Official 2017-2018 Help Me Rank Megathread [Internal Medicine]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some help with my top 6 again guys. Will ranking USF as #2 hurt my chances of cardiology fellowship? Reason why I ask is because their cardiology matches don't seem to be impressive compared to the other places on my list. Their cards program takes up to 2 people a year internally.
Currently it's #2 because the SO has a much better chance of matching into Florida (she's a 3rd year student). Appreciate the help

1. UF
2. USF
3. Scripps Clinic
4. UT Houston
5. Houston methodist
6. Cleveland clinic

I interviewed at usf and am ranking it dead last based on that rank list. It was also funny that they gave it to you on your way out the door and not with your info folder haha.

I would drop it down if you're serious about fellowship though as it seems nobody has the ability to leave usf.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed at usf and am ranking it dead last based on that rank list. It was also funny that they gave it to you on your way out the door and not with your info folder haha.

I would drop it down if you're serious about fellowship though as it seems nobody has the ability to leave usf.
Glad I'm not the only one who found that weird... thanks man, I really appreciate you responding. This was driving me crazy trying to figure it out!

What are the rules regarding asking your #1 if you're going to match after the official submission date, especially if I sent them a "you're my #1" email....? haha jk but seriously. I'm trying to understand how it's a match violation if both parties already submitted their list and free from persuasion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Longtime lurker, rank list deliberation getting me to finally post. The first 3 on my ROL are pretty set, but going back and forth between #4-8. Pretty set on doing heme-onc fellowship, been struggling with these for a while. Recognize this is pretty late in the game but, here's where they fall right now:

4. UChicago - loved the program, residents, good fellowship match, but one-hospital system. PD seems hands-off which may not be great
5. Vanderbilt - Loved the PD and residents, research opportunities galore. Really could jump UChicago.
6. Michigan - Hard-working but happy residents. PD seems very supportive, but not as impressed with Ann Arbor and fellowship match as other programs
7. WashU - strong overall rep, supportive PD, good research opportunities. Cons - St. Louis, didn't mesh great with residents
8. Northwestern - Great PD, research opportunities and Chicago program with more than one hospital, but didn't gel well with residents on interview day/dinner.

Any input appreciated.
In a similar spot and largely ranking the same as you. I'm also having trouble deciding between UChicago & Vanderbilt. I'll probably end up flipping a coin. I decided to rank WashU above Michigan because 1) I prefer St Louis over Ann Arbor, and 2) Wash U seemed a little less intense of a program with less exhausted residents. Fellowship matches & research opportunities seem similar though.

Best of luck with your decision! Really don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Longtime lurker, rank list deliberation getting me to finally post. The first 3 on my ROL are pretty set, but going back and forth between #4-8. Pretty set on doing heme-onc fellowship, been struggling with these for a while. Recognize this is pretty late in the game but, here's where they fall right now:

4. UChicago - loved the program, residents, good fellowship match, but one-hospital system. PD seems hands-off which may not be great
5. Vanderbilt - Loved the PD and residents, research opportunities galore. Really could jump UChicago.
6. Michigan - Hard-working but happy residents. PD seems very supportive, but not as impressed with Ann Arbor and fellowship match as other programs
7. WashU - strong overall rep, supportive PD, good research opportunities. Cons - St. Louis, didn't mesh great with residents
8. Northwestern - Great PD, research opportunities and Chicago program with more than one hospital, but didn't gel well with residents on interview day/dinner.

Any input appreciated.

These are all excellent institutions. Would rank based on where you want to live and your gut feel after visiting.

What are the rules regarding asking your #1 if you're going to match after the official submission date, especially if I sent them a "you're my #1" email....? haha jk but seriously. I'm trying to understand how it's a match violation if both parties already submitted their list and free from persuasion.

You can tell your #1 they are your #1 at any point in the process. Their response is up to them.

I've already sent that email 2 weeks ago, I meant following-up with them after tomorrow to check if the feeling is mutual.

