**Official 2022 OMFS PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I understand those flags. I am definitely open to non-cat internship if that will propel my application toward certainty in Matching. However, if you have read my post, you will see that I have already done three OMFS externships from 2012-2016. Since I graduated in 2016, I think I am no longer eligible to apply for externships. I know Ill have to score pretty good in CBSE. What score do you think I should be hoping and aiming for? Thank you for your feedback.
You will probably need a noncat esp if you've been in general dentistry private practice for so long. OMFS programs will not care about any of those implant fellowships - that's not OMFS. I don't think they'll care what score you have if you have done no externships, noncat or any other OMFS experience.

Members don't see this ad.

I understand those flags. I am definitely open to non-cat internship if that will propel my application toward certainty in Matching. However, if you have read my post, you will see that I have already done three OMFS externships from 2012-2016. Since I graduated in 2016, I think I am no longer eligible to apply for externships. I know Ill have to score pretty good in CBSE. What score do you think I should be hoping and aiming for? Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, but programs aren’t going to look at the three externships you did 5 years ago seriously. You’ll need to do a noncat. Plus, you need letters from OMFS. For cbse, 70+ for a 4 year or 80+ for a 6 year.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry, but programs aren’t going to look at the three externships you did 5 years ago seriously. You’ll need to do a noncat. Plus, you need letters from OMFS. For cbse, 70+ for a 4 year or 80+ for a 6 year.
Ehh I think the CBSE score is a bit inflated here, but I get your point. Yeah, if you’re 110% looking to grab 50%+ of your interviews, shoot for them. (I’m assuming you are.) Realistically, 75+ should get you 25% of all the places you apply. Apply broad and apply to 40+ programs.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there. I know this might be unrelated. I am a prospective applicant for the 2022-23 cycle. I have always been extremely passionate about OMFS. I graduated as an international student (Valedictorian) in 2012, graduated from an International Dental Student DDS Program in 2016. My rank was 31/77 (I know its a bummer), had a cGPA of 3.72, Dean's List, High Honors. Did two OMFS Externships in 2012 and one in 2016. Will be able to secure excellent LORs. Have been currently practicing as a General Dentist and have also secured multiple implant fellowships. However, I know my rank and the fact that I am applying 6 years after graduation are big flags. I am studying hard for my CBSE (taking it in August, 2021). I wanted to know if my profile appeared qualified enough to be even called up for interviews, if I secure a score between 70-80 on the CBSE. I have come across so many people who have shattered my hopes and demotivated me but I am still applying because OMFS is what I have always wanted to be!
I don't think you necessarily NEED a non-cat, though it never hurts to have one I guess? From what I've anecdotally gathered from the past few years cycle results, I don't think a non-cat is really going to do all that much for you without a good CBSE score, as well as vice versa, I don't think the absence of a non-cat will hurt you all that much if you do have a good CBSE score. Some people do 3 non-cats and still don't match. Others do private practice, take time off to crush the CBSE and match right away without having to go through the non-cat meat grinder. This is of course a generalization, but at the end of the day, to get interviews, it's just four letters that matter more than everything else by far: CBSE -- the average score and importance of which increase every year.... (importance because of less in person interaction and increase in application volume, so they're relying more heavily on CBSE scores to weed out candidates, regardless of whether or not you did 16 non-cat years or 0)

Is anyone planning on sending a letter of intent to their #1 program? I know this is somewhat common for medical residency applicants but not sure if people do it for OMFS.

Is anyone planning on sending a letter of intent to their #1 program? I know this is somewhat common for medical residency applicants but not sure if people do it for OMFS.
I would be too scared of writing a bad letter of intent and then the program second guesses me :slap:

PD Survey after survey has shown that post-interview communication is completely worthless. At best they remember your name, at worst it comes off as desperate. There is no need to send thank you notes, second looks, personal phone calls, etc. Send a thank you card if you want, but it will not affect your ranking.

edit:

We found that the subgroup of categorical applicants who indicated in their postinterview correspondence that they would rank the program first or highly more often were found in the bottom half of the rank order list. This suggests that weaker applicants may be more likely to communicate postinterview and may feel more compelled to make explicit statements of interest.
Relationship Between Postinterview Correspondence From Residency Program Applicants and Subsequent Applicant Match Outcomes

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Since this is anonymous, it would be nice to clear an elephant in the room. do programs actually send out any emails/contacts leading up to match day? I’ve heard that some do.

