**Official 2019 Orthodontic PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! When did you find out?
Thanks! Wed Oct 31 by email, but official acceptance of all offers was due to them Nov 9.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received an acceptance or heard back from JU yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Those of you who have been accepted into a non-match program, congrats! Those of you waiting for 11/28, it’s the final countdown! Happy thanksgiving to everyone.

Just received an official email from Colorado yesterday stating that their class was filled up.

Congratulations everyone that Matched! I'm excited to see so many of you at GORP. :soexcited:

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone please list the post match spots available?
Per the Match.. "Beginning at 12:00 p.m. noon ET on November 28, a list of programs with positions available will be provided in the NMS Match System. Programs may update information on the list."

Congrats to everyone who matched!!!
Should we do this tradition again? It really helped me from previous years. I didn't include the names of the schools because I don't want to be identified but I'd love to start it off and give a general idea!

Name of Ortho Program: East Coast School
Dental School Attended: East Coast School
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2019
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: No
International Student (yes/no): No
NBDE Part I/II scores:
ADAT Score: took but didn't do super well so I didn't post it or include in my application
GRE Score: 164q, 161r, 4.5w
Class Rank: 1-4/115
Match/Non-Match: Match
Externship(s)/where: a few: one at my school and three at other schools (didn't actually help my chance of getting an interview though)
Research: Undergrad very little, dental school research project assisting ortho residents for a year, nothing too fancy but something to get my foot in the door
Extracurriculars:. General stuff- a couple of club involvements (no leadership positions), lots of ortho stuff (club involvement), a couple of scholarships, volunteeering, teaching, tutoring
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 19/8/8/7

All in all, I am happy to be matched. I was terrified I wouldn't make it because you meet so many great candidates along the way. I would recommend applying to a lot of programs and take leaps. Apply far away, you may end up loving it. I learned that during the interview process that even though everything looks great on paper, you never know what the school is like until interviews. That's when I found my fit and what is good for me.
Also, class rank is definitely the biggest thing. But I do have to say that if you have good research, you WILL get interviews regardless of rank. That's also what I noticed. Research and rank gets you those interviews. GRE is great to have, but not necessary. I wish you all good luck!

Also, has anyone gotten a confirmation from their school they matched to yet? I haven't still

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to those who have matched. For those of you who have not matched good luck with post match.

No confirmation from my program

Congrats to everyone who matched!!!

Also, has anyone gotten a confirmation from their school they matched to yet? I haven't still

I received an email confirming my match from my program. They said they’d be sending a formal letter in the mail by the end of the week. Congratulations to everyone who matched!

I matched, so I am unable to see which schools have postmatch spots on the match website. I’m just curious which schools have postmatch spots?

Congratulations to all of those who have matched! And good luck to others in post match! ;)
I haven`t received an e-mail confirmation either from the school I matched...
All the best for everyone!

Congrats to all of those who have matched!

I would like to ask about CTOR academy, how good is the program? is it accredited ?

I also don't really want to be identified, but I found these to be so helpful when I was an applicant, so I'll pay it forward:

Name of Ortho Program
: East Coast School
NBDE Part I/II scores: PASS
ADAT Score: Didn't take it
GRE Score: 160q, 160r, 5.0w
Class Rank: 1/+100
Externship(s)/where: None
Research: No research in undergrad, some in dental school (nothing published)
Extracurriculars:. The usual, not really any involvement in ortho-specific clubs, but I had leadership experiences to reference
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 13/8/6/6

After attending a couple interviews, I noticed that all of the presentations were very similar and that it was hard to tell which programs were objectively better. It seems that the majority of people I met chose their program by location and/or cost. I'm really happy with my choice, but what I have to say is: I didn't have that experience of "this is the school for me!" at any of my interviews. I wanted that feeling so badly, but maybe it's for the best that it didn't happen (since no program is perfect). Either way, I'm super happy! I ended up matching at a hospital-based program (my #1), which is what I was looking for (i.e. getting paid).

