Official 2019 Rank Order Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There's RWJ and NJMS. I wouldn't consider one a main campus or anything. They're 2 separate institutions that happen to be part of 1 entity.

Those two psychiatry programs are also worlds apart. One being an academically-driven, nurturing environment which places value on resident education and wellness while the other generates rumors of FMG sweatshop-like qualities.

RWJ >>>> NJMS. Just hearsay, but worth exploring.

The cities of Newark and New Brunswick might as well be on different planets. Brick City ain't no joke.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you very much for your answer! I really appreciate it! :) What about Zucker Staten Island? Not good?
The program in Staten Island is a fine community program. Newer and smaller (I think 4 residents per class) however within the Northwell System so plenty of opportunity especially if willing to travel to the other boroughs. For all practical purposes, they really are the only show in town on the island and the population is quite diverse there.

When you mentioned Rutgers you meant NJMS (as opposed to RWJ) so I would rearrange what Splik said to:

Mayo>>> UVA>>>>> Penn State Hershey>>>>>>Zucker SIU>>>>>>>NJMS.

Not exactly sure about NYMC however from what I remember Westchester >>>> Metro (and NJMS). I do not know anything about Nassau.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have thoughts on MGH vs BWH? I know a lot of people earlier on the thread think BWH is going more biological which may or may not be an issue for me. My interest is in treating the psychiatric comorbidies in patients who are trans; I'm also interested in C&A and I hope to combine both of these in my future academic practice. I really like Boston and don't mind spending the money to live there for training. Here are my pro/cons/thoughts:

MGH
+ highly ranked, obviously well regarded
+ I got along really well with the residents (but maybe everyone does; they seem to have a very polished recruitment strategy)
+ Lots of trans attention/programs
+ Great training that prepares you for everything
- The call seems VERY heavy. Work/life balance almost looks impossible. It might be hard to take advantage of all the trans programs they offer
- People always talk about it being a malignant program in the past... although I didn't get that vibe at my interview. Albeit, I am not from the east coast so I probably have less insight into this than most.

BWH
+ Got along with residents, although less so than MGH (but again, MGH was very polished/enthusiastic)
+ Call seemed way more reasonable
+ Half-day a week devoted to personal interests within psychiatry could help me develop a niche
+ Still a Harvard program
- Fewer trans programs, although extra time to develop this interest elsewhere
- Not as highly regarded as MGH is my understanding

Otherwise my rank list is pretty set. These are #1/#2, just not sure what order...

You have two good choices here. It's a bit like choosing between two fancy houses on the same block, both free and each worth more than a million. But like choosing residency, you'll have to live with your choice for 4 years. You can either go with the one that's worth 10k more than the other, or the one with more attractive real estate agent. Or you can reevaluate all the factors to see which one matters more to your happiness on a day to day basis.

That being said, I think people outside medicine would probably feel MGH is more prestigious, which may make a small difference in terms of the fees you'll be charging the rich and elite who believe that only MGH is good enough for them.

Another thing to keep in mind, it is difficult to gauge how well we'll be getting alone with someone from a couple of hours of interactions in a group setting. It takes a long time to know people and to know how well you can count on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your reply! :)
I was under the impression (from what I read online) that NYMC Metropolitan was better than NYMC Westchester, but idk.. I really liked the Westchester program when I went there.

The program in Staten Island is a fine community program. Newer and smaller (I think 4 residents per class) however within the Northwell System so plenty of opportunity especially if willing to travel to the other boroughs. For all practical purposes, they really are the only show in town on the island and the population is quite diverse there.

When you mentioned Rutgers you meant NJMS (as opposed to RWJ) so I would rearrange what Splik said to:

Mayo>>> UVA>>>>> Penn State Hershey>>>>>>Zucker SIU>>>>>>>NJMS.

Not exactly sure about NYMC however from what I remember Westchester >>>> Metro (and NJMS). I do not know anything about Nassau.

Those two psychiatry programs are also worlds apart. One being an academically-driven, nurturing environment which places value on resident education and wellness while the other generates rumors of FMG sweatshop-like qualities.

RWJ >>>> NJMS. Just hearsay, but worth exploring.

