Official 2018-2019 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Very true. Just trying to point out that not every interviewer will read each person’s LoRs and thus red flags can be missed there.
Actually, you were specifically saying that the program as a whole didn't read your letters. And for that reason a red flag could be missed...

"You’d be surprised how many programs don’t filter their applicants for some of those red flags, especially Letters of Recommendation. Pretty sure over half of the programs I’ve interviewed at hadn’t read my LoRs"

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, you were specifically saying that the program as a whole didn't read your letters. And for that reason a red flag could be missed...

"You’d be surprised how many programs don’t filter their applicants for some of those red flags, especially Letters of Recommendation. Pretty sure over half of the programs I’ve interviewed at hadn’t read my LoRs"

I thought replying “very true” to your previous post would infer that I agreed with you and I was mistaken. Yes, there is no way to know that the whole program did not read my letters, as I only know of certain interviewers that did not read them.

When the data mentions contiguous ranks, does it mean programs or ranks? For example if I rank categorical and advanced at two different programs, does that count as two or four?

Members don't see this ad :)
When the data mentions contiguous ranks, does it mean programs or ranks? For example if I rank categorical and advanced at two different programs, does that count as two or four?

Does the word “ranks” mean “programs,” or “ranks.” Im gonna let you think about that one yourself for a bit.

Reactions: 1 user
As for Temple, clinically strong program with good cardiac exposure, transplants and trm. Most grads (6/8) going for fellowship this year (CHOP, MassGen, Cornell, Texas Heart and Beth Israel). DM if you have more questions.
How do I get an interview there? Do they have regional bias

Hi 3rd year DO student here. I have dumb questions about what to do with 4th year. What is the general strategy for 4th year ? My shallow understanding so far is this... do some away rotations in some reach programs that you plan on applying in the beginning of the year... and finish the core rotations that your school requires in the end of the year.

The 2nd part is about what are my chances with programs in the West coast and NYC area ? Step 1: 229. Comlex 1 : 574. Step 2/comlex 2: not taken yet. I am from CA originally and my school is in NYC, would those affiliations help ?

Thanks !

How do I get an interview there? Do they have regional bias
As you know american MS at the advice of some deans have gone cray-cray on the number of programs that they apply to. I have heard as high as 80 this year. This creates a pool of applicants that is difficult to screen and some programs try to discern from applicants with a shotgun approach (that might end up cnacelling or low ranking) from someone with a real interest. I dont think that there is a bias per see but try to epxlain your interest in the NE, your roots to the area or what makes you go there in an email to these programs. Try to sound genuine.

Hi 3rd year DO student here. I have dumb questions about what to do with 4th year. What is the general strategy for 4th year ? My shallow understanding so far is this... do some away rotations in some reach programs that you plan on applying in the beginning of the year... and finish the core rotations that your school requires in the end of the year.

The 2nd part is about what are my chances with programs in the West coast and NYC area ? Step 1: 229. Comlex 1 : 574. Step 2/comlex 2: not taken yet. I am from CA originally and my school is in NYC, would those affiliations help ?

Thanks !
Yep, apply for away rotations at a couple reaches and a couple places congruent with your score. Do 1-2 aways, preferably in July-August, but even September-October is fine. Rest of the year just do whatever rotations are easiest and will fulfill your credits. Interview season is November-December mostly, so do something light those months to allow travel time.

As for your competitiveness, the west coast will be a reach. California will be pretty hard to get into IMO. I’m a DO with 238/248 from the west coast and I got a couple interviews over here, but mostly in the Midwest. Your score is basically average for anesthesia, so have realistic expectations that you will get invites at middle/low tier programs. There are lots of east coast programs you would get invites at being in NYC though.

Yep, apply for away rotations at a couple reaches and a couple places congruent with your score. Do 1-2 aways, preferably in July-August, but even September-October is fine. Rest of the year just do whatever rotations are easiest and will fulfill your credits. Interview season is November-December mostly, so do something light those months to allow travel time.