Does a lack of communication imply that one may not match?

To those of you that have matched previously to your #1, 2, or 3 spots: was there any communication from them?

Trying to dilute some doubt!

Cheers,

Since this is anonymous, it would be nice to clear an elephant in the room. do programs actually send out any emails/contacts leading up to match day? I’ve heard that some do.

Does a lack of communication imply that one may not match?

To those of you that have matched previously to your #1, 2, or 3 spots: was there any communication from them?

Trying to dilute some doubt!

Cheers,
Matched to my #1, zero communication from them post interview, including no replies to my thank you emails.

Reactions: 13 users
Did anyone ever end up hearing anything from Lincoln?

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone ever hear from cook about the pgy2 position?

Just me or are these final days leading up to match feeling like years? Thinking about each interview and whether the programs liked me as much as I liked them, or if they thought our conversations felt genuine like I did. Second cycle applying and just praying it works out this time. Question for PD's or current residents out there - do you usually end up liking the majority of the people you interview or do you only really click with a couple applicants each cycle?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just me or are these final days leading up to match feeling like years? Thinking about each interview and whether the programs liked me as much as I liked them, or if they thought our conversations felt genuine and down to earth like I did. Second cycle applying and just praying it works out this time. Question for PD's or current residents out there - do you usually end up liking the majority of the people you interview or do you feel you only really click with a couple applicants each cycle?

You’re thinking too much. Rank programs based on your feelings (not how you think the program liked you) submit your list, then go on vacation. Gotta get your mind off of it until match day.

Just me or are these final days leading up to match feeling like years? Thinking about each interview and whether the programs liked me as much as I liked them, or if they thought our conversations felt genuine and down to earth like I did. Second cycle applying and just praying it works out this time. Question for PD's or current residents out there - do you usually end up liking the majority of the people you interview or do you feel you only really click with a couple applicants each cycle?
You’ll click with most. It becomes like a large family

Me after certifying my rank list.

Attachments

• holy-spirit.gif
    holy-spirit.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 95
Reactions: 5 users
Dumb question, but do programs get insider info on how you ranked them after match day?

What time do match emails go out typically?
"Match result notification emails will be sent to all applicants and programs that submitted Rank Order Lists. The emails are sent on the morning of the Match Results Day with the intention of having all emails sent by 11:00 a.m. ET. Due to unreliable email exchanges and inbound servers, we cannot guarantee a delivery time for the emails.

Beginning at 12:00 p.m. noon Eastern Time on the Match Results Day, each registered applicant and program can log into the NMS Match System to access their personal Match result online."

"Match result notification emails will be sent to all applicants and programs that submitted Rank Order Lists. The emails are sent on the morning of the Match Results Day with the intention of having all emails sent by 11:00 a.m. ET. Due to unreliable email exchanges and inbound servers, we cannot guarantee a delivery time for the emails.

Beginning at 12:00 p.m. noon Eastern Time on the Match Results Day, each registered applicant and program can log into the NMS Match System to access their personal Match result online."
Yes, I also googled it. I was wondering historically what time the emails are typically sent out at.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I know a kid that got his results at 6 am mountain time. He checked his inbox for me today .

Got my email 8:06AM Eastern time. Didn’t sleep a wink. 😂

Annual traditional post, good luck everyone!

Match Eve poem by Mrs. Scarn

tWas the night before match day and all through the house
Not an applicant was sleeping, not even their spouse.
All the rank lists were numbered, submitted with care,
in the hopes that school "number one" soon would be theirs.

Hopefuls everywhere nestled snug in their beds,
while visions of third molars danced in their heads.
And me in my scrubs, i turned off the light,
and settled myself in for the world's longest night.