The cities of Newark and New Brunswick might as well be on different planets. Brick City ain't no joke.

Yes i have absolutely heard that NJMS is a sweatshop, not here-say but fact I would say..

Thank you so much for your reply! :)
I was under the impression (from what I read online) that NYMC Metropolitan was better than NYMC Westchester, but idk.. I really liked the Westchester program when I went there.
Didn't Northwell recently have a horrendous review posted to scutwork from a current resident?Are you aware of that @Dharma?

Found on the psych google sheet.......
"Opinions on sending a letter to each program after 2/20 letting them know how I ranked them? I hate the idea of all the PDs sitting around anxious about whether I will match there and want to help manage expectations."

"Opinions on sending a letter to each program after 2/20 letting them know how I ranked them? I hate the idea of all the PDs sitting around anxious about whether I will match there and want to help manage expectations."
It would be hilarious if this guy actually sent the letters then didn't match.

Reactions: 2 users
Rank list submitted

1 Dartmouth
2 Harvard South Shore
3 Baylor
4 UT Austin
5 mayo
6 Utah
7 LSU New Orleans
8 UF
9 Home program
10 LSU Shreveport

Let's get this bread

already changed it

1 Dartmouth
2 Harvard South Shore
3 Baylor
4 UT Austin
5 Utah
6 LSU NOLA
7 Mayo
8 Home
9 UF
10 LSU Shreveport

someone needs to stop me from tinkering

Or they could breathe a massive sigh of relief to know that they didn't rank this person...

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
already changed it

1 Dartmouth
2 Harvard South Shore
3 Baylor
4 UT Austin
5 Utah
6 LSU NOLA
7 Mayo
8 Home
9 UF
10 LSU Shreveport

Or you could be like me where your top three are all your number one on any given day and the top 6 change in order almost as frequently.

Reactions: 1 users
So I need help sorting through these programs in ranking- UC Riverside, Olive View, UC Davis, UIC, BU. The first two are more ideal in terms of location and I did like them a lot but the other ones have a much better reputation. I want to work with the underserved which they all address and I don't know yet if I want to do a fellowship. I may want to stay in academics though.

Last edited:
So I need help sorting through these programs in ranking- UC Riverside, Olive View, UC Davis, UIC, BU. The first two are more ideal in terms of location and I did like them a lot but the other ones have a much better reputation. I want to work with the underserved which they all address and I don't know yet if I want to do a fellowship. I may want to stay in academics though.

TBH the only one of those I applied to (and interviewed at) was UIC - and UIC was one of the biggest pleasant surprises of the interview trail. When I meet people who trained there, I always tell them how much I liked it there. It just seemed like a good, supportive program with happy residents and good opportunities. If I had ended up there I think I would have been happy.

If it were me I'd go uic, Riverside olive view, Davis, bu

Now I'm really glad that njms never had a date open up for me! RWJ was nice. Not really my cuppa tea mostly because of location but I really liked the residents and faculty there.

Its kinda nice knowing that I could go that far down my list and still end up in a place where I'd have little to complain about other than the entire residency thing haha.

What do you guys think about MUSC vs. UT Austin vs. OHSU?

Things I value/want, life balance, good food/fun city, would like to work in general outpt one day perhaps with some palliative, less intense environment (though all seem fairly chill).

already changed it

1 Dartmouth
2 Harvard South Shore
3 Baylor
4 UT Austin
5 Utah
6 LSU NOLA
7 Mayo
8 Home
9 UF
10 LSU Shreveport

What's your criteria for the list? Location? Prestige? Culture?

What's important to you?

If you want to stay in academics, Davis may be better as Olive View is attached to UCLA but just underwent the schism and Riverside is striving to be more academic but is newer. Davis is established and has a very strong reputation in community and cultural psychiatry. Riverside is a much bleaker location that Sacramento IMHO but others may disagree. Keep in mind that while the city may not be "world class", you don't have to deal with nearly as much traffic in Sacramento, the COL is much lower, and moonlighting opportunities are probably equivalent amongst Riverside, OV, and Davis. And there are plenty things to do if you don't drive down to the Bay Area every weekend and actually try to explore the city.

