Official 2021-2022 Gastroenterology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
programs do take step attempts seriously. you need serious contacts to get over that blip
Agreed. Not sure why people are saying it’s “fine”. The only person I knew who applied with a failed CS had to apply a couple times and make some big time connections through research to get a spot. But everyone’s story is different.

Members don't see this ad.

Agreed. Not sure why people are saying it’s “fine”. The only person I knew who applied with a failed CS had to apply a couple times and make some big time connections through research to get a spot. But everyone’s story is different.
know someone with attempt in step 3, able to match in 1st attempt due to strong research background.

Reactions: 1 user
programs do take step attempts seriously. you need serious contacts to get over that blip

The last cycle I applied it didn't seem to be a barrier at all, at least for interviews. Never had it mentioned by anyone either. I am confused why it is an obstruction now, especially after the test has been permanently canceled.

Members don't see this ad :)
The last cycle I applied it didn't seem to be a barrier at all, at least for interviews. Never had it mentioned by anyone either. I am confused why it is an obstruction now, especially after the test has been permanently canceled.
it can affect ranking. I get your point on CS getting cancelled. but fellowship faculty have been largely not up to date with residency application. I wish you good luck and hope your rest of the CV can impress them enough to rank you within top 10

Did anyone receive Boston University message?
At this time our interview sessions are full.
Should any openings occur, we will re-review your application and let you know if we are able to offer you an interview

Was it a rejection or more like wait list?

Did anyone who received an invite from University of Maryland get a f/u email about dates?

Did anyone receive Boston University message?
At this time our interview sessions are full.
Should any openings occur, we will re-review your application and let you know if we are able to offer you an interview

Was it a rejection or more like wait list?
Sounds more like a rejection, I got it as well.
Did anyone who received an invite from University of Maryland get a f/u email about dates?
Not yet

I also got this email. I took it more as a rejection because I personally feel the likelihood of them having extra interview spots is low? Not sure though...
It’s a rejection.

I also got this email. I took it more as a rejection because I personally feel the likelihood of them having extra interview spots is low? Not sure though...
is a polite rejection

Reactions: 3 users
I am an IMG on JI with good research background and currently doing a hep year. I have only received 2 interviews at this point. Not sure how long I need to wait before I start looking for backup jobs. It’s really hard not to panic.

I am an IMG on JI with good research background and currently doing a hep year. I have only received 2 interviews at this point. Not sure how long I need to wait before I start looking for backup jobs. It’s really hard not to panic.
At least you got some interviews. I don't get how I improved my CV with pubs and a chief year and am getting nothing.

Honestly though, my friends who are on J1 were asking if they could do another hepatology year or maybe motility or something. I don't know if thats viable? Just a thought

Members don't see this ad :)
At least you got some interviews. I don't get how I improved my CV with pubs and a chief year and am getting nothing.

Honestly though, my friends who are on J1 were asking if they could do another hepatology year or maybe motility or something. I don't know if thats viable? Just a thought
I am so sorry you haven’t gotten any. You’re right, at least I have 2. This season is really hard and unpredictable.

I don’t think another hepatology year would be feasible or even add anything to my current CV. It sometimes feels very distressing as to how this is all about connections in the end.

Hoping for the best for all of us!

Do places filter out candidates that interviewed in years prior?

I'm seeing places I got interviews last year pop up, and it doesn't make sense to me. I improved my app with posters and pubs, and am doing an extra academic year, didn't op for a nocturnist/hospitalist job. Sorry, just need a place to vent frustration. Not doing too good mentally.

Yet another silent week. Would people say we are at least mid cycle?

I'm seeing places I got interviews last year pop up, and it doesn't make sense to me. I improved my app with posters and pubs, and am doing an extra academic year, didn't op for a nocturnist/hospitalist job. Sorry, just need a place to vent frustration. Not doing too good mentally.
I also have gotten nothing from prior places. Except where I know people.

Yet another silent week. Would people say we are at least mid cycle?
I'm waiting until the end of the month. A lot of websites say they accept apps until the end of August. I'm going to wait until then before I start reaching out.

Im not sure... maybe? I think it depends though. Like if they ranked you highly and you didn't rank them, then why would they interview you again when spots are so limited/coveted? Or if they ranked you low for reasons that cannot be fixed (ie interview was bad), then I can see that they would not want to interview you. On the other hand, if they ranked you middle, and they liked you, but they wanted something "more" and you did that something "more", then maybe? In the latter scenario I would send an email next week to that program. This is IF you reached out to them last year after you didn't match and asked them for feedback about your app and if they gave you feedback and you implemented that this year, then yeah, email them. Does this make sense? I am just writing my train of thought without proofreading haha.

but good luck. keep your head up. and we have to just hope programs see your potential on the app!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi. Does anyone have any information on whether any GI journals accepting clinical vignettes as abstracts at the moment?

Can anyone supply information on the univeristy of maryland/Mercy program?

Is it two separate programs? during ROL is it two separate institutions?

THank you

Can anyone supply information on the univeristy of maryland/Mercy program?

Is it two separate programs? during ROL is it two separate institutions?

THank you
Looks like 2 different tracks under the Maryland GI program. There is a clinical track all at UMD and then another clinical track with 1 year at UMD and 2 years at Mercy. If you do the Mercy track, you interview at both places, but it's all under the Maryland program, and you rank the track that you interviewed for.

Man, no interviews yet but the rejections are rolling in. I have a red flag in my application from med school and I've worked hard (and been very successful) to prove that was a fluke. Disheartening, but not trying to give up hope!

Is the Marshall University program interview in person?

