Montefiore
4. Yale
5. Beth Israel Deaconess
6. Jefferson
8. Rutgers RWJ
9. Brown
10. George Washington
11. Georgetown

Clearly by reputation UPenn will set you up best. If you are dead set on being in NYC then NYU> monte, which you’ve already surmised. Yale and bid are both better programs than monte or NYU as well but again depends on how dead set you are on NYC first, which by the way I totally get as I made my rank list for both residency and fellowship with this in mind.

As far as the other programs no major qualms other than to say Jeff, Georgetown, brown and rwj are all better programs than NSLIJ but it seems like you’re ranking based on location and that seems reasonable as is otherwise.

Clearly by reputation UPenn will set you up best. If you are dead set on being in NYC then NYU> monte, which you’ve already surmised. Yale and bid are both better programs than monte or NYU as well but again depends on how dead set you are on NYC first, which by the way I totally get as I made my rank list for both residency and fellowship with this in mind.

As far as the other programs no major qualms other than to say Jeff, Georgetown, brown and rwj are all better programs than NSLIJ but it seems like you’re ranking based on location and that seems reasonable as is otherwise.
What are your thoughts on NSLIJ? interested in GI

Can someone comment on these northeast programs? Go to school in NY and would like to ideally stay in NY if not NJ. I am looking on going into cardiology but also open to be a hospitalist. Really value work life balance and resident happiness.

Current rankings so far:
Stony Brook
Rutgers NJMS
Rutgers RWJ
Lenox Hill
SUNY Downstate
Winthrop
St. Lukes
Mt Sinai Beth Israel
NY Presbyterian Queens

Bump, any comments for these programs?

Hope it also helps those considering these mid/lower tier programs

As compared to what? I don’t know specifics of their match but would say that if you’re interested in a competitive field like GI I’d try and rank a stronger academic program above NSLIJ. All told people from NSLIJ do match GI especially in house but don’t know much more than that.

ROL:

-Mount Sinai
-Montefiore
-Lenox Hill
-UIC
-OHSU
-Stony Brook
-VCU
-EVMS
-Mt. Sinai - SLR
-Einstein Philly
-SUNY Downstate
-Mt Sinai - Beth Israel
-Jacobi
-Winthrop
-Waterbury Yale
-Baystate
-Albany
-Mt. Auburn
-Norwalk Yale
-Bridgeport Yale
-Maimonides

Your list is a mix of solid academic programs to pretty weak community programs. Unclear how you managed to have such a spread but in any event;

As far as the university programs;

Mt Sinai
OHSU
Monte
UIC
VCU
Downstate
Stony brook
Albany
(Not sure about Evms but probably towards the bottom of the academic programs list)

Community programs;

Jacobi
Einstein philly
SLR

The rest

Only thing I would add is Monte > OHSU if you are dead set on cardiology. Very strong cardiology department with a lot of connections, probably #3 in NYC after Columbia/Sinai. Do not rank Maimonides.

Interested in gi or heme/onc. Need help with sorting these 3. Dartmouth, UIC, and RWJ. Location of Dartmouth was a bit of turn off for me.

All similar midtier programs. Unfortunately for you, should probably base your decision on location and your gut instinct.

Current rankings so far:
Stony Brook
Rutgers NJMS
Rutgers RWJ
Lenox Hill
SUNY Downstate
Winthrop
St. Lukes
Mt Sinai Beth Israel
NY Presbyterian Queens

List seems about right. Stonybrook is slightly more established than NSLIJ but NSLIJ is much closer to NYC and you have the option of living in Queens or Brooklyn. Would move Sinai Beth Israel higher than Winthrop, Lenox Hill, and Downstate in terms of prestige.

3. Ohio State
6. Cleveland Clinic
8. University of Indiana

This is a very reasonable list. Madison >> Iowa City any day of the week. Jefferson is solid with a good reputation outside of the mid-Atlantic. I would move Utah up higher esp since you liked it. Very underrated program with strong training, good fellowship match, and a killer location. It's hard being away from family but this is the one chance you have to really go out of your comfort zone. You sound like you're from Ohio so I understand wanting to rank the midwestern programs higher.

My list would go: Wisconsin, Utah, Iowa, Jefferson, Ohio programs in whatever order your gut instinct tells you, the rest.

1. NYU
2. UPenn or Montefiore
3. UPenn or Montefiore
4. Yale
5. Beth Israel Deaconess
6. Jefferson
8. Rutgers RWJ
9. Brown
10. George Washington
11. Georgetown

If location >> everything else, then NYU, Monte, Penn, Yale, BID, Hofstra, Jefferson, rest of the rest
If considering the whole package including location, then Penn, NYU, BID, Yale, Monte, Jefferson, the rest

Midtier program with in-house opportunities. Good but not great clinical training. Possible to live in Manhattan and commute against traffic, but NSLIJ has very cheap subsidized housing close to campus. High salary.