What's important to you?
Really all of the above are being considered. Need to be somewhere that the significant other would be okay with moving to. She prefers Texas for family reasons, but my two favorite programs were Dartmouth and HSS. It seemed that these programs had the best opportunities as far as my interests go. A little nervous about program director transition at HSS, but they seem to have good addiction training; Harvard affiliation is a plus, and I would love to get some training experience at McLean. Enjoyed Baylor and Austin.
Utah would be nice as it's near mountains and I can ski; got an awkward feeling from some residents but loved the faculty members I met.
Didn't really like the cities Gainesville or Shreveport. UF seemed like a good program; Shreveport was pretty rough/I didnt like it at all.
Liked NOLAs culture and we have lots of friends living in the city.
Home program is smaller and not really known for being strong in psychiatry.
Mayo seemed like it would be great for me but significant other does not want to be in Rochester. I wasn't a huge fan of Rochester either but really like the residents/faculty; honestly felt like my best fit as far as personality goes.

What's important to you?
Honestly I had the programs loosely ranked by percieved prestige then moved them up or down after interview day impressions.

You see any rankings that you would change or don't make sense?

already changed it

1 Dartmouth
2 Harvard South Shore
3 Baylor
4 UT Austin
5 Utah
6 LSU NOLA
7 Mayo
8 Home
9 UF
10 LSU Shreveport

I ranked UT Austin much higher than Baylor. Baylor is an excellent medical school, but their psychiatry program has much to be desired in my opinion.

Help me rank my top 3: UT houston, Mount Sinai, U Maryland. All 3 are solid programs so cannot really go wrong with any.
I am interested in getting good psychotherapy training and research.

UtHouston: Loved the faculty and residents alike. Environment seemed very collegial. Spouse has more job opportunities in Houston and the city seemed like a good balance of things to do/but not crazy crowded. They are known for their inpatient experience but not their psychotherapy training.
Sinai: Connected very well with potential research mentors. Many research opportunities. Pros and cons of living in NYC balance each other out. Presence of psychoanalytic institutes for training.
Maryland: DIVERSE training opportunities. Seriously amazingly diverse. Everyone seemed chill. Job opportunities in the area will be comparable to NYC (but fewer than Houston possibly) for spouse.

Thank you in advance!

Help me rank my top 3: UT houston, Mount Sinai, U Maryland. All 3 are solid programs so cannot really go wrong with any.
I am interested in getting good psychotherapy training and research.

UtHouston: Loved the faculty and residents alike. Environment seemed very collegial. Spouse has more job opportunities in Houston and the city seemed like a good balance of things to do/but not crazy crowded. They are known for their inpatient experience but not their psychotherapy training.
Sinai: Connected very well with potential research mentors. Many research opportunities. Pros and cons of living in NYC balance each other out. Presence of psychoanalytic institutes for training.
Maryland: DIVERSE training opportunities. Seriously amazingly diverse. Everyone seemed chill. Job opportunities in the area will be comparable to NYC (but fewer than Houston possibly) for spouse.

Thank you in advance!

Sounds like you're most excited about maryland huh? Hard not to be with shep pratt there.

Hello all,
I was curious if anyone can provide some insight into the work-life balance/hours for the following psychiatry programs:

UNC
Emory
MUSC
Wake Forest
GWU
Johns Hopkins
UF Gainesville

To me it’s very difficult to understand, contrast and compare different call schedules when I’m not familiar with any of them as a Med student.

Thank you!

Hello all,
I was curious if anyone can provide some insight into the work-life balance/hours for the following psychiatry programs:

UNC
Emory
MUSC
Wake Forest
GWU
Johns Hopkins
UF Gainesville

To me it’s very difficult to understand, contrast and compare different call schedules when I’m not familiar with any of them as a Med student.

Thank you!

I interviewed at 3 of the same programs and honestly have no clue

What are the pros-cons of each in your opinion?

Last I checked:
Baylor is a workhorse program that could better support residents in my limited experience. A friend of mine transferred from here and was not positive on the program either. They talk up Menninger, but residents have a limited experience at this site. If I were going to be admitted in Houston, I’d choose Menninger, but if I’m paying $1k+/day, I’m not going to be a teaching case. Positives are that Baylor probably has the best available psychotherapy training/availability in Texas.