When from my iPhone there came such a clatter,
i sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the charger I ran in a dash; the screen came alive in a brilliant white flash.

The box on the screen blinked to notify me
It had just received an email that I needed to see.
And what to my wondering eyes should appear
but a subject line saying omfs match finally here!

In a rush of adrenaline, my patience was gone.
I'm done with this waiting, let the match bring it on!
As true as sdn my confidence came, and I whistled, and shouted, and called them by name!

Now parkland! Now, Vanderbilt! Now, San Antonio or Unc!
On, Baylor! On, Oregon! On, Florida or Kentucky!
To my life's next six years! Now don't make me wait!
Now bring it on! Tell me! Show me my fate!

As if in slow motion, the email opened up.
My eyes scanned the page, my fingers crossed for luck.
In confusion I searched, come on, what's the catch?
And then, in awful clarity, the words, "you did not match".

My body went limp, eyes rolled back in my head.
My life flashed before my eyes. I fell back on the bed.
My throat was closing in! My lungs found no air!
My hands clawed my throat, and ripped out my hair!

This just couldn't be right! Was my mind playing tricks?
Could I really go on? Add another year to six?!
What had I done wrong? What qualities did I lack?
I must run far away and never come back!

"No, no!" moaned my voice in an unearthly tone.
I was ruined, defeated... The match had won!
I writhed in my misery, sweat soaking my scrubs.
I pled for some assistance, some help from above!

I opened my eyes to a glimmer of light, the clock on my nightstand showing midnight.
I bolted up straight, and off the bed I fell.
Somehow I had slept-and dreamed myself into hell!

I gasped for a breath, I reached for my phone.
No new messages! The email from hades was gone!
I laugh in hysterics, I feel I could dance! My fate yet undecided! I have another chance!

The night is still young. Several hours remain,
enough for at least 10 more nightmares of the same.
My pulse starts to slow, my head is finally clear.
There's still 6 dreaded hours until match day is here!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 20 users
We made it to the final day y’all. 12 more hours to go, wishing everyone the best! Have your support system close and your drinks closer.

Reactions: 8 users
Details and stats!

Reactions: 7 users
Program Matched: Nova/Broward Health
Dental School Attended: Penn
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2022
International Student (yes/no): Canadian
CBSE scores: 217
Class Ranking/Size: Unranked
Externship(s)/where: 6/ Monte, Houston, San Antonio, Shreveport, Nova, Penn
Research: 1 Pub
Extracurriculars: Clubs, Entrepreneurship
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: Matched to #1

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to everyone who matched! Penn matched 10/11. Rutgers, Parkland, Texas A&M, UF Gainesville, UF Jacksonville, Penn, St. Joe’s, Nova and Med Star.

Do they publish stats of CBSE scores for matched/unmatched , 4 year and 6 year separately?

Anyone mind posting open (unmatched) spots?

Alright, which one of you saucy dogs is my co-resident.
BU-Goldman/BMC 4yr

Congrats to all those who participated in the interview and match process this year.

We are conducting a survey involving program directors and applicants to assess the use of virtual interviews on assessing programs and applicants and the ranking process. We would like to formulate guidelines for programs that reflect applicant concerns. Please take a few minutes to fill out the survey, which can be found on the AAOMS Resident COVID-19 Connect Page at COVID-19 Updates | AAOMS

Or a direct link: OMS Applicant Survey

Hello all,

Congrats to those that matched!

Columbia has 2 open GPR positions that essentially act as OS non-categorical spots. You take OS call and are heavily involved with the OMFS team including the OR and in the clinic. Call is usually q7. Great opportunity for someone thinking about OMS but still wants a little exposure to general dentistry or someone who applied into OMS and did not get a spot this round looking for a non-cat spot. DM me if interested.

Thanks!

AS OF MARCH 9TH, WE STILL HAVE TWO NON-CATEGORICAL INTERN POSITIONS AVAILABLE. PLEASE FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW TO APPLY!

