**Official 2021 Pedo PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is this a bad question for programs to ask? I’ve seen/heard a lot of concern about this question but I think it’s reasonable of them to ask, similar to how I’m also interested in how many people programs interview too. I assume they’re using this question to find out where they stand in your playing field. Programs have to pay for each person they rank so they probably want to rank someone who is likely to rank their program as well

Members don't see this ad.

At one interview, I was asked where else I was interviewing. I was honest and told them where I was interviewing and why I was interested in those programs. In my case, there’s a common thread. Places I interviewed all have a heavy emphasis on SHCN and public health. So I used the question as an opportunity to reiterate my focus on those areas.

As far as programs indicating how they will rank you... my understanding is that although the they are allowed to make generalized statements that they like you, or that they would love to have you as a resident, they generally won’t make any explicit statements. Most programs won’t say much at all, since they don’t want to influence the way candidates make their lists.

As far as the way I’ll rank, I’m just going to do it in order of my preference. I’m not smart (or stupid) enough to try to game the system.

Reactions: 1 user
Is this a bad question for programs to ask? I’ve seen/heard a lot of concern about this question but I think it’s reasonable of them to ask, similar to how I’m also interested in how many people programs interview too. I assume they’re using this question to find out where they stand in your playing field. Programs have to pay for each person they rank so they probably want to rank someone who is likely to rank their program as well
just like we all want a chance at matching at X program, X program benefits knowing how many you are interviewing at to see how desirable you are as an applicant at other places. sure some programs have differences in their preferences, but asking how many interviews/where are you interviewing lets them know that if you are a highly desirable candidate in the eyes of their peers. thus if they want you to be their resident, they must also rank you high to have that chance. it also helps them assess the quality of applicants they are attracting that year.

Members don't see this ad :)

I thought they rank all their candidates from most preferred to least preferred.

I thought they rank all their candidates from most preferred to least preferred.
^^^^i agree with you, doubt a program would skimp on ranks due to $$ and potentially risk having to deal with post-match. they either like you and rank you on their list ( location determined by how well they liked you vs other candidates) or they do not like you as a potential resident and leave you off of the list.

At one of my interviews, it was asked how many total program I applied and how many interviews I got? I agree with all of you guys: we should prefer them how we like them from most to least preferred and schools may do the same.
I have one more question: Did anyone here got any acceptance from Non-match program (UT Health San Antonio- Laredo side) whose interview was last Friday? I didn't remember if director mentioned how many days it will take at the end of introduction or it may be I missed it. Thank you so much in advance and Good Luck Everyone!!

Since the ranking season is approaching, what do you think about sending LOIs to the most preferred programs? and how would you feel if the PD is going to rank you high in the list?

Reactions: 1 users
Since the ranking season is approaching, what do you think about sending LOIs to the most preferred programs? and how would you feel if the PD is going to rank you high in the list?

couldn’t hurt

I don't think it'll have much impact but if you think the PD would doubt whether you'll rank them (like an applicant from Miami applying to NYU Anchorage), then it may help.

Having participated in the interview process at my site this year as a resident, I can tell you that it is probably just a waste of time. It's a nice thought, but typically they submit their ranking list within a couple days following the interviews. So a letter probably won't change anything unfortunately.

Since the ranking is coming in a few days, I also have a question,
How can you predict that your interview in a program went so well? Are there some clues that you can follow?

How can you predict that your interview in a program went so well? Are there some clues that you can follow?

Aside from statements like "Wow, you're amazing. We are going to rank you #1 and I'm going to pull out my computer and rank you while you watch" then it'll be hard to know.

I had an interview that lasted 20 minutes where I had an answer for every question yet I could not read the atmosphere / interviewers at all (and apparently neither could anyone else who interviewed at this particular NYC program lol).

I had another interview that lasted over 90 minutes and everyone was super-encouraging. To the point that on several scenario-based questions, I had to say "I'll have to admit that I don't have enough experience in that area so it's hard to give an answer I'm fully confident in, but here's what I'd do..." and even then, I'd hear "Ok. Good response!"

First interview seemed like it went well, but it was impossible to know. Second interview had several answers that were essentially "I don't know" but it felt like it went amazing. So it's likely very difficult, borderline-impossible to know unless you had a mic in the room to capture was said after you left lol.

Reactions: 3 users
Aside from statements like "Wow, you're amazing. We are going to rank you #1 and I'm going to pull out my computer and rank you while you watch" then it'll be hard to know.