UTSW-Austin. Even before it became UTSW, Austin was already resident friendly. PGY-4’s were actively moonlighting and starting their private practice. Research was very slim. UTSW is actively building up the resources here.

Last I checked:
Baylor is a workhorse program that could better support residents in my limited experience. A friend of mine transferred from here and was not positive on the program either. They talk up Menninger, but residents have a limited experience at this site. If I were going to be admitted in Houston, I’d choose Menninger, but if I’m paying $1k+/day, I’m not going to be a teaching case. Positives are that Baylor probably has the best available psychotherapy training/availability in Texas.

UTSW-Austin. Even before it became UTSW, Austin was already resident friendly. PGY-4’s were actively moonlighting and starting their private practice. Research was very slim. UTSW is actively building up the resources here.

Austin has not been affiliated with UTSW for some time. They are now under the UT-Dell umbrella.

Baylor is no more of a workhorse program than any of the other highly ranked psychiatry programs in the country. I interviewed there and found their call schedule not nearly as intimidating as it is made out to be. Yes, Ben Taub has the potential to be very busy but that is to be expected from a county hospital in the 4th largest city in the country. IMO the diversity of clinical sites in Baylor is tough to beat. You have a large county hospital, private hospital in Methodist, private psych hospital in Menninger (which all second years rotate through and there is an opportunity to moonlight and further rotate here during PGY-4), BCM's own psych clinics, child psych rotations at Texas Children's, etc. And as you mention, the psychotherapy training at Baylor is top-notch and they work closely with the Center for Psychoanalytic studies in Houston. Objectively speaking, the clinical diversity found at Baylor will be far greater than UT-Austin's.

Right now this is my list. What do you guys think?

1) University of Maryland - love Sheppard Pratt. Its beautiful. Surrounded by nature. So many specialized units. UMD in general has every type of clinical opportunity from state hospitals to VA to great psychotherapy. Its the definition of well-balanced. Can really see myself living in Baltimore. Not too far from home. The 4th year call is a downer but the lighter intern year makes up for it I think. Great feel from the residents, large class size but people seemed close. Curriculum seems very well thought out to expose residents to every psychopathology early. Really excited about this program.

2) Jefferson - personally I thought that the PD was extremely abrasive during my interview. Apparently he's like that for most applicants but I dont like him establishing this "power dynamic" so early...the process of interview is supposed to be two people mutually learning about each other. The PD and most residents I talked to admitted that the only real standout thing about Jeff was the location and facilities. And i mean, the location is in the best part of Philly and the facilities (esp the outpatient clinics and large residents offices) are gorgeous. Very conflicted on this one. Its the 2nd most prestigious program in Philly so I'm sure I would get good training though... Ranking #2 since my partner wants to be in Philly.

3) Beth Israel Deaconess - Boston is a whirlwind of a city. But it would really fun to be there. Love the art scene there. And everyone at BIDMC seemed very hip, intellectual, and artsy. Definitely a big psychotherapy focus which I like and the aPDs were super cool. Mass Mental and all the clinic rotations seem really unique and the electives, although not many, seem pretty neat. Having that Harvard prestige would be nice too. Would be very happy to match here. Got a very robotic vibe from the PD and the facilities are pretty archaic.

4) University of Illinois Chicago - Chicago would be a far travel from home but I love the city. Hope there wont be too many more polar vortexes in the future.. For Psych, it's got a good name in the city behind Northwestern. Very adept at clinical research, PD is super stoked to engage literally any resident interest, got a very chill vibe from the residents (although they admit they have to work pretty hard), got along very well with the faculty. The facilities are okay, the big neuropsych center has a dreary feel to it but it's not bad. Good VA exposure. shares West Chicago with Rush.

5) Montefiore/Albert Einstein - Used to live in New York and personally would like to avoid the heavy congestion of Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens. Bronx seems more liveable honestly even though its not as fun/nice/safe. The interview was small and cozy, PD seems psychoanalysis focused, one of their faculty is going to be next APA president, best lunch of the interview trails, amazing meal stipend here, call schedule and workload on the lighter side, residents are very close-knit and happy. Very diverse faculty and patients. The facilities were pretty miserable looking though. The inpatient unit is just one dreary hallway with 4 patients per room. The outpatient clinic is undergoing renovation but idk how much they can improve it.

