Official 2017 Rank Order List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not sure if it means anything, from my top choice the night below ROL deadline:

""wanted to say thanks once again for your very nice comments, and I hope you
continue to think well of us. All of us enjoyed chatting with you, and
with any luck, we hope to see you here again very soon.

And, thanks for your sincere card over the holidays - I
don't believe I've said thanks for that yet!""

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if it means anything, from my top choice the night below ROL deadline:

""wanted to say thanks once again for your very nice comments, and I hope you
continue to think well of us. All of us enjoyed chatting with you, and
with any luck, we hope to see you here again very soon.

And, thanks for your sincere card over the holidays - I
don't believe I've said thanks for that yet!""

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but I got the same email the night before, WORD FOR WORD. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
I pleasant, noncommittal replies from my top places when I sent them emails saying I was ranking them highly. I got very positive emails that were specific to me from two places that I have ranked very close to the bottom of my list but neither said anything specific about where I was ranked on their list. I also got a couple generic form emails that I'm sure everyone else who interviewed at those places got.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't mean to burst your bubble, but I got the same email the night before, WORD FOR WORD. Good luck!!

is it the same program with new PD?
other PD got promoted to be head of GME (he interviewed me and during interview said liked me a lot, and emailed me they think highly of me in reply to my email?

Maybe doing this to everyone

is it the same program with new PD?
other PD got promoted to be head of GME (he interviewed me and during interview said liked me a lot, and emailed me they think highly of me in reply to my email?

Maybe doing this to everyone

Yes, I was there in December, new PD. Didn't get a chance to meet old PD, but sounds like they like you! Good luck!!

it's gonna be a looooong wait until March 13th. how are we passing the time fam? i'll be slaving away in an icu for a month and catching up on HBO shows with a side of trashy Bravo

Prepping for my ACLS day, pretending to be a "real doctor" until I can't anymore... :p

Yes, I was there in December, new PD. Didn't get a chance to meet old PD, but sounds like they like you! Good luck!!

That's scary they sent same email to multiple people.

Where did u rank them?

Man I didn't even get a generic email lol. I interviewed mostly In southwest with about 3 northern programs

Thoughts on UCSD v. USC+LAC?

and if anyone got a love letter from either, how were they worded?

My final psych rank list in order was:

1 - Duke
2 - WashU
3 - Case Western
4 - Carilion Clinic
5 - Rosalind Franklin
6 - UMN
7 - Hennepin-Regions
9- UTHSC - Tyler
10 - Rio Grande - Harlingen

Anyone else sharing their list?

Reactions: 1 users
Thoughts on UCSD v. USC+LAC?

and if anyone got a love letter from either, how were they worded?

Didn't get a love letter from USC+LAC per se, but did receive generic seeming post-interview e-mail from APD who interviewed me, "would very much welcome the opportunity to work with you if you were to match with us."

Didn't get a love letter from USC+LAC per se, but did receive generic seeming post-interview e-mail from APD who interviewed me, "would very much welcome the opportunity to work with you if you were to match with us."

I got that from APD too :/

Any communication from UCSD?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I'll share too. Good luck everyone!

1. Mayo Clinic
2. UAMS
3. Indiana University
4. USF
5. University of Maryland
6. UF Gainesville
7. UAMS - Community track
8. University of Kansas
9. University of South Alabama
10. OU - Tulsa
11. VCU
12. Medical College of Georgia
13. ECU
14. Carolinas Medical Center

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Ok, I'll share too. Good luck everyone!

1. Mayo Clinic
2. UAMS
3. Indiana University
4. USF
5. University of Maryland
6. UF Gainesville
7. UAMS - Community track
8. University of Kansas
9. University of South Alabama
10. OU - Tulsa
11. VCU
12. Medical College of Georgia
13. ECU
14. Carolinas Medical Center

What did you think of Carolinas Medical Center? No one on this thread has given much information on this new program.

What did you think of Carolinas Medical Center? No one on this thread has given much information on this new program.

I actually really liked the faculty and program director. They seem to have some really good genuine people there. If it wasn't for the fact that it is new it probably would have been higher on my list. I think it will end up being a really solid community program.

Same here, other than one from ECU a while back that I later found out was a form letter sent to many people (so not a love letter). I think programs are being relatively silent this year trying to not violate match rules at all costs. I got a couple of last minute "hey remember us" type letters that basically said this is our program number to input into NRMP and good luck in the match.

