Official 2018-2019 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sent a LOI to my top program over a month ago specifically to the PC. Didn’t hear anything. Should I assume it’s a lost cause and move on or should I resend another email explicitly saying they’re my #1? I don’t want to burn bridges.. I just have no ties to the area and feel my LOI was lacking in why I genuinely like the program.

Members don't see this ad.

Sent a LOI to my top program over a month ago specifically to the PC. Didn’t hear anything. Should I assume it’s a lost cause and move on or should I resend another email explicitly saying they’re my #1? I don’t want to burn bridges.. I just have no ties to the area and feel my LOI was lacking in why I genuinely like the program.
Look around to see if the email is legit. For a small and new program I applied to, the ERAS email wasn't even the one that appeared on the ACGME website (?!), so I emailed all 3 (ERAS-listed email + the PC and PD emails that appeared on the ACGME site) ... and I got a response from the PC email from the ACGME site

Alternatively, they straight up simply didn't acknowledge it. I might be trying to connect dots that aren't there, but I've had luck a response (whether good or bad) when I send an email early in the week (Mon/Tues/Wed) and before noon. The couple I've sent after lunch (i.e. post 12pm), or on a Thursday/Friday? Radio silence.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know anything about program strength, etc of University of Missouri- Kansas City or LSU in Shreveport? There is no info on either of them from this year's or last year's Google Doc. I've done all the digging I can on their respective websites but that only gets a person so far.

Reactions: 1 user

Call them on the phone - more immediate results, especially since you already emailed.
I wouldn't mention anything about being #1, you could say "One of the top programs I was interested in" or something along those lines, but you don't want to come off as too over-eager at this stage in the game before you even have an interview with them.
Good luck!!

Does anyone know anything about program strength, etc of University of Missouri- Kansas City or LSU in Shreveport? There is no info on either of them from this year's or last year's Google Doc. I've done all the digging I can on their respective websites but that only gets a person so far.
Hey PM me for UMKC info. I have pretty close ties and can give you some insight. I noticed your messaging ability is not turned on.

Re UMKC from anonymous:

"I think there was some negatives surrounding the program for a handful of years due to a revolving door of PDs and concerns with a few residents and maybe some stuff regarding board pass rates.

"It seems now that things have been put in place within the past 2 years with the hiring of Dr Suyderhoud as the dept chair and Dr Duncan as the PD. They’re both solid and great for Saint Lukes and it looks like they’ve definitely turned the corner as they’re both pretty resident-focused and incredibly nice.

"The hospital (Saint Lukes) is a really nice, clean, moderate-sized private hospital and has a great blend of private and academics. They do work pretty hard but I didn’t get the vibe of a workhorse program. It’s pretty small in size with 6 categorical residents per year and they’re DO and IMG friendly which may lead to a perception of “lower tier”. I disagree with that sentiment but its because I have spent 1 month there and found it to be pretty laid back, non cut-throat, and people in the hospital are just nice."

Just a Reminder to everyone, please throw in some IV impression.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any thoughts on UAB vs Wake?? In terms of reputation, location, etc...
Want to drop one of them as I don't want to fly to both.

Anyone have any thoughts on UAB vs Wake?? In terms of reputation, location, etc...
Want to drop one of them as I don't want to fly to both.

Go to wake. Alot of people complain about UAB location. Wake is located near two good airports and a good job market

Flight got cancelled fffuuuuuuuuuu
I got stuck on the tarmac at my connection to my CCF interview and missed my flight to Cleveland. I emailed them immediately and first thing in the morning they emailed me back to reschedule my interview for another date while I flew back home. I think programs are very understanding.

Anybody interview at St Elizabeth in Mass? There’s no real info on the program

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Maimonides (NY)
Not to sound entitled, but Maimonides did not even fill half of their slots in 2017 and 2015. Didn’t think they would be in the position to reject US MD applicants w/ avg to above avg stats and no red flags.

Weird flex, but ok.

Not to sound entitled, but Maimonides did not even fill half of their slots in 2017 and 2015. Didn’t think they would be in the position to reject US MD applicants w/ avg to above avg stats and no red flags.