6) UPMC - there was so much I loved about UPMC/WPIC but its heavy research focus and lack of psychotherapy turned me off. UPMC also has that "evil corporation" feel with its well known insurance/hospital squabbles. And I felt like I didn't belong compared to all the very research accomplished ultra high-tier residents.

7) Mount Sinai - felt like some residents/applicants were kind of dismissive of me being from a "lower tier" medical school. Similar issues with UPMC. Hope Im not turning down an opportunity of a lifetime ranking these very prestigious programs lower on my list...

8) Temple - would love being in Philly and located in the heart of Philly's most opioid stricken neighborhood. Great residents and faculty but would prefer a better name, fellowship matches aren't as impressive as other schools. Like that residents get an iphone instead of a pager.

9) Robert Wood Johnson - Rutgers: super chill and happy residents, their call schedule is very easy breezy and since their main inpatient unit is all voluntary, work tends to be easier. One of their C/L faculty is very very arts oriented and does frequent horror film analysis and other fun projects with the residents.

10) UMass - residents are all very nice but seem to be older/married/in a different stage of life. So much about this program is excellent but I dont know if Im at that point in life to settle for 4 years in a place like Worcester.

11) UVA - was interesting to hear different faculty takes on the Charlottesville riots. The distance and location moved it lower on my list. Will be getting its own psych ER soon.

12) Northwell - Zucker Hillside: beautiful brand new inpatient psych hospital. amazing modern architecture with lots of natural light and hanging plants. The units are massive in size and I thinking that I wouldnt mind getting involuntarily committed here lol. Didn't mesh with the faculty well tho and felt that the residents/patient population lacked diversity. Maybe it was just the month but traffic was so horrific on the L.I.E and i was like no.

13) Mount Sinai - St. Luke: the 4th year resident giving us the tour spent some time trashing the program. But the rest of the residents were sooo funny. The lunch at the Greek restaurant was great. The chair and PD are amazing. The facilities are NYC old but decent. The travel between St. Luke and West kinda sucks. Expensive. Has mount sinai name and has the Mount Sinai system's inpatient child units.

14) Drexel - has a very established free-standing psych hospital in a beautiful enclosed nature filled space. Different adult units, one child, geri, and intensive. Prolly lowest in prestige of the Philly programs. Their main hospital HUH is struggling and the conditions seems pretty worse for wear, esp their hospital psych unit. The residents all seem very laid back. Mostly DOs and Caribbean grads.

15) Allegheny Health System: UPMC's competitor in Pittsburgh. It's mostly DOs and they all seem chill and quirky/fun. The PD is SUPER sweet and so involved with his resident's well-being. The Psych inpatient units are 30 min away from downtown in Monroeville. Very small community program but honestly its got its strengths. Feel like its very underrated. Personally not for me but I still recommend this for people who are into smaller programs

16) Penn State - Hershey: Barely any part of this rotation is at Hershey. It's pretty much all in Harrisburg, 40 minutes away. Very depressing looking facilities. One of the residents supposed to be helping on the tour wandered off halfway and never rejoined us.

Not ranking: NJMS-Rutgers - I know some people were talking about this above. Yeah, its an IMG sweatshop. They try to frame it as "oh its really miserable work but you come out a better doctor.." but im not buying it. The PD has improved some aspects but nobody is happy about the workload and lack of attending support (but hey...mandatory yoga sessions for wellness!...) PD also said that the best type of resident is someone who never says "no". The lunch was combined with the Grand Rounds lunch. The one good part is the chair who is really cool and very passionate about Addiction Psych.

Last edited:
Right now this is my list. Couple's Matching. What do you guys think?

