Official 2018-2019 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How many non-categorical anesthesia programs do you have IIs to?
Only one strictly non-catergorical program II. However, most programs I applied to have both catergorical and non-cat spots in within their program

Members don't see this ad.

Not much movement at all for prelim/TY programs. Anyone with a lot of luck?

I heard east coast is moving a lot, friend has 1 gas interview but 6 prelims on east coast.

Seems slow on west coast, but then again I don't have great stats, only 2 prelims over here

Members don't see this ad :)

I contacted a few last week that either told me "they're full", going thru apps pretty slowly, or haven't even sent out interviews yet. Not sure how to take any of these answers. One even told me that they would get back to me last Friday after they reviewed my app and I haven't received any communications.

I contacted a few last week that either told me "they're full", going thru apps pretty slowly, or haven't even sent out interviews yet. Not sure how to take any of these answers. One even told me that they would get back to me last Friday after they reviewed my app and I haven't received any communications.

We can't email through ERAS right? Are you just emailing the program coordinator through your school email?

Woodhull (community hospital) in NYC sending out invites (though not even correctly dated ... today is 10/22, but it is dated 10/19?)

Interview slots all the way into February

I’m kinda not worried about prelim right now because a lot of programs help you find a prelim spot if they are advanced.. I’m just getting anxiety about few gas interviews haha.

Reactions: 1 users
What's everyone bringing the day of interviews?

I've heard Folder/CV/Pen/Paper, but I've also heard just bring a Pen

What's everyone bringing the day of interviews?

I've heard Folder/CV/Pen/Paper, but I've also heard just bring a Pen
I brought a padfolio and had my CV with it for my last interview but I never actually gave my CV. It was helpful having the pad for writing down info on the programs call schedule, program changes, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know of a good source for most common interview questions for prelim positions, particularly IM?

Anyone know of a good source for most common interview questions for prelim positions, particularly IM?

One interview question I got was "If you had the internet and it's search engines such as google, bing, and yahoo at your fingertips; how would you search for common residency interview questions?"

I answered ask the Official 2018-2019 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread, because thats obviously the correct answer. Not all the other search engines the questioner mentioned that likely have a wealth of information on the topic.

One interview question I got was "If you had the internet and it's search engines such as google, bing, and yahoo at your fingertips; how would you search for common residency interview questions?"

I answered ask the Official 2018-2019 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread, because thats obviously the correct answer. Not all the other search engines the questioner mentioned that likely have a wealth of information on the topic.
Dang.. a bit harsh.. I thought anesthesiologists weren’t as malignant as surgeons..

Members don't see this ad :)
Dang.. a bit harsh.. I thought anesthesiologists weren’t as malignant as surgeons..

Not only is this information readily available on the internet in very well written formats, he is at least the fourth person to ask this question on this thread. To boot, he's asking about IM residency interview questions on an anesthesiology residency application thread.

Even the most patient of anesthesiologist will call you out when you make that many mistakes in one statement.

Let us all be calm and nice to each other. We're all anxious/stressed/freaked the hell out so sometimes asking very simple questions helps to ease a little anxiety. It's not like we can all steal Versed from the anesthesia cart so we only got each other to be irrational with. Be kind and supportive, regardless of the question.

Reactions: 2 users
I have my first interview this week and I’m hoping it’s not too brutal. I’m hoping most programs want to get to know their candidates and engage in a conversation instead of standardized questions people can google and prepare for. Never know though. Honestly hope the best for y’all! I know everyone’s gonna do well. Be proud! You rock!

Not only is this information readily available on the internet in very well written formats, he is at least the fourth person to ask this question on this thread. To boot, he's asking about IM residency interview questions on an anesthesiology residency application thread.

Even the most patient of anesthesiologist will call you out when you make that many mistakes in one statement.
I’m not disagreeing with your statement. I just think sometimes the anonymity of the Internet produces malignancy that isn’t needed. I’ll be the first to admit I’m nervous this interview season. With that being said, I think this has been an overall encouraging and friendly community. Just hate to see it be different is all.