I had an interview that lasted 20 minutes where I had an answer for every question yet I could not read the atmosphere / interviewers at all (and apparently neither could anyone else who interviewed at this particular NYC program lol).

I had another interview that lasted over 90 minutes and everyone was super-encouraging. To the point that on several scenario-based questions, I had to say "I'll have to admit that I don't have enough experience in that area so it's hard to give an answer I'm fully confident in, but here's what I'd do..." and even then, I'd hear "Ok. Good response!"

First interview seemed like it went well, but it was impossible to know. Second interview had several answers that were essentially "I don't know" but it felt like it went amazing. So it's likely very difficult, borderline-impossible to know unless you had a mic in the room to capture was said after you left lol.

It is just tough to tell overall. Programs are probably feeling how we are too and unsure. At this point, go with your gut feeling (or heart) for each program and rank accordingly based on your preferences.

Members don't see this ad :)
Having participated in the interview process at my site this year as a resident, I can tell you that it is probably just a waste of time. It's a nice thought, but typically they submit their ranking list within a couple days following the interviews. So a letter probably won't change anything unfortunately.
Interesting!
May I ask about the factors you consider to rank certain applicants higher than others?

What happens if we match at a program and don't join?

What happens if we match at a program and don't join?

The match is a legal contract. So unless there’s an emergency situation (I know one program allowed an applicant to defer a year when she unexpectedly became pregnant), you’ll probably be banned form any future matches if you refuse to go where you matched.

This is from the match service’s website:

• The Match results constitute a binding commitment from which neither the applicant nor the program can withdraw. A program must offer an appointment to each applicant with whom it is matched, provided the applicant satisfies all eligibility requirements for appointment specified in advance by the institution and residency. The applicant must accept the offer from the program. A program may not offer a position to any applicant who was matched elsewhere.
  • Violations of the policies of the Match will be reported to the appropriate sponsoring organizations. Even if both parties agree to a release from the Match result, the sponsoring organizations may decide to impose penalties on those who violate the policies, such as cancellation or denial of memberships in the sponsoring organizations, barring participation in future matches, and reporting the violations to the dental school or to other Match participants.

The match is a legal contract. So unless there’s an emergency situation (I know one program allowed an applicant to defer a year when she unexpectedly became pregnant), you’ll probably be banned form any future matches if you refuse to go where you matched.

This is from the match service’s website:

• The Match results constitute a binding commitment from which neither the applicant nor the program can withdraw. A program must offer an appointment to each applicant with whom it is matched, provided the applicant satisfies all eligibility requirements for appointment specified in advance by the institution and residency. The applicant must accept the offer from the program. A program may not offer a position to any applicant who was matched elsewhere.
  • Violations of the policies of the Match will be reported to the appropriate sponsoring organizations. Even if both parties agree to a release from the Match result, the sponsoring organizations may decide to impose penalties on those who violate the policies, such as cancellation or denial of memberships in the sponsoring organizations, barring participation in future matches, and reporting the violations to the dental school or to other Match participants.
Thank you so much :)

Anyone have any experiences or know of anyone with experiences with non-match programs and how long did non match program present an offer post interview? (that week, following week, or closer to match?)
PS> Good luck everyone applying and interviewing! We got this!

Anyone have any experiences or know of anyone with experiences with non-match programs and how long did non match program present an offer post interview? (that week, following week, or closer to match?)
PS> Good luck everyone applying and interviewing! We got this!

I think there’s a wide degree of variation. I know several people who have already received offers. One person was given the offer at the end of the interview.

If you are wondering about a specific program you might want to ask if anyone knows about that one in particular.

PS Good luck to you as well!

I think there’s a wide degree of variation. I know several people who have already received offers. One person was given the offer at the end of the interview.

If you are wondering about a specific program you might want to ask if anyone knows about that one in particular.

PS Good luck to you as well!
Do you know which program already gave offers and which program gave offer at the end of the interview?

Do current residents play any role at all in the ranking decision of programs? Just wondering if it mattered how well I did with the residents' interview

Do current residents play any role at all in the ranking decision of programs? Just wondering if it mattered how well I did with the residents' interview

I was explicitly told by a program director that he picks residents for, among many reasons, their perceived ability to work with second years. Whether or not the residents have a direct say, is hard to know, but I interviewed GPR candidates before and I was routinely asked of my input (no idea what they did with it though since I didn’t really care lol)

Has anyone heard from Children's Hospital of Michigan?

Do you know which program already gave offers and which program gave offer at the end of the interview?

I am aware nova and UBC gave out offers. I don’t know anyone who got an acceptance there personally though.