Congrats to everyone that matched, and good luck to those that didn't. I believe it'll work out no matter what - there are some programs, specifically hospital-based, that seem to prefer applicants with practice experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Would you guys still say that ortho is the most competitive specialty? (along with OS)

Congrats to all of those who have matched!

I would like to ask about CTOR academy, how good is the program? is it accredited ?

Not accredited, not even initial accreditation yet. Extremely research heavy.

Name of Ortho Program: Midwest School
Dental School Attended: West Coast School
GRE Score: 161q, 162v, 4.5w
Class Rank: In the top third of a class of about 120
Research: No undergrad research. Listed as a researcher on a published paper while in dental school, currently writing up a manuscript for a research project I did which may or may not get published (I am not personally worried about getting more research published at this point).
Extracurriculars: While in school I was involved in several clubs including an ortho club, but I never held any leadership positions. I took elective courses in orthodontics through my dental program. Prior to dental school I did have a career in a healthcare related field for roughly 8 years.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked:
25/3/3/3

The reason I am filling this out, is because I want students in a similar position to realize that it can work out for you. Many people will tout gpa, or class rank, or being the leader of every org in your school as the "trick" to getting in. I'm not saying you shouldn't try for some of those things, because like it or not there is often a gpa cut off. I knew I was a middle tier applicant when it came to the standard methods of judging applicants, hence the 25 schools (which is very expensive, btw). When it comes down to it though, much like when you interviewed for dental school, if you get one you've already met their requirements for the program, so it's all about you as a person and whether or not they feel like you're a good fit for the program and your co-residents.
So, long story long: Do the things you need to get your application seen, but then once it's seen, have something to say. Be honest, and be genuine, because they have heard all the "When I was a kid I had braces, and oh boy, how I want to be an orthodontist one day" speeches, and they are definitely not going to impress anyone. Get to know the faculty and residents and applicants as much as you can in the small amount of time you have with them, because they're the people you might be spending the next 2-3 years with.

Unlike some, I did have the "this is the residency for me" moment. It's both exciting and terrifying because you'll want something so bad and know that after you submit your ranks that it's completely out of your hands. I was extremely fortunate and I matched at my #1 rank. That means that you could too. Congratulations to all who matched, and best of luck to all of those planning on applying.

Reactions: 6 users
After reading the comments below, I decided to go back and edit this so that it can be a bit more useful. I relied on SDN to help me and I hope that I am able to return the favor to future applicants. Congratulations to everyone who matched and good luck to future applicants!

Name of Ortho Program
: Midwest School
Dental School Attended: Midwest School
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2019 (Not an International Student)
GRE Score: 160q, 163v, 5w
Class Rank: Among the top 5 students in my class
Externship(s)/where: A few - received interviews. I think it helps for some programs and makes no difference for others.
Research: Undergrad research. Dental School research fellowship. Published- not ortho related.
Extracurriculars (in dental school): Lots of extracurriculars with several leadership positions. TA position. Received scholarships and awards in dental school. (I think you just need a few to help you stand out and to be able to talk about during the interview. Otherwise, it really isn't going to make or break your chances.)
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 6/5/5/4

As you can see, I applied to a small number of programs. Personally, I was ok with not matching and re-applying, but I'm happy it didn't come to that. That being said, I wish I applied to more programs simply for the interview practice. I noticed that applicants who had more interviews were more calm and seemed less likely to get tripped up by awkwardly worded questions etc. I applied to almost exclusively Midwest programs with select outliers, but location wasn't the only factor. I also considered cost, reputation of the program, # of patients treated etc. As others stated, the objectively good programs all start to look the same with few minuscule distinguishing factors. Therefore, I didn't have much of a preference when ranking; however, I did dislike a program enough to leave it off my list.