I'm kind of glad that fewer programs are sending out love letters this year (or so it seems). Love letters and "you're my #1 program" emails just makes for unnecessary mind games for both parties.

I think it's fun to share rank lists :)

1) CHA
2) Brigham
3) BIDMC
4) Yale
5) BUMC
6) UVM
7) UPenn
8) Dartmouth
9) U Rochester
10) Maine Med
11) Tufts

good luck everyone!!!!! :D

I'll bite!

1) UPMC
2) MGH child track
3) Brown
4) Michigan
5) MGH categorical
6) Northwestern
7) Maryland
8) Cleveland Clinic
9) Buffalo Child Track
10) Case Western
11) Allegheny General
12) Bufffalo Categorical
13) Cincinnati

I'll bite!

1) UPMC
2) MGH child track
3) Brown
4) Michigan
5) MGH categorical
6) Northwestern
7) Maryland
8) Cleveland Clinic
9) Buffalo Child Track
10) Case Western
11) Allegheny General
12) Bufffalo Categorical
13) Cincinnati

I wonder why so many are ranking Case Westeen low.

Hope more people share! I'm def curious to see what other people thought. And at this point nothing to lose by sharing

I wonder why so many are ranking Case Westeen low.

I just didn't walk out with much of a vibe one way or the other. I didn't feel like I met very many residents and I didn't think I learned a whole lot about the program. I didn't necessarily get a bad vibe, I just wasn't sold on anything great. Also, I am factoring in a husband moving with me into my rank list and Cleveland is his least favorite location on my list and he requested it be moved lower if there were other places I could see myself.

I struggled with my list for awhile, especially 6-13. Geography is important to us for family reasons but I could honestly be happy at most of these programs (not sure my husband would say the same)...here's hoping for a match!

1. Cincinnati
2. Triple Board
3. Indiana
4. Ohio State
5. Wright State
6. Louisville
7. Triple Board
8. Case Western
9. Michigan State
10. Pine Rest
11. Kentucky
12. Community (IN)
13. Wisconsin
14. West Virginia
15. Allegheny GH

Reactions: 2 users
Hope more people share! I'm def curious to see what other people thought. And at this point nothing to lose by sharing
Lol, okay, I wasn't sure if anybody paid attention to (or benefited from) these lists. Here's the final sazerac ingredients list:

1. Dartmouth
2. U Mass (Worcester)
3. U North Carolina
4. Maricopa (Phoenix AZ area)
5. LSU New Orleans
6. U Arizona Tucson
7. Utah
8. Sacred Heart (Spokane WA)
9. MAHEC (Asheville NC)
10. Tulane
11. Pine Rest (Grand Rapids MI)
12. LSU Baton Rouge
13. UC Irvine
14. UCLA San Fernando Valley
15. U Central Florida (not "the" UF, but also in Gainesville)
16. U New Mexico

The order of these programs is highly personal - mine involved past experiences, ailing parents, locations of in-laws, gut feel on the interview experience, desires of the wife, educational opportunities for the children, etc. When choosing a medical school I was a free man, but now I have so much external baggage I don't imagine folks gaining much from my list.

Reactions: 5 users
1. UCLA San Fernando Valley
2. UC Riverside
3. USC+LAC
4. UTMB
5. UT houston
6. S&W in temple
7. UT San Antonio
8. Kaweah Delta
9. UAB
10. USA in mobile
11. UTHSC - Tyler

List was also very personal. Dependent on wife, art, aging father, location etc. Wish it was longer, and having this irrational fear that I won't match -_-

Reactions: 2 users
1. UNLV
2. HSS
3 CHA
4. UCR
5. UNR
6. UCLA-SFV
7. Vanderbilt
8. UNM
9. Utah

I just didn't walk out with much of a vibe one way or the other. I didn't feel like I met very many residents and I didn't think I learned a whole lot about the program. I didn't necessarily get a bad vibe, I just wasn't sold on anything great. Also, I am factoring in a husband moving with me into my rank list and Cleveland is his least favorite location on my list and he requested it be moved lower if there were other places I could see myself.

