USMLE Official 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As 2018 approaches and people are starting to rev up for their CK studying I figured I would start the 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread.

As always please follow all of the forum / NBME / USMLE etc.. rules and regulations when posting.

My dedicated starts tomorrow, have about 6 weeks to study over the holidays. Hoping for a 250 +, scored a 26x on step 1.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam in 2018!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Sadly it's going to be a long 32 day wait!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
You know, they say that the scores are guaranteed to be released on August 29th. That post made it seem like it was testing center dependent, so I have my fingers crossed that it'll be sooner...

Took Step 2 CK yesterday. Honestly worried because it didn’t feel as horrible as I expected based on what people have said lol. Don’t get me wrong it was VERY tough, but also felt doable at times. Lots of random thing i’ve never seen and down to 2 answer questions, but felt okay at the end.

I was all over the place on practice tests (271 UWSA1, 251 UWSA2), so no real clue where I stand. Just hoping for above average at this point I guess. Will update when scores release (scary lol)
Took it a few days ago and feel exactly the same way. It was super tough, but not OMG i failed. More like omg Im aiming for 250+ but now i feel like 220s. And we have similar scores (260s UWSA1 and 250s UWSA2). So YES, I am concerned lol. Hopefully the curve wont be too harsh. Anyone felt the same way, did it, and got their scores back?

Reactions: 1 user
You know, they say that the scores are guaranteed to be released on August 29th. That post made it seem like it was testing center dependent, so I have my fingers crossed that it'll be sooner...

My interpretation was that our scores resume in order of taking it on the 29th? Or is it on the 29th on the spot?

Members don't see this ad :)
Took it today and felt like I got run over by a freight train despite really good practice test scores. Boy, this will be a long month waiting for the score to come back..

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Hey All!
I am 1 year out from Step 2, any advice on when to start studying for this exam? what resources are best?, so far Online med Ed, UW, and anything else?

My interpretation was that our scores resume in order of taking it on the 29th? Or is it on the 29th on the spot?
I guess I interpreted it as our scores being released by August 29th. It would be pretty terrible of them to make us wait the additional 3-4 weeks after that....

Hey All!
I am 1 year out from Step 2, any advice on when to start studying for this exam? what resources are best?, so far Online med Ed, UW, and anything else?
Use OME during rotations to do well on your shelf exams/supplement your learning. I would read up on 1-2 of your patients for about an hour per night. I would do UWorld questions specific to the rotation you are on and try to finish that section, and mix in some medicine questions since those are the majority on there (~1500). I also used DIT for Step 2, but I haven't gotten my scores back and cannot comment on how effective it was at this point.

I guess I interpreted it as our scores being released by August 29th. It would be pretty terrible of them to make us wait the additional 3-4 weeks after that....

Use OME during rotations to do well on your shelf exams/supplement your learning. I would read up on 1-2 of your patients for about an hour per night. I would do UWorld questions specific to the rotation you are on and try to finish that section, and mix in some medicine questions since those are the majority on there (~1500). I also used DIT for Step 2, but I haven't gotten my scores back and cannot comment on how effective it was at this point.

In either regard, I think i'll spend the next couple of weeks remembering questions that I got incorrect for stupid reasons lol.

In either regard, I think i'll spend the next couple of weeks remembering questions that I got incorrect for stupid reasons lol.
Yeah they pop into your head at the most inconvenient times. I was seeing a patient and she mentioned knee pain and it immediately reminded me of a question that I struggled with. It threw off my whole HPI because I was thinking of that question lol..

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the test on July 9th and my permit did not disappear as of 30 seconds ago...

I also took mine July 9th and the permit did not disappear. I’m hoping someone who took it the first week of July reports their score this week. That would increase chances that we get ours next week. Time will tell!

If they need to take the next few weeks to remove the bad questions (hoping those were the ones I missed), by all means, I hope they take their time.

