Official AADSAS Q&A Thread 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I shadowed a certain dentist over the course of two years but it was on/off as I was co-oping for two different semesters. Do I just average the time I shadowed him over those two years into a single experience or break it up into different experiences depending on the semesters that I shadowed him?

Members don't see this ad.

If I received more than one minor in undergrad and a single major, how would I reflect this on the application?

My AP credits on my official transcript are lumped all together: it just lists the number of credits earned, with no reference to courses or what the test is. How should I enter them? My school does list the tests and credits received individually but it is NOT on the transcript. What should I do?
Would contact AADSAS about this. They may require you to send a CollegeBoard AP Score report to schools, or have some other way to specify what courses you earned credits for.
I shadowed a certain dentist over the course of two years but it was on/off as I was co-oping for two different semesters. Do I just average the time I shadowed him over those two years into a single experience or break it up into different experiences depending on the semesters that I shadowed him?
I would put the start and end dates, and put in the description what the specifics were.
If I received more than one minor in undergrad and a single major, how would I reflect this on the application?
I had one major and two minors, and listed the second minor under ECs, something like "Minor in X"/Academic Enrichment if I remember correctly..

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello All,
So I have a quick question about listing all the different college transcripts.
During high school, I took an algebra course at a community college, which I know I will have to list and have already gone ahead and done so.
But at the time I had also taken a high school level economics class through the BYU-high school independent study program. I called their office and they said that it is considered just a high school class and that I don't have to list it in AADSAS but I just wanted to double-check with you guys first.
So I am essentially stuck on this point:
It is a high school class.... so I probably don't need to list it
but I took it at a school other than my high school..... so I do need to list it?

I am probably just overthinking all of this and worrying for nothing but any thoughts y'all might have would be a great help!

Hi, I'm at crossroads here and panicking pretty badly because I'm afraid that a class I took in high school will affect my GPA. It was a physics course at a community college that I took in my second year of high school which I got a C in. I was pretty bad at physics back in the day so I just took the course to improve for my high school physics courses. I submitted the transcript for that class to my undergrad school when I was applying for colleges and I had no idea it might affect my dental school app because I didn't even know I would want to go into dentistry at the time. I got credits for that class in my undergrad and it appears in my unofficial transcript so I'm really afraid I'll have to list that in my app. I worked my butt off to maintain a GPA I was really proud of and it just sucks that it'll drop because of a summer class I took a long time ago.

Is there any way to avoid this?
Would I need to list that community college in "colleges and universities attended" and order a transcript?
Would some schools not calculate it into my AADSAS GPA?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
I was in a similar position, so I know it can be scary to feel like you're sabotaging your application by including it. But, I just wanted to let you know that it won't hurt your chances too badly, especially if you have an undergrad GPA that you can be proud of. I used the "anything else you want to add?" question to briefly explain why I did poorly, what I have learned from that experience, and how it has made me a better student.

Hello! I wanted to know if anyone has some guidance about where to place being a Resident Assistant (RA) in the experience section. The RA role gives free room and board but its also calculated into financial aid and is not paid directly to the student, nor any monetary stipend given (at least for my institution). should this be under employment? or Extracurricular activities? or maybe even volunteering. Thanks

I was in a similar position, so I know it can be scary to feel like you're sabotaging your application by including it. But, I just wanted to let you know that it won't hurt your chances too badly, especially if you have an undergrad GPA that you can be proud of. I used the "anything else you want to add?" question to briefly explain why I did poorly, what I have learned from that experience, and how it has made me a better student.
Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I feel a lot more confident now, and I'll definitely take your advice and try to explain the whole situation in the app. I feel much more optimistic after thinking about it for a while, thank you!

Hi,

For schools that have a separate application fee (like Rutgers) do we submit that with the primary application? Or only when we hear back about the secondary application?

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using SDN mobile

How does professional transcript entry work? Once AADSAS receives your transcript will they input your transcripts once you pay for the service? Or do they not input your transcripts until you submit your entire application?

The majority of my volunteering was done in dental clinics as a volunteer dental assistant. Since the volunteering section specifically says "volunteering done outside the dental field," how bad is it that I would only have a 1-2 volunteering things from my sophomore year like 2 years ago?

I was wondering do I have to enter labs for the transcript entry. My official transcript doesn’t list any labs. 4 credit courses have assumed to come with a non graded lab. Do I still have to enter them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Under program materials where it lists each school, are we supposed to fill out the school specific questions now/before we submit our application? Or are those the school's supplemental questions and should they be completed at a later time?