I walked with an intention to rank it #1 but totally changed. Didn't get a friendly vibe and was interviewed by Assoc PD not PD. One resident was very friendly but others were hard to judge and barely hadn't interaction. A lot of IMGs there
2. UC Riverside
3. USC+LAC
4. UTMB
5. UT houston
6. S&W in temple
7. UT San Antonio
8. Kaweah Delta
9. UAB
10. USA in mobile
11. UTHSC - Tyler

List was also very personal. Dependent on wife, art, aging father, location etc. Wish it was longer, and having this irrational fear that I won't match -_-

You would be fine. Remember ur last choice Tyler is in middle of no where. Literally nothing even to get there and it is likely last choice for most

I'll give it a go,

1. UPENN
2. Yale
3. Columbia
4. Sinai
5. NYU
6. Cornell
7. MGH
8. Brown
9. BIDMC
10. Northwell/LIJ

Lots of things went into it including research opportunities, location, and gut feeling. Hope everyone has a great match!

I received the following email from Mount Sinai Beth Israel today, and was confused by what it meant as it refers to ranking but the ranking deadline has passed. Did anyone else receive anything like it?

Applicants,
Attached you will find 2017 MSBI-GME website “Terms and Conditions of Appointment”, please logged into thewww.bethisraelgme.org in order for you to be match into our program as soon as possible; also complete the sign out form and return me as well. The Terms and Condition form is being sent to you, and please read carefully, and sign and send back to me if you have not already done so, or completed when you came for your interview. It is important that you login into our website and follow the instructions so that you can be matched properly. Please contact me if you have questions.
I have also attached the “Interview Sign-Out Acknowledgement Form” that each interviewee should have signed during their interview session, along with the “Important Information for Interviewees” demonstration guide that your applicants can use to maneuver their way through Terms and Conditions of Appointment link.
Remember: NO LOGIN, NO RANKING!!!
Thank you,
Linda Kilgore
Psychiatry Residency Program Coordinator
E-mail Address: [email protected]
212-420-2390

Phishing? There are a lot of errors...

I received the following email from Mount Sinai Beth Israel today, and was confused by what it meant as it refers to ranking but the ranking deadline has passed. Did anyone else receive anything like it?

Applicants,
Attached you will find 2017 MSBI-GME website “Terms and Conditions of Appointment”, please logged into thewww.bethisraelgme.org in order for you to be match into our program as soon as possible; also complete the sign out form and return me as well. The Terms and Condition form is being sent to you, and please read carefully, and sign and send back to me if you have not already done so, or completed when you came for your interview. It is important that you login into our website and follow the instructions so that you can be matched properly. Please contact me if you have questions.
I have also attached the “Interview Sign-Out Acknowledgement Form” that each interviewee should have signed during their interview session, along with the “Important Information for Interviewees” demonstration guide that your applicants can use to maneuver their way through Terms and Conditions of Appointment link.
Remember: NO LOGIN, NO RANKING!!!
Thank you,
Linda Kilgore
Psychiatry Residency Program Coordinator
E-mail Address: [email protected]
212-420-2390

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Phishing? There are a lot of errors...

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Yeah, the thought crossed my mind too, but it seemed like a surprisingly sophisticated phishing attempt (knowing to talk about the match, knowing to email me, knowing to use the correct PC's name). But I think you're right because it lists a different email address (she had previously contacted me through a different email address of hers). Hopefully this post helps to warn others if there is a phishing attempt going around. I will contact the PD and PC as well.

Like everyone else, my list is highly personal. Outing myself to quite a few with this post, hah.

1. UC Davis
2. UCSF - Fresno
3. Loma Linda
4. University of Arizona - Tucson
5. UCLA - SFV
6. University of New Mexico
7. UC Irvine
8. LAC+USC
9. UC Riverside
10. Emory
11. UTMB
12. Jackson Memorial / University of Miami
13. University of Arizona - Phoenix
14. University of Maryland / Sheppard Pratt
15. University of Florida - Jacksonville
16. University of South Florida
17. UTHSC - Houston
18. Institute of Living
19. Scott & White / Texas A&M
20. Kaweah Delta
21. LSU - Baton Rouge
22. Citrus Health Network
23. UCLA - Kern
24. University of Hawaii

2. UC Riverside
3. USC+LAC
4. UTMB
5. UT houston
6. S&W in temple
7. UT San Antonio
8. Kaweah Delta
9. UAB
10. USA in mobile
11. UTHSC - Tyler

I met you on the trail and I'd be really surprised if you didn't match! I'm amused by how we ranked the interviews we both went to the same, swapping LAC+USC for UC Riverside.

I got the same email from Beth Israel, not sure what to make of it. I know someone else who didn't get that email, maybe it was blocked by her spam filter?