I’ve heard that Staten Island has issued some offers. I did not interview there, so this is secondhand information. :)

From what I’ve heard from residents and PDs, residents will have the opportunity to veto an applicant. In other words, if they tell the PD that they think an applicant would be difficult to work with, the PD will probably not rank that person.

I’ve never been a PD but I’ve owned a practice with nine employees, and I can tell you that the last thing I want to do with my time is play referee. So when I hire someone, I definitely consider their compatibility with my current staff. I would guess that PDs feel the same way.

So my guess is that although the opinion of residents can’t get you into a program, it could certainly keep you out of one.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard from Children's Hospital of Michigan?

I have not. Another applicant that I’ve chatted with also applied there, and has not heard anything. At this point we’re assuming we’ve been ghosted, but we don’t know for sure.

I feel discouraged. Not sure how this cycle will turn out. I applied a few years ago, applied broadly, had one interview, and did not match. This year, didn't get as many invites as I hoped after applying to 30+ programs. Graduated a few years back, have amazing references and great personal statement. Did gpr, been working for a few years, but do not have great class rank and grades. I am pretty sure grades impacted me significantly this cycle and there is not much I can do at this point and the application process for this cycle has been very expensive for me. I am feeling drained and helpless in that my past grades are really impacting my goals. I have been losing sleep in that my application is not giving me a chance. I had two interviews. Is it just my case, or have there been less interviews this cycle?

I feel discouraged. Not sure how this cycle will turn out. I applied a few years ago, applied broadly, had one interview, and did not match. This year, didn't get as many invites as I hoped after applying to 30+ programs. Graduated a few years back, have amazing references and great personal statement. Did gpr, been working for a few years, but do not have great class rank and grades. I am pretty sure grades impacted me significantly this cycle and there is not much I can do at this point and the application process for this cycle has been very expensive for me. I am feeling drained and helpless in that my past grades are really impacting my goals. I have been losing sleep in that my application is not giving me a chance. I had two interviews. Is it just my case, or have there been less interviews this cycle?
I’m an international student and I got one interview this year. I feel the same way, I’m discouraged because I don't have a good class rank... But I guess we did all that we needed to do and that’s what matters. Some things are just out of our hands.

This is probably gonna start some chaos but I think virtual interviews allowed people to apply to more programs but not necessarily ones they’d likely attend. Ultimately, it only cost $90 this cycle to apply and interview at a program - regardless of distance - but could be several hundred if you had to travel and pay for lodging.

Given that I’ve seen on here and heard elsewhere that it’s been pretty much the same batch of people at nearly every interview speaks to that “theory.” Next cycle might be better, assuming it reverts back to in-person interviews.

I don’t doubt you had a good application from what you said, but when you’re competing against more applications rather than more applicants, this is what happens.

There was even an article on medical residencies that are concerned with excess post-match spots because they’re dealing with the same issue this cycle. So don’t feel down - it’s not you, it’s just this unique environment we’re in

This is probably gonna start some chaos but I think virtual interviews allowed people to apply to more programs but not necessarily ones they’d likely attend. Ultimately, it only cost $90 this cycle to apply and interview at a program - regardless of distance - but could be several hundred if you had to travel and pay for lodging.

Given that I’ve seen on here and heard elsewhere that it’s been pretty much the same batch of people at nearly every interview speaks to that “theory.” Next cycle might be better, assuming it reverts back to in-person interviews.

I don’t doubt you had a good application from what you said, but when you’re competing against more applications rather than more applicants, this is what happens.

There was even an article on medical residencies that are concerned with excess post-match spots because they’re dealing with the same issue this cycle. So don’t feel down - it’s not you, it’s just this unique environment we’re in
I agree. Anecdotally I’ve heard that applicants are, on average, applying to more programs than usual. In theory this will lead to programs matching to candidates further down their lists to fill the spots. Also it would (again, in theory) lead to more post match spots.

That being said, the phase I programs didn’t have an unusual of post-match spots open so who knows. In the end though, it doesn’t really change anything. We all need to submit our rank lists, and be ready to submit post-match applications if need be.

(Some statistician could probably have fun with the data once this cycle is complete. )

There was only 1 school with post match spots for ortho this year and no perio programs with post match spots. Prosth had about the same number of post match spots as they normally do. I don’t think the theory of there being more post match spots this year is necessarily true.

Having gone through the ortho cycle this past year, I noticed many of the same comments about our cycle in the ortho thread that I am seeing in here regarding competitiveness with the lack of in person interviews.

