Official 2018 SHPEP thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's awesome! Yeah UF was my dream school until about a month ago when I found out they accept 98% in state students and only 2% out of state students. They're 2nd to only East Carolina in terms of not accepting OOS students, East Carolina accepts 100% instate and no OOS students haha. Now Temple and LECOM are the schools im aiming for, my in state schools.
Ah that's cool! Yea I noticed they're not OOS friendly and its all in state. I'm a FL resident so I wanna go there because it's a great school and super cheap! But it's gonna be lit there's a few LSU dentals on here

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone attending UT Health Houston! I am reminding y'all again that there is a group me that you can join and start getting to know each other. It doesn't allow me to post the link here so you need to message me your email!
( I'm sure you wanna know me becuase my mom says I am funny, JK ).

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone going to western and have any questions let me know i did the program for medical last year

Anyone going to western and have any questions let me know i did the program for medical last year

Hey! What was memorable about the program and what clinical rotations did you do?

OMG I was so worried and thought that I got rejected to all the sites because at midnight all my sites said “In Review”.

I checked every hour since I woke up this morning and my status page FINALLY updated!!!!

Nebraska: Accepted
Iowa: Waitlisted
Florida: Rejected

I was eating lunch at a food court and I tried so hard to not scream!! I’m going for dental :) CONGRATS EVERYONE and for those who are still waiting anxiously, YOU WILL ALL GET IN!!
I did dental at Nebraska last year. they have great program. all o the other med an nursing students were so jealous of the dental students because the dental school spoiled us. if u have any questions let me know!

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck to everyone!!! Was just Curious as to who is going to Columbia for "Medical" this summer. lol if so, we should all get a group going hahah.
Sophomore: 3.92 GPA
Louisiana: Accepted
Houston: Accepted
Columbia: Accepted and Confirmed

Reactions: 3 users
anyone going to UW there's a Facebook group, please add yourself! it doesn't allow the link to be posted here for some reason lol

So is Tuesday the day that we get notified if we got a spot (if we're on the wait list) or could it take longer than that? I have to register for my summer classes soon and I need to know whether or not I should register.

The website says that's the day they'll start accepting people from the waitlist, so not sure if it'll be all at once or some people at a time...

If anybody is waiting on the waitlist for Texas or Rutgers, the site is full. I know some people who applied and said the site was full.

So is Tuesday the day that we get notified if we got a spot (if we're on the wait list) or could it take longer than that? I have to register for my summer classes soon and I need to know whether or not I should register.

I called them and they said that sites would start accepting people March 20 and till the end of the month...

Members don't see this ad :)
hello all!
I'm late to the party but I was rejected LSU and columbia medical, but accepted at UT

Good luck to everyone!!! Was just Curious as to who is going to Columbia for "Medical" this summer. lol if so, we should all get a group going hahah.
Congrats!!! Just curious, are you truly an Underrepresented Minority? Your high GPA is stellar, but I know the program wants more than that in terms of demographics. Just curious to know how you got in with a 3.9...I know someone with a 4.0 GPA who didnt get into any of the three choices.

Hello! Is anyone doing the SHPEP program at Rutgers?

Waiting for UF response (medical) let’s hope for the best for all!

Reactions: 2 users

Hey!!! I'll be attending Columbia as well but for PT. But I would be interested in getting a group started.

I would register for your classes since from what I know, getting off the waitlist is slim. Usually, most schools give you a refund if you drop early enough so I would just secure a spot in the class if it was possible.

I applied to UT and mine said site full for a few hours then I was bumped to the waitlist. I think it depends on your own application. If any site is full as of now, it will most likely be updated tomorrow.
If anybody is waiting on the waitlist for Texas or Rutgers, the site is full. I know some people who applied and said the site was full.

Did anyone else get into Western U? Is there a fb page too I wanna start meeting people :D

I just checked and it still says waitlisted. Am I the only one?