Like everyone else, my list is highly personal. Outing myself to quite a few with this post, hah.

1. UC Davis
2. UCSF - Fresno
3. Loma Linda
5. UCLA - SFV
7. UC Irvine
8. LAC+USC
9. UC Riverside
10. Emory
11. UTMB
17. UTHSC - Houston
18. Institute of Living
20. Kaweah Delta
21. LSU - Baton Rouge
23. UCLA - Kern
24. University of Hawaii

May I ask a ballpark of how much you spent this interview season?

May I ask a ballpark of how much you spent this interview season?

I'm trying to avoid thinking of that, and haven't actually totaled the amount, but have found myself very short on funds recently.

1. UC Davis
2. UCSF - Fresno
3. Loma Linda
5. UCLA - SFV
7. UC Irvine
8. LAC+USC
9. UC Riverside
10. Emory
11. UTMB
17. UTHSC - Houston
18. Institute of Living
20. Kaweah Delta
21. LSU - Baton Rouge
23. UCLA - Kern
24. University of Hawaii

You went on a world tour! And to Hawaii no less!!

You went on a world tour! And to Hawaii no less!!

Sadly, my Hawaii interview was conducted at a hotel in Los Angeles, and the interview day went so bizarrely that they dropped to the bottom of my list and my partner cancelled her interview.

1. UC Davis
2. UCSF - Fresno
3. Loma Linda
5. UCLA - SFV
7. UC Irvine
8. LAC+USC
9. UC Riverside
10. Emory
11. UTMB
17. UTHSC - Houston
18. Institute of Living
20. Kaweah Delta
21. LSU - Baton Rouge
23. UCLA - Kern
24. University of Hawaii
What were your thoughts on citrus? I applied but didn't get an interview invite. I've been to that area before but when I looked into the program couldn't find anything about them lol

What were your thoughts on citrus? I applied but didn't get an interview invite. I've been to that area before but when I looked into the program couldn't find anything about them lol

Avoid. You were probably too strong of an applicant if you didn't receive an invitation. It's a new (only up to PGY2 now), small (4 residents/per class) program in an awful part of Miami-Dade. Residents and faculty not particularly inspiring. The facility that they spend almost all of their time in is bleak and ugly. This is not a program to attend unless you have no other choices, or need to go / stay in South Florida. One perk is that it seemed closer to the "chill" side of the work-life spectrum.

Avoid. You were probably too strong of an applicant if you didn't receive an invitation. It's a new (only up to PGY2 now), small (4 residents/per class) program in an awful part of Miami-Dade. Residents and faculty not particularly inspiring. The facility that they spend almost all of their time in is bleak and ugly. This is not a program to attend unless you have no other choices, or need to go / stay in South Florida. One perk is that it seemed closer to the "chill" side of the work-life spectrum.

oh wow lol. some of the smaller programs i encountered seemed solid but i guess theres def some that are less desirable

Have to omit a couple that'd completely give away my identity haha But they're at the bottom anyway

1. Northwestern
2. CHA
3. UTSW
4. MGH
5. Vandy
6. UCLA SFV
7. UCLA harbor
8. Emory

It surprises me that MGH doesn't top anyone's list despite reputation and location... Does it have a lousy culture or something?

And MGH has a reputation of being super hardworking.

Just nerves here. Did anyone get any post-interview communication that seemed specific/unique from Indiana or WashU?

Just nerves here. Did anyone get any post-interview communication that seemed specific/unique from Indiana or WashU?

There's no way that the answer to this question will help you. Easier said than done, but try not to think about it.

I got what seemed like a form letter with one specific "fill in the blank" type specific thing from the dinner from one resident at Indiana, but nothing specific. It just basically said nice to meet you thanks for interviewing essentially.

Anyone got post-interview from Carilion Clinic or Case Western?

It surprises me that MGH doesn't top anyone's list despite reputation and location... Does it have a lousy culture or something?

It is wonderful for the right people and toxic for everyone else. As always goodness of fit should trump reputation (and it is clearly the most prestigious program in the country). But that does not mean it provides the best training, or that it is the right place for everyone to grow as a psychiatrist. It takes a special kind of person to be able to overlook a lot of things for the many advantages that come with training there. Additionally, location is the single largest determinant of where someone chooses to go for psychiatry residency (not true for many other specialties) and this is only becoming truer as work becomes less important to people.