I've already sent that email 2 weeks ago, I meant following-up with them after tomorrow to check if the feeling is mutual.

Just wait man you're going to sound like a neurotic weirdo

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

No need. Would just be patient.

Having some second thoughts about my rank list. Any input would be appreciated. Currently split 65/35 on hospitalist/fellowship. Obvious geographical preference on the rank list.
1. UTHouston
2. Santa Clara Valley
3. UCLA-Olive View
4. CPMC
5. UCLA-Harbor
6. Utah
7. USC
8. Iowa
9. Loyola

There is literally nothing you can do at that point. Don’t do it.

unless you want to risk repeating this whole process next year after being declared a match violator, I wouldn't advise it.

then again I'd like to know what would happen, so if you end up doing it just keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Last minutes jitters: I am applying into IM and interested in doing Heme/Onc after residency. I am going back and forth on 2nd and 3rd choice on my ROL. Currently I have USC as #2 and Jefferson #3, but now thinking about flipping this order.

Jeff: Pros:I really liked my interview day experience; residents were very friendly; loved the city; my S/O lives 3 blocks from the hospital; 25 golden weekends a year; COL for Philly is very reasonable (at least compared to LA).Cons: Cancer center is not as well regarded, fellowship placement heme/onc is average

USC: Pro: NCI designated comprehensive cancer center; very diverse patient population; significant autonomy as a resident; Also liked LA and S/O has family in LA. Cons: Significantly higher COL, average fellowship placement

#1 factor should be record of fellowship placement over time. Seems like it's the same at both places. I personally think you should rank Jefferson higher since you're SO is there which is a big deal. USC is probably just as good a program so disregard subjective feelings on interview day. Also, doesn't seem like LA is where you want to be.

Need some help with my top 6 again guys. Will ranking USF as #2 hurt my chances of cardiology fellowship? Reason why I ask is because their cardiology matches don't seem to be impressive compared to the other places on my list. Their cards program takes up to 2 people a year internally.
Currently it's #2 because the SO has a much better chance of matching into Florida (she's a 3rd year student). Appreciate the help

1. UF
2. USF
3. Scripps Clinic
4. UT Houston
5. Houston methodist
6. Cleveland clinic

I would put UT Houston over Scripps as that choice seems purely location based. Also CCF above Houston Methodist. As for USF, it's a well-respected, solidly mid-tier place based off Doximity and how people have talked about it. I'm sure that if you're a good applicant, you will be able to.

Having some second thoughts about my rank list. Any input would be appreciated. Currently split 65/35 on hospitalist/fellowship. Obvious geographical preference on the rank list.
1. UTHouston
2. Santa Clara Valley
3. UCLA-Olive View
4. CPMC
5. UCLA-Harbor
6. Utah
7. USC
8. Iowa
9. Loyola

Good list!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. I want to do GI. Not sure how to rank these 3. Thanks for the help!

UVA
CCF
Case Western

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Agree with most of what you have to say but would disagree with your comment on Yale. Vandy and UPMC are both fantastic programs, but if OP intention is to end up in Boston then Yale as #1 makes perfect sense. In the last five years, Vandy and UPMC have two Boston fellowship placements apiece. Yale has well over a dozen Harvard affiliate placements (I got tired of counting), including six in 2017 and 3 more in 2018. Plus, New Haven is a relatively easy drive to Boston.

Another point on fellowship match lists that has been made before on this forum is that regional bias plays a major role in where people end up for fellowship and the “best” IM programs don’t always equal the “best” fellowship in a given subspecialty. Also, what defines a “good” fellowship is somewhat nebulous and depends on career goals. Go over fellowship match lists with a mentor or two in your field of interest, as well as people who matched from that particular program (re: number of interviews, where on their list people from their program tend to match).