Hello All,
So I have a quick question about listing all the different college transcripts.
During high school, I took an algebra course at a community college, which I know I will have to list and have already gone ahead and done so.
But at the time I had also taken a high school level economics class through the BYU-high school independent study program. I called their office and they said that it is considered just a high school class and that I don't have to list it in AADSAS but I just wanted to double-check with you guys first.
So I am essentially stuck on this point:
It is a high school class.... so I probably don't need to list it
but I took it at a school other than my high school..... so I do need to list it?

I am probably just overthinking all of this and worrying for nothing but any thoughts y'all might have would be a great help!
If you took it at BYU and can get a transcript with a grade, I would list it. If you took it at your highschool, then I wouldn't? But, better safe than sorry.
Hello! I wanted to know if anyone has some guidance about where to place being a Resident Assistant (RA) in the experience section. The RA role gives free room and board but its also calculated into financial aid and is not paid directly to the student, nor any monetary stipend given (at least for my institution). should this be under employment? or Extracurricular activities? or maybe even volunteering. Thanks
This one is a tricky one - I'd ask your advisors what they think. Tagging @Mr.Smile12 for this question too.
Hi,

For schools that have a separate application fee (like Rutgers) do we submit that with the primary application? Or only when we hear back about the secondary application?

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using SDN mobile
Look at the school's website - Rutgers specifically states no supplemental and to pay the fee when contacted.
1590603611068.png

How does professional transcript entry work? Once AADSAS receives your transcript will they input your transcripts once you pay for the service? Or do they not input your transcripts until you submit your entire application?
Never used it but I'd imagine they input your transcripts once you pay for the service, and later when you submit your application & pay your application fees, they'll verify your GPAs. The way I understand it is you're just paying someone to go through your transcripts and type them into your application vs. you doing it yourself, cause it's a pretty time consuming process.
The majority of my volunteering was done in dental clinics as a volunteer dental assistant. Since the volunteering section specifically says "volunteering done outside the dental field," how bad is it that I would only have a 1-2 volunteering things from my sophomore year like 2 years ago?
It's fine
I was wondering do I have to enter labs for the transcript entry. My official transcript doesn’t list any labs. 4 credit courses have assumed to come with a non graded lab. Do I still have to enter them?

I answered this in post #40 about halfway in that post. Short answer, no, but keep syllabi.
Under program materials where it lists each school, are we supposed to fill out the school specific questions now/before we submit our application? Or are those the school's supplemental questions and should they be completed at a later time?
Those are the supplementals and they have to be completed before you submit your app to that school and pay the application fee. Once you submit, you can't go back and answer those questions/change your answers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to know if anyone has some guidance about where to place being a Resident Assistant (RA) in the experience section. The RA role gives free room and board but its also calculated into financial aid and is not paid directly to the student, nor any monetary stipend given (at least for my institution). should this be under employment? or Extracurricular activities? or maybe even volunteering.
Great question because it doesn't really fit anywhere. As described by the poster, it could also fall under extracurricular activities according to the suggested descriptions from ADEA AADSAS (under Experiences): Supporting Information .

Reactions: 1 users
Is 2 science profs + 1 dentist + 1 work supervisor better than 3 science profs + 1 dentist LORs? My third science prof doesn't really know me at all but it's just a letter I need for the schools that require 3 profs. My supervisor knows me a lot better and has seen me work and communicate with other students for almost a year. I am currently planning on using my supervisor LOR in one of the slots on AADSAS and asking my third prof to send it directly to those few schools. Does anyone have input on this? Thank you!

I have another question. Currently my dentist whom I’ve shadowed with all semester isn’t responding to my emails I sent (2) and I am scheduled for an interview for my committee letter from my PreDental/Health Committee.. is the letter from the committee equivalent to the 3 LOR some schools require? Should I email my dentist again or forget about the letter from her and rely on the committee letter solely ?

I'm working on manually entering the courses for transcript section. My school considers 1 unit = 3.5 semester hour. and I have a 0.25 unit in one class that would convert to 0.875 semester hours. But the highest number from the credit option is .75 Which number should I put it as?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 11.07.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 11.07.22 PM.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 68
My AP credits on my official transcript are lumped all together: it just lists the number of credits earned, with no reference to courses or what the test is. How should I enter them? My school does list the tests and credits received individually but it is NOT on the transcript. What should I do?
List them as it appears on the additional list provided by your school! If there is a way fro you to request the school to send that list together with the transcript, that would be even better! Good luck!