Tips for future applicants: GPA/Class Rank is undoubtedly a big factor, but it is not the only factor. I know several people who matched who were not in the top 10-20% of their class and vice versa (high GPA/Rank but did not match). From what I have gleaned, recommendation letters, indications of interest in orthodontics and confidence during interviews goes a long way. Don't worry about how impressive the other candidates are, just do you and good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It will be very helpful if it's also mentioned wether selected candidates are International Graduate students or not...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

it would also be nice to know what school those got accepted into and what dental school those went to

Do we have a list of the Ortho programs that did not fill all their spots?

If everyone who matches could continue the tradition of listing their ECs/Stats/tips/etc it is super helpful to us applying in the future. congrats to all and thank you to all who have already done so!!

Name of Ortho Program: Northeast school
Dental School Attended: East coast School
GRE Score: not good at math....q, 157v, 4w
Class Rank: 9/75
Externship(s)/where: A few - It did not help me at all as I only interviewed at one of the schools I visited out of four but at least you get to see what the program and residents are like.
Research: None
Extracurriculars: Minimal, had one mission trip and involvement in a few clubs but no leadership positions
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 13/3/3/3

As you can see, you can get interviews and match without any research and with minimal involvement. I was very worried about this in the beginning but found out it's all about what the programs specifically value and I am guessing my recommendations, rank and interviews did it for me. Also, I did not do well on the math part of the GRE but it turned out not to be super important. I matched at my top school and could not be happier. Hope this helps! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Always said I'd do one of these.

Name of Ortho Program
: Northeast School
Dental School Attended: Different Northeast School
NBDE Part I/II scores: Pass/Pass
ADAT Score: did not take.
GRE Score: 156q, 161r, 4.5w
Class Rank: No rank, no GPA.
Externship(s)/where: 2 formal externships. Did not get interviewed at one, ended up matching at the other
Research: one poster presentation, two papers pending publication both Ortho focused
Extracurriculars: outreach trips, TA multiple classes, a couple clubs in school,
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 22/4/2/2

On each interview date I ended up having two interviews which I was unable to move, so I gambled on the two programs with more seats. Id be more than happy to answer any specific questions either on here or thru DM.

Name of Ortho Program
Externship(s)/where: 2 formal externships. Did not get interviewed at one, ended up matching at the other
Research: one poster presentation, two papers pending publication both Ortho focused
Extracurriculars: outreach trips, TA multiple classes, a couple clubs in school,
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 22/4/2/2

On each interview date I ended up having two interviews which I was unable to move, so I gambled on the two programs with more seats. Id be more than happy to answer any specific questions either on here or thru DM.

I am unable to DM you, can you DM me? I would like to ask some questions, thank you!

Name of Ortho Program: Northeast School
Dental School Attended: West coast school
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2015
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: Two years of GPR
ADAT Score: 160 overall
GRE Score
: 161q, 163r, 4.0w
Class Rank: 20/173
Externship(s)/where: none
Research: Ortho research project that was presented at an ortho research symposium.
Extracurriculars: tutoring, few clubs involvement, orchestra involvement
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 31/8/8/6 (two were nonmatch)

This was my fourth time applying and I finally matched! For applicants who have applied to ortho multiple times and did not match: it's not usual to match after going through several rounds of interviews; the more years you try and don't get in, the more programs think there's a reason you haven't gotten in. You have to make sure that you improve your CV every year to show a determination to do orthodontics, like participating in an orthodontic research project.

