**Official 2021 Pedo PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I GOT INTO NYU LANGONE TAMPA FLORIDA!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations to everyone who matched🎉

Let's get this thread going...

Program Matched:
Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
International Student (yes/no):
NBME scores:
Class Ranking/Size:
Externship(s)/where:
Research:
Extracurriculars:
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position:

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any other NYU Langone Tampa fellow residents on here?

Program Matched: University of Texas at San Antonio/ Laredo
Dental School Attended: Loma Linda University
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2012
International Student (yes/no): yes, attended international dentist program
NBME scores: NBDEI: 84/ NBDEII: 77
Class Ranking/Size: not ranked
Externship(s)/where: none
Research: none
Extracurriculars: hobbies traveling and yoga, Volunteering, and mission trip during dental school (a long time ago)
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 35/3/3/ pre-matched so I did not rank any program.

My NBDE scores were average, my GPA is 3.29 so nothing exceptional academically. My main strength that I have been working with the underserved kids for about 8 years. I maintained active level 2 pediatric oral conscious sedation permit with so many pediatric dentistry continuing education courses. ( P.S. experience can be against you if you don't demonstrate that you are teachable)
I also speak four languages.

I have interviewed during previous cycles but I never had the luck to get in. With average GPA and NBDE scores I knew that my chances in getting interviews' invitations were slim. On the other hand, I understand that once you get invited to an interview all you need to do is to make the interviewers really like you!

So I took advantage of the lock down and I used the services of a career coach. 12 sessions of coaching were crucial to build my confidence. I was eventually able to answer any tricky question and show to the interview committees the best version of myself. I did awesome in my three interviews, and if I did not pre-match I am sure I would have matched.

If you have the passion for pediatric dentistry or any specialty, believe in yourself and keep trying.
I hope my post can help and in case you need the service of my life coach here is the info (not sponsored :p)
Email: [email protected]

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Program Matched: University of Texas at San Antonio/ Laredo
Dental School Attended: Loma Linda University
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2012
International Student (yes/no): yes, attended international dentist program
NBME scores: NBDEI: 84/ NBDEII: 77
Class Ranking/Size: not ranked
Research: none
Extracurriculars: hobbies traveling and yoga, Volunteering and mission trip during dental school (long time ago)
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 35/3/3/ pre-matched so I did not rank any program.

My NBDE scores were average, my GPA is 3.2 so nothing exceptional academically. My main strength that I have been working with the underserved kids for about 8 years. I maintained active level 2 pediatric oral conscious sedation permit with so many pediatric dentistry continuing education courses. ( P.S. experience can be against you if you don't demonstrate that you are teachable)
I also speak four languages.

I have interviewed during previous cycles but I never had the luck to get in. With average GPA and NBDE scores I knew that my chances in getting interviews' invitations were slim. On the other hand, I understand that once you get invited to an interview all you need to do is to make the interviewers really like you!

So I took advantage of the lock down and I used the services of a career coach. 12 sessions of coaching were crucial to build my confidence. I was eventually able to answer any tricky question and show to the interview committees the best version of myself. I did awesome in my three interviews, and if I did not pre-match I am sure I would have matched.

If you have the passion for pediatric dentistry or any specialty, believe in yourself and keep trying.
I hope my post can help and in case you need the service of my life coach here is the info (not sponsored :p)
Email: [email protected]
How did you get your NBDE scores?

You can request them if you took it after 2012
They can be sent, but you can't see them. I was hoping something had changed since I've always been curious what my scores were, but I just confirmed with ADEA PASS that there's no way for me to see my scores. Took Part 1 and 2 in 2018 / 2020

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from NYU Langone Phoenix or Children’s Hospital of Michigan?

