**Official 2022 OMFS PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Let's get this party started.

Leonardo Dicaprio Yes GIF

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 15 users
Crazy it’s already time for 2022’s

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It’s a fun ride, even with the whole virtual bit. Enjoy it

Reactions: 1 user
does anyone know if we have to have taken NBDE Part 2 before we submit applications?

I am not requiring the NBDE part 2 for the application to be complete but I would hope it would show up by the time we start making decisions on interview candidates.
I'm assuming same applies to the INBDE?

Good luck folks! Hopefully you guys get to actually check out the programs.

My school strongly advised against taking NBDE 1 and 2, and pushed hard for everyone to take INBDE instead.. Anyone else experience the same?

Members don't see this ad :)
My school strongly advised against taking NBDE 1 and 2, and pushed hard for everyone to take INBDE instead.. Anyone else experience the same?
I'm in the same boat. I am hoping that program directors have been made aware of the transition and that many applicants will not be taking Part 1/Part 2

My school was the exact opposite!
We were heavily pushed to take Part 1 & 2 and not to wait for the INBDE to come out.

Any word on whether interviews will be in-person or virtual?

I will likely submit sometime in late august or early September, but when are supplemental due? I notice several programs require them to be physically mailed instead of submitted to ADEA PASS.

I will likely submit sometime in late august or early September, but when are supplemental due? I notice several programs require them to be physically mailed instead of submitted to ADEA PASS.
Supplemental info is usually due by the program's specific due date.

Can we start submitting supplemental fees (ie sending checks) before we submit our application on PASS?

Can we start submitting supplemental fees (ie sending checks) before we submit our application on PASS?
Yeah I’m sure you can. Also doesn’t hurt you if you submit first.
Question; will ALL programs contact you when they receive your application and if they are missing any supplemental info?

Yeah I’m sure you can. Also doesn’t hurt you if you submit first.
Question; will ALL programs contact you when they receive your application and if they are missing any supplemental info?
You would think so, but the majority of programs leave you contemplating if you submitting everything the right way. You can at least see if they cashed your check before they don't give you an interview.

Any word on whether interviews will be in-person or virtual?
My PD told me (South school here) it will be a mix with many programs that are opting for virtual to host some kind of program site visits for interested applicants. On another note does anyone know whether you would list OMFS specific clinical electives under dental experiences? Or just not really mention it.

Hi everyone!

Hope all is well. Representing UT Houston OMFS here. Just wanted to give everyone an update on what interviews will look like for the program. Due to the increasing number of COVID cases and "uncertainty" of what's to come, we will be hosting virtual interviews. However, we will also be hosting 2 open house sessions for anyone interested in the program to visit, get some happy hour, meet everyone, and check out the Houston Medical Center and the program. Things continue to evolve and more details are to come (such as dates). Our thought was that this would be the best of both worlds. My understanding is that coming to the open house (or not) will not affect your application or interview. We understand it's hard to travel, especially under these circumstances. Additionally, if you plan on joining us for the open house, your interview would still be virtual (and likely on a different date anyways). Please feel free to message me with any questions or concerns. Best of luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Hello. We are a southern program and our interviews will be virtual again this year based on recommendations of our health center. AAOMS is currently conducting a survey of all programs to verify their plans: "As AAOMS continues to monitor the ongoing COVID pandemic, we would like to reach out and ask you how your program is conducting upcoming interviews. If you could please advise if your program plans to hold interviews in person, virtually or via a hybrid option we would greatly appreciate you sharing that information with us." Wishing everyone the best of luck!

Hi everyone! Good luck as things get moving. I am completing MedStar's GME supplemental application and there is a space for a personal statement- I assume this is just for the same personal statement that we include on PASS? Or do they want an additional statement...

Guess I'll start, not sure about the 4 year since I only applied 6s.
UT Houston (6 year) 10/18, 10/25, 11/22, 12/6 - Email (8/10) Virtual with optional open house depending on COVID
Good luck to everyone applying

Reactions: 10 users
Which is the worse wait - waiting for your CBSE score to come back or waiting to see where you get interviews??