I have another question. Currently my dentist whom I’ve shadowed with all semester isn’t responding to my emails I sent (2) and I am scheduled for an interview for my committee letter from my PreDental/Health Committee.. is the letter from the committee equivalent to the 3 LOR some schools require? Should I email my dentist again or forget about the letter from her and rely on the committee letter solely ?

Dentists are overwhelmed with COVID-related matters. Chances are he/she isn't checking the email. Call their office - this wouldn't be too much in the given climate!

Is 2 science profs + 1 dentist + 1 work supervisor better than 3 science profs + 1 dentist LORs? My third science prof doesn't really know me at all but it's just a letter I need for the schools that require 3 profs. My supervisor knows me a lot better and has seen me work and communicate with other students for almost a year. I am currently planning on using my supervisor LOR in one of the slots on AADSAS and asking my third prof to send it directly to those few schools. Does anyone have input on this? Thank you!
No combination is any better than another. You can do as you're planning and put your supervisor letter on AADSAS and just have the 3rd science professor individually send in their letter to the schools that require it.

Yes, committee letters are usually sufficient for the LOR requirements schools have BUT if the school requires a letter from a dentist, you'll need to get one since the committee letters are usually just academic letters. I'd email again and also call to see what's going on.
I'm working on manually entering the courses for transcript section. My school considers 1 unit = 3.5 semester hour. and I have a 0.25 unit in one class that would convert to 0.875 semester hours. But the highest number from the credit option is .75 Which number should I put it as?
You don't convert to semester hours for the app - you're supposed to input your transcript exactly. So you'd input 0.25 units as that's what they're asking for.

Hi everyone, thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully answer my question!

During my freshman year of high school, I attended a 6-month enrichment program at VCU dental school intended to attract students to the dental field. Needless to say, it worked. We learned about dental instruments, procedures, and used DentSim to practice drilling. Since my freshman year of high school, I engaged in dentistry related experiences such as shadowing and volunteering at dental practices. Should I include these experiences in my application? I think it shows my dedication and commitment to the field, but I also think it may be too far back to consider relevant.

Thanks again!

In the experiences section, should I highlight different experiences than the ones I mentioned in my personal statement to avoid being redundant, or should I highlight the same ones to emphasize the importance of the experiences?

Hi everyone, thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully answer my question!

During my freshman year of high school, I attended a 6-month enrichment program at VCU dental school intended to attract students to the dental field. Needless to say, it worked. We learned about dental instruments, procedures, and used DentSim to practice drilling. Since my freshman year of high school, I engaged in dentistry related experiences such as shadowing and volunteering at dental practices. Should I include these experiences in my application? I think it shows my dedication and commitment to the field, but I also think it may be too far back to consider relevant.

Thanks again!
I'd talk about it in your PS because I do think it's too old to include in your app. Use it in your PS to show how you discovered dentistry to start with.
In the experiences section, should I highlight different experiences than the ones I mentioned in my personal statement to avoid being redundant, or should I highlight the same ones to emphasize the importance of the experiences?
I don't think it matters..... I wouldn't overthink it haha. Keep them as two separate parts of your app and just highlight the ones you feel are the most important when you look at your list of activities.

No combination is any better than another. You can do as you're planning and put your supervisor letter on AADSAS and just have the 3rd science professor individually send in their letter to the schools that require it.

Yes, committee letters are usually sufficient for the LOR requirements schools have BUT if the school requires a letter from a dentist, you'll need to get one since the committee letters are usually just academic letters. I'd email again and also call to see what's going on.

You don't convert to semester hours for the app - you're supposed to input your transcript exactly. So you'd input 0.25 units as that's what they're asking for.
I'm little confused, adea said credit units should be converted into semester hours. I guess they do it for you after you submit the application?

1) Follow the LOR requirements at the school with the most stringent criteria (professors vs. dentists)
2) Quality of letter is always better than quantity.

Yes, academic enrichment programs should be included in your experiences inventory. I know you were a participant in high school, but there aren't that many programs of its type, especially if run by admins at VCU dental. (Like artist2022 suggested, if you find a place to put it in your PS, you can.)

I took a UConn college physics course (Physics 1201Q) in high school, but it is not considered an AP. I am not sure if I should add it as a separate school or under the same college I attend now (CCSU), for the transcript portion of the application. If I were to put it under a different school, should I put my year as a freshman? Please let me know if you know how to go about this! Thank you!