Program Matched: NYU Langone Brooklyn
Dental School Attended: University of the Pacific
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2021
International Student (yes/no): no
Class Ranking/Size: 5/144
Research: Undergraduate research on Bottlenose dolphins for 1.5 years, 2 poster presentations
Extracurriculars: Piano teacher, ASDA D11 Pre-Dental Co-chair, Tutoring children as well as my underclassmen, pediatric study club secretary, medical mission trip
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 14/3/3/ DID NOT MATCH

I post matched to NYU Langone Brooklyn. I think my biggest strength was my GPA and extensive teaching experience. During my interviews I got a lot of people say I was exceptional and mature so it was very discouraging when I did not match. I think my weaknesses include not having shadowed a pediatric dentist, and poor interview skills. I regret not applying to more programs, especially since this year we didn't need to travel anywhere and I regret only applying to top programs (per my program director's advice). When I found out I didn't match I pretty much immediately reached out to all the open programs and submit my application to NYU Langone even though the deadline wasn't for another week. I think being early to the game is a big advantage.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
I want to thank everyone who was part of this forum! All the information posted on here was super helpful throughout the application process. It feels weird to not obsessively check the forum every hour for new updates lol. Congrats to everyone who matched! For anyone who did not match this year, don't give up, take the year to improve, learn and become an even stronger applicant! This year was like no other with many curveballs but we will get through it together!

Children’s Hospital of Michigan post matched positions have been filled. I just received email saying so.

Were the majority of interviews via Zoom this year ?
Any idea for next round?
Thanks 😊

Hi!! Congrats everyone on matching! I had a series of unfortunate events over the past couple of weeks and am looking to post-match into a pediatric program. If anyone has any last minute change of plans, please reach out to me personally!

Hey everyone. I'm leaving my current job at the non-profit children's organization that I work at in Harlem. It's a mix a clinic- and school-based dentistry, with the former being 2 days a week at 9-5 and the other 3 days from 8-4 (schools located within walking distance to columbia and another up in Inwood). Patient base is predominantly children in foster care and those with developmental disabilities, all up to the age of 22. No evenings (though it was being considered pre-covid) and definitely no weekends. Starting pay for me was 125k (about $3,300 biweekly after taxes). HOWEVER, right now, it's likely part-time. I've been partially-furloughed since May of last year and have been working 3 days a week (MWF), which is $2,155. Malpractice is covered. Plenty of sick time, vacation, personal days and CME. I'm mainly leaving because of the furlough but the job is otherwise awesome and I will miss it. While I did not match, the dentist whom I replaced did match, so my failures are by no means indicative of what this job could do for you. I'll be leaving in June (ironically, to go to another school-based non-profit in the Bronx, but they have full-time hours, so there's that lol). If anyone here is interested, please DM and I'll try to answer any and all questions I can. Good luck to everyone else finishing residencies / work / waiting on the new chapter to start!

Hi everyone! Congrats again on those who matched! I am still looking to post match to a pedo program. If you know of any position that has a last minute opening or anyone who has change of plans, please let me know and reach out! I would love to be in touch!

Congratulations to everyone who secure a position.

I apologize folks for repeatedly posting and deleting the post.

I recently interviewed at NYU about 2 weeks ago and have not heard back from them. Does that Indicate I Did not get an opportunity?

The main reason it's stressful that the program starts on July 1, 2021, and I am working as an associate dentist in Canada 🇨 with a contract of 3months notice of termination, and I have resigned from my position to prevent any future conflicts. Just in case If I can secure a position

So I have resigned and do not know whether I will get into the program.😞

your input is valuable.
Thank you
I don’t think that was a good idea resigning and I understand why. I am not saying you won’t get it but you shouldn’t count your chickens before they hatch. Good luck!

I am sure there must be colleagues who interviewed and must be waiting for the Reply or Received the confirmation.

I am waiting for their reply😊.
Thanks

It’s hard to give a list of interview questions, as each program has their own style on interview (1:1, round table, serial, etc), and their own style of questions.

I got everything from, “Why do you want to go into peds?” to, “What was the last thing that made you laugh out loud?”

Some questions were clearly related to my qualifications and motivations, while others seemed designed to evaluate my ability to think on the spot.

For what it’s worth (and please, take this with a massive grain of salt, as I’m no expert), I do suggest practicing so you feel more comfortable in an interview. And it’s useful to try to predict what questions the might ask that are specific to you (ie I got asked about how I would adjust to being a student after owning my own practice for so long). But I think your focus should be on being genuine, and comfortable in yourself.

I understand that this advice is amorphous, and difficult to implement. But try to go into the interview with the idea that you have just as much to offer the program as they have to offer you. You’re really evaluating each other. Try to forget about the power imbalance and just be relaxed.