If you weren’t too busy trying to be a douche, you would have used better reading comprehension to realize I asked about prelim-IM, which is why it’s in this thread. I use the 2018-19 spreadsheet frequently, but the interview questions seem specific for anesthesia. I love the Internet tough guys like yourself though.

Last edited:
If you weren’t too busy trying to be a douche, you would have used better reading comprehension to realize I asked about prelim-IM, which is why it’s in this thread. This thread excel sheet interview questions is specific for anesthesia. I love the Internet tough guys like yourself though.

Just for your information im not a tough guy anywhere, not even here. I'm a well know pansy to all my friends and family.

Furthermore you dont have to be tough to call out people who refuse to do research for themselves. Prelim-IM/TY/Prelim surgery it doesnt matter...this is anesthesiology. Furthermore you dont have to depend on this threads excel spreadsheets for interview questions, there is a plethora of information out there (google, bing, yahoo, ask.com...hell aol.com is still alive and kicking) and all you have to do is know how to enter in simple search queries like "Prelim IM interview questions" and you have better resources than we could supply you anyway.

Went to a solid academic Midwest interview last week and the interviewers asked about my hobbies/EC. Spoke to other applicants on our tour afterward and we all concluded that at this particular interview, it's the luck of the draw (who the interviewer is) as to what questions are asked. Good luck everyone on the interview trail and hope to hear good news from you all come March.

Just for your information im not a tough guy anywhere, not even here. I'm a well know pansy to all my friends and family.

Furthermore you dont have to be tough to call out people who refuse to do research for themselves. Prelim-IM/TY/Prelim surgery it doesnt matter...this is anesthesiology. Furthermore you dont have to depend on this threads excel spreadsheets for interview questions, there is a plethora of information out there (google, bing, yahoo, ask.com...hell aol.com is still alive and kicking) and all you have to do is know how to enter in simple search queries like "Prelim IM interview questions" and you have better resources than we could supply you anyway.
I’d have to agree with your friends and family too. Asking about prelim is completely relevant, whether this is an anesthesia thread or not. I keep it simple on SDN. If I know answers to other people’s questions, I try to sincerely help out. I certainly don’t waste my time, and everyone else’s by writing pointless sarcastic comments, which this site is classic for. I’m done derailing the true point of thread and won’t respond to you again.

That preliminary ERAS data is concerning. ~200 more US gas applicants; an increase of 3.1 applications/applicant; and a increase of 80 more applications/program. All the biggest increases in a cursory glance at the ~10 years of data in the set.

That preliminary ERAS data is concerning. ~200 more US gas applicants; an increase of 3.1 applications/applicant; and a increase of 80 more applications/program. All the biggest increases in a cursory glance at the ~10 years of data in the set.

Could you post a link to this data please?

Isn’t there an increase in programs though with the merger? Wondering if those stats are including DOs that would have otherwise been AOA only..

Damn scary. However, after eye balling it looks like there’s an increase of apps across the board. At this point might as well chill out and roll the dice. Also I think the number is inflated at this point because plenty of ppl dual apply and withdraw their app later.

Just got an interview with only waitlist available on thalamus..has anyone had this issue also? what do I do other than putting myself on thalamus waitlist?

Just got my 5th interview . Stats : usimg step 1 -243 passed step 2 cs first attempt . Step 2 ck - still waiting for scores :rofl:

Just got an interview with only waitlist available on thalamus..has anyone had this issue also? what do I do other than putting myself on thalamus waitlist?
I had this happen. I just wait list of all the days including days where I already had interviews. They send you an email when a position becomes available. You just have to log on really quickly and hope somebody else hasn’t picked it up. The reason I waitlisted days I already had scheduled was in case I could reschedule one of those through thalamus. It’s all right you will get an interview

Damn scary. However, after eye balling it looks like there’s an increase of apps across the board. At this point might as well chill out and roll the dice. Also I think the number is inflated at this point because plenty of ppl dual apply and withdraw their app later.

It looks like a combination of anesthesiology being more competitive this year, and the merger increasing the number of applications now in the ACGME pool.