As for your competitiveness, the west coast will be a reach. California will be pretty hard to get into IMO. I’m a DO with 238/248 from the west coast and I got a couple interviews over here, but mostly in the Midwest. Your score is basically average for anesthesia, so have realistic expectations that you will get invites at middle/low tier programs. There are lots of east coast programs you would get invites at being in NYC though.

Sent you a PM rather than derailing the thread

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats the one I got

Thank you for applying to Loyola University - Department of Anesthesiology. The Selection Committee reviewed your application and has decided not to offer you an interview. We wish you good luck

Thats the one I got

Thank you for applying to Loyola University - Department of Anesthesiology. The Selection Committee reviewed your application and has decided not to offer you an interview. We wish you good luck

I don’t see what’s disrespectful about it, just seems short and to the point (I got the same rejection)

Reactions: 4 users
I don’t see what’s disrespectful about it, just seems short and to the point (I got the same rejection)
I need to see things more like you do. I was definitely crushed when I received my rejection.

Reactions: 1 users
I need to see things more like you do. I was definitely crushed when I received my rejection.

I think the combo of it being bluntly written plus Loyola traditionally interviewing a lot of people with low scores as well as imgs made it seem more harsh. I know a lot of people, myself included, were expecting to hear from them based on previous years stats. This has happened to me with a few different programs and everything seems more random. Imo it’s because of all the extra applicants and extra applications per applicant.

I think the combo of it being bluntly written plus Loyola traditionally interviewing a lot of people with low scores as well as imgs made it seem more harsh. I know a lot of people, myself included, were expecting to hear from them based on previous years stats. This has happened to me with a few different programs and everything seems more random. Imo it’s because of all the extra applicants and extra applications per applicant.

this is EXACTLY how i'm feeling. It's worse when i get a rejection from a place that people turn down because of geography and I was really hoping to check it out for the area...looking at you Vermont and Maine.

Reactions: 2 users
I only have 7 interviews and was forced to cancel one because I got a last minute invite to a school I would much rather go to. This process really sucks, I wish there wasn't so much overlap with dates. I'm so grateful for every interview I've fought so hard for (sent at least 3 letters of interest to multiple schools who continue to ignore me, 1/7 success rate haha) and to have to choose between 2 was torture. There was no other day I could've chosen and neither program interviews in January, this was the last date for both :( I really hope cancelling opens up a spot for one of you, best of luck!

I only have 7 interviews and was forced to cancel one because I got a last minute invite to a school I would much rather go to. This process really sucks, I wish there wasn't so much overlap with dates. I'm so grateful for every interview I've fought so hard for (sent at least 3 letters of interest to multiple schools who continue to ignore me, 1/7 success rate haha) and to have to choose between 2 was torture. There was no other day I could've chosen and neither program interviews in January, this was the last date for both :( I really hope cancelling opens up a spot for one of you, best of luck!

Ditto got one late. Have to choose btw adv on the coast vs middle of nowhere categorical slot. I’m gonna cancel the adv spot :/

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm about to drop a few interviews. Good luck everybody!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm about to drop a few interviews. Good luck everybody!
Kudos to you for thinking responsibly and dropping a few, you don't need them and there are others who need them badly.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone with interviews at:
Maryland
Northwestern
u Chicago

Can you tell me if they have dates in January. About to call some programs.

Just got an email from my school about ordering our caps and gowns. It’s getting real guys!

Hi everyone, hope everyone is looking forward to some Christmas family time and a much needed break from all the interview travels. Just had a quick question for ya'll, do most programs require Step 2 CS scores in for Ranking?

Hi everyone, hope everyone is looking forward to some Christmas family time and a much needed break from all the interview travels. Just had a quick question for ya'll, do most programs require Step 2 CS scores in for Ranking?
Also wondering this

UCSF certainly does, but I haven't been able to find any info for other programs

I've been on the BID waitlist for legit months now :rofl:

BID is definitely using its waitlist as spots open up though! I got pulled from it not too long ago. Chins up, peeps.

Getting rejected from places I don't even remember applying to :)

Reactions: 3 users