Reactions: 2 users
Only thing I would add is Monte > OHSU if you are dead set on cardiology. Very strong cardiology department with a lot of connections, probably #3 in NYC after Columbia/Sinai. Do not rank Maimonides.

All similar midtier programs. Unfortunately for you, should probably base your decision on location and your gut instinct.

List seems about right. Stonybrook is slightly more established than NSLIJ but NSLIJ is much closer to NYC and you have the option of living in Queens or Brooklyn. Would move Sinai Beth Israel higher than Winthrop, Lenox Hill, and Downstate in terms of prestige.

This is a very reasonable list. Madison >> Iowa City any day of the week. Jefferson is solid with a good reputation outside of the mid-Atlantic. I would move Utah up higher esp since you liked it. Very underrated program with strong training, good fellowship match, and a killer location. It's hard being away from family but this is the one chance you have to really go out of your comfort zone. You sound like you're from Ohio so I understand wanting to rank the midwestern programs higher.

My list would go: Wisconsin, Utah, Iowa, Jefferson, Ohio programs in whatever order your gut instinct tells you, the rest.

If location >> everything else, then NYU, Monte, Penn, Yale, BID, Hofstra, Jefferson, rest of the rest
If considering the whole package including location, then Penn, NYU, BID, Yale, Monte, Jefferson, the rest

Midtier program with in-house opportunities. Good but not great clinical training. Possible to live in Manhattan and commute against traffic, but NSLIJ has very cheap subsidized housing close to campus. High salary.

BI was a better program than Lenox downstate etc but the hospital is closing so would barely even rank them now bc the contingency plans are suspect IMO (merging with lower Sinai affiliated programs ie elmhurst?)

BI was a better program than Lenox downstate etc but the hospital is closing so would barely even rank them now bc the contingency plans are suspect IMO (merging with lower Sinai affiliated programs ie elmhurst?)

Haha fair enough. On the fellowship interview trail, heard BI residency would be folded either into one of Sinai's satellites or main Sinai program (pipe dream?). I doubt they will not accommodate all matched residents as they only need to do this for a year or two. I suppose if you don't trust that, then not ranking them is the right thing to do.

Haha fair enough. On the fellowship interview trail, heard BI residency would be folded either into one of Sinai's satellites or main Sinai program (pipe dream?). I doubt they will not accommodate all matched residents as they only need to do this for a year or two. I suppose if you don't trust that, then not ranking them is the right thing to do.

Ya we can both agree they’re probably not merging with Sinai’s main program and anything else would be worse than BI’s original reputation

Current rankings so far:
Stony Brook
Rutgers NJMS
Rutgers RWJ
Lenox Hill
SUNY Downstate
Winthrop
St. Lukes
Mt Sinai Beth Israel
NY Presbyterian Queens

Mount Sinai St. Luke's-Roosevelt (West) consistently matches residents into academic cardiology programs, and usually holds onto a few for in-house positions each year.

As a graduate of the SLR program. I can share my perspective on where it stands relative to the other programs in it's tier in New York City.

It is on par with Lenox Hill, Jacobi, and Downstate. Lenox Hill seems to be more popular with AMGs, although I'm not sure of the quality of their fellowship match. Based on fellowship potential, work-life balance, research opportunities I genuinely believe SLR is the best program of this group. Relative to programs in the same tier SLR is a strong program for Cardiology and Pulm/Crit. The fact that residents can rotate at MSKCC helps to strengthen applications to Heme/Onc. GI is still possible to obtain but it is very competitive, even though there is an in-house GI fellowship SLR residents rarely match into it. I think SLR has outperformed Jacobi and Downstate in the fellowship match the last few years, at least according to data available on their websites. Lenox Hill's website isn't very clear with regards to where and when people have matched which leads me to believe they're hiding a weaker match, although I could be wrong about this.

Mount Sinai St. Luke's-Roosevelt (West) consistently matches residents into academic cardiology programs, and usually holds onto a few for in-house positions each year.

As a graduate of the SLR program. I can share my perspective on where it stands relative to the other programs in it's tier in New York City.