Looking at the increase in psychiatry last year (1691 to 1973 in 2018), anesthesiology has a jump this year of 1802 to 2058 in 2019. That’s not as large as the psychiatry jump last year, but it’s in the ballpark.

The “good” news is that anesthesiology had an increase of around 170 US applicants from 2017 to 2018, yet the 2018 NRMP matching results were still favorable, even having programs that didn’t fill. So I think it will be a tougher match this year but not to the point to where we are this year’s version of the “2018 psychiatry uptick”

Yikes, I was planning on canceling some of my interviews because I feel semi-confidant in 3 of mine, but might just go to them to hit that #10 to be safe.

Just got a WVU is full at the moment, if spots open up in future we might invite you (soft reject?)

And a Brigham and Women's rejection right now

Last edited:

That’s where I am at now. Had probably 6 notifications and never been fast enough. It seems impossible at this point unless I pay a friend or family member to spend their whole day waiting on my notifications to sign up. My school has required rotations so I can’t stare at my phone all day

Thanks for the info. Luckily the PC reached out via email and gave me several dates to choose from. Confirmed with a Jan interview at the end which is better than being waitlisted

I had this happen. I just wait list of all the days including days where I already had interviews. They send you an email when a position becomes available. You just have to log on really quickly and hope somebody else hasn’t picked it up. The reason I waitlisted days I already had scheduled was in case I could reschedule one of those through thalamus. It’s all right you will get an interview

Man that sucks...it's like an interview in limbo. I got lucky today but best of luck with you

That’s where I am at now. Had probably 6 notifications and never been fast enough. It seems impossible at this point unless I pay a friend or family member to spend their whole day waiting on my notifications to sign up. My school has required rotations so I can’t stare at my phone all day

Just a flurry of rejections today.

Did anyone hear back from U of Chicago after emailing them back your preferred dates? I might have annoyed them too much with my change of preferred dates :(

Brigham rejection :(
Was honestly really hoping to interview there and thought I might get one. Not sure if because Step 1 too low for them (246) or because no significant research. Oh well lol life goes on

Not sure, are they D.O. friendly? Maybe a regional thing? I've done school only in California, so maybe that?
Based on their residents list, seems like they do appear to have a regional bias

Based on their residents list, seems like they do appear to have a regional bias

Most programs have a regional bias. With so many applications there’s no way to filter with scores alone. There’s a regional filter in place just for that.

For people freaking out about waitlist movement, it’s a real thing. Many many people cancel even when interviews are in full swing.
People get interview fatigue. People realize how expensive it gets. And you get a general sense of what you want in a program with more interviews you do. All this results in a lot of cancellations.

From my current interviews (I’m at 10), the dates fluctuate every few days so movement is there. Just not as fast as everyone perceives it to be.

If the PD at the end your interview with him says "I hope you'll consider our institution when
Waitlisted at Beth Israel
Same...
Just a flurry of rejections today.

Did anyone hear back from U of Chicago after emailing them back your preferred dates? I might have annoyed them too much with my change of preferred dates :(
I got a confirmation from them for my confirmed date.

Most programs have a regional bias. With so many applications there’s no way to filter with scores alone. There’s a regional filter in place just for that.

For people freaking out about waitlist movement, it’s a real thing. Many many people cancel even when interviews are in full swing.
People get interview fatigue. People realize how expensive it gets. And you get a general sense of what you want in a program with more interviews you do. All this results in a lot of cancellations.

From my current interviews (I’m at 10), the dates fluctuate every few days so movement is there. Just not as fast as everyone perceives it to be.
I have to say, agreed. I have a classmate, applying to Uro. Already been on 9 interviews. Says he has a couple more invites, but he honestly just does not want to go on more.

Also, judging by previous years spreadsheets, some people can end up getting interviews into pretty seeming-late territory? At least, that's the glass-half-full mindset I'm trying to focus on

As

As in you got an invite and there are only waitlist-able days left on Thalamus?
No, this one was different. Basically along the lines of... we have a full interview list at the moment but we have added very qualified applicants to an internal waitlist in which we will be pulling from if people cancel. It was actually quite nice because they said many of their residents have come from the waitlist in the past.