So...
I'm an applicant going for this year's cycle
and in my process of writing up the application, I realized that we have to send in the transcript along with the request form from the AADSAS.
If it was just ordering the official transcript, I can simply order it online with the recipient's address.
However, because I need the school to send it with the form, I need to give them the form in person
but all my previous schools I attended are closed due to covid-19.

Is anybody else facing the same issue here?
If you do, do you guys know if there is a way to order an official transcript with the request form attached to it online?

Thank you!

for pass/no pass classes, how do we indicate the grade recieved? would it be CR or just P for pass?

If i have experience working at a research lab or volunteering at a dental school and put that on my application, would that be a negative factor for other dental schools that I apply to?

What subjects are in the realm of a "science professor" for letters of recommendations? Are Psychology professors considered a "science professor"?

I took a UConn college physics course (Physics 1201Q) in high school, but it is not considered an AP. I am not sure if I should add it as a separate school or under the same college I attend now (CCSU), for the transcript portion of the application. If I were to put it under a different school, should I put my year as a freshman? Please let me know if you know how to go about this! Thank you!
You have to add UConn as a university and state that you took it there. You'd put your year as freshman, and later select it as "Dual enrollment". You'd also need to request a transcript from UConn and submit it to AADSAS.
So...
I'm an applicant going for this year's cycle
and in my process of writing up the application, I realized that we have to send in the transcript along with the request form from the AADSAS.
If it was just ordering the official transcript, I can simply order it online with the recipient's address.
However, because I need the school to send it with the form, I need to give them the form in person
but all my previous schools I attended are closed due to covid-19.

Is anybody else facing the same issue here?
If you do, do you guys know if there is a way to order an official transcript with the request form attached to it online?

Thank you!
I'd contact the transcript service (like NationalStudentClearinghouse, etc.) and ask them how you can upload the match form. I was able to attach it directly when I requested a transcript through NSC for my school.
for pass/no pass classes, how do we indicate the grade recieved? would it be CR or just P for pass?
I'd put P for pass. CR is more for AP/IB/etc. credit I believe.
If i have experience working at a research lab or volunteering at a dental school and put that on my application, would that be a negative factor for other dental schools that I apply to?
No.
What subjects are in the realm of a "science professor" for letters of recommendations? Are Psychology professors considered a "science professor"?
Science is Biochem, Bio, Chem, Other Science and Physics. Look at this list to see what courses fit into each of those categories: ADEA AADSAS Course Subjects. It looks like your psych professor's letter would not really count as science.

Hello!
I was wondering where I would put abstracts/ research publications/ research presentations I have authored in on the dent app? Is it considered an achievement?
Thank you !

Hi, I have a question regarding the transcript review process. I finished putting in all my transcripts, have sent my transcripts to AADSAS, what now? Do I have to first submit my application when it opens on June 16th for them to review it for mistakes?

Hello!
I was wondering where I would put abstracts/ research publications/ research presentations I have authored in on the dent app? Is it considered an achievement?
Thank you !
Yes - I'd put them under achievements.
Hi, I have a question regarding the transcript review process. I finished putting in all my transcripts, have sent my transcripts to AADSAS, what now? Do I have to first submit my application when it opens on June 16th for them to review it for mistakes?
Yes - they don't do anything until you've paid them, and you can only do this/submit on 6/16 onward.

Hi everyone!
Do you know if we can submit our AADSAS application before our letters of rec are in? Will schools even consider you before your LORs are in?

I took two psych courses that were very neuro heavy. I've been told that since they were conducted like a biology course that should count towards my science GPA. The course title lists them as "psychology," so I was wondering if I should label these classes as a "psychology" or as a "biology" under the subject tab? Also, if it is recommended that I list it as "psychology" as the subject, how can I ensure that ADEA counts them towards my science GPA?

hello! does anyone have experience with entering a class that has a subtopic on a transcript into the AADSAS transcripts? not too sure how I should add it onto one line. On my transcript it looks like this with the second line being indented
"Special Topic in Ed
Sub Topic: First Year Fellowship"

If I have an interview August 4th for my Comintern letter which is the day I’d get my raw scores from my DAT. Should I submit my AADSAS application before August 4th. Or can I submit without letters of recommendation?

If I have an interview August 4th for my Committee letter which is the day I’d get my raw scores from my DAT. Should I submit my AADSAS application before August 4th. Or can I submit without letters of recommendation?

Yes, academic enrichment programs should be included in your experiences inventory. I know you were a participant in high school, but there aren't that many programs of its type, especially if run by admins at VCU dental. (Like artist2022 suggested, if you find a place to put it in your PS, you can.)

Thanks for your help! I decided to enter it, but do I label the experience as "volunteer" or "received academic credit"? Those are the only applicable labels but neither is accurate.

Hello,
I wanted to know if I should include babysitting under employment on my application?
I would say definitely! I would even try to connect it to what you learned about interacting with children that could help you in a dental setting.

hello my professor who is writing my letter of recommendation is unsure how to upload the letter. are there step by step instructions I can send him to help him?

hello my professor who is writing my letter of recommendation is unsure how to upload the letter. are there step by step instructions I can send him to help him?
You input his email and info into AADSAS on the LOR page. It send him an email with directions on how to upload and a link to do so.

if i get a letter of recommendation that is written by a graduate student instructor, but is cosigned by a science professor does that also count as a letter from science professor? (ex. if it is uploaded onto adea by the instructor but has a cosign by the professor)

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

My AADSAS will be ready to submit when it opens up on June 16th (transcript is uploaded, DAT scores are entered. However, I am receiving a committee letter from my university, and my advisor notified me that this will not be uploaded to AADSAS until July 15th. My dentist letter is being uploaded by the end of June.

Will schools ignore my application until all my letters are uploaded to AADSAS? Does not having my letters uploaded until the 15th negatively impact me (i.e. is that late?)? I feel slightly nervous about this. Thank you so much!

Hi everyone!
Do you know if we can submit our AADSAS application before our letters of rec are in? Will schools even consider you before your LORs are in?
I think you can submit before letters are in, but I don't think you'd be able to make any changes once you've submitted - ie, if a letter writer later tells you they can't write your letter for you, I'm not sure if you'd be easily able to change the info you've already submitted and input a new recommender's information...
To your second question, likely no because your application is not considered complete until all aspects are in. Some schools may review you nonetheless, but some may wait until your application is complete.
I took two psych courses that were very neuro heavy. I've been told that since they were conducted like a biology course that should count towards my science GPA. The course title lists them as "psychology," so I was wondering if I should label these classes as a "psychology" or as a "biology" under the subject tab? Also, if it is recommended that I list it as "psychology" as the subject, how can I ensure that ADEA counts them towards my science GPA?
They're psych classes so you'll have to list them under psych. I think psych counts under behavioral science so it would count under your sGPA, but there's no way to "make sure" AADSAS does something you want them to - it's up to them to decide how to classify the class and from there, decide if it counts in your sGPA or not.
hello! does anyone have experience with entering a class that has a subtopic on a transcript into the AADSAS transcripts? not too sure how I should add it onto one line. On my transcript it looks like this with the second line being indented
"Special Topic in Ed
Sub Topic: First Year Fellowship"
I'd probably try to fit it all in one line, like "Special Topic in Ed, Sub Topic: First Year Fellowship".
If I have an interview August 4th for my Comintern letter which is the day I’d get my raw scores from my DAT. Should I submit my AADSAS application before August 4th. Or can I submit without letters of recommendation?

See my first response at the top of this current post.
if i get a letter of recommendation that is written by a graduate student instructor, but is cosigned by a science professor does that also count as a letter from science professor? (ex. if it is uploaded onto adea by the instructor but has a cosign by the professor)
Tricky, I'd probably lean to likely no. Your letter writers must be professors that you've taken a class with, not grad student TAs... @Mr.Smile12, thoughts on this one?
Hi everyone!

My AADSAS will be ready to submit when it opens up on June 16th (transcript is uploaded, DAT scores are entered. However, I am receiving a committee letter from my university, and my advisor notified me that this will not be uploaded to AADSAS until July 15th. My dentist letter is being uploaded by the end of June.

Will schools ignore my application until all my letters are uploaded to AADSAS? Does not having my letters uploaded until the 15th negatively impact me (i.e. is that late?)? I feel slightly nervous about this. Thank you so much!
See my first response at the top of this current post. July is not late.

Hi everyone!

If I am planning to take a course sometime before matriculation, but am not enrolled it in for next semester (doesn't show up as "in-progress" on my transcript), can I still list it as in-progress/planned on AADSAS? Or is this not allowed since I'm not enrolled in it for the fall semester? Thanks!

So, I was homeschooled through my junior year in high school. My last two years I got an associates at a community college, then whet from there.

During community college I gained a whole bunch of experiences, and volunteer hours. Technically, it was still high school you usually aren't supposed to put these experiences down, but, I'm thinking this may be an exception because my all my grades during this time counted towards my later biomed degree.

What do you think, should I include these experiences?