Reactions: 1 users
Not interview related but thought I would share:

Online Resource that I used for my CBSE Studying (OMFS CBSE) has just started a dedicated CBSE Forum and asked that I spread the word to anyone who is going to be beginning their CBSE journey or is re-taking. Great website and resources, truly would not have achieved my score (235) without it.
Had to flex the score

Got interview invite for Houston this morning, their four year program!

Not interview related but thought I would share:

Online Resource that I used for my CBSE Studying (OMFS CBSE) has just started a dedicated CBSE Forum and asked that I spread the word to anyone who is going to be beginning their CBSE journey or is re-taking. Great website and resources, truly would not have achieved my score (235) without it.
Mentioned in an earlier post, but I purchased their Anki Guide and would recommend to anyone who asked.

Which is the worse wait - waiting for your CBSE score to come back or waiting to see where you get interviews??

waiting for January match day after all the interviews were done. That’s when you know where your life is heading for the next 4-6 years.

Hello. We are a southern program and our interviews will be virtual again this year based on recommendations of our health center. AAOMS is currently conducting a survey of all programs to verify their plans: "As AAOMS continues to monitor the ongoing COVID pandemic, we would like to reach out and ask you how your program is conducting upcoming interviews. If you could please advise if your program plans to hold interviews in person, virtually or via a hybrid option we would greatly appreciate you sharing that information with us." Wishing everyone the best of luck!
U of Minnesota is currently planned for in-person on Nov. 18th, but that may change depending on how the University handles the recent COVID surge.

Reactions: 4 users
Advice to all applicants: apply to as many places as you can. Don’t be thrifty when it comes to this

Reactions: 3 users
Idk how Michigan used to be, but heard recently that faculties are very hands on and don’t allow residents to do a lot , their PA closes cases more than residents. Also Dr. Moe does almost the whole case but let the resident/ fellow mark the margins. I am very surprised tbh
Looks like we have a Michigan GUNNER in the house

It is called looking for a program to graduate as a competent not a surgical assistant
Michigan OMFS is well known how competitive it is for a reason so simply don’t apply there if you don’t feel that it is up to your level.

It is called looking for a program to graduate as a competent not a surgical assistant
Michigan OMFS is well known how competitive it is for a reason so simply don’t apply there if you don’t feel that it is up to your level.
It’s been said many times, the best program is the one you match into. There are 225 or so residents every year. Consider yourself lucky to be among them. Recognize that regardless of where you go there is a 90% chance you will be doing teeth and titanium to pay the bills.

Idk how Michigan used to be, but heard recently that faculties are very hands on and don’t allow residents to do a lot , their PA closes cases more than residents. Also Dr. Moe does almost the whole case but let the resident/ fellow mark the margins. I am very surprised tbh
Residents are actively involved in every case, in some more than others. Fellow-level surgery will be centered around the training of the fellow but resident responsibility in those cases increases as the year progresses, similar to most other programs. Our attendings are some of the most knowledgeable, skilled and reputable in the nation and they are invested in every trainee’s individual growth and progress. If you have any specific questions feel free to DM or reach out to the program. Good luck on the interview trail.

What's a good number of programs to apply to nowadays?

What's a good number of programs to apply to nowadays?
As many as you can afford to apply to. Its a numbers game. You have zero chance of getting an interview at a program you don't apply to. Who knows which program director(s) your application is going to stick out to. Might as well increase your odds by having your application go across more desks.
In the more recent cycles, it is becoming more common for 50-60 programs being checked off.
Just my thoughts....

As many as you can afford to apply to. Its a numbers game. You have zero chance of getting an interview at a program you don't apply to. Who knows which program director(s) your application is going to stick out to. Might as well increase your odds by having your application go across more desks.
In the more recent cycles, it is becoming more common for 50-60 programs being checked off.
Just my thoughts....
100% agree!

Do programs generally send out more than one round of interview invites?

Last edited:
UT Houston Interview Invite!

Reactions: 3 users
I wanted to post about a recent podcast with advice for folks applying to OMS residency. Teeth and Titanium podcast #13. near the end they discuss how to get into OMS. As a PD and someone in the field for about 15 years. This was the most comprehensive and insightful discussion of what, when, where, how, etc. I have come across for getting into OS. Please listen to it if possible for guidance on applying. I will be sharing this with the dental students that I work with who are interested in OS.

Reactions: 14 users