Do peoples UWSA Percentile correlate with what is shown on page 3?

I doubt that it would correlate much. I know people use UWorld differently (timed vs tutor, random vs subject based, missed questions, etc.) I'll let you know when I get my score back if it correlated much for me.

Also, sorry, i had to remove your link from the quote. I haven't posted enough.

So I thought I’d be happy just to be done but man, the feeling is terrible! I dont even know how uwsa are going to be predictive when I have literally no idea how I did. I hope all the previous posts about feeling horrible after test but ending up getting a good score are true!

Reactions: 2 users
So I thought I’d be happy just to be done but man, the feeling is terrible! I dont even know how uwsa are going to be predictive when I have literally no idea how I did. I hope all the previous posts about feeling horrible after test but ending up getting a good score are true!
that's exactly how I feel. Don't know how uwsa are going to be predictive when the exam was so freakin hard...

UWSA1 (5 weeks out): 252
UWSA2 (2 weeks out): 247
Step 2: 261

Out of the four board exams I've taken thus far (Level 1/2 and Step 1/2), this was easily the hardest. I came out feeling absolutely terrible. It wasn't even as if I thought I was going to do poorly, I almost knew that I wasn't going to do well. If anyone else feels this way, try your best to let it go and not even think about it for the next 3-4 weeks. It's seriously not worth it. For all of the "what if" scenarios that you throw out in your head about how bad the score might be, always remember that those scenarios can go both ways.

Reactions: 9 users
When did your eligibility period end? Took July 2nd.
Took mine on the 5th of July. Still have a permit. Pretty confident I passed.
I think there's quite a lot of confusion about the link to the permit disappearing and versus your permit not actually coming up when you click on the link. I believe its when there is no longer a permit link at all is the indication that you'll get your scores. Getting an error message when you click the link to your permit means very little.

Thank you. I interpreted it the same way. I still have a link to click on, but nothing comes up when I do, it never did after I scheduled the test

Wondering if no one is getting scores today? Took it July 2nd and the previous week posted last week, but i still have nothing.

Are scores only released each weds, or is there a chance scores are released thurs/fri this week? I took mine July 6, and nothing today either.

I thought no scores were going to be released until August 29th for people who took it during this window?

Are scores only released each weds, or is there a chance scores are released thurs/fri this week? I took mine July 6, and nothing today either.

The USMLE communicated back in May that there will be a delay and that people taking the exam after June 30 all the way through mid-august will get their scores on August 29.

Lurker....first time poster

UWSA1: 240 (1.5 weeks out)
UWSA2: 234 (1 week out)
Free 120: 81% (4 day out)
Step 2 CK (June): 252 (Very Surprised)

Just Uworld + OME + MTB (some). This is to show people that at the end of every doubt, contemplation and decision, you just might be surprised with the results.

Reactions: 11 users
The USMLE communicated back in May that there will be a delay and that people taking the exam after June 30 all the way through mid-august will get their scores on August 29.
They did. But to be fair, last year I took step 1 during a similar period of delay and got my results in 3 weeks.
Who knows.

Just Uworld + OME + MTB (some). This is to show people that at the end of every doubt, contemplation and decision, you just might be surprised with the results.
CONGRATS!!!! How did you feel walking out and during the wait period?? Did you feel your exam was really hard?

mind sharing your prep? What did you do in between UWSA 1 and 2? Congratulations on your results!

Does anyone know if UW percentiles have been correlating well recently? My scores are very inconsistent with my practice tests so far. I got 238/ 38th percentile on UWSA1 before starting dedicated, just finished UW with 74% correct/ 75th percentile, and took NBME 8- 230/ 23rd percentile (80% correct). For reference third year shelves averaged 80%, Step 1 was 247. My test is fairly soon and I'm concerned since the NBME was so low and practice NBMEs were usually predictive for my shelf exams. Any advice?

