Official 2018-2019 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know when
Hopkins, UCLA harbor, temple, UCLA Geffen and UNC interview until?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know when

I have an interview at Hopkins on 1/8. I think I remember there being a date or two after mine m.

Does anyone know when
UCLA Harbor has two remaining dates- Jan 9 and Jan 16. Whether these dates have any availability I cannot say, but the invite date schedule only has those two left as programmed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally got the courage to cancel a few interviews, Hope they trickle down to those really wanting them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone comment on the Cleveland Clinic in Weston Florida? New program, only 5 residents a year. Any pros/cons? How much weight does the Cleveland clinic name really carry?

Can anyone comment on the Cleveland Clinic in Weston Florida? New program, only 5 residents a year. Any pros/cons? How much weight does the Cleveland clinic name really carry?
Just like the Mount Sinai hospital in Miami Beach, it's a connection in name only. Cleveland Clinic Florida has a large volume of patients, but don't expect more from it than that.

Anyone ranking programs that they didn’t interview at a prelim for ? One applicant did this last year and matched there after he failed to match em but now is on the gas train. So my question is, say we apply for adv spot and rank the prelims for it but we didn’t interview there, so pre lim places just rank everyone who applied ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anyone ranking programs that they didn’t interview at a prelim for ? One applicant did this last year and matched there after he failed to match em but now is on the gas train. So my question is, say we apply for adv spot and rank the prelims for it but we didn’t interview there, so pre lim places just rank everyone who applied ?

I would say one should go ahead and rank the prelim even if he/she did not go and interview over there. That prelim may have ranked you at the very bottom of their rank list since you didn't go there for the interview. There is a chance you could match there.

That’s pretty awesome that he happened to match there without actually interviewing for the prelim spot, meanwhile the prelim still ranked him. I never knew prelim spots might rank candidates that didn’t interview for the actual prelim spot.

Definitely couldn’t hurt to rank those programs that you didn’t interview at for prelim, just in case they might have ranked you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say one should go ahead and rank the prelim even if he/she did not go and interview over there. That prelim may have ranked you at the very bottom of their rank list since you didn't go there for the interview. There is a chance you could match there.

are you saying if you applied to a program but never got an interview, still rank them?

are you saying if you applied to a program but never got an interview, still rank them?
I am saying you applied to the program, got an interview invite, but never went for the interview. You could potentially match there, assuming they ranked you based on your strong stats, and if everyone above you in the program's rank order list matched somewhere else, and you being bottom of the list were still able to match there because no one else would want to go there

I am saying you applied to the program, got an interview invite, but never went for the interview. You could potentially match there, assuming they ranked you based on your strong stats, and if everyone above you in the program's rank order list matched somewhere else, and you being bottom of the list were still able to match there because no one else would want to go there
Ohhhhhhhhhhh ok, I was confused for a minute. I was thinking this is a whole new world of possibilities! I was about to rank UCLA number one, even though they've ignored my 62 emails and phone calls. They love me, they just dont know it yet :)

Can programs rank students who haven’t interviewed?

Anyone apply to U Tennessee prelim med get their email today by chance?

Anyone here get emails from Dartmouth after interviews? I didnt but a friend of mine did. I was going to rank it highly.... :(

Anyone here get emails from Dartmouth after interviews? I didnt but a friend of mine did. I was going to rank it highly.... :(

Makes no sense to not rank them highly anyway. It's by your preference, I don't understand why so many medical students have problems understanding this very simple concept.

Reactions: 3 users
Makes no sense to not rank them highly anyway. It's by your preference, I don't understand why so many medical students have problems understanding this very simple concept.

For real...

In case anyone needs a reminder...

Yes, I understand the concept.... Just felt a little down knowing other peeps got thank yous, invitations to second look, and being told their interviews went really well. To me, it implied that they may not think i am the best fit for the program.

I'd rather match to a program that I like and also the program sees me as a strong fit too.

Hi guys, for the next two weeks, I'm in the area (rather, back home) for a program I'm going to rank highly (family ties, cultural ties, and other reasons). I was thinking of asking about a second look. Does anyone in Anesthesia do this? Would it seem weird? I guess I'm just interested in seeing more of a "day in the life" or getting some more one-on-one time to ask questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys, for the next two weeks, I'm in the area (rather, back home) for a program I'm going to rank highly (family ties, cultural ties, and other reasons). I was thinking of asking about a second look. Does anyone in Anesthesia do this? Would it seem weird? I guess I'm just interested in seeing more of a "day in the life" or getting some more one-on-one time to ask questions.

Ask. Its not uncommon.

I did it , they were more than welcoming of the idea. The day was more of a shadowing experience with one of the people that interviewed me, the Pd was bounced to a different hospital last minute . Met more resident , for a feel for it . The resident I was with mainly said they do factor that into consideration and said he’d throw some praise my way to the Pd. We’ll see what happens .

I did it , they were more than welcoming of the idea. The day was more of a shadowing experience with one of the people that interviewed me, the Pd was bounced to a different hospital last minute . Met more resident , for a feel for it . The resident I was with mainly said they do factor that into consideration and said he’d throw some praise my way to the Pd. We’ll see what happens .

This is different from what I was told about 2nd look. For the most of the programs I interviewed, they said second look has absolutely no effect on their ranking. It’s more for the applicant to see if they will fit in with the program. So I think it’s program specific.

I can give you some limited insight from mine and friend's experiences on committees and say it varies between institutions. Where I did residency it did not matter at all. Two of my friends' programs are different. At one it does contribute somewhat to the "score" as a sort of tie-breaker between similar individuals if applicable. At another (which I think likely reflect how more programs than my prior two comments) it makes the individual's application get read over again by a PD or PD-like individuals, and was felt within the program to be useful for borderline individuals, but it ultimately didn't change who their "favorites" were or who they felt they did not desire in their program.

My two cents would be not to do a second look unless you genuinely feel you would benefit from doing one, don't do it as some Machiavellian play.

Hello all, I hope everyone is finding some time to relax during this holiday season. I have a couple questions I hope you can help with.

1. I had to delay CK a little later than I wanted and my score won't be back until the first week of February. Do you think this is too late to update programs and do you think it will effect my ranking? Basically how early do programs make their list before the deadline? If they finish interviews mid-January, do they make the list right away, or is it a more prolonged process. I know it's impossible to know for sure but if anyone has any insight I would appreciate it!

2. When would you send emails/call your top choice? A month before rank lists are due or closer like a week before? Just wondering everyone's thoughts.

Thanks!

My two cents would be not to do a second look unless you genuinely feel you would benefit from doing one, don't do it as some Machiavellian play.
I mean, at the end of my interview, I had asked the PD about a second look, and they explicitly stated it wouldn't impact any sort of ranking as they "rank" you before the day is over.

I just have some free time, and figure it wouldn't hurt getting some idea of "a day in the life of" at that hospital

Can anyone give insight into what programs are still interviewing?

Can anyone give insight into what programs are still interviewing?
I can tell you for certain that Tulane, case western reserve UH, and Maine are in January. I know UTSW interviews throughout January as well. Thats all I've got for ya.

Last edited:
I'd imagine many programs still have January spots, just gotta call and/or email and hope they like you enough? :-/

I got another gas and prelim interview a couple days ago. I’m at 11 Gas and 6 prelim invites. Nrmp stats are looking good for match let’s goooo

Reactions: 4 users