Congratulations to everyone that matched! For anyone looking for a non-categorical internship experience that is second to none, please consider this opportunity.

LSU Oral & Maxillofacial Non-Categorical Internship Opportunity

The oral & maxillofacial surgery department at Louisiana State University in New Orleans has non-categorical intern positions available for the 2022-2023 year. We are looking for dedicated OMFS applicants eager to gain diverse experience in the field of OMFS. Our scope includes malignant pathology, microvascular reconstruction, orthognathic surgery, trauma surgery, temporomandibular joint surgery, benign pathology, dentoalveolar/sedations, and cosmetic cases. Our non-categorical interns have a hands on learning experience and typically match into the program of their of their choice in the following year. Categorical and non-categorical interns cover clinics at University Medical Center and LSU School of Dentistry in New Orleans as well as our site in Baton Rouge. Interns assist in the operating room, directly care for patients in various settings, and take call at one of the highest volume level 1 trauma centers in the southeast. Here at LSU we work to build a culture collegiality to foster a team-centered environment. We've designed an experience that will facilitate a smooth transition into residency for all of our non-categorical interns.

These are paid positions. Please have CV and CBSE scores for consideration!

For more information please contact our program director:
Jessica Helgeson Markey, MBA
[email protected]

Last edited:
Non-Categorical Internship Positions (Non-Categorical PGY-1) available at Woodhull Medical Center Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.

The Woodhull OMFS program is an accredited 4-year OMFS Program in Brooklyn, New York. We practice broad scope OMFS and offer our residents the opportunity to serve patients in an exciting and highly diverse environment. 3 out of 3 of our current non-categorical interns matched into an OMFS Program this past 2022 cycle (4-year and 6 year). We participate in the Match and offer 2 categorical positions each year. We are looking for hard-working, self-motivated individuals to join our team this upcoming 2022-2023 year. Time off will be granted for any interviews in addition to your vacation.

The Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the Woodhull Medical Center will offer 4 non-categorical intern positions starting July 1st 2022. Please note: Eligible candidates must have completed a 1-year GPR with valid certificate or have a valid NY state dental license prior to starting.

Primary responsibilities will include the following:
1. Dentoalveolar surgery in a busy outpatient setting
2. Participation in the call schedule, responding to consults for maxillofacial trauma, oro-facial infections, and additional emergent conditions
3. Pre/peri/postoperative management in the in-patient setting

Educational opportunities provided by the internship program will include:

1) Weekly didactic lectures covering the entire scope of oral and maxillofacial surgery
2) Participation in weekly Grand Rounds
3) An introductory History and Physical course
4) Exposure to the management of oral and maxillofacial surgery disease and deformities in the operating room setting

Interns will receive the salary and benefits of a categorical PGY1 resident.
Further information about the program and its history can be found at:
Department of Dentistry/Department of Maxillofacial Surgery Residency Programs

The following documentation is required for consideration:
1) Graduate of a ADA accredited dental school
2) 3 letters of recommendation
 (2 of whom are Oral Surgeons )
3) CBSE score (if taken)

4) Dental school transcripts
5) Current CV

If you applied this previous cycle, please forward us your completed PASS application via email.
If you did not apply this cycle, please forward the above documentation via email.

If you are interested, please email required documents to the following email:
[email protected]

Jennifer Clouden (Residency Coordinator) on behalf of:
Earl Clarkson, DDS
Chairman and Program Director of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Woodhull Medical Center
Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
760 Broadway | Brooklyn, NY 11206

Applicants who are selected for interviews will be notified through email. We may request additional documents if necessary.

Thanks and good luck!

Hi Everyone,

Our GPR program at Columbia/NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital was approved for an additional resident to start July 1st. Essentially the position act as OS non-categorical spots. You take OS call and are heavily involved with the OMFS team including the OR and in the clinic. Call is usually q7. Great opportunity for someone thinking about OMS but still wants a little exposure to general dentistry or someone who applied into OMS and did not get a spot this round looking for a non-cat spot. DM me if interested.