Looks like 2 different tracks under the Maryland GI program. There is a clinical track all at UMD and then another clinical track with 1 year at UMD and 2 years at Mercy. If you do the Mercy track, you interview at both places, but it's all under the Maryland program, and you rank the track that you interviewed for.
What if you interview for both tracks?

those programs will send it via email (as I recall ) don't have the list
I believe a few of the programs that required supplemental materials were Stanford, John’s Hopkins and Iowa

What if you interview for both tracks?
The mercy track is more involved with dr. Thuluvath. After the first year of UMD you’re essentially the sole fellow that does work for that mercy GI group for 2 years. The only other connection to UMD is just the opportunity to sit in on the conferences and such but that’s about it.

The mercy track is more involved with dr. Thuluvath. After the first year of UMD you’re essentially the sole fellow that does work for that mercy GI group for 2 years. The only other connection to UMD is just the opportunity to sit in on the conferences and such but that’s about it.

You seem to have at least some familiarity with this program. Do you have any thoughts/opinions about it, either positive or reservations? Especially in regards to future employment if we are looking at possibility of academic medicine.

I called a few programs personally, sounds like many of the top tier are done sending out interviews. Does anyone from Penn, Brigham, UTSW know if they send out a second wave?

You seem to have at least some familiarity with this program. Do you have any thoughts/opinions about it, either positive or reservations? Especially in regards to future employment if we are looking at possibility of academic medicine.
it's a GI program. Given how competitive it is that in itself is valuable. Having said that , you work for a private practice. Private practice medicine is very very different from academic medicine. for instance you ll get consulted as an in patient for stuff as silly as constipation . (essentially put in miralax orders).. and you ll follow patients till they are discharged... they ll also be more particular about notes and will code them to optimize billing... further rounds won't have a ton of discussion... bascially scope/no scope kind of rounds...

anyone knows about this program : New York Medical College at St.Michaels Hospital, NJ? No info on program website. Seems like 1 fellow per year. Is that true?
TIA

Is the Marshall University program interview in person?

It very much looks like it...

Marshall GI interviews as I heard are held in person so I guess Please no handshake or hugs and wear a mask.
They have a faculty who is like a Super Star on social media and has won a couple of awards and recognition from various GI societies. I can't post her profile here or links to her achievement but is a good idea to always check on the faculty to see where they graduated from, their achievement, and the history of the program.

Reactions: 1 users
Some tips :

Always ask about advance rotations: such as motility, IBD, interventional (EUS ERCP), and liver rotations and mentorship/ advice for future plans.

Have a plan for your future (But make it to be serving the need of the program or taking what you learned from the program and amplifying it where ever ypu go, " Say it is an honor to be your fellow and have you as a mentor for my future"

Do not go in any interview and act like you are the second coming of the lord (Geez I can't believe I have to say this)

BE HUMBLE, BE CONFIDENT and sell your candidacy for the program and for the STATE or people the program serves.

I truly hope everyone matches.

Is anyone declining invites at this point? And in general do people ever decline?

Marshall GI interviews as I heard are held in person so I guess Please no handshake or hugs and wear a mask.
They have a faculty who is like a Super Star on social media and has won a couple of awards and recognition from various GI societies. I can't post her profile here or links to her achievement but is a good idea to always check on the faculty to see where they graduated from, their achievement, and the history of the program.
I have long had the suspicion whether you are that female faculty you are referring to

anyone knows about this program : New York Medical College at St.Michaels Hospital, NJ? No info on program website. Seems like 1 fellow per year. Is that true?
TIA
Not at all.
2 or 3 per year.
st Michael is an actually a strong program. The PD is a Wondefull person.

I know GI is super competitive and I’m lucky to have a few interviews but none are near where my family is and the few who are near them have sent out interviews to others or rejected me even after reaching out. Does fellowship in a certain area typically lock you in to a career in that area too? Looking at prior grads on websites they all stay nearby, though I don’t know if it’s just if it’s because they wanted to or not.

I know GI is super competitive and I’m lucky to have a few interviews but none are near where my family is and the few who are near them have sent out interviews to others or rejected me even after reaching out. Does fellowship in a certain area typically lock you in to a career in that area too? Looking at prior grads on websites they all stay nearby, though I don’t know if it’s just if it’s because they wanted to or not.

Jobs in GI is a buyers market...it's actually opposite of competitive so far... I am not even half way through fellowship and Ive been spammed by recruiters all over the country... mobility is no issue at all..no matter where you do fellowship you can go to any part of the country..

From this week and all the way into end of sept intervenes will come.
Be prepared. Do not loose hope.

And keep us updated daily

Trying to grasp where I have gone wrong... Nothing so far. I find it hard to believe that CS fail explains lack of IVs, especially as I got many last application.

AMG - 245/236/230 failed CS first attempt, passed second (ghosts of the past).

Middle-tier residency. Hospitalist working at major academic/GI center for a year before applying, including teaching residents/med students.

10 pubs, 7 GI and of those 3 of them FA (1 of these case report, others research). 4 others pending at time of application.

4 orals at acg/ddw, 2 of them plenaries, multiple other orals as coauthor

16 posters as FA at acg/ddw, about double overall as and have been on several other orals as an author.

3 GI letters, 1 nationally known, and my PD
Be patient. Sept interviews will come. Some even in oct.

Is anyone able to switch their Loyola interview with me? The only day available to schedule is 10/9, but I am part of a wedding that day. Would be willing to do 9/18 or 10/2. Thank you!

From this week and all the way into end of sept intervenes will come.
Be prepared. Do not loose hope.

And keep us updated daily
I really appreciate people like you. Thank you