Last edited:
Name of Ortho Program: East Coast School
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2013
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: Yes
International Student (yes/no): Yes
NBDE Part I/II scores: Pass
ADAT Score: didn’t take
GRE Score: 163q, 160r, 4.0w
Class Rank: 2/50
Externship(s)/where: externships during dental school in different hospitals
Research: involvement in research projects during dental school, in pediatric and orthodontics areas. Presented posters and seminars. 2 articles published in dental school. 5 articles published after. Did a Master in orthodontics after dental school.
Extracurriculars:. Tutoring in ortho, involvement in clubs, shadowing with ortho, a lot of social work, as dentist and in other areas.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 4/1/1/1

Hi guys, answering here, hope I can help. I am an international graduated student, and as you can see maybe my case is a little different, I applied to very few and got only 1 interview. So I am super happy about have been matched. I wish the best for everyone, I know not matching is frustrating but don’t give up guys, this was the second time I tried, although last year I just applied to adea pass and not to match.. but anyways as an international I know it can be hard, but trust yourselves, just be honest during interview and I would say that having a background in research helped me in my particular case. But I know everything count. Hope to see everyone achieving your goals, good luck guys!

Name of Ortho Program: West coast school
ADAT Score: no
GRE Score: 154q, 160v, 4.0w
Class Rank: Top 25%
Match/Non-Match: match and non-match
Research: Non-ortho related research not published. Presented at a student research symposium.
Extracurriculars: Leadership role in Ortho club and another big club at the school. A couple of service missions, one which was planned by our club. A couple years working in Ortho as an assistant.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 31/5/3/0 (accepted non-match)

I'd say some decent research and work history are probably what got me some interviews. Being honest and personable in your interview is what will give you a good shot at getting in. Outside of that you need a little luck.

Name of Ortho Program: Northeast School
Dental School Attended: Midwest School
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2012
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: GPR
NBDE Part I/II scores: 82/84
ADAT Score: Didn't take it, I hear most schools still think it's crap
GRE Score: 162q, 166v, 5.5w
Class Rank: 43/98
Externship(s)/where: 7 years military, spent lots of time working with military orthodontists shadowing and assisting
Research: No undergrad research, table clinic presentations during D School and GPR, healthcare policy-making experience in military
Extracurriculars: Lots of volunteer work during Dental School (both dental and non-dental related), class treasurer in D school, social chair of dental fraternity, numerous leadership positions held while in the military
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 19/5/5/5

I applied a couple times through the military for Ortho but never got picked up. It's hard in the civilian world, but even harder in military with only 1-2 people selected each year. I really made sure to stay involved with leadership positions and to work with orthodontists whenever possible. Getting solid letters of recommendation is HUGE, especially if you work with someone who attended a specific program to which you are applying. As you can see, I finished middle of the class in D school (I had a crazy smart class) and had somewhat average board scores (when we still did those), so don't let class rank position necessarily discourage you. If you're coming out of school and not cream of the crop (like I wasn’t), consider taking the GRE and trying to rock it. I wanted to show them I still got it, especially since it has been a few years since I graduated. Some programs don't care about it at all, but if you do well, it's certainly something that can help. Also consider doing a GPR or AEGD, and/or working for a couple years. Many programs love to see that you've gained some real world experience, especially if you're able to do some ortho during that time frame. A lot of us don't get too much hands on ortho experience during D school, so if you show that you know what you're getting into, some schools may look favorably upon that. Apply far and wide, it can be expensive, but with how competitive it is, it's nearly a must. I geographically limited myself to mainly East Coast due to my wife's residency, but if you have no limitations, and you know ortho is for you, drop the money and apply everywhere. Interview season can be tricky with all of the programs cramming interviews into one month, so prepare to be flexible and know you may have to make some last minute changes. Prepare for interviews by writing out tons of possible questions and having some answers formulated. I literally created about a 14 page document of possible questions with my answers, and I practiced them until I felt comfortable. There will always be a few curveballs, but those will probably slip everyone up. Stay humble, kind, and don't be afraid to laugh, some of the biggest turnoffs are cockiness and being too stoic. Keep the faith, there were many programs that opted not to give me an interview, and there were many days I was doubting myself, but in the end, my top program gave me a late invite nearly two weeks after their initial round, and I'm happy to say I ended up matching with my #1!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Name of Ortho Program: East coast school
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2017
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: One Year Orthodontic Internship
ADAT Score: N/A
GRE Score
: 154q, 155v, 4.0w
Class Rank: no ranking/ top 25%
Match/Non-Match: match and non-match
Research: Non-ortho related research for 3 years later was published in undergrad. No research during dental school. Ortho research during ortho internship pending publication.Presented at a student research symposium during internship. Also involved in two other research projects while being an intern.
Extracurriculars: Leadership role in several clubs that were non- ortho related. Class leadership roles, 3-5 different community service leadership roles and involvement while in dental school. Some ortho shadowing. TA positions that were not related to ortho while a dental student. (Just be well rounded overall. I also worked part time as a GP while I was an intern and still working currently).
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 29/4/3/2 (accepted non-match)

I think a lot of applicants can agree when I say this, applying is one of the most stressful yet rewarding experiences. This was my second time applying and I must say it still took me 4-6 months to complete all the paperwork! Please start early and make sure you stand out. During my interviews, I had several directors and faculty reading off of my personal statement and letters of recommendations and were impressed by the details. I learned a lot from the first time that I applied and the best advice I can give to anyone that is reading this is please please please be honest and personable in your interview, be genuine and kind. Everyone that you meet at the program you interview matters, the staff, the faculty, all the residents and even the receptionist. Apply to a lot of programs, call and ask questions, visit if you can and PRAY! And you will meet a lot of great applicants along the way and programs will watch you interacting with each other, so be kind to your competition!

If anyone has any questions, feel free to DM me.

Hey guys, those who matched received the letter of confirmation? Or an email from the university?

Name of Ortho Program: Mid-Atlantic School
Dental School Attended: Mid-Atlantic School
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: None, but 12 years ortho assisting experience
International Student (yes/no): NO
GRE Score: 154q, 156r, 4.0w
Class Rank: 16/76
Research: Some undergrad, several projects in DS (none ortho-related), one publication in Medical Education journal
Extracurriculars: Leadership position in DS club, Dental Public Health certificate, teaching certificate, volunteering
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 26/4/3/3

I always found these posts helpful, so I hope this helps/encourages other non-traditional applicants, and those not in the top 10 of their class. Like many other people said, I believe that applying broadly, and to as many schools as you can is one of the best things you can do to increase your odds of interviews. As my stats were below the "average" of what many ortho applicants have, I tried my best to round out my application in other ways (being involved in extra learning opportunities, getting strong letters of support, having a polished personal statement). Once you receive an interview, it's truly a matter of being interesting, well spoken, honest, and really just fitting the culture of the program for which you are interviewing. Congratulations to those that have matched, and for those that weren't as fortunate this time around: keep trying! I'm happy to share my experiences with anyone who would like to PM me.

Research: Some undergrad, several projects in DS (none ortho-related), one publication in Medical Education journal
Extracurriculars: Leadership position in DS club, Dental Public Health certificate, teaching certificate, volunteering
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 26/4/3/3

I always found these posts helpful, so I hope this helps/encourages other non-traditional applicants, and those not in the top 10 of their class. Like many other people said, I believe that applying broadly, and to as many schools as you can is one of the best things you can do to increase your odds of interviews. As my stats were below the "average" of what many ortho applicants have, I tried my best to round out my application in other ways (being involved in extra learning opportunities, getting strong letters of support, having a polished personal statement). Once you receive an interview, it's truly a matter of being interesting, well spoken, honest, and really just fitting the culture of the program for which you are interviewing. Congratulations to those that have matched, and for those that weren't as fortunate this time around: keep trying! I'm happy to share my experiences with anyone who would like to PM me.

Would love to DM you, can you DM me as I am unable to message you. Thank you!

Unable to DM you

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Feel free to not answer if you don't feel comfortable-- but did you match at your #1 pick?

Name of Ortho Program

Hello. I am unable to private message you. I would love some feedback on your experience coming from a P/NP dental school. Please DM me when you have a chance. Thanks.