Congrats!!! Just curious, are you truly an Underrepresented Minority? Your high GPA is stellar, but I know the program wants more than that in terms of demographics. Just curious to know how you got in with a 3.9...I know someone with a 4.0 GPA who didnt get into any of the three choices.
Sorry to hear about your friend... It might be due a collection of things such as GPA, Recommendation letters, and essays..

Hi! I got into my top 3 but I chose UF because I'm from NY. I'm medical. If you guys make a groupchat please add me.

For my waitlisted people, please do NOT give up hope!! Keep pushing! I was waitlisted to the program last year for Columbia (top choice) and ended up never getting accepted after reading that their site was full. This year, I reapplied and got waitlisted to two programs, yet still was not accepted to Columbia. It was hard to pick myself back up after this year's (and last year's) decisions. This past weekend, I was even beginning to make alternative plans for this summer if things hadn't turned out right. But afterall, I got accepted to the program that had waitlisted me (Rutgers). I even got in with over 60 credits! So please, dont give up hope! Even though some may not have been accepted, there are such grand opportunities like these, waiting for you in the near future (sooner than you think!).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
For my waitlisted people, please do NOT give up hope!! Keep pushing! I was waitlisted to the program last year for Columbia (top choice) and ended up never getting accepted after reading that their site was full. This year, I reapplied and got waitlisted to two programs, yet still was not accepted to Columbia. It was hard to pick myself back up after this year's (and last year's) decisions. This past weekend, I was even beginning to make alternative plans for this summer if things hadn't turned out right. But afterall, I got accepted to the program that had waitlisted me (Rutgers). Dont give up hope! Even though some may not have been accepted, there are such grand opportunities like these, waiting for you in the near future (sooner than you think!).
Thanks for this! Still waiting! (UF)

Just curious, did last year's admission cycle give an option to choose 3 program sites? I remember just being given one option to choose as a program. It seems like this year they started giving three options.

Just curious, did last year's admission cycle give an option to choose 3 program sites? I remember just being given one option to choose as a program. It seems like this year they started giving three options.
Yes it was three options.

Woo hoo! So there’s still hope!
I was accepted in UF for medical, but declined the offer because I got into a Duke Summer Program. I hope they give you my spot bro!

Tips for Future Applicants:

- get your application done ASAP. Some spots were taken months before the deadline. I found this to be the most frustrating fact.

- if you see “site is full,” it’s not the end of the line just yet. I was shown that for one program and then after a few hours, I was moved to the waitlist.

-if you get waitlisted, call and email program coordinators and make sure they know your name and that you’re still interested. Tell them why you fit this program’s meaning.

-if you have many accomplishments, don’t fret. I had a 4.0 GPA with lots of experience, and I was still considered and wasn’t totally rejected from my sites immediately.

My status for UT went from site full, to waitlist, and to accepted. Don’t give up hope, do your best. It’s possible!

My stats:

4.0 GPA, 1 LOR from a researcher who was my professor, outstanding ECs, and prior health experience as a licensed nurse.

Good luck.

Reactions: 4 users
For my waitlisted people, please do NOT give up hope!! Keep pushing! I was waitlisted to the program last year for Columbia (top choice) and ended up never getting accepted after reading that their site was full. This year, I reapplied and got waitlisted to two programs, yet still was not accepted to Columbia. It was hard to pick myself back up after this year's (and last year's) decisions. This past weekend, I was even beginning to make alternative plans for this summer if things hadn't turned out right. But afterall, I got accepted to the program that had waitlisted me (Rutgers). I even got in with over 60 credits! So please, dont give up hope! Even though some may not have been accepted, there are such grand opportunities like these, waiting for you in the near future (sooner than you think!).

did the status just change to accepted or did they email you ? congrats !!!

Columbia told me that they would email individuals off the waitlist so nobody was cut short if too many people were offered a position. It was my status on AAMC that showed UT accepted me from the waitlist.
did the status just change to accepted or did they email you ? congrats !!!

Columbia told me that they would email individuals off the waitlist so nobody was cut short if too many people were offered a position. It was my status on AAMC that showed UT accepted me from the waitlist.
thanks!