*****Official 2019-2020 Interview Food Review Thread!!! *****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed20172017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It’s that time, folks! The time we can all pretend to be Yelp Elite and offer our insights into the world of cold cuts (aka interview food). Have at it!

Edit: Due to the success and interest of this thread, please continue to update the thread! Also, @aspiringdoctor87 made a form (MD/DO Food Review) to fill out. You can view the results on this thread or on this (Excel sheet)! Thanks!

Hopefully current and future applicants will find these resources helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users
UChicago served deep dish pizza. They had good variety with cheese, pepperoni, and veggie supreme if I recall correctly. It was really good but they got Lou’s and I’m more of a Giordano’s fan.

8.5/10

Reactions: 11 users
I lay awake in bed thinking about the ravioli Jefferson served. Best lunch I've had at any interview, hands down. Nevermind the fact that it's the only interview I've had this cycle.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users
Members don't see this ad :)
UVA has PRIME interview food. Like dang. It is buffet style but v fancy, like cut the turkey in front of me fancy :laugh:

Oh, and Wake Forest gives you Chic-Fil-A :love:

• Wow
Reactions: 9 users
UVA has PRIME interview food. Like dang. It is buffet style but v fancy, like cut the turkey in front of me fancy :laugh:

It’s that time, folks! The time we can all pretend to be Yelp Elite and offer our insights into the world of cold cuts (aka interview food). Have at it!

Yelp Elite speaking! :)

Do all interviews serve food?
and do interviewees get dinner or something after? or do most just dash for home after the day

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Yelp Elite speaking! :)

Do all interviews serve food?
and do interviewees get dinner or something after? or do most just dash for home after the day
I think it is dependent, but most serve lunch (all of mine have so far). Dinner is up to the interviewee (independently, and is outside the interview day schedule). Some have to stay in town due to flights leaving the next day, some go home that day. Just dependent.

I lay awake in bed thinking about the ravioli Jefferson served. Best lunch I've had at any interview, hands down. Nevermind the fact that it's the only interview I've had this cycle.
I heard it was amazing & it 100% lived up to the hype

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Ok, so it seems the top lunches are Georgetown and Jefferson? What about the others? How were Dartmouth, Kaiser, the UCs?

Do they have the grilled nuggets available, or only fried? Asking for a friend who doesn't even have an II there yet haha

Any seafood available anywhere? Ill take anything

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I can't remember :(

Give me some oysters and you will automatically be my top choice
Unless the oysters give me food poisoning. Raptor, are you the one with the family that owns a seafood restaurant?

Members don't see this ad :)
My dream is to open a coffee bar. With an adjoining area for oysters and sushi.
That is, if my doctor thing doesnt work out. Its a close one

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Unlimited seafood whenever you want? That doesn't sound like a bad life at all!

Haha yeah
I got all excited For an email that turned out to be merely a complete email. I guess ill go buy sushi to make the day better haha

Mayo Clinic you get unlimited of anything from their cafeteria. And they had everything.

Pittsburgh was decent with their philly cheese steaks or eggplant parm.

University of Chicago had excellent local deep dish.

Washington State University had an excellent spread of various side dishes and...I think some pretty dry chicken?

I haven’t been yet, but I am not looking forward to lunch at Case. The first part of scheduling your interview is picking what kind of lunch meat you want on your sandwich. SMH

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Unlimited seafood whenever you want? That doesn't sound like a bad life at all!
It's amazing but incredibly unhealthy considering most of it is fried :laugh:

• Haha
Mayo Clinic you get unlimited of anything from their cafeteria. And they had everything.

Washington State University had an excellent spread of various side dishes and...I think some pretty dry chicken?

I haven’t been yet, but I am not looking forward to lunch at Case. The first part of scheduling your interview is picking what kind of lunch meat you want on your sandwich. SMH

Does mayo have sushi/seafood as well

• Wow
  • Haha

Mayo isn't playing around

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
On occasion during the week yah. Not when I was there,but I think once or twice a week.

This might be why I vibed with them so much...everything with Mayo was GBGH

What is GBGH?