Looking at the past 4-5 years of each institutions' match list, 5 Yale graduates matched at Boston (3 at Harvard programs) in cardiology and pulm/CC, compared to 1 from Vanderbilt and none from Pitt. In that regard, you are correct. Obviously, it is much easier to match into Boston programs from Yale across the board given its Northeast location. With that being said, looking at especially Vanderbilt's match list in cardiology and pulm/CC, it is hard to imagine if a Vanderbilt resident really wanted to go to Boston, he/she would not end up there.

I liked Yale and Vanderbilt when I interviewed for IM. I ranked Vanderbilt higher because Nashville > New Haven and thought there was more autonomy and stronger clinical training overall at Vanderbilt... and didn't end up at either.

Thanks for the info. Are you able to estimate the delta between MD and Tufts? (I assume you interviewed at both programs at some point..). Is the difference in the patient population or volume? Or in actual training/mentorship?

Interviewed at MD, did not apply to Tufts. Did not train at either. Maybe this is a mid-Atlantic bias, but from my understanding and from talking to friends and faculty who have trained at Tufts, the clinical rigor at Tufts is not as high. You'll be fine coming out of both. If you want to be in Baltimore and end up at Hopkins, rank MD higher. If you want to be in Boston and end up at Harvard, rank Tufts higher.

Hi guys, I’d be super grateful for any input on my 3-10. Interested in GI, flexible with location. I think I’d be happy at pretty much any of these, but I’m trying to decide in terms of reputation/GI opportunities if there’s anything grossly out of place here. Made a new account for an attempt at privacy :)

Cleveland Clinic
Minnesota
Dartmouth
Mayo FL
Miami
Montefiore
Rush
Loyola

Monte/Minnesota > everything else

Last minutes jitters: I am applying into IM and interested in doing Heme/Onc after residency. I am going back and forth on 2nd and 3rd choice on my ROL. Currently I have USC as #2 and Jefferson #3, but now thinking about flipping this order.

Jeff: Pros:I really liked my interview day experience; residents were very friendly; loved the city; my S/O lives 3 blocks from the hospital; 25 golden weekends a year; COL for Philly is very reasonable (at least compared to LA).Cons: Cancer center is not as well regarded, fellowship placement heme/onc is average

USC: Pro: NCI designated comprehensive cancer center; very diverse patient population; significant autonomy as a resident; Also liked LA and S/O has family in LA. Cons: Significantly higher COL, average fellowship placement

Sounds like you liked Jefferson better so should rank it higher.

Any input appreciated.

Sounds like you liked Vanderbilt the most so it should be #4. Getting along with residents and location are by far the most important things to consider when making your rank list, esp at these top institutions as there are plenty of research opportunities for anyone interested/motivated.

If interested in cardiology, how would you rank the below. I currently have it as:

USC
UC Irvine
Harbor
Olive-View

Torn because OV seems like excellent generalized medicine training, but doesn't have in-house fellowship.

Thank you!

If interested in cardiology, how would you rank the below. I currently have it as:

USC
UC Irvine
Harbor
Olive-View

Torn because OV seems like excellent generalized medicine training, but doesn't have in-house fellowship.

Thank you!

USC, UCI, and Harbor all have their own fellowships which is nice. OV sends 1 person to UCLA approximately every 2 years.

I would rank:
1. Harbor
2/3. USC or UCI (depending on how much you want a county experience)
4. OV

USC, UCI, and Harbor all have their own fellowships which is nice. OV sends 1 person to UCLA approximately every 2 years.

I would rank:
1. Harbor
2/3. USC or UCI (depending on how much you want a county experience)
4. OV

Thank you for your input! Curious why Harbor over USC?

Last minute thoughts on Tulane vs Cedar Sinai vs UT houston? Interested in GI.
Right now they are at 3. Tulane>4. Cedar>6. UT Houston on my list.

Does anyone know the deadline for programs to submit their lists?

EDIT: Nevermind I found it on NRMP site. It's the same as ours.

Last edited:
Why is it we have to wait so long for the results? Shouldn't a computer algorithm have the results by the next day? Just curious.

Why is it we have to wait so long for the results? Shouldn't a computer algorithm have the results by the next day? Just curious.