It is on par with Lenox Hill, Jacobi, and Downstate. Lenox Hill seems to be more popular with AMGs, although I'm not sure of the quality of their fellowship match. Based on fellowship potential, work-life balance, research opportunities I genuinely believe SLR is the best program of this group. Relative to programs in the same tier SLR is a strong program for Cardiology and Pulm/Crit. The fact that residents can rotate at MSKCC helps to strengthen applications to Heme/Onc. GI is still possible to obtain but it is very competitive, even though there is an in-house GI fellowship SLR residents rarely match into it. I think SLR has outperformed Jacobi and Downstate in the fellowship match the last few years, at least according to data available on their websites. Lenox Hill's website isn't very clear with regards to where and when people have matched which leads me to believe they're hiding a weaker match, although I could be wrong about this.

Lenox definitely has a weaker fellowship match than downstate Jacobi or slr. I would say from what I can gather training at Jacobi and SLR are pretty similar and match lists are also similar but would probably give a slight edge to Jacobi (they have the match lists from last couple yrs online and it’s pretty solid for a community program). Both are good training programs that I would definitely rank above BI, Lenox, and downstate.

Alright. So my criteria are as follows:
-Most important: Fellowship opportunities in GI.
-Second most important: Location. I value the Chicago location, have a slight Midwestern bias. Pro west coast, slightly negative east coast bias but of course as you can see, if something overrides that, I'm all ears.
-Third (but still important): Training (especially things like X+Y).

Here are my rankings with a bit of why. My ultimate goal is a GI fellowship with a clinical educator track. I want to spend the first few years in academic medicine and then transition to group practice.

1. UPMC: Such an amazing interview day. Best morning report by far. I just got a bad vibe from my interviewer and was asked a lot about research and they were very visibly unimpressed and it seemed like every blemish on my app was exposed. It really felt I didn't belong during my entire day and everyone else didn't even bother interviewing at a few of my top choices

2. Cleveland Clinic: I get it. People hate them (I think at one point they say they're the #1 IM residency in Ohio which pisses off 2 unquestionably strong programs). For the mid-tier applicant, I don't really see this place as overrated as people who probably interview here vs. other top 20 programs. The whole "fellowship driven" concept is overblown in my opinion. I feel its what people primarily use to attack the place for its pride and diverse recruiting practices (DO/IMG friendly). That coupled with then fact that they accept these applicants is enough to turn people off, but it's not a big deal to me. There were no fellows on gen med rounds I went to on IV day and it seemed exactly like rounds at my hospital. There was plenty of autonomy when I asked plenty of residents. Lastly, Cleveland is a great city in my opinion. The mentorship seemed very apparent, conference wasn't the traditional case but more of a noon-lecture thing with a bit of history and I was extremely impressed. I got a great vibe from the place and I met residents there from everywhere from UCLA to UMich to Emory so it's not like its just IMGs or DOs.

3. Iowa vs. 4 UIC vs 5. Rush: Iowa was by far my favorite interview day out of 15. People talk about fit and that only resonated with me at Iowa out of all place. I like writing and I felt like Iowa valued that hobby. Also, everyone had read my application and I really loved the PD. I'm willing to sacrifice location for a good shot at a great fellowship down the road and this place seemed like the perfect training environment for me (not cush, but great teaching). On the other hand, what doors will Iowa open up that UIC won't open up? That's probably the question of 2018 for me. I feel my best fit is Iowa so part of me wants to rank it #1 and not look back but Pittsburgh and Chicago would open up more doors as I need to meet more people and plan to diversify myself. I was also very impressed with Iowa's morning conference (2nd best), but not UIC or Rush's. No X+Y at Rush also meh but I know the hours there aren't super overwhelming there.

6. Indiana: Very impressed with the city and its unquestionably a strong program given that it is Indiana's program. The residents seemed very smart. Potential negatives seemed to be the 4-hospital system but I kind of buy their adaptability spin. Fellowship match seemed decent. Good morning conference. Not X+Y was a bit of a knock though.

7-9. UCincinnati vs. UMaryland vs. Loyola.
I was extremely impressed with the PD at Cincinnati. Their fellowship match was superb as well for its level, but I wasn't as impressed with the morning report and the city did not impress me as much as others in the Midwest. UMaryland was strong for many reasons. The chiefs gave me the best impression of all. They seemed to be a genuine family over there and morning report was also impressive. The area is meh, but it's close to D.C. which makes it a wash. Fellowship match was underwhelming and it seems like this is the first programs a lot of people dropped. Loyola seemed to have a very hard work day which is fine, but then will be time for research and wellness? I am very physically active and loved surgery but the hours even as a medical students definitely made me reconsider my priorities. It's not also in downtown Chicago and not as highly reputed.

10-11. Henry Ford vs. RWJ: I was extremely impressed with RWJ (relative to my excitement going in) on interview day. The residents were very close-knit and I felt like emphasis was on teaching which I really liked. Henry Ford was also very impressive and the PD seemed genuinely nice and it seemed like finding research wouldn't be a problem.