Somehow thought of Growth Hormone when seeing this haha

Last edited:
USC: Turkey sandwich but fancy in their restaurant
GWU: Turkey sandwich
Case: Turkey sandwich

I predict more turkey sandwiches in my future

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
I hear Loyola has a good lunch. @SeaHusky wanna confirm?
Loyola probably had the best cooked chicken I’ve had in awhile. And I eat a whole lot of chicken. After we finished our initial plates, a fellow applicant and I looked at each other silently before we both got up at the same time and piled on the seconds lol. Plus there was good pasta and a surprisingly good salad.

Plus the surprise ice cream at the end of the day was just *chef’s kiss*

Last edited:
  • Haha
USC: Turkey sandwich but fancy in their restaurant
GWU: Turkey sandwich
Case: Turkey sandwich

I predict more turkey sandwiches in my future
Did the sandwiches have avocado, at least?

When I interviewed at Pitt they served tacos but forgot the taco shells :cryi:
When I interviewed at Pitt, the email said there would be a continental breakfast - there was a bowl of fruit and some granola bars...

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
When I interviewed at Pitt, the email said there would be a continental breakfast - there was a bowl of fruit and some granola bars...

True, but they probably learned throughout the years everyone is too nervous to eat breakfast so best make it easy lol

• Wow
Schools that cater fancy lunches to applicants are probably compensating for something. ;)

I'll go back to enjoying our cardboard lunches now.

Everyone knows the top tier schools serve this for lunch :rofl:
The Lunch of Champions.jpg

• Love
  • Haha
True, but they probably learned throughout the years everyone is too nervous to eat breakfast so best make it easy lol
Breakfast is the best! I can't believe they didn't even have yogurt or bagels/pastries!

Meanwhile, I ate three bagels at UChicago after eating breakfast at the hotel (did the same thing at Mayo...) I noticed that - everyone seems so nervous at breakfast. Even at lunch, no one wants to go get seconds (I have gotten seconds and thirds even...)

Meanwhile, I ate three bagels at UChicago after eating breakfast at the hotel (did the same thing at Mayo...) I noticed that - everyone seems so nervous at breakfast. Even at lunch, no one wants to go get seconds (I have gotten seconds and thirds even...)
Every school I’ve interviewed at has repeatedly encouraged us to eat as much as we want. If the lunch is held before the actual interviews, it’s almost a guarantee that no one takes up the offer.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Quality of interview day lunch = (Quality of Medical School)^-1

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Every school I’ve interviewed at has repeatedly encouraged us to eat as much as we want. If the lunch is held before the actual interviews, it’s almost a guarantee that no one takes up the offer.
You will recognize me on interview day then if we share one. IDGAF. Interview day is to show you aren’t a 4.0 robot. I’mma eat and i’mma Eat a lot.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
You will recognize me on interview day then if we share one. IDGAF. Interview day is to show you aren’t a 4.0 robot. I’mma eat and i’mma Eat a lot.
Right? I make an effort to joke around with the other interviewees to lighten the mood. It’s like walking into a damn funeral some times.

I had a fat stomachache at Loyola after going for thirds on their chicken. Absolutely worth it.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
UT Houston had a serious fajita bar with every topping you can imagine.

• Wow
  • Love
I think a lot of it (at least for me) is fear of upsetting one's stomach at a very inopportune moment. I went hard at Jefferson just because the lunch was so hyped up and it looked terrific. But I know if I was at UChicago faced with deep dish, I'd probably nibble the crust, whereas when I have deep dish at home, I down half the pizza on my own and tape off the bathroom for the next few hours.

Reactions: 6 users

Can corroborate UVA's yummy food. They let you order dessert too :D

Got typical boxed food at every other school I've interviewed at so far.

UC Davis had heated trays (with open flames below) of grilled chicken, quinoa, and salad. One of the best and healthiest meals I have had at an interview thus far. I am blanking on other schools (probably average; sandwiches, wraps etc.) but I do remember Einstein's lunch was of notably poor quality. They had vegan meatballs with OK pasta, either because of convenience (no need to add a separate vegan/vegetarian option) or the school's religious affiliations (kosher meals). I didn't even know meatballs could be vegan...

Looking forward to UVA's lunch!