1) University of Maryland - love Sheppard Pratt. Its beautiful. Surrounded by nature. So many specialized units. UMD in general has every type of clinical opportunity from state hospitals to VA to great psychotherapy. Its the definition of well-balanced. Can really see myself living in Baltimore. Not too far from home. The 4th year call is a downer but the lighter intern year makes up for it I think. Great feel from the residents, large class size but people seemed close. Curriculum seems very well thought out to expose residents to every psychopathology early. Really excited about this program.

2) Jefferson - personally I thought that the PD was extremely abrasive during my interview. Apparently he's like that for most applicants but I dont like him establishing this "power dynamic" so early...the process of interview is supposed to be two people mutually learning about each other. The PD and most residents I talked to admitted that the only real standout thing about Jeff was the location and facilities. And i mean, the location is in the best part of Philly and the facilities (esp the outpatient clinics and large residents offices) are gorgeous. Very conflicted on this one. Its the 2nd most prestigious program in Philly so I'm sure I would get good training though... Ranking #2 since my partner wants to be in Philly.

3) Beth Israel Deaconess - Boston is a whirlwind of a city. But it would really fun to be there. Love the art scene there. And everyone at BIDMC seemed very hip, intellectual, and artsy. Definitely a big psychotherapy focus which I like and the aPDs were super cool. Mass Mental and all the clinic rotations seem really unique and the electives, although not many, seem pretty neat. Having that Harvard prestige would be nice too. Would be very happy to match here. Got a very robotic vibe from the PD and the facilities are pretty archaic.

4) University of Illinois Chicago - Chicago would be a far travel from home but I love the city. Hope there wont be too many more polar vortexes in the future.. For Psych, it's got a good name in the city behind Northwestern. Very adept at clinical research, PD is super stoked to engage literally any resident interest, got a very chill vibe from the residents (although they admit they have to work pretty hard), got along very well with the faculty. The facilities are okay, the big neuropsych center has a dreary feel to it but it's not bad. Good VA exposure. shares West Chicago with Rush.

5) Montefiore/Albert Einstein - Used to live in New York and personally would like to avoid the heavy congestion of Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens. Bronx seems more liveable honestly even though its not as fun/nice/safe. The interview was small and cozy, PD seems psychoanalysis focused, one of their faculty is going to be next APA president, best lunch of the interview trails, amazing meal stipend here, call schedule and workload on the lighter side, residents are very close-knit and happy. Very diverse faculty and patients. The facilities were pretty miserable looking though. The inpatient unit is just one dreary hallway with 4 patients per room. The outpatient clinic is undergoing renovation but idk how much they can improve it.

6) UPMC - there was so much I loved about UPMC/WPIC but its heavy research focus and lack of psychotherapy turned me off. UPMC also has that "evil corporation" feel with its well known insurance/hospital squabbles. And I felt like I didn't belong compared to all the very research accomplished ultra high-tier residents.

7) Mount Sinai - felt like some residents/applicants were kind of dismissive of me being from a "lower tier" medical school. Similar issues with UPMC. Hope Im not turning down an opportunity of a lifetime ranking these very prestigious programs lower on my list...

8) Temple - would love being in Philly and located in the heart of Philly's most opioid stricken neighborhood. Great residents and faculty but would prefer a better name, fellowship matches aren't as impressive as other schools. Like that residents get an iphone instead of a pager.

9) Robert Wood Johnson - Rutgers: super chill and happy residents, their call schedule is very easy breezy and since their main inpatient unit is all voluntary, work tends to be easier. One of their C/L faculty is very very arts oriented and does frequent horror film analysis and other fun projects with the residents.

10) UMass - residents are all very nice but seem to be older/married/in a different stage of life. So much about this program is excellent but I dont know if Im at that point in life to settle for 4 years in a place like Worcester.

11) UVA - was interesting to hear different faculty takes on the Charlottesville riots. The distance and location moved it lower on my list. Will be getting its own psych ER soon.

12) Northwell - Zucker Hillside: beautiful brand new inpatient psych hospital. amazing modern architecture with lots of natural light and hanging plants. The units are massive in size and I thinking that I wouldnt mind getting involuntarily committed here lol. Didn't mesh with the faculty well tho and felt that the residents/patient population lacked diversity. Maybe it was just the month but traffic was so horrific on the L.I.E and i was like no.