12. Harbor UCLA: This was initially higher on my list but IV day wasn't impressive and it seemed like residents are worked very hard with some degree of lip service to didactics. Also, many UCLA students even seemed to speak poorly of the program. I would ultimately love to establish roots in Cali and live there at some point, but I don't feel like this is the way. Best location of my interview trail.

13. Medical College of Wisconsin: I went on this IV relatively early. It didn't seem like my interviewers had read my application, the name/match list didn't seem to be the strongest, but I think it's still a solid option. Wasn't super impressed with morning report also. I feel there's a program closer to me very similar to this so why move.

14. Detroit Medical Center: The interview day was a turn-off. I don't think they really do much selling at the interview day and having actually rotated here, I feel like the teaching (with very notable exceptions) was not the best. Tenet bought the center and the hospital is for-profit. That being said, people will fight for you here when it comes to fellowship. Detroit is also not a premier city, but the location is NOT bad.

15. William Beaumont: The hospital's nice (was born here) and the culture/schedule seemed pretty nice. Fellowship match wasn't bad, but its still the newest player to town without a reputation in the academic circles.

Any feedback?
I liked the write up, very detailed. It seems like you have a nice grasp on your top 3 (UPMC, CCF, IOWA).

I am also interested in GI, so I can kind hash out what you are thinking (and I interviewed at several above). How do you tease out ranking the midtier chicago programs, they all have different vibes. RWJ is a nice program, that I would maybe consider moving up, especially with its proximity to major east coast cities.

Also when looking at strong GI programs; what other factors do you look at besides match? whether they have strong liver transplant/IBD center?

They say most IM ppl get their top 3 choice, so you sitting in a solid spot

I liked the write up, very detailed. It seems like you have a nice grasp on your top 3 (UPMC, CCF, IOWA).

I am also interested in GI, so I can kind hash out what you are thinking (and I interviewed at several above). How do you tease out ranking the midtier chicago programs, they all have different vibes. RWJ is a nice program, that I would maybe consider moving up, especially with its proximity to major east coast cities.

Also when looking at strong GI programs; what other factors do you look at besides match? whether they have strong liver transplant/IBD center?

They say most IM ppl get their top 3 choice, so you sitting in a solid spot

Honestly, I don't know. That's one thing I'd like to know. When you ask residents this on the interview trail, none of them can compare to other programs and are biased to their program having likely ranked it highly. "Oh, you know, for fellowship you shouldn't look at whether the place has a good transplant center because you need to have the best general IM training possible" (this place didn't have a transplant center). Same goes for the designated IBD center. One tip from interviewing though is don't say you're interested in a particular area of GI, especially Hepatology if you don't know your stuff about it. I didn't realize this but apparently it's what a lot of disingenuous people have said in the past because GI leadership's looking to create more Hepatology opportunities and because Liver doesn't pay as much. It's the equivalent of telling IM programs you want to do Academic Nephrology and then pivot to Cards during residency and become a private practice interventional cardiologist.

I'll bite because I liked you even though you were a tad neurotic at times and sounds like you're interested in GI like me. Congrats on pulling those competitive Cali programs. Wish I'd have heard from USC/Cedars. Do you have Cali ties by chance or were you just better than me :p

1. USC
2. Cedars (hate to say it but USC still has that name)
3. Montefiore
4. Rush (what's wrong with Chicago?...its a premiere city, if not move 2-3 spots down)
5. Tufts ( I guess since you listed Boston otherwise I'd put UMD).
6. UMD
7. Harbor.
8. Dartmouth: It's rep doesn't make it good enough for its location.
9. Rank your community LA programs as you see fit.

-You're clearly as biased to Cali (as am I) but still wouldn't put Harbor in your 1-5. What made you do that?
-What happened to your 40+ interviews you were bragging about in "Are Letters of Interest mandatory" thread?

Last edited:
Trying to figure out the middle of my rank list (4-8) if anyone can help give input based on reputation of programs. Interested in GI. The location of these places don’t matter too much for me as my top 3 are in my desired location. This is just in case I don’t match in top 3.

Brown
Case Western
Montefiore
Minnesota
Dartmouth

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Trying to figure out the middle of my rank list (4-8) if anyone can help give input based on reputation of programs. Interested in GI. The location of these places don’t matter too much for me as my top 3 are in my desired location. This is just in case I don’t match in top 3.

Brown
Case Western
Montefiore
Minnesota
Dartmouth

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
UMinn/Dartmouth
Case/Monte
Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.