IMG here. took it today. It was terrible and I feel that too is an understatement. It was all so vague and new. There were times during the exam I was questioning if I had missed a resource during my prep. Each block I must've marked at least 15 questions. Its just so frustrating.

UW round 2: 78%
UWSA1: 240
UWSA2: 241
NBME 8: 232
Free 120: 85%

I'm just praying I score within my NBME 8 -UWSA 2 range.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if UW percentiles have been correlating well recently? My scores are very inconsistent with my practice tests so far. I got 238/ 38th percentile on UWSA1 before starting dedicated, just finished UW with 74% correct/ 75th percentile, and took NBME 8- 230/ 23rd percentile (80% correct). For reference third year shelves averaged 80%, Step 1 was 247. My test is fairly soon and I'm concerned since the NBME was so low and practice NBMEs were usually predictive for my shelf exams. Any advice?

From my experience and from talking to classmates, it seems like the UWSA's are much more predictive for Step 2 than they were for Step 1. UWSA 2 was almost spot on for me.

Any recommendations on resetting UWorld?

I have 3 weeks till the exam, finsihed UWorld first round (70% correct throughout year and mainly used as a learning tool)
Haven't done any NBME exams or UWSA but planning to finish all 5 of them

Question regarding resetting..
Would you advise to redo incorrects or reset UWorld and then redo as many questions as I can till the exam

Any recommendations on resetting UWorld?

I have 3 weeks till the exam, finsihed UWorld first round (70% correct throughout year and mainly used as a learning tool)
Haven't done any NBME exams or UWSA but planning to finish all 5 of them

Question regarding resetting..
Would you advise to redo incorrects or reset UWorld and then redo as many questions as I can till the exam
I just reset UWorld without doing the incorrects so I could get through as many questions as possible.

Was waiting to post till I got my Comlex scores back. Hope everyone got the score they wanted.

Step 1: 244
Level 1: 52X
Step 2: 243
Level 2: 62X

NBME 6: 208 - Before I started dedicated
UWSA 1: 241
UWSA 2: 242
NBME 8: 247

Uworld 2x and onlinemeded is all I really used to study. Didn't get the score I wanted, was looking to jump a few points on step 2. Hopefully my scores are competitive enough to secure some interviews for Gen Surg. Time to put this test behind me. Cheers.

They did. But to be fair, last year I took step 1 during a similar period of delay and got my results in 3 weeks.
Who knows.
Yes , I know ! It's very annoying having to wait so long. I talked to a couple of interns who took step 2 CK last year after June 30 and the same thing happened to them. It seems like it happens every year for step 2 CK. I also called the USMLE about 2 weeks ago and they confirmed that the scores will be released on Aug, 29. We should still keep our hopes up. We'll see next Wednesday.

Hi guys. Hope you all are doing well.

IMG from Pakistan here. This thread has helped me a lot. So I thank everyone here for that.

Step 1: 245

UWorld percentage: 71% (did only once)
UWSA 1 (10 days out): 244 (71% correct)
UWSA 2 (2 days out): 244 (71% correct)
Free 120 (1 day out): 85%

I did uworld once and made notes. I'm revising my notes now and have been revising notes between UWSA 1 and UWSA 2.

My exam is in a day (day after tomorrow). Fingers crossed. I just hope i score in 240s (preferably >245). Lets see what happens. I'll be so glad when this is over!

Any suggestions as to what i should be doing today and tomorrow?

I'll update this thread once i receive my score. Wish me luck! And good luck to everyone!

EDIT: 8th August, 2018:

Gave the exam today. It was very very tiring, but I'm just glad it's over!! Although I found it hard, I was already expecting that because of this amazing thread. I went in with not a lot of hope, trusting my UWSAs, and wrote the exam on autopilot mode. I hope I get a score near my UWSAs, or maybe even higher. I'll be more than happy. Will keep you guys updated.

Once again. Thank you everyone for your input. Really helped me a lot.

Last edited: