Official 2019 Rank Order Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Unless you are dead set on moving to Boston I would rank your Texas programs higher. Both Baylor and UT Austin would probably have stronger, more diverse training. Yes south shore would have McLean rotations which are amazing, but they spend a CRIMINAL amount of time (5/6th of their rotations per funding mandate) in the VA system which (nothing against them) is a HUGE deficit of any VA heavy program.

What are the drawbacks of a VA heavy program? Is it a particular kind of pathology that you end up learning about? Or lack of diversity in systems you are exposed to? Something else? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I hear you. So other than region, my particular interests in those programs seem fairly comparable, sounds like.
I think they're probably significantly different programs. That being said they're also in significantly different regions first lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on your comments..., I'm really shocked that you're ranking Jeff that high. I feel like reading your post it comes off that you like BIDMC far more.
Like you, I also really liked RWJ and UMass, but have similar thoughts on UMass re location. That said, maybe it'll be easier to fit in at UMass since you're coupled? I'm struggling with where to put it on my list because of the strength of the program and the 5yr child doohicky. GAHHHH!!!

I'm surprised at where you put pitt based on what I've heard from others!

Temple's also at the bottom of my list for similar reasons. I love philly but can't really see myself happy there.

Yeah I was a bit disappointed after my Jeff interview. But I've gotten lots of reassurance, including the comments above, that the PD is supportive of the residents (and even bakes them food sometimes). So it's probably not so bad. For the sake of living in center city philly. Despite my heart favoring UMD and BIDMC, I'm taking my partner into consideration as well. The residents seem happy enough.

As for UMass, eh, I'm not sure my personality vibed with the residents. I think at this stage in my life, I still want to stay in a big city. It's a shame. If UMass was just a bit closer to Boston, I would surely rank it in my top 3. As for RWJ, I definitely connected with the residents' humor and personality better but there's a lot of miserable commmuting involved with this program. And driving in NJ is not fun.

And for Pitt. Yeah. I know its an amazing program for Psych and that people love love love it. I liked it a lot too. But I definitely felt some imposter syndrome there. Like...these people are way too accomplished and smart, how can I possibly relate? And I love Pittsburgh. But ultimately my partner and I decided to prioritize slightly bigger cities.

And for Pitt. Yeah. I know its an amazing program for Psych and that people love love love it. I liked it a lot too. But I definitely felt some imposter syndrome there. Like...these people are way too accomplished and smart, how can I possibly relate? And I love Pittsburgh. But ultimately my partner and I decided to prioritize slightly bigger cities.

Dude don't worry. Imposter syndrome will go away! I'm probably only a few years ahead of you but the older you get, the more you realise that everyone is just winging it and nobody knows what's really going on in life (aka most grown-ups). Don't be intimidated by a program, if they interview you then you are more than good enough to be there!

Reactions: 4 users
I'm trying to figure out the top of my rank list and would appreciate any input.

1. Mt Sinai-Beth Israel
2. UCLA-Olive View
3. University of Rochester
4. SUNY Upstate
5. Hofstra/Northwell-Zucker Hillside

My interests are primarily psychotherapy (but I'm looking for strong bio and pharm training too) and child, with secondary interests in forensics and research. Career goal is most likely private practice but there's an outside chance of academics/research. Geographically, not too attached to a region but for my SO want to be in a place with graduate schools (lots in NYC, good amount in LA, limited in Rochester and Syracuse).

Anyone have any thoughts on hopkins?

I was kinda confused by them bc they seemed kinda intense (like it seemed to be a kind of hierarchal atmosphere, very formal relationships with attendings, everyone wore white coats...) but at the same time the PD and APD seemed a lot more chill and relaxed when I talked to them. And they seem to have a cool sounding new track system with more elective time and their call doesn’t sound too bad and obviously they have a lot of amazing opportunities!

but just not sure about their environment...def got an intense vibe there so I just wasn’t sure what to make of it overall... anyone have any thoughts?

Anyone have any thoughts on hopkins?

I was kinda confused by them bc they seemed kinda intense (like it seemed to be a kind of hierarchal atmosphere, very formal relationships with attendings, everyone wore white coats...) but at the same time the PD and APD seemed a lot more chill and relaxed when I talked to them. And they seem to have a cool sounding new track system with more elective time and their call doesn’t sound too bad and obviously they have a lot of amazing opportunities!

but just not sure about their environment...def got an intense vibe there so I just wasn’t sure what to make of it overall... anyone have any thoughts?

When I interviewed there I had the sense that the patients were on display...like they were specimens being studied by the physicians versus there being a relationship between individuals. It felt icky.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello All,

I need your wisdom. I am an IMG, and this is my second application. I would like to be in an academic institution where there is strong psychotherapy training. I am very passionate about therapy. I may go to any city as long as it is a good program. In terms of reputation and quality of education, how would you rank the first 5?

I am especially having difficulty deciding between Drexel, U of Louisville, and the University of Utah. I am also having difficulty deciding between HCMC, Westchester, and St.Elizabeth's. Thanks for your input!

Here are my options.

1. UT Southwestern
2. Case Western/UHCMC
3. Drexel
4. U of Utah
5. U of Louisville
6. Hennepin County Medical Center
7. St. Elizabeth's Boston
8. Westchester
9. Nassau
10. Orange Park Medical Center
11. Medical College of Wisconsin, Central Wisconsin rural track, Wausau
12. Texas Tech Permian Basin

Last edited:
Hello All,

I need your wisdom. I am an IMG, and this is my second application. I would like to be in an academic institution where has strong psychotherapy training. I am very passionate about psychotherapy. I may go to any city as long as it is a good program. In terms of reputation, how would you rank the first 5?

I am especially having difficulty deciding between Drexel, U of Louisville, and the University of Utah. I am also having difficulty deciding between HCMC, Westchester, and St.Elizabeth's. Thanks for your input!

Here are my options.

1. UT Southwestern
2. Case Western/UHCMC
3. Drexel
4. U of Utah
5. U of Louisville
8. Westchester
9. Nassau
I really liked Utah. Didn’t interview at any of your other places though

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello All,

I need your wisdom. I am an IMG, and this is my second application. I would like to be in an academic institution where there is strong psychotherapy training. I am very passionate about therapy. I may go to any city as long as it is a good program. In terms of reputation and quality of education, how would you rank the first 5?

Here are my options.

1. UT Southwestern
2. Case Western/UHCMC
3. Drexel
4. U of Utah
5. U of Louisville
8. Westchester
9. Nassau

What did you think of Orange Park?

What did you think of Orange Park?
Brand New program, first participation in match. Have four residents. Very nice PD. Not a strong program of course, but i got a positive vibe. Plus, its close to Jacksonville and the Ocean.

Brand New program, first participation in match. Have four residents. Very nice PD. Not a strong program of course, but i got a positive vibe. Plus, its close to Jacksonville and the Ocean.

Yeah, I agree and can't really add much more. You have some great programs on your list and I wish you the best of luck this year!

Reactions: 1 users
Last I checked:
Baylor is a workhorse program that could better support residents in my limited experience. A friend of mine transferred from here and was not positive on the program either. They talk up Menninger, but residents have a limited experience at this site. If I were going to be admitted in Houston, I’d choose Menninger, but if I’m paying $1k+/day, I’m not going to be a teaching case. Positives are that Baylor probably has the best available psychotherapy training/availability in Texas.

UTSW-Austin. Even before it became UTSW, Austin was already resident friendly. PGY-4’s were actively moonlighting and starting their private practice. Research was very slim. UTSW is actively building up the resources here.

So when was the last time you checked exactly? I've seen you trash on Baylor every time its name is mentioned and what you say sounds right circa 4+ years ago, but speaking to friends who are current PGY 1s and 2s things seem to be very different from the picture you continue to adamantly paint on here. Also the fact that you're unaware that UTSW's hand has been out of the Austin program for years now reinforces the notion that you're not particularly up to date on the programs. No offense intended, but why be so opinionated about Texas psych residencies when you're so out of the loop about them?

So when was the last time you checked exactly? I've seen you trash on Baylor every time its name is mentioned and what you say sounds right circa 4+ years ago, but speaking to friends who are current PGY 1s and 2s things seem to be very different from the picture you continue to adamantly paint on here. Also the fact that you're unaware that UTSW's hand has been out of the Austin program for years now reinforces the notion that you're not particularly up to date on the programs. No offense intended, but why be so opinionated about Texas psych residencies when you're so out of the loop about them?

Please provide a more up to date picture on Baylor if you have it. I have current friends that just graduated from Baylor, so that is correct that they are now about 4 years removed from intern year. They don’t talk of changes. I don’t know any PGY-1/2’s. I have yet to see evidence or read here of big changes, but it would be interesting for all Texas applicants I’m sure.

Names change, but UT Dell is still UTSW lodged in my brain. In the past few years, Texas has added multiple new medical schools or changed their names. Paul Foster was just a branch of Texas Tech-Lubbock a few years back. TCU even has a med school now.

Peers from Austin that I know talk highly of the program. Baylor grads don’t. Granted my sample size of total graduates is limited, as are the total # of yearly grads. I ranked Austin highly. I didn’t rank Baylor. I have no skin in the game since my ranking as I thankfully matched above both. Merely a slightly dated objective party furnishing data to do with as you will. Regardless of what you all choose, I wish you the best.

When I interviewed there I had the sense that the patients were on display...like they were specimens being studied by the physicians versus there being a relationship between individuals. It felt icky.

That would be really terrible if it were true, but isn't the case in my experience! Sorry you had that impression on the interview day. We're all trying to give the best clinical care possible -- which absolutely requires really strong relationships with the patients you're caring for. Not like 'specimens' -- oof!! No one would get better! I could give numerous examples of people going above and beyond for their patients--both the physicians and the many members of our interdisciplinary teams. In my opinion, it's one of the reasons why we have complex, treatment resistant patients from near and far coming for help. I'd also add that residents don't write progress notes and we have time during the day to spend with everyone we're caring for. Hope that helps -- I was surprised when I read your impression.

The idea that there are 'very formal' relationships with attendings and a 'hierarchical atmosphere' seem like common misconceptions. The PD and APD are pretty typical of the people in the department, largely 'chill and relaxed'. Some of the attendings have parties at their homes from time to time (including several attendings who play in a band that performs at one of the annual house parties). It's tough to get a good sense of all of this stuff on an interview day, I guess. Oh, and you're right, the new track elective time is amazing, and there's so much breadth and depth in the department. Love it.

Last edited:
Texas Physician is not exactly wrong re:Baylor. My sense from Texas people is that Baylor does not have the same reputation within Texas as it does out of it. If you ask people in Texas what the best psych residency is, they will say UTSW. However, nationally, Baylor has a very good reputation (rightly or wrongly) and you would do very well whatever your plans after residency if you went there, especially if you did not plan on staying in Texas. Although they don't have a forensic fellowship (though there is one in houston), the PD is a forensic psychiatrist and residents have done well in terms of getting into good forensic fellowships. they are also pretty strong in neuropsychiatry. I would not worry about training there and think you would get a good training, but you should know that it does not have the same reputation in texas as outside, and some other programs (namely UTSW) are held in much higher regard, particularly within TX.

Texas Physician is not exactly wrong re:Baylor. My sense from Texas people is that Baylor does not have the same reputation within Texas as it does out of it. If you ask people in Texas what the best psych residency is, they will say UTSW. However, nationally, Baylor has a very good reputation (rightly or wrongly) and you would do very well whatever your plans after residency if you went there, especially if you did not plan on staying in Texas. Although they don't have a forensic fellowship (though there is one in houston), the PD is a forensic psychiatrist and residents have done well in terms of getting into good forensic fellowships. they are also pretty strong in neuropsychiatry. I would not worry about training there and think you would get a good training, but you should know that it does not have the same reputation in texas as outside, and some other programs (namely UTSW) are held in much higher regard, particularly within TX.
i though baylors pd was an addiction psychiatrist

Also, kind of strange to say Baylor is strong in neuropsych in the same breath as mentioning UTSWs name! Doesn't the latter still have a neuropsych residency?

Ah i didn't realize their neuropsych residency wasnt quite so established yet. I briefly looked into it but apparently didn't do my due diligence. Thanks!

I'm trying to figure out the top of my rank list and would appreciate any input.

1. Mt Sinai-Beth Israel
2. UCLA-Olive View
3. University of Rochester
4. SUNY Upstate
5. Hofstra/Northwell-Zucker Hillside

My interests are primarily psychotherapy (but I'm looking for strong bio and pharm training too) and child, with secondary interests in forensics and research. Career goal is most likely private practice but there's an outside chance of academics/research. Geographically, not too attached to a region but for my SO want to be in a place with graduate schools (lots in NYC, good amount in LA, limited in Rochester and Syracuse).

would definitely consider bumping up Hofstra - overall great PD, impressive variety of learning experiences, great resources.

[QUOTE
And for Pitt. Yeah. I know its an amazing program for Psych and that people love love love it. I liked it a lot too. But I definitely felt some imposter syndrome there. Like...these people are way too accomplished and smart, how can I possibly relate? And I love Pittsburgh. But ultimately my partner and I decided to prioritize slightly bigger cities.[/QUOTE]

Imposter syndrome is ubiquitous. If you let it guide your decision-making, you run the risk of cutting out great opportunities in favor of comfortable, lesser ones. If you got an interview there, don't overthink it, you're good enough. also to address an earlier concern: Pitt has quite an impressive array of opportunities for clinician educators and clinician educators are very celebrated there, so there is nothing to worry about if you are not a hardcore researcher. And a lot of hospitals are run by "big bad" corporations - that's just the reality of modern medicine and the fact that it is also a business, an aspect of medicine that historically doctors have shirked away from.

+1

You got an interview you belong there should you choose to rank them. You can't control what the school is doing but you can make your decision!

Has anyone have any recommendations? I’d be very grateful. Have a beautiful weekend, y’all:)

Hello All,

Here are my options.

1. UT Southwestern
2. Case Western/UHCMC
3. Drexel
4. U of Utah
5. U of Louisville
8. Westchester
9. Nassau

I'm originally from the Bay Area, went to undergrad in Socal, and now go to medical school in Philly, so most of my programs are centered around those three locations.

1. UCLA - Olive View - Wouldn't mind being back in Southern California, the faculty seemed great, and the residents seemed happy with the program despite the recent schism with the VA. Seems like you'll receive pretty good training. (Also that moonlighting money lol)

2. Kaiser Santa Clara / San Jose - I'm apprehensive about ranking it this high but I really liked all of the faculty, and they all seem well trained and invested to make this a good program. I know that Kaiser programs will try to make Kaiser physicians but I'm not sure how much I mind that right now. Also it being a new program definitely makes me a little apprehensive.

3. UC Riverside - Enjoyed the interview day a lot. Faculty seem cool, residents seem happy. They definitely tried to emphasize how cushy the program was (no overnights and no weekends was a term I heard frequently on interview day). I might consider living outside of Riverside and closer to the OC for a better QoL and better dating options tbh.

4. Jefferson - I think I've had this internal struggle about whether I want to stay in the Northeast or go back to California but I liked Jefferson a lot, Certa was a bit rough during the interview but I was warned and all the residents love him. Heard the first year is really brutal but it lightens up a little 2nd year and that 3rd and 4th year are far easier.

5. Kaiser Oakland - I didn't jive with the faculty as well at this program, so I'm a bit unsure on how much I liked it. Definitely another ticket back to the Bay for me though. I might be willing to switch this with Temple though.

6. Temple - Home program. I know the faculty well. I know the residents well. I know I can probably succeed here. But do I want to stay in North Philly for another 4 years? Also after seeing other programs not having like 6 weeks of night float it makes me view it in another perspective.

7. CPMC
8. UConn
9. Kaweah Delta
10. Lehigh Valley
11. St. Luke's Anderson
12. Staten Island
13. Drexel
14. St. Elizabeth's Boston

I'm originally from the Bay Area, went to undergrad in Socal, and now go to medical school in Philly, so most of my programs are centered around those three locations.

1. UCLA - Olive View - Wouldn't mind being back in Southern California, the faculty seemed great, and the residents seemed happy with the program despite the recent schism with the VA. Seems like you'll receive pretty good training. (Also that moonlighting money lol)

2. Kaiser Santa Clara / San Jose - I'm apprehensive about ranking it this high but I really liked all of the faculty, and they all seem well trained and invested to make this a good program. I know that Kaiser programs will try to make Kaiser physicians but I'm not sure how much I mind that right now. Also it being a new program definitely makes me a little apprehensive.

3. UC Riverside - Enjoyed the interview day a lot. Faculty seem cool, residents seem happy. They definitely tried to emphasize how cushy the program was (no overnights and no weekends was a term I heard frequently on interview day). I might consider living outside of Riverside and closer to the OC for a better QoL and better dating options tbh.

4. Jefferson - I think I've had this internal struggle about whether I want to stay in the Northeast or go back to California but I liked Jefferson a lot, Certa was a bit rough during the interview but I was warned and all the residents love him. Heard the first year is really brutal but it lightens up a little 2nd year and that 3rd and 4th year are far easier.

5. Kaiser Oakland - I didn't jive with the faculty as well at this program, so I'm a bit unsure on how much I liked it. Definitely another ticket back to the Bay for me though. I might be willing to switch this with Temple though.

6. Temple - Home program. I know the faculty well. I know the residents well. I know I can probably succeed here. But do I want to stay in North Philly for another 4 years? Also after seeing other programs not having like 6 weeks of night float it makes me view it in another perspective.

7. CPMC
8. UConn
9. Kaweah Delta
10. Lehigh Valley
11. St. Luke's Anderson
12. Staten Island
13. Drexel

Just curious, why did you rank Drexel so low (as in, below completely new programs of Lehigh and St. Luke's)? I agree with where you placed Jefferson and Temple from my personal experiences of both programs (but I think Temple is 3 months of night float, not 6 weeks, so maybe even worse than you thought lol). I didn't apply anywhere in CA, so can't be of much help there, but I think your reasoning for each program makes sense to how you ranked them, except for me personally I'd take vibe with people over location in regards to Kaiser Oakland vs. Temple, unless Kaiser is right next to your family or SO or something.

That would be really terrible if it were true, but isn't the case in my experience! Sorry you had that impression on the interview day. We're all trying to give the best clinical care possible -- which absolutely requires really strong relationships with the patients you're caring for. Not like 'specimens' -- oof!! No one would get better! I could give numerous examples of people going above and beyond for their patients--both the physicians and the many members of our interdisciplinary teams. In my opinion, it's one of the reasons why we have complex, treatment resistant patients from near and far coming for help. I'd also add that residents don't write progress notes and we have time during the day to spend with everyone we're caring for. Hope that helps -- I was surprised when I read your impression.

The idea that there are 'very formal' relationships with attendings and a 'hierarchical atmosphere' seem like common misconceptions. The PD and APD are pretty typical of the people in the department, largely 'chill and relaxed'. Some of the attendings have parties at their homes from time to time (including several attendings who play in a band that performs at one of the annual house parties). It's tough to get a good sense of all of this stuff on an interview day, I guess. Oh, and you're right, the new track elective time is amazing, and there's so much breadth and depth in the department. Love it.

Awesome thanks so much for clarifying things!! Would it be alright if I direct messaged you if any other questions come up about the program? They’re def gunna be towards the top of my list but trying to figure out exactly where!

Anyone know whether northwestern has any community psych/public psych experiences?

I loved their program but I don’t remember hearing of any and experience in those is something that’s kind of important for me in a program. Thanks in advance guys! :)

Just curious, why did you rank Drexel so low (as in, below completely new programs of Lehigh and St. Luke's)? I agree with where you placed Jefferson and Temple from my personal experiences of both programs (but I think Temple is 3 months of night float, not 6 weeks, so maybe even worse than you thought lol). I didn't apply anywhere in CA, so can't be of much help there, but I think your reasoning for each program makes sense to how you ranked them, except for me personally I'd take vibe with people over location in regards to Kaiser Oakland vs. Temple, unless Kaiser is right next to your family or SO or something.

For Drexel, while I like Friends, I didn't like Hahnemann at all. I thought TUH was kinda old-ish but Hahnemann looks like it's falling apart. One of the interviewers said something that kinda rubbed me the wrong way as well. I just didn't feel like I had a great interview day. You're right that maybe I'm ranking St. Luke's too high, that might change (Drexel might move up a spot or two). Lehigh Valley actually was an amazing interview for me, I just don't want to live in the LH and its a brand new program, so that might be why I put it so high. I REALLY liked the faculty there.

Also my family is actually in the Bay Area so that does factor into the Kaiser programs a bit.

If you want more specific details we can private message.

Last edited:

7. CPMC
8. UConn
9. Kaweah Delta
10. Lehigh Valley
11. St. Luke's Anderson
12. Staten Island
13. Drexel

You answered it. I'm somewhat tempted to switch Drexel with Temple but the night float thing is somewhat scaring me. Do you remember how much work years 2-4 is? I remember that I felt like Temple had far less diversity, but do you think this is wrong?

i like the idea of night float. no overnight call other than those months at the programs I interviewed at

One of my favourite attendings once said, "the interview season is basically just applicants and programs bullsh*tting each other" :laugh:

They called out the fact that this process is the only time such unprofessionalism and ethical violations are basically tacitly agreed to as the status quo since they wouldn't fly anywhere else in training or practice. That certainly made me think of it differently... especially since a friend got a call from a PD mere moments after I was done reading it lol

7. CPMC
8. UConn
9. Kaweah Delta
10. Lehigh Valley
11. St. Luke's Anderson
12. Staten Island
13. Drexel

I think if you want to be back in CA, putting Kaiser Oakland above Jefferson might be a better idea. The faculty there seem great and it’s in an awesome city. Same with Kaiser Santa Clara - many of the faculty also came from other ruptable residency programs so even though they’re new, the faculty aren’t. PM me if you want more info.

Don’t underestimate how much the location can play an impact in your life since most programs are going to have pros and cons that are hard to evaluate during one interview day.

I think if you want to be back in CA, putting Kaiser Oakland above Jefferson might be a better idea. The faculty there seem great and it’s in an awesome city. Same with Kaiser Santa Clara - many of the faculty also came from other ruptable residency programs so even though they’re new, the faculty aren’t. PM me if you want more info.

Don’t underestimate how much the location can play an impact in your life since most programs are going to have pros and cons that are hard to evaluate during one interview day.

I'm from CA, here for med school, but considering leaving for residency. I've found a couple programs I've really clicked with.. one in the PNW and one in the South. If I want to eventually come back to CA to live and work, am I making a mistake ranking these places above my CA programs?

I'm from CA, here for med school, but considering leaving for residency. I've found a couple programs I've really clicked with.. one in the PNW and one in the South. If I want to eventually come back to CA to live and work, am I making a mistake ranking these places above my CA programs?
It will not be an irretrievable mistake (if a mistake at all). Several Midwestern residents of my acquaintance have had no difficulty starting careers in CA, even without much past history there.

It may be hard to get a residency in California, but the job market is great everywhere including California.

There has to be a Hotel California joke in this some where.
"You can leave any time you want, but you can't always check in..."

It may be hard to get a residency in California, but the job market is great everywhere including California.

There has to be a Hotel California joke in this some where.
"You can leave any time you want, but you can't always check in..."

This Desperado should Take It Easy on their way to Hotel California, or they could end up sounding like a Witchy Woman One of These Nights, instead of a New Kid In Town trying to live Life In The Fast Lane. (... I'm sorry, I have too much free time)

sooo anyone have any info on whether there are public psych/community psych opportunities at northwestern? can't really seem to find any on their website...

This Desperado should Take It Easy on their way to Hotel California, or they could end up sounding like a Witchy Woman One of These Nights, instead of a New Kid In Town trying to live Life In The Fast Lane. (... I'm sorry, I have too much free time)
I strongly take the Dude’s stance on the f***ing Eagles.

Your signature says resident, but your post says MS4.

Your signature says resident, but your post says MS4.

A strength of my program: very good work life balance (including right now when I'm on my medicine months). I will admit though, today I had too much free time.

A strength of my program: very good work life balance (including right now when I'm on my medicine months). I will admit though, today I had too much free time.

How many hours a week you work?

Hi everyone!! I mostly have most of my rankings figured out but there are a few programs I'm still waffling on. I would love any advice! I'm interested in working with underserved populations, child and adolescent, and research on trauma. It's also really important to me that the school has good mentorship available. I'm also torn between the locations of these programs because I am from the Chicago area and am nervous about moving to a smaller city.

I'm currently between Wash U vs. Rush for my 3rd and 4th spots and then Duke vs. Maryland vs Michigan. Please let me know what you think!