Best of luck peeps. :)

Reactions: 1 users
If you have any questions about applying/reapplying/interviewing, please message me! Last year, I applied to 15 programs, got 6 interviews (I accidentally submitted my CV twice instead of my PS to 4 of these programs (huge oversight on my behalf) and 1 of those programs surprisingly still interviewed me and expressed that the rest of my application was so captivating, they still wanted to meet me.) My clinical grades were incomplete when I applied, and schools still gave me a chance because I created such a strong application, and I can teach you how to do the same. Sometimes it's not what you say but how you say it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey! So I am debating whether to apply to this ... but probably the next cycle.
Background info - been a GP for 7 years now. Been gravitating towards Pedo through the years and I am just starting to look into the ADEA and all the different programs and requirements.

I would preferably like to stay in Houston unless another program is absolutely amazing and worth it.

I am trying to
1. parse through programs - is the best way to search programs and see their websites for what they offer? Most of them sound very similar in terms of experiences so I would rather get first hand knowledge from current residents. I tried seeing if there is any commentary on Houston Pedo school and didnt see anything so I wasnt sure if people talk about their respective residencies on here? (I know some residents may not want to share the not so good stuff since it may be traced back to them due to limited class sizes).
2. any non traditional applicants here? GP --> Pedo. Is that seen as a pro or con by schools? I would think real world experience would only be beneficial... but again, just testing the waters here!

Any and all advice would be welcome! Good luck to all applicants :)

Hey! So I am debating whether to apply to this ... but probably the next cycle.
Background info - been a GP for 7 years now. Been gravitating towards Pedo through the years and I am just starting to look into the ADEA and all the different programs and requirements.

I would preferably like to stay in Houston unless another program is absolutely amazing and worth it.

I am trying to
1. parse through programs - is the best way to search programs and see their websites for what they offer? Most of them sound very similar in terms of experiences so I would rather get first hand knowledge from current residents. I tried seeing if there is any commentary on Houston Pedo school and didnt see anything so I wasnt sure if people talk about their respective residencies on here? (I know some residents may not want to share the not so good stuff since it may be traced back to them due to limited class sizes).
2. any non traditional applicants here? GP --> Pedo. Is that seen as a pro or con by schools? I would think real world experience would only be beneficial... but again, just testing the waters here!

Any and all advice would be welcome! Good luck to all applicants :)
Hello,

1. Most people sort through programs by a number of parameters using the information provided on the ADEA website. I agree that the websites will all sound very similar.
- location (as you mentioned, you want to stay in Houston)
- type of program (hospital v. school based v. hybrid). In short, hospital programs will likely have more clinical time because they may not have formal classes. School based programs more didactic and research and hybrid will be a mix.
- paid vs. unpaid (estimated stipends are also on the website)
- program reputation (this is by far the hardest information to determine. either you know a lot of recent grad pediatric dentists or current residents and can ask their opinion. virtual externships are a great way to learn more about a program and find a resident you can talk to. I would recommend going to them this cycle even if you dont plan on applying until the next. Keep in mind that residents may sugar coat their experience because no one wants to be known as the person who bashes the program they are in)
- all the rest in parsing through programs is up to what is important to you i.e class size, call schedule (generally, smaller class = more call), attending to resident ratio, degree of autonomy, cost of living in city, etc.

2. There are many non traditional applicants going from GP to peds. I've worked on applications with ppl who practiced for 14 years before deciding to do peds. Being a GP can be a pro or con depending on how you present it. The real world experience is great, but they want to know that you are teachable, humble, adaptable and willing to be molded by their philosophy. No one wants a resident who assumes they know everything because they practiced as a GP. You can certainly leverage your experience in your personal statement because you have an accurate idea of what working with children/parents is like. Ppl coming right out of school often depict pediatric dentistry like a day at the playground, and programs want to know that youre aware of what youre getting yourself into, and you can definitely speak about that.

Very true.

My five co-residents: Only one is straight out of dental school. Another is straight out of a GPR. And the other three have been practicing a bit before coming back to residency.

Maybe post this in the 2022 peds thread. I have found dates that the schools I am applying to held interviews in the past, or when they are planned if they are already announced. We can probably start compiling stuff over there a bit easier than this old thread.

Here is the link:

Thank you!!

Maybe post this in the 2022 peds thread. I have found dates that the schools I am applying to held interviews in the past, or when they are planned if they are already announced. We can probably start compiling stuff over there a bit easier than this old thread.

Here is the link:

Thank you!