There was only 1 school with post match spots for ortho this year and no perio programs with post match spots. Prosth had about the same number of post match spots as they normally do. I don’t think the theory of there being more post match spots this year is necessarily true.

Having gone through the ortho cycle this past year, I noticed many of the same comments about our cycle in the ortho thread that I am seeing in here regarding competitiveness with the lack of in person interviews.
i agree i think post-match will be the same if not more limited than previous years. if anything I think the applicant pool ( and interviewee pool) is larger and more diverse than previous. overlap between interviewees at multiple programs is inevitable, but some programs have compensated for this by interviewing more candidates this year.

i agree i think post-match will be the same if not more limited than previous years. if anything I think the applicant pool ( and interviewee pool) is larger and more diverse than previous. overlap between interviewees at multiple programs is inevitable, but some programs have compensated for this by interviewing more candidates this year.

I agree. And they probably will also compensate by ranking more applicants to make sure all the positions are matched. I don’t think programs will want to take on the task of interviewing applicants again if they can avoid it.

Interesting with ortho, perio and prosth. It’s never an easy thing to admit but I was wrong! Thanks for sharing!

Interesting with ortho, perio and prosth. It’s never an easy thing to admit but I was wrong! Thanks for sharing!
Who knows. You may not be wrong in the end. We’re all just guessing and theorizing here. There’s no precedent. :)

Now it’s pretty much just 5 weeks of us sitting around and impatiently waiting. Years of preparation and it all comes down to just waiting now. Lol

Who knows. You may not be wrong in the end. We’re all just guessing and theorizing here. There’s no precedent. :)

Now it’s pretty much just 5 weeks of us sitting around and impatiently waiting. Years of preparation and it all comes down to just waiting now. Lol
Phase 2 is PAINFUL

I’m an international student and I got one interview this year. I feel the same way, I’m discouraged because I don't have a good class rank... But I guess we did all that we needed to do and that’s what matters. Some things are just out of our hands.
We are in the same boat! An international applicant who received only 2 invites.
But does the class rank really matter?

We are in the same boat! An international applicant who received only 2 invites.
I think it depends, if you have a class of like 30 people, it’s not big of a deal, but if you have a class of 150, it’s a little bit of different. However, it’s just a possibility.

I also think that If you got an interview then you’re off the bad, they’re only trying now to know you as a person. Although, I don’t know how it might affect the ranking, but, let’s hope for the best!

this year is really a tough year, but I think it will not cover the truth that you are a good pediatric dentist no matter getting the position or not. I understand it is discouraging and depressing when facing the unsure and the mere chance... I am an international student. too. I face the bad days a few weeks ago when seeing the schools sending out invitations by the list, but no news in my email. But there's a friend who told me that, he got to know some people that they just get one interview, but that's the right place for them and they really get match, so don't lose faith, the game is not over until the last minute!!!

I think it matters, but they might look at the GPA instead of class rank since the number of students might be confused, lol. For example, my class of university only has 50 people. As an international student, I think the number is totally different from the U.S.?

Yea I had 380 people in my class - I graduated with people that I'd never met before or did meet and had no clue they were in my class. My class rank was middle 50% and GPA was only 3.2 so they must look at other factors. In fact, my GPA and class rank were never brought up at any interviews. They only wanted to know about the job I currently hold.

Hey guys, I know all of us are waiting for big day- Match. If any of you had interview at UThealth San Antonio- Laredo site (non-match) program, did you get acceptance letter by chance? Thanks a lot!!
Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!!

Yes, I emailed one of them and they are yet to select for interviews; late January they said.

Hey guys,
I’ve heard some programs reach out to the applicants that they interviewed and let them know they have ranked them. Was wondering if this is true or not. Also does it matter if we don’t submit our ranking ASAP?

Hey guys,
I’ve heard some programs reach out to the applicants that they interviewed and let them know they have ranked them. Was wondering if this is true or not. Also does it matter if we don’t submit our ranking ASAP?

It doesn’t matter when you submit because it can be edited up until the last day. No program will ever be able to know how you moved them around. And if they do, then I suggest filing a complaint with your FBI man. Mines actually been giving me dumb shopping requests so I gotta reach out to mine

• Haha
It is true. Someone I know got a call. I don’t think submitting or not submitting ASAP will matter as long as you do it before the deadline.

Hey guys,

Programs can reach out and tell applicants that they ranked them. This is from an email from match:
IMG_4915.jpg

It doesn’t make any difference when you rank as long as you submit your rank list before the deadline.

Reactions: 2 users