Weird flex, but ok.

they want those ENT-soapers

Weird flex, but ok.
I mean with that kind of history, they might want to not waste time interviewing "US MD applicants w/ avg to above avg stats and no red flags" since those most likely are using them as safety. Their energy and resources are better spent interviewing the less than stellar candidates that have a greater chance of matching at their program.

Their energy and resources are better spent interviewing the less than stellar candidates that have a greater chance of matching at their program.
Correct. I'm a US MD with regional ties (i.e. ties to Nyc), but with <215 step 1 (and equally unimpressive CK), and they sent an II pretty early. I think they know their target applicant demographic

Anybody else not heard anything yet from MGH? Hoping i'm still on some sort of waitlist.

Hi everyone! Does anyone know what time the interview ends at Detroit Medical Center?

Really feeling like I'm not going to get any more IVs. It's been a month since my last one lol

Seems quiet for many, the excel hasnt seen much activity.... whether that means not much is happening or people stopped caring to report, I am not sure..

Hey everyone. I really hope interviewing is going well, people are staying positive, and more so that everyone’s being good to each other. I’ve met a lot of you and just wanted to say that for the most part everyone’s been nice and I would be really happy to match with some of you.

However as a side note, I just want to urge caution on the advice, impresssions, or really anything on the EXCEL sheet. I was fortunate to do 3 away rotations in anesthesia and happened to notice that literally every place I did an away at had an extremely negative review in the impressions section to just straight blatant lies about the program. I understand if you didn’t like a program, but some of the info is just plain wrong. Take everything with either a grain of salt, or maybe even perhaps the entire Dead Seas quantity of salt.

Anyways. Keep up the good work everyone. Hope everyone has a good turkey day or can atleast find time to just chill for a few days and get off SDN and ERAS for a few.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone. I really hope interviewing is going well, people are staying positive, and more so that everyone’s being good to each other. I’ve met a lot of you and just wanted to say that for the most part everyone’s been nice and I would be really happy to match with some of you.

However as a side note, I just want to urge caution on the advice, impresssions, or really anything on the EXCEL sheet. I was fortunate to do 3 away rotations in anesthesia and happened to notice that literally every place I did an away at had an extremely negative review in the impressions section to just straight blatant lies about the program. I understand if you didn’t like a program, but some of the info is just plain wrong. Take everything with either a grain of salt, or maybe even perhaps the entire Dead Seas quantity of salt.

Anyways. Keep up the good work everyone. Hope everyone has a good turkey day or can atleast find time to just chill for a few days and get off SDN and ERAS for a few.

To an extent this is true, I’ve also had the opposite experience were the program is “ great “ but on iv day I just got a completely different vibe . It’s very subjective.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just throwing this out there. I woke up with an II this morning to a mid-tier mid-west program. First in over a month. I’m an aggressively average applicant and haven’t sent LOIs.

Just saying stuff is still happening, if slowly.

Reactions: 2 users
So I rotated at a program a handful of months ago and the PD told me I should get an interview from them but haven't heard anything yet. I sent a LOI to the coordinator about 3-4 wks ago since 1 of the other visiting students got an II but never heard anything from that LOI. Should I just give up hope on that program or send another LOI? I'm sitting on 9 invites and would love to have a chance with this program but I also don't want to receive a pity invite that will be a waste of their time and mine.

So I rotated at a program a handful of months ago and the PD told me I should get an interview from them but haven't heard anything yet. I sent a LOI to the coordinator about 3-4 wks ago since 1 of the other visiting students got an II but never heard anything from that LOI. Should I just give up hope on that program or send another LOI? I'm sitting on 9 invites and would love to have a chance with this program but I also don't want to receive a pity invite that will be a waste of their time and mine.

If it’s your top place I would go for it and be aggressive. You are set with 9 invites at this point so what else is there to lose? I would definitely call though at this point.

I got my first rejection from a program I reached out to and it hurts so bad.
They were all excited about my interest when I initially contacted them so
I low key got my hopes up.

I got my first rejection from a program I reached out to and it hurts so bad.
They were all excited about my interest when I initially contacted them so
I low key got my hopes up.
It's always the ones that get your hopes up the most. Didn't know my ex was a PD for some of these programs :unsure:

Reactions: 2 users
Bye Duke. I know this wasn’t a mutual relationship but I loved you. Maybe in a few years you’ll change your mind.

Reactions: 1 users