13) Mount Sinai - St. Luke: the 4th year resident giving us the tour spent some time trashing the program. But the rest of the residents were sooo funny. The lunch at the Greek restaurant was great. The chair and PD are amazing. The facilities are NYC old but decent. The travel between St. Luke and West kinda sucks. Expensive. Has mount sinai name and has the Mount Sinai system's inpatient child units.

14) Drexel - has a very established free-standing psych hospital in a beautiful enclosed nature filled space. Different adult units, one child, geri, and intensive. Prolly lowest in prestige of the Philly programs. Their main hospital HUH is struggling and the conditions seems pretty worse for wear, esp their hospital psych unit. The residents all seem very laid back. Mostly DOs and Caribbean grads.

15) Allegheny Health System: UPMC's competitor in Pittsburgh. It's mostly DOs and they all seem chill and quirky/fun. The PD is SUPER sweet and so involved with his resident's well-being. The Psych inpatient units are 30 min away from downtown in Monroeville. Very small community program but honestly its got its strengths. Feel like its very underrated. Personally not for me but I still recommend this for people who are into smaller programs

16) Penn State - Hershey: Barely any part of this rotation is at Hershey. It's pretty much all in Harrisburg, 40 minutes away. Very depressing looking facilities. One of the residents supposed to be helping on the tour wandered off halfway and never rejoined us.

Not ranking: NJMS-Rutgers - I know some people were talking about this above. Yeah, its an IMG sweatshop. They try to frame it as "oh its really miserable work but you come out a better doctor.." but im not buying it. The PD has improved some aspects but nobody is happy about the workload and lack of attending support (but hey...mandatory yoga sessions for wellness!...) PD also said that the best type of resident is someone who never says "no". The lunch was combined with the Grand Rounds lunch. The one good part is the chair who is really cool and very passionate about Addiction Psych.

Would you mind sharing what that forth year said at St Luke's? I was considering them semi highly. Feel free to pm.

I ranked Temple lower than Drexel. I thought Temple was a pretty decent program, and while you're in objectively better facilities, I felt that you also have to deal with a significant amount of negatives. Ex. 3months of night float, limited diversity population, and extremely high drug-psych dual diagnosis.

Other than this your list is very similar to mine.

Not ranking: NJMS-Rutgers - I know some people were talking about this above. Yeah, its an IMG sweatshop. They try to frame it as "oh its really miserable work but you come out a better doctor.." but im not buying it. The PD has improved some aspects but nobody is happy about the workload and lack of attending support (but hey...mandatory yoga sessions for wellness!...) PD also said that the best type of resident is someone who never says "no". The lunch was combined with the Grand Rounds lunch. The one good part is the chair who is eally cool and very passionate about Addiction Psych.

Based on your comments..., I'm really shocked that you're ranking Jeff that high. I feel like reading your post it comes off that you like BIDMC far more.
Like you, I also really liked RWJ and UMass, but have similar thoughts on UMass re location. That said, maybe it'll be easier to fit in at UMass since you're coupled? I'm struggling with where to put it on my list because of the strength of the program and the 5yr child doohicky. GAHHHH!!!

I'm surprised at where you put pitt based on what I've heard from others!

Temple's also at the bottom of my list for similar reasons. I love philly but can't really see myself happy there.

I agree, you seem to want a very strong program with a very strong pathway to matching fellowships in the top, i.e great research and world class names. BIDMC probably sounds more your style. Umass I thought was pretty great. But you really would struggle there as a single fella, but coupled probably not.

I want to PM you but I don't think I can due to your privacy settings. Any other thoughts on Penn State and why it's the last one on your ROL? It's really, really high up there for me if not number one for personal reasons. It's one of the "better" actual university programs that I have on my ROL. I felt like it was a mid-tier (?) decent program with great fellowship placement. Anything else I'm missing?

Anyone know why UNLV is ranked second to last in terms of reputation on Doximity?