Not sure. I know they do a series of matches to ensure there aren't anomalies. But in this day in age that shouldn't take more than a couple of days.

I guess I assume they just like to see us squirm.

Reactions: 1 users

Been told it has to do with double checking everything in the match went okay and that everyone is properly matched, the i’s are dotted and the t’s are crossed. Apparently there’s a **** ton of liability if something in the algorithm messed up or if one person/program violated something and messes it up for everyone.

Thank you for your input! Curious why Harbor over USC?

They are very similar in terms of exposure, pathology, etc. My main reason is because Harbor is a smaller program (easier to get to know people and stand out) while USC is a very large IM residency. That being said, I think clinical training is excellent at both as is the Cardiology Faculty you can work with.

They are very similar in terms of exposure, pathology, etc. My main reason is because Harbor is a smaller program (easier to get to know people and stand out) while USC is a very large IM residency. That being said, I think clinical training is excellent at both as is the Cardiology Faculty you can work with.

Thanks so much for your input! Greatly appreciated. What are your thoughts on Cedars vs USC/Harbor for eventual Cards fellowship

Thanks so much for your input! Greatly appreciated. What are your thoughts on Cedars vs USC/Harbor for eventual Cards fellowship

USC and Harbor Cardiology both like to take fellows from each others' programs (given similar county experience).

Cedars has an excellent clinical (stellar HF) fellowship, but does not frequently take their own residents. For cardiology, their residents often match at Kaiser LA and USC.

I would pick based on the county experience (USC/Harbor) versus private/community (Cedars). Wherever you thrive will make it easiest to match in to cardiology.

Stanford
MGH
UCSF

the current order my Top 3. I doubted myself and put the programs in alphabetical order on random.org and hit randomize and it spit them out in the same order they already were on my rank list. is this a sign?

if anyone objects to this ranking, speak now or forever hold your peace

Stanford
MGH
UCSF

the current order my Top 3. I doubted myself and put the programs in alphabetical order on random.org and hit randomize and it spit them out in the same order they already were on my rank list. is this a sign?

if anyone objects to this ranking, speak now or forever hold your peace
That's as good a way to rank them as any. They're all very good (and very different) programs, which you well know. If they offer you what you need/want, no way to argue with that order.

That's as good a way to rank them as any. They're all very good (and very different) programs, which you well know. If they offer you what you need/want, no way to argue with that order.
Yes unfortunately I have to rank SF Boston NYC and Chicago programs at the top because of my SO. So to make that work the top programs on my list are of different nature. In general I'm more in favor of programs that take wellness seriously, but for some reason they also tend to be in smaller cities.

So while I would love to rank Stanford OHSU Yale Mayo UNC at the top, It's more like Stanford MGH UCSF Northwestern Cornell UChicago.

Anyway Stanford is more like the former type of program,those I would prefer before taking spousal needs into consideration...it is really the only program that fits perfectly for what we both want, so I think it'll have to be number 1.

I honestly think UCSF is a better fit in terms of the people and the training philosophy. My SO would prefer SF too, but I think it's a little too intense for me when it comes to work life balance

My advisor told me that the program itself takes 23 minutes to run. We really should get our results at 9:24 PM ET today.

Bye everyone!

Last edited:
Yes unfortunately I have to rank SF Boston NYC and Chicago programs at the top because of my SO. So to make that work the top programs on my list are of different nature. In general I'm more in favor of programs that take wellness seriously, but for some reason they also tend to be in smaller cities.

So while I would love to rank Stanford OHSU Yale Mayo UNC at the top, It's more like Stanford MGH UCSF Northwestern Cornell UChicago.

Anyway Stanford is more like the former type of program,those I would prefer before taking spousal needs into consideration...it is really the only program that fits perfectly for what we both want, so I think it'll have to be number 1.

I honestly think UCSF is a better fit in terms of the people and the training philosophy. My SO would prefer SF too, but I think it's a little too intense for me when it comes to work life balance

Happy and well trained in peaceful Palo Alto. It will be a rough life for the next three years. I went and worked out as the deadline approached so I couldn't perseverate anymore.

Congratulations everyone!

My advisor told me that the program itself takes 23 minutes to run

If the actual algorithm takes more than 3 seconds to run, they should hire a new programmer. The match without couples and slot reversions should be a "P" complexity problem, adding the couples and reversions is going to (probably) make it NP, but not by much. With only 50K applicants and several 1000 programs, this is easy peasy. You could do it in Excel with VBA.

In case you want further info about P vs NP: P versus NP problem - Wikipedia

Reactions: 1 users
If the actual algorithm takes more than 3 seconds to run, they should hire a new programmer. The match without couples and slot reversions should be a "P" complexity problem, adding the couples and reversions is going to (probably) make it NP, but not by much. With only 50K applicants and several 1000 programs, this is easy peasy. You could do it in Excel with VBA.

In case you want further info about P vs NP: P versus NP problem - Wikipedia
Found codes for match algorithm in GitHub, nrmp/match.go at master · edma2/nrmp · GitHub
This is really elegant, but I'm not sure if it is from NRMP officially.

how is everyone dealing with the torture? less than 1 week in 2.5 more to go!

Good luck to everyone <3 wishing you all the best

how is everyone dealing with the torture? less than 1 week in 2.5 more to go!

Good luck to everyone <3 wishing you all the best
dealing poorly. would like to be placed in a medically induced coma until match week.

Coma sounds great.

Especially when I’m getting all these SOAP reminder emails.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Will pay extra for a caloric deficit during my coma. Would like to emerge down a few pounds.

Reactions: 3 users
Advice from current/former residents with children would be most appreciated, but everyone's input is welcome.

My situation:
- Married, with a newborn child who will be 7-months-old at start of residency.
- My family and my wife's family are both in California.
- My wife works and will probably be back at work when I start residency

My goals:
(1) For my wife and I to not go crazy raising a baby in residency
(2) GI fellowship, maybe on West Coast but that can always change

Concerns and question marks:
- Both families are in CA, which would mean extra help with child care/moral support. So should I rank CA or bust given my situation? My wife says "we'll make it work wherever we go," but I worry that moving to a totally new place will be tough.
- 3 of my "top contenders" are quite far from CA.

Feel free to rank, but even general words of advice would be really helpful.

Top choice: (1) UCSD
In the mix: Cornell, Wash U in St Louis, Emory, USC, UC Davis, Harbor-UCLA, Cedars-Sinai, OHSU
Lower in my list: Scripps-Green, UC Irvine, Case Western, Montefiore, SCVMC

Hi Tayne,
Curious what you ended up deciding did you chose family over prestige? Or the other way around? How did it work out for you?
If you had to do it over again would you move something lower on your list because its easier for the family?

Hi Tayne,
Curious what you ended up deciding did you chose family over prestige? Or the other way around? How did it work out for you?
If you had to do it over again would you move something lower on your list because its easier for the family?

This is really late - it's well past Match now - but I wanted to respond anyway. I made the right decision prioritizing family considerations when ranking. I will state that I don't think boiling my situation down to "family versus prestige" is most apt since my 1st choice was still academic and pretty well respected. I did match at my 1st choice, thankfully.

Back to the point, prioritizing family and your well being is really important during the rank process. For me, with a baby and a wife also working full time in a demanding job, I know that we would have been really unhappy without local family support. They've been so important, not even just for babysitting but also for moral support when we're tired. We now have their babysitting help in light of all the upheaval going on with COVID - our daycare closed early on in the pandemic - which is a huge lifesaver.

In short, don't discount the importance of factoring family support into your decision, especially if you have young kids. I'm won't say that you should cross MGH off your list in favor of Smalltown Community Hospital in Everytown, USA. I will say that I haven't looked back on my decision and the last few weeks have made me feel even better about the way things went.

Status
Not open for further replies.