Apparently he's like that for most applicants but I dont like him establishing this "power dynamic" so early...the process of interview is supposed to be two people mutually learning about each other

chiming in on the Jeff PD interview with completely unsolicited thoughts. I wasn't warned about the PD's interview style and was badly turned off by it. when I walk in, there's some mutual expectation about small talk and complimenting and basic interview niceties that I just thought was a given at every single interview. and after talking to a lot of Jeff students (a lot... if you're a Jeff student I probably grilled you on this, sorry) my overall impression was that it's less of a "power dynamic" and more that he's jaded by the interview process and his way of keeping things interesting is having this confrontational interview style. everyone I talked to, from students to residents, the PD is approachable and extremely involved and is always happy to take a question or call. I see you already ranked Jeff highly so this probably doesn't matter though.

Anyone know why UNLV is ranked second to last in terms of reputation on Doximity?
I know nothing about the program itself other than I'm pretty sure it's the only program in Vegas, which is a large city with a pretty broad socioeconomic base. You probably also see more acute mania / acute but higher functioning psychosis given the location. Nevada itself is globally pretty underserved. That's all to say I'd imagine there's plenty of varied pathology and also opportunity to stick around after residency if you end up liking the area.

chiming in on the Jeff PD interview with completely unsolicited thoughts. I wasn't warned about the PD's interview style and was badly turned off by it. when I walk in, there's some mutual expectation about small talk and complimenting and basic interview niceties that I just thought was a given at every single interview. and after talking to a lot of Jeff students (a lot... if you're a Jeff student I probably grilled you on this, sorry) my overall impression was that it's less of a "power dynamic" and more that he's jaded by the interview process and his way of keeping things interesting is having this confrontational interview style. everyone I talked to, from students to residents, the PD is approachable and extremely involved and is always happy to take a question or call. I see you already ranked Jeff highly so this probably doesn't matter though.

I feel bad that you weren't warned about it. I know it really soured your experience. That said I totally agree with you... while Certa's a hardass in some ways, he still shows up to work at 7 every morning to talk to his residents about what they saw the night before. I think that goes to show how invested he is in their learning. I really really really respected that. All the residents I spoke to also have nothing but nice things to say about him.... and that's after they called him a hardo re: interviews.

Chalk it up to the old school philly love thing haha.

Last edited:
Really all of the above are being considered. Need to be somewhere that the significant other would be okay with moving to. She prefers Texas for family reasons, but my two favorite programs were Dartmouth and HSS. It seemed that these programs had the best opportunities as far as my interests go. A little nervous about program director transition at HSS, but they seem to have good addiction training; Harvard affiliation is a plus, and I would love to get some training experience at McLean. Enjoyed Baylor and Austin.
Utah would be nice as it's near mountains and I can ski; got an awkward feeling from some residents but loved the faculty members I met.
Didn't really like the cities Gainesville or Shreveport. UF seemed like a good program; Shreveport was pretty rough/I didnt like it at all.
Liked NOLAs culture and we have lots of friends living in the city.
Home program is smaller and not really known for being strong in psychiatry.
Mayo seemed like it would be great for me but significant other does not want to be in Rochester. I wasn't a huge fan of Rochester either but really like the residents/faculty; honestly felt like my best fit as far as personality goes.

Unless you are dead set on moving to Boston I would rank your Texas programs higher. Both Baylor and UT Austin would probably have stronger, more diverse training. Yes south shore would have McLean rotations which are amazing, but they spend a CRIMINAL amount of time (5/6th of their rotations per funding mandate) in the VA system which (nothing against them) is a HUGE deficit of any VA heavy program.

Hey so I’m really really conflicted and also need insight into NYMC metropolitan hospital for psychiatry. How did people who’ve interviewed there or are aware of the program feel about faculty, overall program quality and job prospects after graduation? Does this program still have a bad rep ... the previous sdn content on it the one I saw in 2012 basically says to avoid the program.

Any insight will be really appreciated I’m so lost!

I saw a post by a supposed psych resident at Metropolitan talking about how he wanted to transfer but the program wouldn’t let him. Unfortunately, I’m having trouble finding the post right now. It may have been on another forum.

I saw a post by a supposed psych resident at Metropolitan talking about how he wanted to transfer but the program wouldn’t let him. Unfortunately, I’m having trouble finding the post right now. It may have been on another forum.
I think i saw that as well but it was from like a while back? i think either 2008 or 2012? Or is this a recent post